CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

18 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

These attacks on science are killing me. For a variety of reasons, but it is embarrassing to watch the con men erode an area in which America has had an illustrious history and reputation. Science that was not always good, certainly moments of shame but responsible for a collective body of knowledge that has improved the lives of many, and this greasing of the wheels for the flim flam artistry to begin is just so sad. My oldest is a chemistry graduate student. She absolutely loves science. We started in the kitchen making concoctions and she took it from there. When she began her studies, she was able to benefit from having female mentors in her field. When I was in school that was much much less common and I was so happy that she was enjoying her work and planning her future.  I'm not sure who was happier when she got to speak with Frances Arnold; I know I was fangirling. But there is a creeping chill in the air and I worry that she and others like her will be vilified for trying to be logical critical thinkers.

Sorry for going off the rail. I would like to take a sledge hammer to Tucker's tiny male parts until they look like flat Stanley. I have no idea where this propensity for violence comes from. Must be the mama bear instinct. Don't mess with the next generation's future, not for my children not for anyone's children.

Also, the "you're not elected" is beyond moronic.

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's really good.  I gotta say, I always respected you as an amusing and witty poster going back to the GGW days.  But I have to confess that the GGW association made me take you somewhat less than seriously.

Your analysis on this poltico-legal stuff is really sharp.

thank you, kind sir.  i probably missed my calling.  there comes a time in every young, jewish boy's life where he must make a decision between hollywood and the law.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, the "you're not elected" is beyond moronic.

Yes, yes it is. That I ignored as it was an elephant dart to his viewers who absorb his every word. The more subtle criticisms and questionings of entire fields of research and knowledge are becoming more and more blatant, however. Fauci has never claimed to be anything other than a health advisor, but Carlson projects his viewers fears writ large and you might as well scroll them in the chryon at the bottom as Tucker speaks.

Now look at that yo-yo that's the way you do it
You play the doctor on the big TV
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Money for nothin' and chicks for free
Now that ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya this guy is dumb
He's wrapped around Gate's little finger
Probably sucking Soros' thumb

We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these color TV's

See the little faggot with the glasses and the lab coat
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own vaccine lab
That little faggot he's a millionaire

We gotta install microwave ovens
We gotta move these color TV's

I shoulda' learned to do the labwork
I shoulda' learned to make them drugs
Look at that Deborah, she got scarves stickin' in the camera
Man we could have some fun
And he's up there, what's that? Testing Q-Tips??
Stickin' in the shnozz like a chimpanzee
Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free

We gotta install ovens
We gotta move these color TV's, Lord

Now we're workin' cause we're essential
And Tucker says look at the doctor on the big TV
He wasn't elected, he don't speak for me.
He wasn't elected, he don't speak for me.

Fauci stands for every smart man that makes insecure people feel stupid. Blaming and hating him just like every other demographic they hate makes them feel smart and powerful.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Can't spell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gap03 said:

"Some people are saying that Hep-C is a natural enemy to coronavirus.  I'm not a doctor, but I think it would be like those mongeese that they brought to Hawaii to kill the rats - everyone knows how well that worked, right, Fauci?  What do you have to lose?  Try it - get a sweet tattoo of me on your back like Roger has and some of those Hepatitis C viruses, and you'll be all set."

Kill it with aids

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the other side of the argument is - ok, so we stay open to save the economy.  and several hundred thousand+ people die.  what does that do to the economy (not to mention the hospital/healthcare infrastructure)?

Let's see... Money saved on social security (presuming a large proportion of the dead are olds), money for the medical insurance industry, money for the lucrative undertaker/cemetery/casket makers (a large amount of which are made in Pence's home state). 

Seems to be a wash to me. 

35 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Let's see... Money saved on social security (presuming a large proportion of the dead are olds), money for the medical insurance industry, money for the lucrative undertaker/cemetery/casket makers (a large amount of which are made in Pence's home state). 

Seems to be a wash to me. 

Maybe Trump is trying to resurrect the coal industry by using coal to cremate all the dead bodies from Covid-19.  3D chess kind of move, no?  

• Like 1

the other side of the argument is - ok, so we stay open to save the economy.  and several hundred thousand+ people die.  what does that do to the economy (not to mention the hospital/healthcare infrastructure)?
the administration treated it like a binary choice one way, and now they're treating it like a binary choice the other way.  it's an essay question that they continue to treat like true/false.
That's because they're functionally illiterate.

Cities that imposed more strict restrictions during the Spanish flu generally experienced better economic recovery. Among states, who's going to lead the recovery - CA and the northeast or secsecsec? We know the answer to that already.

