Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

CPAC?  Meet Biogen meeting.

One of my college buddies lives in Lexington and his next door neighbor is self-quarantining. One of his daughters sits next to a girl in school who supposedly actually is a confirmed case. He feels like he's in the crosshairs. 

I have another college friend in Queens whose 6 year old son is a suspected case. (Rapid onset fever and cough)

Starting to get personal. 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol I disagree, it's the same sort of shit as the flat earther thread. We aren't being political, we're making fun of people suffering consequences from dumb fucking decisions that flew in the face of facts and reality. Just because it involves politicians doesn't mean we can't make fun of them for being dumbasses.

honestly i don't give a flying fuck if you disagree or not...it has no place  in this thread.

take it to the CR, specifically the specific thread:

you already post over in the Cloak Room - keep this shit over there and not here. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, crimsonlonghorn said:

Cheering for politicians who have completely bungled the US response and denied it's seriousness to get sick isn't "dumb fucking decisions". It's CR bullshit.  completely normal perfect surly behavior

maybe have some self awareness

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol I disagree, it's the same sort of shit as the flat earther thread. We aren't being political, we're making fun of people suffering consequences from dumb fucking decisions that flew in the face of facts and reality. Just because it involves politicians doesn't mean we can't make fun of them for being dumbasses.

4 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Cheering for politicians to get sick isn't "dumb fucking decisions". It's CR bullshit. 

On the contrary, senior government officials coming down with this is a major issues, just as it was in Iran.  The irony is where it's hitting the party that is claiming the virus is a media conspiracy.

• Like 5

Just now, crimsonlonghorn said:

Cheering for politicians to get sick isn't "dumb fucking decisions". It's CR bullshit. 

They decided to hold their conference anyway during the run up to a global pandemic and shook a bunch of hands with a bunch of folks and talked on and on about how it's all bullshit and we have nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to now and they're all starting to quarantine themselves because they exposed themselves to the virus by engaging in a litany of high-risk behaviors for spreading.

It's not like CV was unknown and this is coming out of left field. This is equivalent to a flat earther launching himself on a steam rocket to prove us all wrong.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It does not seem necessary or even appropriate for the Secretary of Health to be commenting on the markets. That's not your scope, nor is it your job.

You'd think he might have other things to do...

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

It does not seem necessary or even appropriate for the Secretary of Health to be commenting on the markets. That's not your scope, nor is it your job.

Bizarre.  But let's be honest, most govt communication to date has fit into that category.   And it's just making the panic worse.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:07 PM, TXSooner518 said:

I went to undergrad with Liz.  She was a ChemE and Biomolecular Engineering undergrad from Hopkins and now has a PhD from UCSD.  Super smart.  It was her out-of-the-blue borderline alarmist facebook post in January that made me aware of the true risk this virus posed.  I'm glad she's getting more media exposure and hope that the powers that be understand the nature of  the beast they are facing.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
fixed her credentials
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They decided to hold their conference anyway during the run up to a global pandemic and shook a bunch of hands with a bunch of folks and talked on and on about how it's all bullshit and we have nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to now and they're all starting to quarantine themselves because they exposed themselves to the virus by engaging in a litany of high-risk behaviors for spreading.

It's not like CV was unknown and this is coming out of left field. This is equivalent to a flat earther launching himself on a steam rocket to prove us all wrong.

Exactly.  If you can take their profession/identities out of the conclusion and come to the same conclusion, it's not Cloak Room.

15 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I went to undergrad with Liz.  She was a ChemE and Biomolecular Engineering undergrad from Hopkins and now has a PhD from UCSD.  Super smart.  It was her out-of-the-blue borderline alarmist facebook post in January that made me aware of the true risk this virus posed.  I'm glad she's getting more media exposure and hope that the powers that be understand the nature of  the beast they are facing.

This -- THIS is the risk.  Overwhelming our healthcare system.  Even if the numbers are off significantly in either direction (obviously one of those directions is way worse), we're in for some shit.  Serious shit.  Take the death rate out of it, and just look at the hospitalization rate -- we're going to have a lot of really sick people, needing serious care, overwhelming our system.  Even if every one of them survived (a win that just won't happen, but hey, be hopeful), we've still got a system that will collapse under the weight of the patient load.

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

And shit like this is how it happens. All you need is a few super-spreaders, and it's going like gangbusters.  

Large events, including church services, need to be put on hold.  Schools need to be preparing themselves for remote lesson plans/schedules.  Employers need to be doing the same.  NOW.  Actually, starting a few weeks ago, but NOW at the very latest.

This is not a hoax.  It is not going away.  It is going to get worse.  Don't fucking hoard water and shit, just confine yourself to the things that make sense: frequent handwashing/sanitizing, avoid touching your face unless you've cleaned your hands, avoid large public gathering places (and yeah, that means the grocery store at peak times), and have meds and supplies on hand to self-treat if you come down with it (maybe you can keep it from becoming a severe case).  And be ready for the shutdowns of workplaces, schools, etc.

