Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

Stanhope is pretty blatantly left wing. He seemed drawn to the surface aspects of libertarianism that many leftists were drawn toward in the late nineties and early 2000's. Then he got a glimpse of the people running the party and abandoned it pretty fast. He wrote about how idiotic one of their conventions was and it was a hilarious piece.

Tony Hinchecliffe just sucks. It's a pretty dreary era for standup. The guys currently selling out large theaters and small arenas are unwatchable to me. Bert Kreischer might be the worst I've ever seen and he seems to be at the top of the heap right now. Fat guy takes his shirt off. That's pretty much the entire bit. 

Rogan's standup is mainly screaming punchlines, a lot of physical comedy and humping the stool jokes. His comedy blows and he often doesn't even understand when his guests make jokes. He got confrontational with Theo Vonn about whether or not his friend really had a wooden shirt until theo had to inform it was a joke. Watching Joe rogan with an absurdist like Hannibal Burress is impossible. Joe simply doesn't understand.  

Roseanne is probably the biggest name he's had at that club and she sounds like she's seriously over medicated. She's gone. 

The edge lord guys are just boring and self important. 

Marc Maron's last special was the last set that has even remotely moved the needle for me in a long time. It was okay.  The funniest touring comic I've seen in the last three years was Maria Bamford. Really funny and she sells 50 tickets a show at the most. 

I saw a Steve Trevino show in La Jolla last year. Reasonably clean, and very, very funny. 

I enjoyed his bits when I first got satellite radio and listened to the comedy channels a lot. Now that a couple of decades has past, I wonder if I’d still like his schtick. 
He has interesting guests on, my homeboy sends me links from time to time, and it can be interesting and entertaining. Joe is intellectually curious and engages a wide variety of topics, but he's also a meat head and is self aware that he's the "Fear Factor Guy." As such, he's easily duped by fake news or clearly BS conspiracy shit, and the Guest's jokes fly right the fuck over his head. He is what he is, the problem is he has a huge audience and the bros take him at his word far to often. He's a walking talking "just asking questions" disrupter of serious discourse because of the aforementioned realities.

Eliza Shlesinger is funny as fuck. Saw her in NY, works her ass off.

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

He has interesting guests on, my homeboy sends me links from time to time, and it can be interesting and entertaining. Joe is intellectually curious and engages a wide variety of topics, but he's also a meat head and is self aware that he's the "Fear Factor Guy." As such, he's easily duped by fake news or clearly BS conspiracy shit, and the Guest's jokes fly right the fuck over his head. He is what he is, the problem is he has a huge audience and the bros take him at his word far to often. He's a walking talking "just asking questions" disrupter of serious discourse because of the aforementioned realities.

Doesn't follow.

We need to stop saying that being a dumbfuck on a wide variety of issues is “intellectual curiosity.” 

Anyway, Rogan, like Alex Jones and Q-Anon and other idiots, has so much of his world-view informed by movies and bad TV.  That’s on full display here with the “EpStEiN wAs An InTeL Op” idiocy. A dead giveaway for dumbassery in this type of shit is when the promoter just decides that the CIA and Mossad are interchangeable and it doesn’t really matter to the theory. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem, really, is podcasting. It's just too much unscripted time for these guys who are not very bright but uninhibited/ego-driven enough to think the world needs to hear 2+ hours of them daily. There's no time to distill anything or to set things up. All of the timing is reaction-based because it's just chuckleheads talking over each other.

But it pays the bills better than stand-up, or at least fills in the gaps.

Also, the comic as lone, fearless truth-teller shit has been played out for at least three decades at this point. We've got plenty of truth-tellers. So while comedy is fun and should even be insightful, they aren't the heroes they think they are.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem, really, is podcasting. It's just too much unscripted time for these guys who are not very bright but uninhibited/ego-driven enough to think the world needs to hear 2+ hours of them daily. There's no time to distill anything or to set things up. All of the timing is reaction-based because it's just chuckleheads talking over each other.

But it pays the bills better than stand-up, or at least fills in the gaps.

