Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

6 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Deputy US attorney for SDNY is appointed, basically 2nd in command to Berman.  It basically prevents Trump from putting in the hand-picked acting for the acting for the acting.  So, if that was Berman's tactic to preserve these investigations, it may have worked.

Can Trump then fire her? And put an acting stooge in sooner? 

Just now, burntorangebongos said:

Can Trump then fire her? And put an acting stooge in sooner? 

Yeah, he can fire any US attorney at any time.  Trump wants to put the current Head of the SEC in that job, but the Senate process isn't exactly quick or straightforward.  Schumer and Gillibrand have a role in nominating this selection as well, and Graham is following standard Senate practice for this.  I would expect Trump would start to put pressure on Graham to abandon that process, but I don't think Graham or McConnell would deem that wise.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The purpose of that statute is to limit poltiical, "acting" appointees, thus dodging the requirement for Senate confirmation.  I think the pretty clear upshot of it is that he needs to be replaced by a Senate-confirmed appointment.

And the chairman of the Senate judiciary committee Lindsay Graham has already said he will not confirm any replacement that isn't backed by the states senators, per senate norms. And both senators are democrats

9 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Does it matter?  Are we gonna pretend that Mitch won't auto confirm whoever Trump picks?

Hope all these fired and resigned people are taking copies of everything with them. Trump is hoping to replace them with an industrial shredder. 

Has to come from the Senate Judiciary Committee and Lady G has already said that he will follow the tradition and only put forth a name that the 2 NY Senators approve of.

14 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Does it matter?  Are we gonna pretend that Mitch won't auto confirm whoever Trump picks?

Hope all these fired and resigned people are taking copies of everything with them. Trump is hoping to replace them with an industrial shredder. 

I read that this will be up to Schumer due it being a NY replacement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

trump is going to remind lady g the scoop he has on him

Maybe six months ago.  But the Dotard has been weakened, and with the Senate in play for November, I don't think Graham or McConnell want to handover the nuclear codes just to keep Trump's cronies from getting blasted in the ass with a giant rubber fist.

18 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

So this second letter is coming from Bill Barr, not Trump. He is just saying Trump fired him. If I were Berman, I'd hold out since it isn't Trump doing it. 

has trump ever actually fired anybody himself?  besides, you know, on his reality tv show?

Edited by henrygandorf

Ya know, it’s really hard to take solace in anything that’s happened to this country under this horrible administration.

But I have to be thankful that these morons are so dumb that 9 times out of 10 they fuck up their own criming because they cannot even get their stories straight in real time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

We still have a long way to go. But when this is all over, we really can breathe a sigh of relief that these guys were just so incompetent. That reason alone has prevented some damage. A lot of damage has been done, but it could be worse. 

This is very true.

It's also kind of amusing that it seems to be falling apart right along Trump's "fault lines."

Pretty good thread of analysis by Abramson on Twitter

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1274194312696401920.html

TLDR: Here's the very simplest way to understand it: Berman's SDNY is investigating a man who says Barr is a co-conspirator with Trump and Giuliani in laundering foreign money for the 2020 election. SDNY has the power to cut a deal with this man. Now Barr is trying to fire Berman.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Maybe six months ago.  But the Dotard has been weakened, and with the Senate in play for November, I don't think Graham or McConnell want to handover the nuclear codes just to keep Trump's cronies from getting blasted in the ass with a giant rubber fist.

Yeah it sure seems like Graham has been testing the waters lately, especially with his 'confirmed bachelor' status.  Graham might believe he can keep his seat even if Trump calls him a gay.

But I've always wondered why these Republicans, McConnell, Graham, and many others have kowtowed so much.  They've handily won their seats for some time now, they are all seasoned politicians, I don't get why they feel like they can't politic their way out of being so deferential.  Romney I think has finally figured that out.

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Unless they keep Trump in a bubble, he’s getting Covid at this thing.

Since coronavirus is only for pussies, he should shake hands with everybody there.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

God I hope not.  The virus isn't the same right now and 80 yo's in much worse shape than him (that's possible) are having few issues in the summer...if he gets it and barely gets sick it's going to be nauseating hearing him go on and on about how it's nothing.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In general, I wouldn't want anyone to contract Covid under any circumstance.  However, I find myself pondering the Sophie's choice of IF Trump gets it, how many otherwise fine upstanding good American bigots would I be willing to get infected as well?

Oh wait.  That's not a Sophie's choice at all.  #schadenfreude