CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

here is NZ trying to do it right? or is that wrong? 
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/17/asia/new-zealand-lockdown-one-case-intl-hnk/index.html
we fucking science fair experiments down here. not gettnig vaccinated, not getting any herd immunity, just time capsules. when we ever decide to reenter the world we will die when the wind blows the wrong way
Or the rest of the world dies off over the next 3 years then you guys get all our shit.

35 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Okay, on the whole Abbott "kill kids".  Abbott and the Republicans are guilty of absolutely moronic ideas regarding liberty, the Constitution, and masking.  But ultimately, I think they'd justify their approach along the lines of how parents are allowed to keep guns in the house, or travel with their kids in cars, or take their kids out on the boat, or the myriad of other activities where government does not prohibit parents from accepting risk on behalf of their children.

I think the above is the most fucked up logic in the world, but warped though it be, given Abbott's argument that he's not prohibiting anyone from wearing a mask, I think it does make the "he wants to kill kids" to win reelection a bit much.

Irresponsible, a dereliction of duty, etc.?  Sure.

I’d say actively prohibiting mask and vaccine mandates has already resulted in unnecessary deaths of Texans.  If his state government played a better role for vaccinating a higher percentage of people and encouraged masking, less people would be hospitalized or dead. That’s objectively observable facts

• Hook 'Em 3

The State hasn't done anything to encourage vaccinations over the last few months.  There's been no incentive programs or PSA's.  All the focus has been on preventing schools and businesses from doing things that would slow the spread and prevent unnecessary deaths.  This is about making sure enough Trumpkins vote for Abbott in the primary and nothing else.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

41 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Okay, on the whole Abbott "kill kids".  Abbott and the Republicans are guilty of absolutely moronic ideas regarding liberty, the Constitution, and masking.  But ultimately, I think they'd justify their approach along the lines of how parents are allowed to keep guns in the house, or travel with their kids in cars, or take their kids out on the boat, or the myriad of other activities where government does not prohibit parents from accepting risk on behalf of their children.

I think the above is the most fucked up logic in the world, but warped though it be, given Abbott's argument that he's not prohibiting anyone from wearing a mask, I think it does make the "he wants to kill kids" to win reelection a bit much.

News flash-  The masks are not to protect you, they protect others, and only work if nearly all of us do it.    It's the same reason I wear a mask in the OR... its not to protect me.  That is why "wear a mask if you're scared,  no one is stopping you!" is nonsense.  

• Hook 'Em 7

Except these ghouls are fully vaccinated, have kids in schools with strict mask requirements and contact tracing, world class insurance and plenty of money.

The ethos is solely winning reelection. A narcissist in Washington didn't want to wear mask so that's now an issue. Those in power wanted a strong economy to run on for reelection so "no lock downs no matter what was a thing." These people could have been coerced to do a lot better. If these clowns in charge were really the tough guys they claim to be they could have modeled wearing mask as tough and badass. Wear some modified bandana, "mask up for Texas, Texas masks, Texas tough."

They are weak ass , selfish frauds.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

You need to have a zero tolerance policy. You see a kid with his mask down by his neck warn him and the class once.  If it happens again tell him to GTFO

No mask/chin-strap/nose hanging out = absent = no credit in Classroom Canecutter.

Other people I know teach next to EMT classes where nobody was wearing masks last year. (It's always the fucking I-Know-A-Little-About-Medicine types.) They plan to call HR about unsafe work environment the minute they see it.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 3

6 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The State hasn't done anything to encourage vaccinations over the last few months.  There's been no incentive programs or PSA's.  All the focus has been on preventing schools and businesses from doing things that would slow the spread and prevent unnecessary deaths.  This is about making sure enough Trumpkins vote for Abbott in the primary and nothing else.

It does have the unintended consequence of killing a lot of Trumpkins.  

Bill Murray Dalai Llama GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Baylor College of Medicine didn’t intend for its new-student orientation to become a case study in breakthrough infections.

In retrospect, the photographed smiles and cheery video on Baylor’s Facebook page, look ominous. On Monday, July 26, around 200 people — mainly first-year medical students wearing hot-pink theme-weekend T-shirts — gathered inside a Baylor building and loaded plates from a breakfast buffet. They weren’t socially distanced, and in the photos, the only masks visible are in people’s hands or dangle from their wrists.