The worst possible outcome for both the economy and public heath is wasting the opportunity created by the first shutdown and having to do it all over again. That's really not a hard concept.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the administration treated it like a binary choice one way, and now they're treating it like a binary choice the other way.  it's an essay question that they continue to treat like true/false.

I would agree it’s not binary. It should be done in stages. But how is it not binary to insist on 0 deaths for a two week period in any county before opening anything like Newsom has said? That’s enforcing zero activity. 

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

That's because they're functionally illiterate.

Cities that imposed more strict restrictions during the Spanish flu generally experienced better economic recovery. Among states, who's going to lead the recovery - CA and the northeast or secsecsec? We know the answer to that already.

The worst possible outcome for both the economy and public heath is wasting the opportunity created by the first shutdown and having to do it all over again. That's really not a hard concept.

What year was that again? 

Also, do you think the economic impact of the Spanish Flu virus itself could’ve been exaggerated by its outsized effect on 20-40 year olds?

I expected some case increase from any opening. This is good news. I wonder if it’ll get any coverage outside of right wing outlets.

I wonder how long polling supports these measures. Not sure how these policies follow “science and data”.

Test nursing homes heavily. Test any visitors before entry and employees regularly.

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I expected some case increase from any opening. This is good news. I wonder if it’ll get any coverage outside of right wing outlets.

I wonder how long polling supports these measures. Not sure how these policies follow “science and data”.

Test nursing homes heavily. Test any visitors before entry and employees regularly.

This is from a week ago

https://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-covid-deaths-surge-and-rural-county-coroner-reels/AxjqQUhZpbjIeMr2s4plPO/

And I don't see the drops they are talking about in the GA data (hospitalization rate isnt there, but tests and deaths are).

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-georgia-covid-dashboard/IjORDGLckdP3RI9hJU5CWO/

EDIT:

And I should probably add, just because Kemp opened the state, doesnt mean people are following that guidance.  If the bulk of the state is still SIP, or at least still sticking to essential trips only, then its not really a good measuring stick that a wide open state is safe.  A smart guy will probably create charts showing the uptick in retail/hospitality and covid rates (a couple of weeks from now anyway, because testing still sucks) that will give us a better idea of how opening correlates to spread.  

Edited by TXSG8R

22 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Well, if you don't report the cases or deaths you're not going to see an increase. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Also, do you think the economic impact of the Spanish Flu virus itself could’ve been exaggerated by its outsized effect on 20-40 year olds?

I'd argue that the ongoing first world world war and still raging western front was why the spanish flu had an outsized effect on 20-40 year olds, rather than any intrinsic feature of the virus. Literally millions of people in that age bracket on troop transport ships crossing the Atlantic, in trenches living in filth, and generally living a pretty shitty standard of life, that drastically increases the duration and severity of exposure to the virus.

19 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Digging a little deeper, some of the counties in Florida and Georgia have CFRs of >10%. Currently the state of Florida has a cumulative hospitalization number of greater than 7,000 and total deaths greater than 1,700. I would be interested in how many of the cumulative hospital patients are still in hospital and how many recovered. Are the cases mostly clustered in elder care facilities? Florida has tested half a million people and the state as a whole has a CFR of slightly greater than 4%. (all data from JHU). How has the discrepancy between county coroners at the state health department there been resolved?

Georgia, meanwhile, has only tested a little over 200,000 people. I'm skeptical. (testing data from The COVID-19 Tracking Project).

I agree that testing needs to be best practices most specifically where vulnerable populations are likely to be.

“My view is the president is totally correct that we need to have medical transparency,” said Art Laffer, a longtime conservative economist who has counseled Trump and other key administration officials on coronavirus response and how to “open” the economy amid the pandemic. “When you attribute a death to the coronavirus today, what that means is that the guy had the coronavirus and died. It doesn’t matter if he got hit by a car and died, and he would still be categorized as a coronavirus death... You need the whole transcribed medical records on a disk so people can sit there, maybe without names, and look for causes and correlations.”

Anderson said Laffer’s assessment was incorrect and that the form used by physicians to report coronavirus deaths specifically asks them to answer: “Did the patient die as a result of this illness?”

“It doesn’t say ‘Did this patient die?’” Anderson said.

Long article, but the aggressive politicization against the agencies must stop. I understand that this is intentional, but the disrepair is staggering. Prayers to those American public servants who are pushing back.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Damn I was sure you were gonna ask how many times I plan on changing my mask today 

Fuck it. You don't give a shit about yourself and/or your patients why should I?

