College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

These cancellations are ruining what has already been a crazy year for sports. When we get to playoff time it's going to be insane determining who's in and who's out. If I'm the head coach of a lower tier program like Coastal Carolina or Texas A&M, I'm telling my players this might be their only chance to get on the national stage and if you wanna win you better goddamn win now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

These cancellations are ruining what has already been a crazy year for sports. When we get to playoff time it's going to be insane determining who's in and who's out. If I'm the head coach of a lower tier program like Coastal Carolina or Texas A&M, I'm telling my players this might be their only chance to get on the national stage and if you wanna win you better goddamn win now.

Now this is A+ shade, folks.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

tone deaf dabo

Stewie Mandel reporting.  The same Stewie Mandel that acted like a complete dick by trying to say the Big XII found their heart doctor on Twitter which convinced them to play while the B1G were holding their dicks and relying on highly dubious data regarding myocarditis to shut their season down?    That Guy is your go to for trying to make someone look bad?   Lol

• Hook 'Em 6

On 11/21/2020 at 9:51 AM, HRSchenker said:

Impressive. 

Anyone want to guess the number of cancelled games this week? (right now zero are listed as cancelled/postponed on ESPN's scoreboard)
I'd but the O/U number at 19.5 - last week there were 17
I'll take the under as FSU might actually choose to play Virginia

and to touch on that tweet about PSU/MSU, it isn't wrong....but there are about 20+ of those games this week, and every week...things like Duke/GaTech, UTenn/Vandy, etc

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Not a good look there, but teams are using this to get out of games. Maryland had 8 guys out for Ohio State. They cancelled. Minnesota played this week with TWENTY out. Dabo makes a point. Needs to shut up about it, but still.

Yea, that's why most schools are cancelling based on position group availability, not # of players.  If those 8 players are your entire QB room or WR group, you cant field a functional team.  If you have 20 players out but they are spread out 2-3 per position group, and they are practice squad/second/third stringers, you can still play a game.  

FSU absolutely used it to dodge Clemson this week, but Clemson fucked up by allowing a symptomatic guy to keep practicing.  They should have taken the ass whipping, because it wont get any better later in the year.  Even if Purdy is healthy, I expect more transfers and/or "injuries" to guys down the stretch.  FSU is playing for nothing and they are in the "fuck this guy" phase of a new coaching hire.  

Just now, TXSG8R said:

Clemson fucked up by allowing a symptomatic guy to keep practicing. 

It's really hard. He's symptomatic, but he had multiple negative tests during the week. I don't really know what a team is supposed to do in that situation-- I guess it would come down to "do you have any of the specific COVID symptoms" like impaired sense of taste or unusually impaired respiratory performance. Otherwise, it could just be seasonal allergies or something. 

On 11/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, Js1 said:

Example 1
(Average number of conference games played is 8.25 (rounded down to 8), thus teams must have played at least 7 conference games to be considered as a Championship Game participant.)

Team A: 8-0 (Championship Game participant)
Team B: 7-1 (loss to team C)
Team 😄 6-1 (win over Team B)

1. Teams B and C have both played the required number of conference games in this scenario (7).
  2. Team C has the same number of losses as Team B and has a win over Team B.
  3. Team C would be the second participant in the Championship Game due to the head-to-head win over Team B.

Example 2
(Average number of conference games played is 8.25 (rounded down to 8), thus teams must have played at least 7 conference games to be considered as a Championship Game participant.)

Team A: 7-0 (Championship Game participant)
Team B: 6-2 (loss to team C)
Team 😄 4-2 (win over Team B)

• Team C has not played the required number of conference games (7), thus would not be eligible to participate in the Championship Game despite the same number of losses and a win over Team B.

Example 3
(Average number of conference games played is 7.50 (rounded up to 8), thus teams must have played at least 7 conference games to be considered as a Championship Game participant.)
Team A: 8-0 (Championship Game participant)
Team B: 6-2 (loss to team C)
Team 😄 5-2 (win over Team B)

1. Teams B and C have both played the required number of conference games in this scenario (7).
  2. Team C has the same number of losses as Team B and has a win over Team B.
  3. Team C would be the second participant in the Championship Game due to the head-to-head win over Team B.

I’m semi soft ‘tarded, but what’s the difference between example 1 & 3?

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

It's really hard. He's symptomatic, but he had multiple negative tests during the week. I don't really know what a team is supposed to do in that situation-- I guess it would come down to "do you have any of the specific COVID symptoms" like impaired sense of taste or unusually impaired respiratory performance. Otherwise, it could just be seasonal allergies or something. 

I think the smartest thing teams could do is put anyone symptomatic in a separate group, so worst case, you lose the symptomatic group if someone tests positive.  I know that's hard with some positions since coordinated reps with the first team is wanted, but the alternative is shit like this where one guy costs you a game. 

The funniest thing about this is its Clemson.  Their 2s are better than a lot of people's 1s, and they were prepping for FSU, which is a borderline dumpster fire.

Would be nice if the schools that started the season much earlier and managed to get in 6 or so games (and are undefeated) had a shot to play. But we have no legit CFP in my opinion. There will be a ton more games canceled if they can even get to a CFP. Which is seeming less likely. This sucks. 

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

what's next?  speed limits raised to 45 in a school zone?  no longer having to use a clean plate for return trips to the buffet? We can finally pick 1 of No Shirt/No  Shoes and get service?

The 14 days was not based on much scientific research. It was a blanket rule at the time and we have later found 10 days matches the data more on symptoms and transmission. 

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Would be nice if the schools that started the season much earlier and managed to get in 6 or so games (and are undefeated) had a shot to play. But we have no legit CFP in my opinion. There will be a ton more games canceled if they can even get to a CFP. Which is seeming less likely. This sucks. 

A legit playoff is one that is played with the teams available. 

The Big Ten and Pac’s utter failure were beyond predictable. They thought everyone would follow their fucktarded lead and cancel the season. Cases were always going to spike in November. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

The Big Ten and Pac’s utter failure were beyond predictable. They thought everyone would follow their fucktarded lead and cancel the season. Cases were always going to spike in November. 

They also setup arbitrary and non science based rules on contact tracing that just submarined any chance of having a complete season. There should be no special consideration for those two conferences. And BTW, still zero cases of the heart inflammation in a football player that they cited as the reason to cancel in the first place. They played politics with the virus, lost and now they can live with the consequences. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

And Ohio State is still likely to get in. If it’s OSU, Bama, Clemson and Notre Dame in the CFP that’s legit as fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1