2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, sachick said:

How many military ballots are possible from Georgia in the next week? Only A 2k lead in Georgia makes me nervous and I wouldn’t think they call it?

Biden will have more than a 2k lead before provisionals and absentees. My guess is closer to 5-6k. Provisionals will blunt much of any shift from the military absentees, which I wouldn’t expect a large number of anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This is what I see happening as well. They know Trump can’t hold onto PA but they want to let the state announce the lead change, and then they will call Pa and then the presidency for Biden. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some level of discussion with Biden’s camp to get him ready to give a speech.

You’re right. I think if making that call wasn’t making the call in the presidency it would have been called already. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-whines-why-isnt-barr-coming-to-save-me

In the days since an inconclusive election night likely threw his presidency into the heap of one-termers, Donald Trump and some of his top political advisers have found another scapegoat to groan about: William Barr’s insufficiently subservient Justice Department.

As his team began launching legal and public-relations blitzes in several key states and contesting the still-undetermined 2020 presidential election this week, the president has grown impatient with the Department of Justiceand its seeming unwillingness to immediately intervene on Team Trump’s behalf, according to two people familiar with his private comments. “Why isn’t [DOJ] on this?” Trump asked, during one of many recent tirades about his baseless claim that the Democrats are somehow stealing the election.

The president and his advisers’ displeasure at the Justice Department—which, to be clear, as part of the federal government is not supposed to be an adjunct of a particular political campaign—is another sign that the upper ranks of Trumpworld are desperately hoping that someone or something, somewhere, will come to their rescue and deliver a second term.

Asked if she believes the Justice Department should intervene pronto, Jenna Ellis, a senior legal adviser to Trump and his reelection campaign, simply replied on Thursday, “That’s not my call,” adding that “the campaign is working to protect election integrity and ensure that every legal vote counts.”

Still, the desire within Trump’s senior staff for a swift intervention by Attorney General Barr was palpable on Thursday. As one senior aide on Team Trump tersely put it: “Our campaign sure does! We’re frustrated.” Asked by The Daily Beast about whether or not the Department of Justice should swoop in, John Dowd, who repped the president during the Mueller probe and remains an informal legal adviser to Trump, responded, “I hope so. I hope they’re on the job.”

The Trump campaign had filed lawsuits to halt vote counting in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Georgia when the president’s son tweeted for federal assistance. “Where is he** is the @FBI & @TheJusticeDept?” Eric Trump demanded to know Thursday.

Spoiler

That doesn’t mean the help won’t come eventually. Some Justice Department officials, particularly those who consider Attorney General Bill Barr little more than a Trumpist enforcer, have long predicted that senior Justice Department leadership would not sit on the sidelines while the Trump campaign contests election counts in court.

“The fact we haven’t seen it yet is not a comfort. Contorted constitutional-legal theories are Barr’s preferred modus operandi,” said a current federal prosecutor on condition of anonymity.

And while it hasn’t filed a motion to intervene so far, the Justice Department has tentatively waded into the campaign muck. A senior official, Richard Donoghue, informed federal prosecutors the morning after election night that the department reserves the right to order “armed federal law enforcement” to ballot-counting locations on the grounds of investigating potential vote fraud, the New York Times reported. Yet there has been no credible evidence of voter fraud, only a repeated insistence by the Trump campaign. In Georgia on Thursday, the first lawsuit filed by the campaign to stop the count was dismissed for baselessness in alleging misconduct.

It was only the latest instance of Barr’s Justice Department echoing the Trump campaign line. In late September, the department announcedfederal prosecutors in Pennsylvania’s Luzerne County were probing “potential issues with a small number of mail-in ballots” it explicitly claimed were Trump votes. State officials days later stated flatly that an error, not fraud, resulted in nine discarded military ballots.

Barr himself blazed the trail. Earlier in September, Barr falsely claimed to have indicted someone in Texas for falsifying 1,700 ballots. In reality, a Justice Department investigation of the incident found no fraud and pursued no charges. Barr’s office conceded the error.

