Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, TXpride said:

It wasn't too long ago that Herman was pulling top 5 classes.. then recruits saw the product on the field and said thanks but no thanks. Cristobal is about a year behind Tom on that timeline.

Let's be real about those classes.. they were skill position heavy..  We all knew it was light along the OL and DL.. something Mario excels at bringing.  He nailed a top DE and top OT, it would be different.

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I know I know we can't hire a non HC.....

I'm starting to lean "Fuck that shit." For one, this "WE'RE TEXAS BY GOD WE CAN'T HIRE A NON HC" ignores the possibility that maybe we're NOT Texas... or maybe Texas means something completely different than we think it does. Also it ignores just how many top programs have first time HCs at the helm. Ohio State. Oklahoma. Clemson. 

Maybe we're not special enough anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

fuck if we ever start losing to Tech year in and year out and they join the club of teams we have been consistently losing to (going 1-4, 1-3 over the next 4-5 years) just shut it fucking down. Laughing. Stock. 

TCU is any better?

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

TCU is any better?

historically no, but they do currently have the best coach they will ever have.  Won a Rose Bowl and went 13-0 in 2011. But talent wise you're right we should only lose to them once ever 8-10 years. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

those were HCIW situations. 

Sure. But maybe there's a HCIW, or similar type coach somewhere you can take and put here. Obviously our former HC hires don't work out. We aren't shit. We gotta stop acting like we are. We're trying to get back to a place. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

this was my plan b if urban walked. it's quite literally the worst plan b ever and it throws the entire program in the trash. so yeah, let's do it.

Oh I'm convinced CDC has some Plan B candidates. The question is do the Plan B hires move the guys paying Herman's buyout? I'd imagine probably not. Yeah, these guys have fuck you money but would you want to part with 15 million for Cristobal or Franklin?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For those of you earlier suggesting Pat Fitzgerald - the rumor du jour is that the Bear are targeting Fitzgerald for their head coach job once the current incompetents finish out the string.

I think he is basically a Matt Rhule type hire before the huge NFL contract.  Really he has much more track record than Rhule does.  Not saying he is an Urban Meyer slam dunk type hire, but he has a winning record in the Big Ten over 14 years at Northwestern.  

He is no flash in the pan and we could do much worse I think.

I think he is a solid Plan B type guy to consider.

Here’s the whole keep tom because you didn’t get your guy so why settle argument.

Who the fuck is available next year that’s any different than right now? A new up and comer similar to Charlie and Tom we don’t know about yet? CDC said what he’s looking for a guy that has won and maintained two programs at the least and that list of guys isn’t changing this time next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Hmm going the Venebles route has appeal to it.

It would be along similar lines of OU grabbing Stoops...

I know I know we can't hire a non HC.....

I am not sure why UT has this line of thinking. OU has done it twice recently (Stoops & Riley) and one could argue have had far great sustained success than Texas has with their approach of only hiring proven head coaches.

I am not advocating that Texas hires a hotshot OC/DC I just don't know why Texas feels they couldn't

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, mdmost said:

That was 22 years ago. 

Somehow other schools manage to find young coordinators and turn them into great head coaches. There are like 3-5 guys that apparently fit the profile of a sure thing proven head coach that we apparently want to hire and none of them are coming here - they aren't coming next season either.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm starting to lean "Fuck that shit." For one, this "WE'RE TEXAS BY GOD WE CAN'T HIRE A NON HC" ignores the possibility that maybe we're NOT Texas... or maybe Texas means something completely different than we think it does. Also it ignores just how many top programs have first time HCs at the helm. Ohio State. Oklahoma. Clemson. 

Maybe we're not special enough anymore.

all 3 of those jobs had situations where the replacement was already on staff and took over for the prior guy - either on an interim role (Swinney) or in a weird health-associated situation (Day & Riley) - let's add in Jimbo based on his FSU results as well.

How many top level programs hired someone with no HC experience and who were not on staff - learning on the job is hard as hell, add in everything off the field that comes with the job at any blue blood (much less Texas) - and were successful?

Even when you have guys on staff it doesn't mean it will work...see Mark Helfrich at Oregon, David Shaw at Stanford, Clay Helton at USC, etc

Edited by NoName

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

I am not sure why UT has this line of thinking. OU has done it twice recently (Stoops & Riley) and one could argue have had far great sustained success than Texas has with their approach of only hiring proven head coaches.