But why should the affair have been any different? It was Monday, July 26, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines at the time, it was safe for groups of vaccinated people to gather unmasked.

Baylor requires its students to be vaccinated, and 97 percent of the 189-member Class of 2025 were not merely vaccinated but fully vaccinated — a statistic unlikely to be equaled by many other groups in Texas. They were a young, healthy crowd. If it was safe for any large group to gather indoors unmasked, it should have been safe for this one.

As instructed, the first-years did mask up to ride limousine buses two hours north, to the Retreat at Artesian Lakes in the Piney Woods. But after they arrived, they milled about mask-free, playing getting-to-know you games. They ate meals together inside the dining hall, and spent much of their time sitting close together outdoors in small groups. They bunked in the property’s cabins.

On Tuesday, the limo buses carried them back to Houston.

Notably, that was also the day that the CDC changed its recommendation about vaccinated people and masking. An outbreak in Provincetown, Mass., documented by citizen scientists, had shown that delta was different from the variants that had come before. Delta, it turned out, can be passed from vaccinated person to vaccinated person.

That announcement, of course, came too late for the first-years.

In the following days, some of the students began to feel sick.

By the end of the first week of August, 11 of the first-years — six percent of the class — had tested positive for COVID.

Followed CDC guidelines
In the Provincetown outbreak, three-fourths of the people infected were fully vaccinated. The good news was that their vaccinations clearly protected them — they were far less likely than unvaccinated people infected with delta to become so sick they needed to be hospitalized, or to die.

The bad news was that the vaccinated didn’t escape scot-free and asymptomatic: 79 percent of the people with those Provincetown breakthrough infections experienced symptoms — coughs, fevers, fatigue, muscle aches, loss of taste and smell.

Something similar appears to have been the case at Baylor. Soon after the orientation, students began reporting the familiar flu-like symptoms to the medical school’s administration. One first-year student said they knew of “several” people who were sick, not just asymptomatic. (Anxious not to jeopardize a budding medical career, the student asked to remain anonymous.)

SALE! 26 WEEKS FOR 99¢
Most Popular
Texas Supreme Court blocks local mask mandates
Inside a Galveston ICU, young patients desperately cling to life
HISD warns of discipline for students, staff who don't wear masks
COVID live updates: Texas requests 5 mortuary trailers
Astros' Kyle Tucker out indefinitely for health and safety protocols
Baylor College of Medicine orientation turns into COVID cluster
NIH director Collins addresses COVID threat in Texas schools
Why Deshaun Watson wasn't at Texans practice
Beloved Austin High School JROTC instructor dies at 63
Interactive maps, charts show spread of COVID-19 across Houston

LOCAL
//
HEALTH
Baylor College of Medicine student orientation turns into COVID cluster
Photo of Lisa Gray
Lisa Gray
Staff writer
Updated: Aug. 14, 2021 8:06 a.m.
Comments
Baylor College of Medicine students pose after receiving their white coats in a ceremony at the Bayou City Event Center on Friday, Aug. 13, 2021.
of
Baylor College of Medicine students pose after receiving their white coats in a ceremony at the Bayou City Event Center on Friday, Aug. 13, 2021.

Annie Mulligan, Houston Chronicle / Contributor

Baylor College of Medicine didn’t intend for its new-student orientation to become a case study in breakthrough infections.

In retrospect, the photographed smiles and cheery video on Baylor’s Facebook page, look ominous. On Monday, July 26, around 200 people — mainly first-year medical students wearing hot-pink theme-weekend T-shirts — gathered inside a Baylor building and loaded plates from a breakfast buffet. They weren’t socially distanced, and in the photos, the only masks visible are in people’s hands or dangle from their wrists.

But why should the affair have been any different? It was Monday, July 26, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines at the time, it was safe for groups of vaccinated people to gather unmasked.

SALE! 26 WEEKS FOR 99¢
ACT NOW

COVID Help Desk: I'm fully vaccinated and just tested positive. What should I do?