In case you don't think Fla and Ga are under-reporting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/12/fauci-puts-it-bluntly-coronavirus-deaths-are-undercounted/

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Ah, yes, the notoriously honest and not at all completely full of shit Erick Erickson and Matt Walsh.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Captainant said:

spanish flu

Gotta hand it to the politicians of 100 years ago, the branding of “Spanish flu” really stuck even though the genesis of the virus isn’t connected to Spain or Spanish communities in any way. 

Other big political win from that time:  The branding of cannabis as “marijuana” to give it that “Mexican foreign invader” feel. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Gotta hand to the politicians of 100 years ago, the branding of “Spanish flu” really stuck even though the genesis of the virus isn’t connected to Spain or Spanish communities in any way. 

Other big political win from that time:  The branding of cannabis as “marijuana” to give it that “Mexican foreign invader” feel. 

That's misrepresenting why it was named "Spanish Flu". It was first diagnosed in Kansas in a US military base, but due to the secrecy in place to protect the war effort and morale, US newspapers and those of the other belligerents in the conflict did not report on it as it spread through the front and into the civilian population. Spain, being neutral in the conflict did not have the restrictions and control on the press that the belligerents did, so their cases were the first to be widely publicized, leading to the common name of "Spanish Flu".

I guess you could say the reasoning was political, but it was as much a wartime morale and strategic issue as it was a political issue. However, it certainly wasn't a roomful of politicians scheming to pin it on another nation

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

guess you could say the reasoning was political, but it was as much a wartime morale and strategic issue as it was a political issue. However, it certainly wasn't a roomful of politicians scheming to pin it on another nation

Folks in Spain commonly referred to it as the “French flu” at the time. 

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

a couple of weeks from now anyway

As someone who is only getting 1/4 of the coverage because of the impact of all this, isn't this the crux of the matter? Not just for testing but incubation and symptoms exhibited?

I'll randomly catch a segment showing some counties in state X having SiP but continuous counties aren't. I think new York maybe one of them. How in the Mississippi fuck does anyone think this virus won't jump counties or even states when it jumped countries and everyone is running their own gameplan? Shit's all fucked up and regarded right now. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Fuck it. You don't give a shit about yourself and/or your patients why should I?

In case you don't think Fla and Ga are under-reporting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/05/12/fauci-puts-it-bluntly-coronavirus-deaths-are-undercounted/

Maryland, I think has done a good job with transparency and covid responsiveness. Re-opening based on metrics with input from experts and business leaders. But on the under reporting issue, comparing MD and Georgia is interesting. 

MD reports 34,812 cases as of today and has 1,550 hospitalizations

GA reports 35,245 cases as of today, but 6,228 hospitalizations. 

Hospitalization numbers can’t be fudged as easily as inadequate testing or reporting on deaths because bed space is a pretty measurable resource. So what’s more likely- the same number of people are sick in MD and GA, but GA has a strain that hospitalized 4x as many people? Or that GA is under reporting their total numbers?

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

As someone who is only getting 1/4 of the coverage because of the impact of all this, isn't this the crux of the matter? Not just for testing but incubation and symptoms exhibited?

I'll randomly catch a segment showing some counties in state X having SiP but continuous counties aren't. I think new York maybe one of them. How in the Mississippi fuck does anyone think this virus won't jump counties or even states when it jumped countries and everyone is running their own gameplan? Shit's all fucked up and regarded right now. 

Absolutely, that's why its pretty dumb to look at any numbers a week into these states opening and proclaiming its all good.  Without comprehensive testing, you're completely reliant on lagging indicators of spread and deaths.  You'll see the spread spike in a couple of weeks,  You'll see the death spikes weeks after that.  And both of those can be delayed by the lag in what states are claiming is open versus what consumers are actually using.  

The rural Georgia cases are likely to contribute to clusters in urban centers, and we wont know until they have exploded.  Country cousin tries to flee bumfuck Georgia that has community spread and doesnt know they carried it into an urban center.  Decides to go shopping, get their hair did, attends a family gathering.  Completely invisible to these charts for weeks, and completely invisible to urban centers because our testing and tracing is shit.  

• Like 2

So what’s more likely- the same number of people are sick in MD and GA, but GA has a strain that hospitalized 4x as many people? Or that GA is under reporting their total numbers?

The only accurate numbers out of Georgia is the number of National Championships since 1980
  • Like 3

What year was that again? 

What? How is that relavent when the comparison is economic performance in different areas? Think about that for a second - for that to matter it would have to be that it ravaged the old in City A and the young in City B.