Also, the comic as lone, fearless truth-teller shit has been played out for at least three decades at this point. We've got plenty of truth-tellers. So while comedy is fun and should even be insightful, they aren't the heroes they think they are.

You just described Dave Chappelle. He's evolved from funny joke man to modern day public intellectual and ambassador for sanity through humorous form. Bill Burr, too.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 2

Yep.  25-30 years ago, a lot of their audience was listening to Rush Limbaugh, who had every show loosely scripted out where he'd hit his talking points as he heads into the commercial break.  Now, it's some dudes who watched a YouTube video that Epstein was a CIA agent or that Apollo 11 was a sound stage, and so they have to just ask questions.

I will fully agree with Bill Burr's take that we have too many people, and that a shitload of them need to just be killed off.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Born to Run said:

It's Iliza.  And she's in Austin all the time.  And her act isn't top-notch, but in real life...she is so fucking, naturally hilarious...it's painful  and yes, she is just absolutely gorgeous.  

I never realized we had so many smart people on this board, or people who view themselves as smart at least. Yet when they post on the football board they prove otherwise. 

I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I never realized we had so many smart people on this board, or people who view themselves as smart at least. Yet when they post on the football board they prove otherwise. 

Maybe. But now imagine the dumbest poster on the football board. Now realize that person is 100 times smarter than our Longhorn governor.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, Pancho said:

Are these the same guys? I keep hearing this guy complain about not being able to stop his wife from divorcing him. I feel like he a rogain are the same person, are they not?

Besides his wife divorcing him, he’s making a point that is a big deal for some conservatives: eliminating no fault divorce. Before the above video was released, he originally went on his show stating how he did nothing wrong and his wife is divorcing him and how that shouldn’t be allowed. There’s a growing movement on the right that you will need to prove infidelity or abuse before be granted a divorce. I also guarantee that a sub set of this group would want to put a level of abuse threshold. Occasional smack to get her in line is reasonable but send her to the hospital, well that could be wrong.

It’s part of make America great again. Greatness, to them, was when rich, white men could pretty much do whatever they want with little fear of consequence. They want that back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll just put the idea of women tacitly supporting a return to white male patriarchy in the "bucket of things I don't understand".

Prior to the overtuning of Roe V Wade, 70% of women age 18 and older were registered to vote.  For men, that fraction was 68.2%.  After Dobbs, there is some indication that newly registered voters were split some 55/45 women/men, although that disparity does seem to be receding.

Long story short:  more women vote, so why are these issues that are clearly not in their best interest still gaining traction?  It's maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll just put the idea of women tacitly supporting a return to white male patriarchy in the "bucket of things I don't understand".

Prior to the overtuning of Roe V Wade, 70% of women age 18 and older were registered to vote.  For men, that fraction was 68.2%.  After Dobbs, there is some indication that newly registered voters were split some 55/45 women/men, although that disparity does seem to be receding.

Long story short:  more women vote, so why are these issues that are clearly not in their best interest still gaining traction?  It's maddening.

Social media and video allow people to find content from politicians or influencers who have a wide variety of opinions. You may agree with one thing but hate another. For example, someone is served up a video where Crowder talks against trans athletes, and that appeals to a wide range of people. They support Crowder in that lens but they may not be served up a video where Crowder says that a woman should not have the right to leave her husband, or at least she can't leave plus expect financial support for the children.

This happens all the time with politicians. Say just enough to get elected but downplay the despicable stuff.

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Americans are idiots that routinely vote against their actual interests in favor of emotional flashpoint shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

On a real surface level way, he’s right.  The idea that it’s ok for black people to use a word in any context and completely unacceptable for white people to use it in any context is illogical and by definition racist.

Sounds like something a honky would say.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Probably need to rename the thread:

I’m sure his intent behind wanting to use the word is all positive too. He just wants to drop a bunch of n word’s while praising black people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Of course. Still, the first part of your post sounds like something a honky would say.

I agree.