Baylor requires its students to be vaccinated, and 97 percent of the 189-member Class of 2025 were not merely vaccinated but fully vaccinated — a statistic unlikely to be equaled by many other groups in Texas. They were a young, healthy crowd. If it was safe for any large group to gather indoors unmasked, it should have been safe for this one.

As instructed, the first-years did mask up to ride limousine buses two hours north, to the Retreat at Artesian Lakes in the Piney Woods. But after they arrived, they milled about mask-free, playing getting-to-know you games. They ate meals together inside the dining hall, and spent much of their time sitting close together outdoors in small groups. They bunked in the property’s cabins.

On Tuesday, the limo buses carried them back to Houston.

Notably, that was also the day that the CDC changed its recommendation about vaccinated people and masking. An outbreak in Provincetown, Mass., documented by citizen scientists, had shown that delta was different from the variants that had come before. Delta, it turned out, can be passed from vaccinated person to vaccinated person.

That announcement, of course, came too late for the first-years.

In the following days, some of the students began to feel sick.

By the end of the first week of August, 11 of the first-years — six percent of the class — had tested positive for COVID.

Followed CDC guidelines
In the Provincetown outbreak, three-fourths of the people infected were fully vaccinated. The good news was that their vaccinations clearly protected them — they were far less likely than unvaccinated people infected with delta to become so sick they needed to be hospitalized, or to die.

The bad news was that the vaccinated didn’t escape scot-free and asymptomatic: 79 percent of the people with those Provincetown breakthrough infections experienced symptoms — coughs, fevers, fatigue, muscle aches, loss of taste and smell.

Something similar appears to have been the case at Baylor. Soon after the orientation, students began reporting the familiar flu-like symptoms to the medical school’s administration. One first-year student said they knew of “several” people who were sick, not just asymptomatic. (Anxious not to jeopardize a budding medical career, the student asked to remain anonymous.)

That student is alarmed that the school didn’t send a mass email immediately, after the first indication that students at the orientation had been exposed: “There was radio silence for a couple of days.”

On Saturday, July 31, two members of Baylor’s student-affairs staff emailed the first-years and upper classmen who had attended the retreat: “There has been a potential COVID exposure,” they warned.

As sick and exposed students quarantined, Baylor canceled the first week of in-person classes. Family and friends were disinvited to the Aug. 13 white-coat ceremony, in which first-years take an oath and receive their doctor’s garb. Many students were angry, said the first-year: They wanted their loved ones to be present.

“Baylor followed the CDC guidelines,” said Jennifer Christner, dean of Baylor College of Medicine. The cluster of cases — she doesn’t call it an outbreak — was contained.

Maybe a best-case scenario
Maybe, as one of the country’s top medical schools, Baylor could have been better prepared for a COVID cluster. Maybe, even before the CDC’s announcement, Baylor could have somehow have sussed out that the delta variant plays by different rules, and that even vaccinated people need to wear masks while hanging out with other vaccinated people indoors. Maybe it could have alerted students faster.

But given what Texas educational institutions are up against, the cluster at Baylor College of Medicine may be a best-case scenario. Consider that while the delta variant is filling Texas ERs and ICUS, Texas colleges and K-12 schools begin in-person classes this month. Remember that a patchwork of mask rules applies, with some schools not requiring them. That students under age 12 are ineligible to be vaccinated, and that less than a third of adolescents are vaccinated, and far less than half of college-aged people.

If six percent of students were infected in two days, in a group that’s 97 percent fully vaccinated and who follow medical advice, imagine what could happen somewhere else.

None of the Baylor students were hospitalized. None died. None, so far as is known, infected a fragile family member or an unvaccinated friend. The school took measures, and the chain of infections stopped.

In the grim era of the delta variant, that counts as a happy ending.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just skimmed it but 100%!exposed and 6% infected? That’s how it’s supposed to work. What did I miss?

• Hook 'Em 8

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Can you fill out an absentee ballot while on a vent?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Assuming it was Delta, that's actually better than the vaccine has performed in the recent studies about it's effectiveness against Delta.  Even more impressive when it was a prolonged exposure like that.  I'm sure the age of the group played in to that.