22 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Yeah, but have you seen her naked? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was just at the grocery store.  I'm doing hibachi on the griddle tonight.  There was a lady picking up every freaking package of beef and reading it.

I walked straight to the butcher counter to purchase my steaks.  People are fucking clueless.

26 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Just asking out loud.  Can you copy/paste her FB post (or provide a link to it if it's public) from January here?  Not wanting any private info; just want to see what her message was then.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is a week old but I missed it.  Bedford thinks that there's been COVID in Seattle for 6 weeks:

It’s been discussed several times. I’m no fucking genius and I’ve been saying this for weeks. It’s been all over this country for quite some time, just no testing to confirm it until recently.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just asking out loud.  Can you copy/paste her FB post (or provide a link to it if it's public) from January here?  Not wanting any private info; just want to see what her message was then.  Thank you.

70932732_10101933869746375_7479289507049

Trying really hard not to be alarmist here but I'm seeing so little discussion of this on U.S. news and my social feeds that I really feel we're all asleep at the wheel. If you're not checking in on near-hourly updates on the coronavirus, you really should be. In the last few hours, health authorities in China confirmed that asymptomatic carriers and patients in the incubation phase are able to infect others, *unlike* SARS or most other respiratory viruses that require active droplet generation (sneezing, coughing, etc). That means temperature and symptom screening at transit hubs (which has really only been happening for about 5 days anyways, while the incubation phase can be up to 14 days) is NOT effective, and that any of the millions of people who left ground zero in the last few weeks could be going about their daily lives unaware that there's any reason for alarm.

Reliable numbers aren't yet available regarding infectivity or mortality rates (numbers coming from official Chinese channels are clearly not yet reflecting reality on the ground, plus there are inherent delays for confirmation testing and for the infection to run its course to know the ultimate outcome for a given patient), but this tidbit alone should shake us all out of our complacency that this will be no worse than SARS (2003):

In 2006, there were 10 non-stop flight routes between the U.S. and China. As of 2018, there are **61** non-stop routes (NOT including Hong Kong and Macau, which are major connecting hubs from mainland China to U.S.), which translates to >>6-fold more passengers. Many of those flights come to California. We got our first confirmed case here late last night.

Stay alert and stay safe, y'all. This is emphatically *not* SARS or MERS or anything resembling the outbreaks that we think we know how to handle, and the world is very different today than it was the last time we were presented with anything close to this.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah, but have you seen her naked? 

Negative.  Pretty sure she banged my roommate, who was a co-captain on the tennis team (she played for the women's team).  That whole group was pretty incestuous.  Definitely caught her making a walk of shame out one morning, but I never pressed for details.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s been discussed several times. I’m no fucking genius and I’ve been saying this for weeks. It’s been all over this country for quite some time, just no testing to confirm it until recently.

NPR had some reporting this morning on the lack of testing.  Apparently, our CDC rejected the approved WHO COVID19 test method and instead created their own test panel that would test for COVID19  as well as SARS and MERS.  Apparently this test was too complicated and part of the reaction could easily corrupt the findings.  After weeks of development, they had to trash that test in favor of the simpler WHO test procedure.  This explains the stunning shortage of test available as it broke containment in the US.  Talk about hubris and a complete failure of bureaucracy...

• Like 2

Kind of an interesting story. A friend of mine who does some work for my office told me that about 3 weeks ago, his 31 year old brother was admitted to the hospital for an upper respiratory infection and 103 degree temperature. He lives in San Diego and had been to Vegas for a conference that had a lot of Asians a little over a week before he became ill. The hospital did not test for the coronavirus and released him after 3 days or so. It would have been nice to know what he had and if he was still contagious after leaving the hospital.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

Damn. I could have really used some exemptions and Q drops after my spring break in 2010. Turning 21 the day before spring break starts and having two exams was not a good combo. 

I got chicken pox (probably at Mardis Gras) and was kicked off campus for 2 weeks my freshman year.   Missed mid terms, it was a real bitch, some professors were cool, a few were NOT.

Make-up exam in biology went from multiple choice exam (that I missed) to 60 Short essay responses.   Fuck that guy!

Just now, hopkinsnhorns said:

jack nicholson yes GIF

I'm here for it.  I hope Congess and the administration is wiped out entirely.

That's pretty fucking sick of you to say.  I can't stand a lot of people in our administration, in Congress, etc., but I sure as shit ain't hoping they all get wiped out.  Get fucked, asshole.  

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

If it’s already all over the country, then why haven’t olds been dropping dead all over?  And if they have, what illnesses have we been appropriating those deaths to, that apparently we don’t care about the spike in deaths?

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away