What do you order at Whataburger?

Topper13

It is - but I've had a couple of really shitty HBCBs from them recently. 

Now you’ve really delivered bad fucking news. My last Whataburger a couple weeks ago was very good: standby double meat double cheese extra mustard add grilled japs. This was a few days after a disappointing custom order of a double double on Texas toast with grated cheese, grilled japs, pepper sauce, spicy ketchup, raw onion. That one had one patty well done and the other just cooked. The toast was limp. No sauce of any kind. Had I not been down the road would have returned for a refund.

I always hold fast to the goodness of a Jalapeño cheddar honey butter chicken biscuit. Now it’s foundering. Sadness indeed in Texas.

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Now you’ve really delivered bad fucking news. My last Whataburger a couple weeks ago was very good: standby double meat double cheese extra mustard add grilled japs. This was a few days after a disappointing custom order of a double double on Texas toast with grated cheese, grilled japs, pepper sauce, spicy ketchup, raw onion. That one had one patty well done and the other just cooked. The toast was limp. No sauce of any kind. Had I not been down the road would have returned for a refund.

I always hold fast to the goodness of a Jalapeño cheddar honey butter chicken biscuit. Now it’s foundering. Sadness indeed in Texas.

Floundering* but yes. I don't doubt that WB is putting out some good meals still - I just think the consistency overall is lacking. 

What does the southern style sauce taste like?  They got rid of a lot of stuff permanently, it looks like.  No chicken bites, no chicken fajita, mushroom and Swiss like people have mentioned.  Breakfast burger went away again.  I fucking loved that thing.  They are back to the original spicy ketchup only too.  While the "limited" one was just cholula+ketchup I liked it better than the original spicy ketchup which was already pretty good.

The Whata I go to has definitely seen a service and quality decline but I don't know how much of that is due to lockdown related causes vs getting bought out.  Whata and CFA are the only two fast food places I routinely order from and the CFA has not declined but it was always the benchmark for fast food service and quality even before the lockdown.

I had the Southern Double burger tonight and I was blown away by how much I liked it.  Part of that was that I had low expectations going in, but goddamn was it good.  It is up there in my top 4 with #1 being Thick and Hearty and the 2/3/4 tied with Hatch, Chophouse and this one.  The sauce was badass.  It was like mayo cut with extra vinegar and beef consommé.  I don't like slaw but cabbage just for crunch worked great on this.  This has more bacon than any sandwich they've ever offered IMO.  It was wall to wall bacon.  It's also one solid ass meal.  This burger + fries are more food than most average Whata customers are used to.

In the spirit of shitting on their recent service, they left the fries out of my order.  It was curbside placed through their app and they brought the fries out shortly after I called them to tell them about it.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 8:36 AM, Hozz said:

What does the southern style sauce taste like?  They got rid of a lot of stuff permanently, it looks like.  No chicken bites, no chicken fajita, mushroom and Swiss like people have mentioned.  Breakfast burger went away again.  I fucking loved that thing.  They are back to the original spicy ketchup only too.  While the "limited" one was just cholula+ketchup I liked it better than the original spicy ketchup which was already pretty good.

The Whata I go to has definitely seen a service and quality decline but I don't know how much of that is due to lockdown related causes vs getting bought out.  Whata and CFA are the only two fast food places I routinely order from and the CFA has not declined but it was always the benchmark for fast food service and quality even before the lockdown.

CFA has declined. Stopped eating there after three straight sandwiches with chicken that was smaller, tough, and barely edible. 

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

CFA has like 3 menu items and premakes all their food.  Yes their drive thru line moves quick because your food was ready before you even ordered.  The only code they cracked is convincing everyone to want a plain sandwich.  

deluxe no cheese holla. 

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

CFA has like 3 menu items and premakes all their food.  Yes their drive thru line moves quick because your food was ready before you even ordered.  The only code they cracked is convincing everyone to want a plain sandwich.  

I mean its great though, and they have way more than 3 menu items.  In and Out is probably more popular with almost no menu diversity at all.  Common burger varieties or some of the worst fries available, those are your choices.  Back to CFA, regular/spicy/grilled just covers their sandwiches.  They have easily the best nuggets and sauces anywhere.  Wraps and salads for the ladies as well as a bunch of sides that are unusual for a fast food joint like mac and cheese, kale salad and soup.  And that's just lunch/dinner.  Their breakfast kicks all kinds of ass and destroys any other fast food place's breakfast menu.  The breakfast bowl and burrito are awesome.

IMO the only fast food with a better chicken sandwich is Popeye's and literally every Popeye's I have ever gone to has been a hellscape of broken equipment, unavailable items/services and a staff that gives less than zero fucks.  Oh and they also have a non zero chance of being closed for no reason during posted business hours.  Taco Bell and Jack in the Box are white glove service next to Popeye's.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I mean its great though, and they have way more than 3 menu items.  In and Out is probably more popular with almost no menu diversity at all.  Common burger varieties or some of the worst fries available, those are your choices.  Back to CFA, regular/spicy/grilled just covers their sandwiches.  They have easily the best nuggets and sauces anywhere.  Wraps and salads for the ladies as well as a bunch of sides that are unusual for a fast food joint like mac and cheese, kale salad and soup.  And that's just lunch/dinner.  Their breakfast kicks all kinds of ass and destroys any other fast food place's breakfast menu.  The breakfast bowl and burrito are awesome.

