CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We should drag our asses across the finish line by mid-Autumn

As a pessimistic and ill informed layman, I’d enjoy knowing more about this herd thing and the notion of a finish line. I’ve taken in random data points, like folks have been reinfected, vaccinated people can carry as much viral load as the unvaccinated (and the reinfected,) and that mutations are more infectious. So, because I don’t know any better, though I know the concept relies on the infected becoming immune, I wonder if herd ‘immunity’ is still a thing.

54 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Meanwhile heterologous regimens have been the norm is most other first world countries for a while now.  My cousin in france did AZN + MRNA.  UK has used mixed regimens, Canada etc. It's amazing how conservative we are about vaccine regimens in the middle of a fucking pandemic.  The inability of the CDC or FDA to incorporate a little basic immunological science, epidemiology, and emerging data into their decision making at this point is bang head against the wall frustrating.  We should have been doing rapid roll out of first dose, mixed regimens and extended intervals when necessary from day 1 in the US.  We would have saved thousands of lives and perhaps even got in front of the disinformation curve with more rapid uptake. 

Faucci was saying on the Today Show this am that it doesn't matter a lot, but try to get the same shot as you got the first go-around.

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You've forgotten more about this topic than I'll ever know.  And we could have reworked the logistical side of the regimens to perfection, but we were never going to outrun the Empowered Stupidity in this nation.  We were always gonna hit this roadblock that we've been in for 60 days, and probably 60 more days to go.  Science and a better deployment method mixed with better messaging and continued mitigation efforts.  Would have saved maybe a few thousand people, but that's being generous. 

The curve of stupidity cannot be flattened.  Stupid people got a taste of not only feeling smart, but feeling in control.  That drug is impossible to kick.  Enough of them will be shamed into taking it, or feel like "Ah well, what the hell?  Nobody cares anymore that I chose not to take it for freedom reasons.  Might as well, I think we might need it for work anyway."  Plus a little uptick in herd from all the new cases.  We should drag our asses across the finish line by mid-Autumn.  If we're lucky.  

My sister and her husband are two of the stupider people I know (empowered stupid types, the "I know more than you" when they don't know shit from shinola) and are 2 of the only unvaxxed that I know as well.  As you say, can't fix stupid.  

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Faucci was saying on the Today Show this am that it doesn't matter a lot, but try to get the same shot as you got the first go-around.

What was the basis for that recommendation? I would be surprised that he articulated a strong basis for that opinion*.

*cause it doesn't exist. 

Indoor or outdoor?  I'm supposed to see Primus here at an outdoor venue next week with my son.  I'm guessing if we mask up it isn't the worst idea?  But if it is, someone keep me from being stupid(er).

Primus Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

John Chupp (FW judge) issues temporary restraining order striking down FWISD's mask mandate. I actually know John pretty well from when he was at St. Mary's Law with two of my best friends from HS and college. Good dude but he's way wrong on this issue.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The internet is definitely where you want to turn for that sort of advice.

Ha. Wasn’t going to base my opinion on it. I’m only 3 months into my second shot so I’m not too concerned about it yet, but pods seems to be more tuned into the actual data than I am so I wanted to hear if there was anything on the way of testing on that front. 

I’m actually starting to feel dirty about all this schadenfreude. But god damn, people. You had a chance to do the right thing and protect yourself (and others) and you decided to be a dick about it and mock the grown ups in the room.

It’s really really hard to feel bad for these folks. But then I remember they have kids and wives and friends and shit, and I feel like an ass for my initial smug reaction. 

What a fucked up time to be an American.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My sister and her husband are two of the stupider people I know (empowered stupid types, the "I know more than you" when they don't know shit from shinola) and are 2 of the only unvaxxed that I know as well.  As you say, can't fix stupid.  

spacer.png

All of it boy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I heard that dipshit Alex Berenson on the radio today.  He just spews lies.  I am 100% convinced it's a money play on his part -- he has set himself up as the contrarian covid "expert" and is making bank.

He cites rising case and hospitalization rates in Oregon as evidence the vaccine isn't working.  It's not a big stretch to understand why that's wrong:  delta is more contagious, and it is hitting the unvaccinated hard.  

He flat out states that medical and public health personnel are lying when they say that the overwhelming majority of hospitalized covid patients are unvaccinated.

Who can fight this shit when the people he is speaking to want to hear exactly those lies?  It's maddening.

Here's an older article I read about him that deep dives into his lies and manipulation of statistics.  He's obviously not changing his tactics.  Again, it's a pathological money grab, there is no other explanation.  I wish this shit didn't bother me so much, but that's exactly what he's hoping is true.

Alex Berenson

He has been engaged in a fight with Taleb for awhile. Taleb basically considers him a sociopath.

• Hook 'Em 2

If y'all want to know why we are completely and utterly fucked, understand that a healthy chunk of the anti-vax, anti-mask crowd shares this kind of thinking:

These people are among us.  The majority political party in the entire southern US panders to them completely.  

We are an aircraft that had a wing completely fall off.  I don't care if our pilot is the love child of Sully and Chuck Yeager, you don't recover from that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Should have just gone to the restroom and flushed the toilet with the mutes off. That's one of my key moves. 

Haha, the last time the CPNP Annual Meeting was in San Antonio, Henry Nasrallah accidentally left his lavalier mic hot after lecturing and went to the bathroom. We all had the pleasure of hearing him piss. Of course I thought of Frank Drebin of Police Squad. Good times.