Edited by kevwun

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Just skimmed it but 100%!exposed and 6% infected? That’s how it’s supposed to work. What did I miss?

I don't think you missed anything.  Some more information would be nice:

* how many of those infected were NOT vaccinated?  I'd bet it's close to half (all 3% of the unvaccinated med students caught covid)

* how many of those infected were only very recently fully vaccinated? (hadn't developed full vaccine response)

* how many of those that "weren't infected" actually caught the virus but were asymptomatic?

Baylor Med should have every person at that event tested.  It would be a nice study . . . you know, for science.  But, Baylor.

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Baylor Med should have every person at that event tested.  It would be a nice study . . . you know, for science.  But, Baylor.

Baylor Med not associated with Rapelor anymore. They broke off a long time ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Can someone please explain this particular brand of brain worms to me? I doubt he was afraid of "being a guinea pig" if he readily offered up his wife and daughters for vaccination. Is it really as simple as "my wife and daughters are fragile and high risk, but I no need because I big strong man"?

My friend, an Aggie asking that question is kind of funny. Just check out Texags for your best option for finding an answer to your question. I'm certainly not saying the posts there are typical of you, but they are typical for a sizable portion of Aggies. Look at the up votes for any post condemning vaccines or Joe Biden for suggesting vaccination.

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My friend, an Aggie asking that question is kind of funny. Just check out Texags for your best option for finding an answer to your question. I'm certainly not saying the posts there are typical of you, but they are typical for a sizable portion of Aggies. Look at the up votes for any post condemning vaccines or Joe Biden for suggesting vaccination.

No, I get that. But those are the kind of morons who would disown their libtard kids if they even mentioned wanting to get vaxxed. The guy in the tweet isn't anti-vax. He's more in the "it's just a flu, only the women and the weak need help fighting it" camp. Which makes even less sense than the anti-vax camp to me.

17 hours ago, lmao said:

Chet Hanks weighs-in:

His brother is a solid actor.

He, whom I've never heard of, solidly acts out what the issue seems to be for some men: manliness. Like the dickwad harrassing the old woman in the subway, it's all about the strutting and puffing out your chest. 

These things are so insecure in their own manhood that they must make displays like cosplay soldiering, dismissing intellectual argument, and recording themselves ranting and cursing as though anyone gives a shit.

Vanity. A 100,000,000 idiots can't be wrong!! FUCK YOU!!  MOTHERFUCKER!!

You know the world I'm talkin' 'bout.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Can someone please explain this particular brand of brain worms to me? I doubt he was afraid of "being a guinea pig" if he readily offered up his wife and daughters for vaccination. Is it really as simple as "my wife and daughters are fragile and high risk, but I no need because I big strong man"?

It's the Ted Cruz Approach to Vaccines.   Chaperone your family to the appointment but don't stick around for your jab.

I knew a guy in the 90’s who could fake any document using the technology of the day.  Drivers licenses were obviously his go to item, but he could do grade reports and diplomas as well.  The vaccine cards would have been child’s play for him 25 years ago.

Was this him?
8cf6841beaac63c822b2265fce1fb354.jpg
  • Haha 1

The CBS Evening News will have a report on the market for fake vaccination cards tonight. I don’t know how exhaustive their investigation will be. I wouldn’t expect it to be more than superficial. But I figured I should pass that along in case anyone is interested. 

• Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think you missed anything.  Some more information would be nice:

* how many of those infected were NOT vaccinated?  I'd bet it's close to half (all 3% of the unvaccinated med students caught covid)

* how many of those infected were only very recently fully vaccinated? (hadn't developed full vaccine response)

* how many of those that "weren't infected" actually caught the virus but were asymptomatic?

Baylor College of Medicine has no affiliation with Baylor University. 

and I don’t know if a meet n greet for freshman about to enter the most stressful (to date) year of their lives is the appropriate time to do a study 

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

We already went over that.

and I don’t know if a meet n greet for freshman about to enter the most stressful (to date) year of their lives is the appropriate time to do a study 

I'm not following.  How hard would be to ask 189 students their vaccine details (if not already on file) and test them all for covid?

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Oh fuck off. He's threatening private businesses that want to require their customers be vaccinated. This isn't about a twisted belief in personal liberty.