IMO the only fast food with a better chicken sandwich is Popeye's and literally every Popeye's I have ever gone to has been a hellscape of broken equipment, unavailable items/services and a staff that gives less than zero fucks.  Oh and they also have a non zero chance of being closed for no reason during posted business hours.  Taco Bell and Jack in the Box are white glove service next to Popeye's.

The only reason to go to CFA is if you have kids.  Popeyes is worth the hassle 9/10 times.  That tenth time can be a bitch though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 7:09 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Floundering is better than having no Whataburger at all. 

Edited by shnsajax

Y'all are acting like Whataburger wasn't a roll of the dice before they were purchased by the Chicago entity. They fucked up your order about 30% of the time before, and I think it's still about that rate today. My Whataburger at William Cannon and MoPac has been pretty consistent. I got a completely wrong order once. They often forget to put in the side of gravy that I order because I like to dip my fries into it. But overall they're pretty good. 

• Like 3

On 4/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, conVINCEd said:

The only reason to go to CFA is if you have kids. 

That's funny and true.  I don't think I ate CFA between my freshman year of college and my daughter turning 3.  So a nice 15 year hiatus.  I do enjoy the 2-3 times I eat it a year these days (my kids eat it weekly).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, threesheets said:

That's funny and true.  I don't think I ate CFA between my freshman year of college and my daughter turning 3.  So a nice 15 year hiatus.  I do enjoy the 2-3 times I eat it a year these days (my kids eat it weekly).

I don’t believe we had a CFA that was all that convenient our freshman year.

Just looked on the app, and it’s no  longer an option. Chicago motherfuckers can get fucked.  

Just checked myself.

Motherfucking fucking motherfuckers. What the fucking fuck is this fuckery?
I presume that we can declare war against Chicago and commit atrocities against the new ownership that would make Putin blush, right?
  • Like 1

Though really it's the shitty American public that drives this to an extent.  The same people that sit in lines out on to the road (they are efficient I will give them that) for soggy fucking Chick Fil A sandwiches that were made 20 minutes before you got there and "oh my god I had to get my Chick Fil A" drive the tastes a big corporate type entity are going to adhere to.  Soggy Chick Fil A Sandwich Karen probably doesn't have the taste buds to truly enjoy the exquisite fabulousness of a well crafted jalapeno cheddar biscuit.  Bitch buys a lot of food for her three dipshit kids....all plain biscuits.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

Stopped at WB in Southpark Meadows today and they told me the jalapeno cheddar biscuit is discontinued.  And so it begins...

I just got one last weekend!  What the ever loving hell!  That has been my go-to forever.  I'm done.  This company could mess up Christmas.

yqZyugx.gif

Edited by dcbc

I sent them a strongly-worded (yet professional) email, appealing to the Texan heritage of the JCB, and asking if Geno's East or Lou Malnati's should stop serving deep dish or Al's Italian should pull the beef sandwich. I fully expect them to ignore it, but still...

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

Edited by Dutch

On 4/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, Hozz said:

KFC's chicken sandwich is perhaps better than Popeye's. Both are a crapshoot when it comes to service. They don't exactly attract "top talent."

On 4/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, irishtexan said:

Y'all are acting like Whataburger wasn't a roll of the dice before they were purchased by the Chicago entity. They fucked up your order about 30% of the time before, and I think it's still about that rate today. My Whataburger at William Cannon and MoPac has been pretty consistent. I got a completely wrong order once. They often forget to put in the side of gravy that I order because I like to dip my fries into it. But overall they're pretty good. 

100% this. Sometimes the food is wonderful. More often than not, it ain't. And it's not consistent. Ever.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

I sent them a strongly-worded (yet professional) email, appealing to the Texan heritage of the JCB, and asking if Geno's East or Lou Malnati's should stop serving deep dish or Al's Italian should pull the beef sandwich. I fully expect them to ignore it, but still...

The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

I'm pissed they got rid of the JCB, but it's only been around since 2014. It's not like when they dumped the A1T&H burger. Bastards.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

KFC's chicken sandwich is perhaps better than Popeye's. Both are a crapshoot when it comes to service. They don't exactly attract "top talent."

100% this. Sometimes the food is wonderful. More often than not, it ain't. And it's not consistent. Ever.

Had the spicy Ch'King from Burger king; best of the fast food Chicken Sandwiches I've had so far

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Had the spicy Ch'King from Burger king; best of the fast food Chicken Sandwiches I've had so far

giphy.gif

Maybe it is, but Burger King employees are the worst. Just sad, pathetic, and without any desire even interact with you. At least Popeye's employees are aggressively sad and pathetic. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2022 at 3:05 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Counter-point: In & Out drive through. There is no excuse for as long as the Whataburger drive through is. 

Had the Southern Double Bacon today. Very good. Solid blend of flavors. Wouldn’t get it every time but def would add to the reg rotation.

I also enjoyed it. Subbed toast, extra sauce, no onions, add japs obv.
  • Like 1