(CPNP is the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists; Henry Nasrallah is a nationally well known Psychiatrist)

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m actually starting to feel dirty about all this schadenfreude. But god damn, people. You had a chance to do the right thing and protect yourself (and others) and you decided to be a dick about it and mock the grown ups in the room.

It’s really really hard to feel bad for these folks. But then I remember they have kids and wives and friends and shit, and I feel like an ass for my initial smug reaction. 

What a fucked up time to be an American.

I feel bad for the people that were duped by the lies. I feel no remorse for the people that know they are peddling the lies. 

9 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Haha, the last time the CPNP Annual Meeting was in San Antonio, Henry Nasrallah accidentally left his lavalier mic hot after lecturing and went to the bathroom. We all had the pleasure of hearing him piss. Of course I thought of Frank Drebin of Police Squad. Good times.

(CPNP is the College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists; Henry Nasrallah is a nationally well known Psychiatrist)

Lulz. 

If y'all want to know why we are completely and utterly fucked, understand that a healthy chunk of the anti-vax, anti-mask crowd shares this kind of thinking:

These people are among us.  The majority political party in the entire southern US panders to them completely.  
We are an aircraft that had a wing completely fall off.  I don't care if our pilot is the love child of Sully and Chuck Yeager, you don't recover from that.

This is....well...it's something. Holy shit.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

All these dumb fucks saying they'll beat COVID "if it's God's plan" should take a look at Matthew 4:7

Half the fun of being Christian is ignoring both the teachings of Jesus and the educational research his churches and universities have funded over the centuries.  

Anybody know of a good bible verse I can share with my mom about how God/Jesus want you to take good care of your body while you're here on Earth?  Thanks.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

She needs to be on a respirator.  Stat.  

Given her stances and beliefs, it's possible she will get there in due time.

What if he's Zivi Nedivi and we come in hot but ultimately safe?

But it's a hoax. 

Idaho hospital takes a patient from Oklahoma, because there were no beds in Oklahoma.

https://idahocapitalsun.com/briefs/a-covid-19-patient-in-oklahoma-needed-a-bed-the-closest-one-was-in-boise/

The latest COVID-19 surge is different from the last, and it’s much more dangerous, a local hospital executive said Thursday.

“The overall trend is bad. It’s looking worse than the December, January surge” of COVID-19, said Dr. Jim Souza, St. Luke’s chief physician executive.

Indeed, the number of COVID-19 patients statewide in the hospital, and particularly in intensive care units, has been rising as rapidly as it did in the fall. The hospitalizations now are at levels unseen since January.

Souza again implored the public to get vaccinated, which significantly reduces the risk of infection and severe illness.

In the fall and winter, the original coronavirus variant spread less quickly, making hot spots flare up and then die down in one place after another. The faster spreading delta variant seems to be hitting wide swaths of the U.S. at the same time.

Souza said two patients recently admitted to St. Luke’s with COVID-19 were transported to Boise from Tillamook, Oregon, and from Oklahoma

It’s not unusual for St. Luke’s to accept patient transfers from other states, he said. What is unusual is getting calls from hospitals on the Oregon coast or in Oklahoma, looking for a place to put their patients because no other hospitals nearby could take them.

Souza warned that Idaho is at risk of getting overwhelmed just like other states in the U.S.

“Our ICU census is bursting at the seams,” he said.

So, my 7 year old daughter, who goes to an elementary school in Pflugerville got her first "close possible contact" with a COVID positive kid yesterday (she went in person all last year and we never got one of these notifications). This was on day 1 of the school year.  What a shitshow.  Even though we live in Austin, there's evidently enough rednecks and/or libertarians in Pflugerville that PfISD isn't gonna defy Gov. Dipshit.

Edited by Dirk X West
  • Rage+1 2

John Chupp (FW judge) issues temporary restraining order striking down FWISD's mask mandate. I actually know John pretty well from when he was at St. Mary's Law with two of my best friends from HS and college. Good dude but he's way wrong on this issue.

Sadly it looks like the trial court judges are ruling along party lines. Not saying the decisions are themselves partisan but my faith in an unbiased judiciary has been pretty significantly shaken of late.

I’m not optimistic that we will see any difference in the trends as these work there way up to the SCOTX.

I heard in the radio today that Abbott and/or Paxton are seeking a ruling from the Fifth Circuit. Not sure how they would have jurisdiction; maybe I heard wrong and they were talking about his stop and frisk of brown people order.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I bet her undercarriage smells like Durian after she takes a flight of stairs.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The Q Virus has spread. 

facebook needs to get serious about this problem. It is a large vector for the Q Virus that burns out of control in people's brains.

A zombie hoax ate their brains. 

Plants-vs-Zombies-3.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Sadly it looks like the trial court judges are ruling along party lines. Not saying the decisions are themselves partisan but my faith in an unbiased judiciary has been pretty significantly shaken of late.

I’m not optimistic that we will see any difference in the trends as these work there way up to the SCOTX.

I heard in the radio today that Abbott and/or Paxton are seeking a ruling from the Fifth Circuit. Not sure how they would have jurisdiction; maybe I heard wrong and they were talking about his stop and frisk of brown people order.

TPR had a discussion earlier and some of the panelists think however wrong Abbott's policy is local governments can't overule his order.

Edited by F250