What do you order at Whataburger?

Topper13

Here in the KC area we still don't have a full menu. Mostly just the basics. But they do have the patty melt. Got one tonight with added bacon. They were very generous with the bacon and the creamy pepper sauce. It was the best one I've ever had at Whataburger. I'm pretty strict keto, but we've been celebrating Mrs. Mo's birthday this weekend so we had one last splurge. It was worth every carb. 

Took the boy (11) in yesterday morning for breakfast; he didn't know they had breakfast on the menu.  We were driving by, I mentioned it and he asked if we could stop.  He ordered the pancakes and I ordered a honey butter chicken biscuit.  I knew what I was getting into, but on the pancake side, I had low expectations.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size, thickness and freshness of the pancakes.  I had a few bites, and they were pretty damned good.  Boy liked them enough that he wants to go back, and I'll probably get them for myself next time as well.  And then, most likely, I will get some lifeless soggy ass facsimile of a pancake and will be promptly disappointed.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Took the boy (11) in yesterday morning for breakfast; he didn't know they had breakfast on the menu.  We were driving by, I mentioned it and he asked if we could stop.  He ordered the pancakes and I ordered a honey butter chicken biscuit.  I knew what I was getting into, but on the pancake side, I had low expectations.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size, thickness and freshness of the pancakes.  I had a few bites, and they were pretty damned good.  Boy liked them enough that he wants to go back, and I'll probably get them for myself next time as well.  And then, most likely, I will get some lifeless soggy ass facsimile of a pancake and will be promptly disappointed.

HEB sells the Whataburger pancake mix too

I got a couple taquitos for maybe the first time ever the other day. Not sure why I'd been a hold out. I guess the word "taquito" has always thrown me for a loop when they're just breakfast tacos basically. Got a bacon egg and cheese and a potato egg and cheese ranchero style which is with salsa and a bunch of grilled japs. Was pleasantly surprised.

9 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

How does a child get to age 11 without knowing Whataburger has breakfast?

It's a valid question.  We just don't eat many meals out at Whataburger, or whatever other fast food place there is.  And in his life, he's probably had Whataburger maybe a dozen or so times.  He's never paid attention to the menu, andriving by, seeing cars there and me mentioning breakfast is the only thing that brought it to his attention.  Had I not said anything, it might be a few more years before he realized it.

It's a valid question.  We just don't eat many meals out at Whataburger, or whatever other fast food place there is.  And in his life, he's probably had Whataburger maybe a dozen or so times.  He's never paid attention to the menu, andriving by, seeing cars there and me mentioning breakfast is the only thing that brought it to his attention.  Had I not said anything, it might be a few more years before he realized it.

This is a good thing.

Don't go anymore.  Since the corporate buyout, the quality has gone downhill.  It was so bad one day at one of my usual West Texas stops, I talked to a manager.  The bun was different, the meat was dry and just did not have the Whataburger taste that I am fond of.  He told me that their corporate mandate is to become the next Chick-Fil-A.  From the ordering process, the drive thru line, the making of product is going to be based on that model.  Hate it, on the other hand, have lost a couple pounds by not stopping for lunches on the go.  

11 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

The bun was different, the meat was dry and just did not have the Whataburger taste that I am fond of.  He told me that their corporate mandate…

fucking chicago issuing corporate mandates for whataburger. I guess we already knew it but seeing it on the page evokes a visceral reaction. 

fucking chicago issuing corporate mandates for whataburger. I guess we already knew it but seeing it on the page evokes a visceral reaction. 

If Russia is nationalizing abandoned western businesses, it stands to reason that Texas should take back Whataburger and find a Texas based gazillionaire to buy it, or operate it as a Texas corporation run by the railroad commission or something. Fuck those chi town thick ass pizza eating douchebags.

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

If Russia is nationalizing abandoned western businesses, it stands to reason that Texas should take back Whataburger and find a Texas based gazillionaire to buy it, or operate it as a Texas corporation run by the railroad commission or something. Fuck those chi town thick ass pizza eating douchebags.

Chicago deep dish pizza is glorious.

Chicago Whataburger, not so much.

9 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s a casserole not a pizza. Chicago tavern thin crust is great. Italian beef is great. Chicago hot dogs…ditch the tomato and pickle spear. And David Berg dogs are better than Vienna.

It's a delicious deep dish delicacy.  It's okay for you to be wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 4:36 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Buddy received a burger minus the meat patty recently, so basically a Whatabread. 

This happened to us a couple weeks back at the Temple one. What the actual fuck? The only two times in my life I've heard of someone getting a burger with literally no burger, and they are both at Whataburger in the last 60 days?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

This happened to us a couple weeks back at the Temple one. What the actual fuck? The only two times in my life I've heard of someone getting a burger with literally no burger, and they are both at Whataburger in the last 60 days?

I blame Chicago.  Bastards.

On 4/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Anyone try the Southern Bacon burger yet?
Slaw on a burger has me hesitant.

Why can't we just have the Green Chile Double and A1 T&H?  Chicago bastards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Whataburger now sucks.  Better to just accept the truth and move on.

A lot of people in this thread struggle to let go and I understand it. Best I can say for them is that their fries are still pretty solid for the most part. Other than that - they're batting pretty fucking low for me on shit that's edible over the past 6 mos.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

A lot of people in this thread struggle to let go and I understand it. Best I can say for them is that their fries are still pretty solid for the most part. Other than that - they're batting pretty fucking low for me on shit that's edible over the past 6 mos.

If I were to rank the burger places within a 3 mile radius of my house (N. Dallas)  Whataburger no longer makes the top 5.  And I certainly gave them more slack than they deserved because it’s Whataburger.  My interaction with them going forward will be if I am on a road trip and they are the closest available option for breakfast.  It’s hard to fuck up a fast food breakfast.