Thats kind of my point.  In a rigidly logical sense, they might be right, but in the words of The Dude, “you’re not wrong - you’re just an asshole”.  Walsh is definitely an asshole.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m sure his intent behind wanting to use the word is all positive too. He just wants to drop a bunch of n word’s while praising black people. 

Maybe he just wants to karaoke some NWA?

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe he just wants to karaoke some NWA?

ohhhh man, that brings me back to my quite white friend from Ohio having the stones to get up in front of Rockin' Tomato and belt out his best rendition of "Do Wah Diddy." some people with kids came in later than the advertised time they were allowed and my friend asked them nicely to leave because their kids were about to hear a lot of dirty talk (his go-to was "Baby Got Back") but after mom/karen mouthed off at the suggestion that her kids might need to leave, he walked up to the dj and whispered something to him and he chuckled and nodded. Then it came for his turn at the mic. Hooooly shit, I've never seen anyone so red doing karoake, but it matched karen's tone as she screamed at all of us how we were going to hell as she dragged her kids out the door. the dj, large black dude, just chuckled his ass off and shook his head. pretty sure I was doing the same. good times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

On a real surface level way, he’s right.  The idea that it’s ok for black people to use a word in any context and completely unacceptable for white people to use it in any context is illogical and by definition racist.

As I taught my students at the college level, there is no word you can call a White person that holds oppression like the word nigger does. And there never will be. 

If there was, White peopled could use the n word without repercussion.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

As I taught my students at the college level, there is no word you can call a White person that holds oppression like the word nigger does. And there never will be. 

Now you’re going to get a bunch of right wing honkies trying to insist that there’s an equal level of oppression in honky so they can go full Wallen.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

And it's not new. Patrick Henry was screaming it in his opposition to ratification of the Constitution.

I can't speak for all the white supremacist / MAGA fucks / Christian nationalists out there, but I can speak for the ones I have dealt with for the better part of 40 years. All of them, to a one, bitch about not being able to drop the n bomb. They'll bring up this grievance in the most random and Kafka-esque of times (funerals, in my experience). They are angry, in large part, because they cannot use that word at a whim anymore.

They're willing to fuck their own face and die poor, broken, and beholden to grifters all because of a fucking word. Smooth-brained madness.

Edited by Stilicho
inventing new words
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree.

Thats kind of my point.  In a rigidly logical sense, they might be right, but in the words of The Dude, “you’re not wrong - you’re just an asshole”.  Walsh is definitely an asshole.

I still think this is wrong. There are plenty of contexts in which one group can use a word or phrase and others can’t/shouldn’t. Ever see a group of friends call each other dumb sluts or mother fuckers and everyone laughs? Someone from the outside does it and hands will get thrown. Similar concept but to 11 with centuries of dark evil shit behind it. Definitely agree with the rest, even if it was some logical fallacy (again I disagree) just let it go already. In what not shithead context is it so necessary for a white person to use the word in anything other than an academic sense, and even then it’s rarely necessary. 

Edited by 'stache

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I still think this is wrong. There are plenty of contexts in which one group can use a word or phrase and others can’t/shouldn’t. Ever see a group of friends call each other dumb sluts or mother fuckers and everyone laughs? Someone from the outside does it and hands will get thrown. Similar concept but to 11 with centuries of dark evil shit behind it. Definitely agree with the rest, even if it was some logical fallacy (again I disagree) just let it go already. In what not shithead context is it so necessary for a white person to use the word in anything other than an academic sense, and even then it’s rarely necessary. 

It’s never necessary for white people to use it, which is why the desire to do so is asshole behavior.

Your analogy doesn’t really hold up though, because there’s always SOME context in which people are socially allowed to use those words.  I think to some extent the obsession some right wingers have with not getting to use it is the same thing as a child desperate to do the things their parents don’t let them do. 

I want to take Matt Walsh to the lower Ninth Ward in New Orleans and have him hurl the N word around so he can fully understand how inconsequential it is. "Let it rip, Matt. It's just a combination of vowels and consonants. I'm sure it'll be fine."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1