I am not advocating that Texas hires a hotshot OC/DC I just don't know why Texas feels they couldn't

Because we have unrealistic expectations of this program bc of a guy who coached in the 60s and a period from like 2004-2009

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Because we have this sense of entitlement that we get what we want and it's gunna work. It doesn't. It hasn't. Urban was the sure thing. Now do what a real AD is supposed to do, do your homework and go get the "Right" guy. 

Just now, 6th Street said:

Dan Mullen is getting ready for the SEC championship. Why on earth would he take on a rebuild here? We lose our QB, LT, and only pass rusher. 

Come on, man. We're Texas. Who wouldn't want to come here and rebuild with our patient fanbase supporting you all the way?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Randolph Duke coming in trying to spin this as him being right--after all of that CDC/Hartzell moral fiber and integrity bullshit--is just the tits.

An aggy coming in trying to spin this as me claiming to have been right.

I believe my exact quote was "*I don't care what the story is, as long as that human piece of shit isn't hired by UT Austin."

You aggys are amazing. You did the exact same thing in 2012 - one of the very few years you finish above .500 in conference play and you see your program as something special. 9 fucking FBS wins in a season is the most any aggy program has managed since the 1990s. lol.

Try sticking to the facts. I understand facts make aggys very uncomfortable, but this is our sandbox so try to play by the rules of educated people and not paste-eating racist rednecks.

Oh, and have a nice day!

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 minute ago, NoName said:

all 3 of those jobs had situations where the replacement was already on staff and took over for the prior guy - either on an interim role (Swinney) or in a weird health-associated situation (Day & Riley) - let's add in Jimbo based on his FSU results as well.

How many top level programs hired someone with no HC experience and who were not on staff - learning on the job is hard as hell, add in everything off the field that comes with the job at any blue blood (much less Texas) - and were successful?

They also tend to be learning on the job from a pretty good coach.  Until we get “the coach” in place that can teach the OC/DC how to run a program correctly we will never have this situation.  Oh, and Herman ain’t the coach to be teaching his staff how to run a program.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

How many top level programs hired someone with no HC experience and who were not on staff -

Are we counting 2 years at Iowa State (5-19) and a year at Arkansas State as "HC experience"? 

If not, Auburn has done it twice with mixed success.

I've really enjoyed the thread and was engaged a bit with the football program again.  Much appreciated.  I'm not a huge donor or anything, but I have done my part.  I think I'm tuning out at this point, and using what little I gave to something else.  This was a great ride/thread to read.    

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I'm going to call my Michigan buddy and ask how he deals with all this and any tips he has on staying interested at all in football. 

We need to form a support group with Michigan and USC. We could invite Nebraska too just to give the rest of us someone to look down upon and mock for their academics.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They also tend to be learning on the job from a pretty good coach.  Until we get “the coach” in place that can teach the OC/DC how to run a program correctly we will never have this situation.  Oh, and Herman ain’t the coach to be teaching his staff how to run a program.

But can teach them how to do high balls.

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We need to form a support group with Michigan and USC. We could invite Nebraska too just to give the rest of us someone to look down upon and mock for their academics.

USC is going to win the PAC 12.. not that that means anything. 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Come on, man. We're Texas. Who wouldn't want to come here and rebuild with our patient fanbase supporting you all the way?

You think this fan base is any different than Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, etc...That’s just an excuse on why we aren’t a top notch program at this point in time.  Hire the right coach and magically we will be good again.  I don’t know who that coach is but they are out there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Well, if it has to come to TT staying, let him know he has a year to audition for his next job 'cause he won't have this one after that.

Spend the next year danglin' wads of cash and let every head coach in the country know we are looking for a guy to come turn around a blue blood and make their mark on college football history and "Oh yeah, make it worth your while".

If TT dicks it up out of spite, fire him for cause.

There's not going to be any amicable making up. We hate him and his ego has been damaged. It's up to him to decide where he goes after this, but even if he's back for 2021, he should be gone after that.

And if he goes undefeated and wins a natty?

Yeah...right.

so wash, rinse, repeat....It worked so well this time. What could go wrong.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic