Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

That Uber for Teens commercial where a dad is leisurely fucking around at home doing nothing and has his 12 YO kid Uber to and from the orthodonist alone to have his braces removed.  WTF. Who does that? What dentist is going to work on a kid without a guardian present?  I need realism in my shitty 30 second commercials.

• Like 1

i really fucking hate outlook's interface.  looks and works exactly the same as thunderbird from 25+ years ago.  came from using gmail professionally to this garbage.  where the fuck are my replies?  "you replied on november 14 at 12:31 pm" well show me the fucking reply instead of hiding it you fucking dick.  one of these things is damn near free from google and the other is microsoft's premier product, but you wouldn't know it from using them. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i really fucking hate outlook's interface.  looks and works exactly the same as thunderbird from 25+ years ago.  came from using gmail professionally to this garbage.  where the fuck are my replies?  "you replied on november 14 at 12:31 pm" well show me the fucking reply instead of hiding it you fucking dick.  one of these things is damn near free from google and the other is microsoft's premier product, but you wouldn't know it from using them. 

Get rid of the focused view BS.  You think Outlook is bad, you should try the Terminal...

I often do work in residential neighborhoods, and will pick a random curb space in front of a house when I park.

Recently a lady ran out, as I'm parking in front of hers, to say "I don't mind if you park here but leave enough room for our car."

Oh, you don't mind if I park on public property? How ignorantly charitable of you.

I may rent a mobile home and set it up there over the holidays, Cousin Eddie style.

26 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

I often do work in residential neighborhoods, and will pick a random curb space in front of a house when I park.

Recently a lady ran out, as I'm parking in front of hers, to say "I don't mind if you park here but leave enough room for our car."

Oh, you don't mind if I park on public property? How ignorantly charitable of you.

I may rent a mobile home and set it up there over the holidays, Cousin Eddie style.

What are your thoughts about contractors and their trailers being near a driveway?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

What are your thoughts about contractors and their trailers being near a driveway?

Public property. They're welcome to it. For the record I don't have a trailer. Just normal suv size.

As further proof of her misplaced statement, they don't even own. I saw the for lease sign before they moved in.

When I haven't parked there, her car is directly in the middle of the curb area ensuring none else can park there.

Tldr; Karens gonna Karen.

On 11/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I say this seemingly once a year but it should be illegal to put sirens and any mimicking of road noise/horns in music. Fuck off with that bullshit.

See also: door bells on TV.

I’m just speaking for my dog who goes apeshit.

21 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

If you don’t work with me as a homeowner/ be a responsible citizen, you might struggle getting your rig home.

Of course you can park where the fuck you want, but don’t go fucking up the flow of how things work on a given street when it’s preventable.

Because you can =/=you should

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you don’t work with me as a homeowner/ be a responsible citizen, you might struggle getting your rig home.

Of course you can park where the fuck you want, but don’t go fucking up the flow of how things work on a given street when it’s preventable.

Because you can =/=you should

And that's fair. Despite the username, I'm an amenable and more often than not, an over-accommodating guy.

What created the "surly" attitude was her coming out - before I even got out of the car - to tell me she granted me permission to park there.

I wasn't even engaged in parking douche baggery at the time, which I too would have nipped in the bud if the roles were reversed.

Which I have since observed because they regularly park taking up two spots on the street with a single car parked in the middle of the curb area. That's probably what surly'ed me up the most.

22 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Public property. They're welcome to it. For the record I don't have a trailer. Just normal suv size.

As further proof of her misplaced statement, they don't even own. I saw the for lease sign before they moved in.

When I haven't parked there, her car is directly in the middle of the curb area ensuring none else can park there.

Tldr; Karens gonna Karen.

This is a tough one.  I wouldn't run out and stop someone from parking in front of my house like that.  Then again, if I'm home, my car is on the curb already.  I've had it happen once or twice when I come home and someone is in my "spot" on the curb.  As long as it's gone in a few hours, whatever.  If they were there more than say 12 hours, we might have a problem.  Public street or not, we are living in a society.

Needed gas and stopped at Buc-Ees in Wharton. At least 40 pumps and all were full, but maybe 5 people actually pumping gas! The rest were just parked there while the people were inside buying sugary something and assorted bullshit made in China.

It’s like you don’t even NEED a distressed sign that says “Momma Needs Her Wine,” or “As For Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord,” to go with a purse with a rhinestone cross on it. Why do you hate America?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2023 at 9:35 PM, elfenix said:

to microsoft's credit, you can actually see changes in the product from week to week -- some of it actually useful -- which is amazing to witness from a 50-year old, 200k employee, 3 trillion dollar company.

On 11/18/2023 at 5:21 PM, Okie State said:

Why does every retailer think that spamming me with thousands of emails is a good marketing strategy?

i posted this more than once:  regular emails from Macys or Best Buy is rationalizable.  i skim the regular newsletter from the sporting goods retailer because I buy their stuff frequently. 

but weekly spam from real estate agents and car dealerships.... wtf?

like, hey, its Juneteenth, I guess I'll just buy another $80k SUV.  dude, i dont give a shit if theres a Columbus Day Sale at the Dodge Ram Emporium.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

My email address is Dick.Smallz@gmail.com   * 

I was getting email for DickSmallz@gmail.com. This guy took scuba lessons in Australia and took Uber rides in Dubai.

Recently I got emails from Walmart to (I'm presuming another guy) addressed to DickSmallz@gmail.com confirming he bought underwear... According to the emails, the guy's name is Dick Smallzarella.

According to Google, I "own" all the emails regardless of the dots, e.g. Dick.Smallz;   DickSmallz;   Di.ck.Sm.allz

So why is it letting other people register a similar email?

* Not my real email, but you all should email it and see if it bounces.

People are using your email address as a burner.  The dots in gmail are ignored.  Another really fun one: dicksmallz+IsADoucher@gmail.com will ALSO deliver to you.  Anything after the + is ignored.  So you can use your email and add a tag, e.g. DickSmallz+surly@gmail.com to register for sites and filter accordingly.

I've got the same problem with some asshat in Wisconsin that has been using my email address to register for everything.  Dumb ass even registered for Tax Slayer using my email address.  I went and reset his password, changed the 2FA phone device, and locked him out.  I've now got his address and SSN, among other things, after he's been doing this crap for 5 years now.  He's adopted a dog under my email, sent his kid to school and registered him under my email (took everything I had not to reply back to them and tell the school to unenroll him).  And somehow, his phone number is always delisted when I try to call him to tell him to stop.

• Like 1

Really shitty timing on getting sick. Wife left Sunday morning to go spend first half of Thanksgiving break with her family before coming back tomorrow. I was supposed to have a relaxing Sunday with the house all to myself and then 2 quiet days to get a bunch of stuff done at work and around the house before starting a 5-day weekend. 

Started feeling the early stages of something coming on not long after getting back from dropping her at the airport Sunday. Thought maybe I just had a delayed hangover, but could tell it was something more by sunset. Passed out on couch at 8:45 Sunday and woke up probably 8=9 times over the course of the night. Yesterday was the shittiest I've felt in a loooong time. Fever, aches, chills, fatigue. Still had to drag myself out of bed and get some work done. Spent the entire evening just laying on the couch. Maybe got 2 hours of actual sleep last night. Feels like I'm finally getting over the hump today. Praying to god I can actually get some sleep tonight and wake up feeling halfway normal tomorrow.

• Rage+1 1

On 11/2/2023 at 12:05 PM, PvilleStang said:

I'm all for the smaller 3-5 person groupings that sneak around and egg / toilet paper people's stuff, but just a mob of loud entitled shitheads is completely different.  Guess TP is still too expensive to be deployed in a proper manner.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:22 PM, Kilgorehorn said:

Egging is not cool. My first car was egged one year and I didn't see it until the next afternoon. When I washed the egg off the paint came off with it.

CSB/??

Egging might not be cool, but it can be damn fun. 

Kids egging or TPing houses on Halloween night was a right of passage in the small town I grew up in. Usually people started in middle school on up through graduation from high school. My folks house was seven miles out of town so the only year I participated in was my senior yr. I had a friend (dude was straight A's and pretty clean cut) from the Baseball team say...."Hey BGH, I want to hang with you tonight, we egging?" So,... I guess, Game On.

The year before, the senior class kept the 3 cops in town pretty busy, so my year, rumor was out that a lot of undercover cops from the major city just south of us would also be patrolling and picking up anyone doing shenanigans.

In the center of town is the Episcopal Church which had a low rock wall you could sit on and watch traffic that was cruising Main St. Myself, the 3rd baseman, some girls from our class, and some guys that graduated the year before but still in town are hanging out there when a late 70's Dodge Dart pulled up and two tall men get out. They say some small talk pleasantries and then get to the point..."Ya'll don't have any eggs do you?" Every one chimes in all at once..."Oh, No Sir. Not us"  ....they get back into the car and as they are driving off, "C'mon Rob!" We both step out into the street and pepper the back windshield and trunk with 2-3 eggs each.  Brake lights are tapped, but the car keeps going.... The seniors from the previous year ask what the hell are ya'll doing (?!!) and we just replied those dudes were (plain clothes) Cops!! This was to be verified about 15 seconds later when one of city patrol cars quickly pulls up with lights flashing......Everyone of course scatters, with myself and Rob running to the back of the church where the rectory is. There is a driveway leading up to it and the cop car is about 20' behind us when it stops and the officers are about to get out for a foot chase when we pepper the windshield with eggs. We hop some fences and the car proceeds back out to the road and tries looking for us in the neighborhood. We peppered him on at least four different corners before they gave up and went after someone else. 'Twas the  beginning to a pretty fun night. When I run into him at reunions, Rob always brings up one of "his funnest nights" in high school.

Full disclaimer: No way I would do this nowadays if in school, nor condone my kids doing it (risk getting shot or at least tazed), but back in the late 70's/early 80's....It was pretty Fucking FUN.....

(side note, I also had my truck egged plenty of X's while in high school and lost some paint too 🤷‍♂️).

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

CSB/??

Egging might not be cool, but it can be damn fun. 

Kids egging or TPing houses on Halloween night was a right of passage in the small town I grew up in. Usually people started in middle school on up through graduation from high school. My folks house was seven miles out of town so the only year I participated in was my senior yr. I had a friend (dude was straight A's and pretty clean cut) from the Baseball team say...."Hey BGH, I want to hang with you tonight, we egging?" So,... I guess, Game On.

The year before, the senior class kept the 3 cops in town pretty busy, so my year, rumor was out that a lot of undercover cops from the major city just south of us would also be patrolling and picking up anyone doing shenanigans.

In the center of town is the Episcopal Church which had a low rock wall you could sit on and watch traffic that was cruising Main St. Myself, the 3rd baseman, some girls from our class, and some guys that graduated the year before but still in town are hanging out there when a late 70's Dodge Dart pulled up and two tall men get out. They say some small talk pleasantries and then get to the point..."Ya'll don't have any eggs do you?" Every one chimes in all at once..."Oh, No Sir. Not us"  ....they get back into the car and as they are driving off, "C'mon Rob!" We both step out into the street and pepper the back windshield and trunk with 2-3 eggs each.  Brake lights are tapped, but the car keeps going.... The seniors from the previous year ask what the hell are ya'll doing (?!!) and we just replied those dudes were (plain clothes) Cops!! This was to be verified about 15 seconds later when one of city patrol cars quickly pulls up with lights flashing......Everyone of course scatters, with myself and Rob running to the back of the church where the rectory is. There is a driveway leading up to it and the cop car is about 20' behind us when it stops and the officers are about to get out for a foot chase when we pepper the windshield with eggs. We hop some fences and the car proceeds back out to the road and tries looking for us in the neighborhood. We peppered him on at least four different corners before they gave up and went after someone else. 'Twas the  beginning to a pretty fun night. When I run into him at reunions, Rob always brings up one of "his funnest nights" in high school.

Full disclaimer: No way I would do this nowadays if in school, nor condone my kids doing it (risk getting shot or at least tazed), but back in the late 70's/early 80's....It was pretty Fucking FUN.....

(side note, I also had my truck egged plenty of X's while in high school and lost some paint too 🤷‍♂️).

Egging a cop multiple times is a good way to get shot if live in the wrong town or part of town. 

• Like 1

Egging a cop multiple times is a good way to get shot if live in the wrong town or part of town. 

Well, no shit. I guess you didn’t read ALL that I wrote. Different time back then.
3 years earlier, the Cops in town did catch some guys egging. They took them all to the car wash…. Had them line up against the wall and egged all of them with their own eggs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Apologies if this exceeds triviality or should go in the stupid shit wives do thread.

Fucking boxed stuffing. My wife bought some without shame as if it wasn’t an abomination. Needless to say, I will be making real stuffing.

TLDR:  Your wife left the house and came back with her box stuffed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I offered to brine and smoke the turkey this year at the in laws.  They said it was too much work.  But I repeat “I’ll do all the work.”  Plus gives me time alone.  They insist no brine, no dry rub (too spicy), just broil:bake whatever the fuck.  They love meat, but once again a bland, flavorless bird that chews like a rubber band.  They’ll dump a quart of salt onto it before serving and pretend like we’re all on a carriage ride to flavor country.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

On 11/17/2023 at 3:09 PM, Biff Tannen said:

This is a tough one.  I wouldn't run out and stop someone from parking in front of my house like that.  Then again, if I'm home, my car is on the curb already.  I've had it happen once or twice when I come home and someone is in my "spot" on the curb.  As long as it's gone in a few hours, whatever.  If they were there more than say 12 hours, we might have a problem.  Public street or not, we are living in a society.

There is a grandma who comes over and watches her grandkids a few days a week and parks her really nice f-150 in front of my house on the curb. I really don't care, but every Sunday, I have to go over there and tell her that I'm about to mow my lawn so she might want to move her truck. She's like 70, so I'm not about to be rude to her or anything. But, it has been like 5 years of about 35 Sundays an year. And there is room in front of there house.......

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

There is a grandma who comes over and watches her grandkids a few days a week and parks her really nice f-150 in front of my house on the curb. I really don't care, but every Sunday, I have to go over there and tell her that I'm about to mow my lawn so she might want to move her truck. She's like 70, so I'm not about to be rude to her or anything. But, it has been like 5 years of about 35 Sundays an year. And there is room in front of there house.......

You've given her ample notice. If she still lacks the requisite pattern detection skills at this stage of the game and at her age, she's never going to learn, so let 'er rip. 

• Hook 'Em 1