Okay, it's not about a twisted view of liberty or politics.  It's just he hates children.

Sounds like a convincing bullet point that will keep his supporters at home and his detractors at the voting booth.

Joe Abston, seen above, took his wife and daughter to get vaccinated but didn't get vaccinated himself.  While dying, he told his wife he sure wishes he'd got that vaccine.   But what I really love is the quote that I selected.  I'm sorry, but I've got absolutely no sympathy.  How can you not see that healthy people get sick or that it is real?

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/08/16/former-pascagoula-city-councilman-dies-covid-19/

"
We went and got it because we were at high risk, and we weren’t going to question it. I have a child with special needs and I have a child with a seizure disorder so we went and got it. And he took us to get it. I don’t know that he ever saw anyone get sick enough or saw that it was real or saw that a healthy person can get sick,”

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We already went over that.

I'm not following.  How hard would be to ask 189 students their vaccine details (if not already on file) and test them all for covid?

From the article it appears vax status for all is known and from personal experience med school requires documentation of all your vaccinations going back to kindergarten in order to enroll.

And I’m not having a qtip stuck in my brain before going on what is supposed to be a fun weekend before starting med school

25 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My memory is a little hazy, but I believe he got busted for buying a roll of the laminating material that was embossed with the state seal from a DPS employee.  So maybe?

I was halfway into my first Graphic Design class when I realized it was Forgery class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The CBS Evening News will have a report on the market for fake vaccination cards tonight. I don’t know how exhaustive their investigation will be. I wouldn’t expect it to be more than superficial. But I figured I should pass that along in case anyone is interested. 

most recent Behind the Bastards also goes into the COVID fake vax card grift and bullshit stuff

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

And I’m not having a qtip stuck in my brain before going on what is supposed to be a fun weekend before starting med school

I assume the weekend you are referring to was the retreat where covid got passed around.  It was Mon 7/26 and Tue 7/27.  Regardless, I wasn't suggesting pre-testing, that wouldn't make much sense.  I was suggesting that they test the entire group once the 11 students tested positive in the following 10 days.  Don't you think there might be value in knowing how many were asymptomatic beyond the 11 known cases?

34 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Joe Abston, seen above, took his wife and daughter to get vaccinated but didn't get vaccinated himself.  While dying, he told his wife he sure wishes he'd got that vaccine.   But what I really love is the quote that I selected.  I'm sorry, but I've got absolutely no sympathy.  How can you not see that healthy people get sick or that it is real?

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/08/16/former-pascagoula-city-councilman-dies-covid-19/

"
We went and got it because we were at high risk, and we weren’t going to question it. I have a child with special needs and I have a child with a seizure disorder so we went and got it. And he took us to get it. I don’t know that he ever saw anyone get sick enough or saw that it was real or saw that a healthy person can get sick,”

He believes in God, though, right?

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Baylor Med not associated with Rapelor anymore. They broke off a long time ago.

42 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I know this has been established, but for purely personal, and selfish reasons I am quoting these two posts for emphasis.  BMC is more affiliated with Rice than any other institution and wish to god they would just go ahead and formalize that relationship.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

News flash-  The masks are not to protect you, they protect others, and only work if nearly all of us do it.    It's the same reason I wear a mask in the OR... its not to protect me.  That is why "wear a mask if you're scared,  no one is stopping you!" is nonsense.  

Is anybody really arguing here that the approach Abbott is taking is not nonsense?

11 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Maybe, maybe not.

If it were true them his family would have already filed a malpractice suit. There's nothing that type likes more than loudly complaining about lawyers and frivolous tort lawsuits by other people while simultaneously filing their own. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I assume the weekend you are referring to was the retreat where covid got passed around.  It was Mon 7/26 and Tue 7/27.  Regardless, I wasn't suggesting pre-testing, that wouldn't make much sense.  I was suggesting that they test the entire group once the 11 students tested positive in the following 10 days.  Don't you think there might be value in knowing how many were asymptomatic beyond the 11 known cases?

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you were trying to get at. I’m assuming they all were tested after the fact since we know only 6% tested positive.  I guess it’s possible they’re only testing symptomatic