The Justice Department did not respond to a request for comment. The FBI declined and referred comment to the Justice Department. Trump campaign and White House spokespeople did not immediately respond, either.

One factor inhibiting Justice Department intervention is the contradictory strategies pursued by Trump and his supporters in the various states where it suits them. In Georgia, Pennsylvania and Michigan—states where Joe Biden either has taken a lead or where still-unreported counties are expected to favor Biden—the campaign wants the count to stop. But in Arizona, where Trump expects unreported ballots to favor him, Trump supporters have been demanding to proceed with the count.

Intervention at such a fluid time runs the risk of federal courts establishing a rule that would work to the Trump campaign’s disadvantage in a different state. Incoherent legal approaches also risk putting federal judges—as well as Trump appointees to the Supreme Court—in untenable positions that might not yield the result Trump wants.

Barr, the federal prosecutor believes, prefers to “give the appearance that DOJ is not appearing in frivolous Giuliani lawsuits, or seen to be on the side of Eric Trump. He wants to give the impression that DOJ is restrained and responsible, and then when all votes are counted and he figures out which states matter, then he will invent some contorted legal theory that suits the facts of the states that matter for Trump.”

The prosecutor continued: “However contorted and meritless a legal theory Barr wants to press, he does know that whatever it is, it has to be consistent, and he can’t know what position to take right now. But you’ll know pretty soon.”

Elie Honig, the former federal prosecutor and CNN legal analyst, said any intervention from Barr would come only if the balloting margins are small enough that it could determine the outcome. If so, Barr would likely “lend DOJ’s heft” to Trump’s court cases, said Honig, who next year will publish a book about Barr and his legacy at Main Justice, “Hatchet Man.”

Outside of that, Barr could also push Trump’s lines about voter fraud. “Thus far, Barr has tried mightily to prop up the fraud narrative with a series of unsupported or untrue public statements. It seems there’s just nothing there, but he could keep trying,” Honig said.

As the Luzerne County example indicates, some U.S. attorneys, particularly in Pennsylvania, may be eager to jump into the fray. William McSwain, the federal prosecutor in Philadelphia, where Trump supporters are demanding access to the ballot count, last year baselessly accused the Philadelphia district attorney of being “Soros-funded.” A recent profile in Philadelphia magazine described McSwain, a relentless backer of the police, as likely to seek a GOP nomination for higher office.

And on Thursday night, the local Republican Party gave the Justice Department an invitation to intervene in the election. “Our lawyers just sent a criminal referral to AG Barr regarding at least 3,062 instances of voter fraud,” the party tweeted.

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’ve been saying...Rs could circle the wagons and join in an impeachment in the next couple weeks as they try to shore up 2022.

Congressional R's are paralyzed.  Trump didn't get away with as much as he has these years without getting them to take a bite of the apple.  Trump peddles blackmail.  It fuels his engine.  Keep an eye on how they navigate this to avoid Trump's externalizing and spiteful blame.  Right now, they have to be the ones most hoping for a sudden infarct.

2 minutes ago, heso said:

Hannity after talking about the gains in Arizona: “in Arizona, looks like the only state where they’re counting this right, the president keeps gaining.”

(Trump picks up votes in Arizona) Hannity: "Yay! They're counting them right! Keep counting the votes!"

(Biden picks up votes in Georgia) Hannity: "Boo! They're counting them wrong! Stop counting the votes!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They were just saying on NBC that Biden won't make a speech tonight, even if it's called. Lame. 

To be fair, I’m 45ish years younger, and I don’t think I could give a speech after the last few nights. I’d imagine he’s gotten less sleep than I have, but I’ve had a few gallons more vodka so it’s kind of a wash
  • Hook 'Em 1

We need Biden to win Georgia, Nevada, and Arizona as insurance. Dubbya and his team were able to steal the election in 2000 because they focused all of their grievances on one state.

also if Biden wins a republican state with a republican governor and SOS, it undermines trumps argument of “ rampant” voter fraud. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I think it's possible we overdid it on how many Irish we let into the country.

I’m part Irish, but my english, German, and French ancestors were here before the revolutionary war, so I think I’m good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Biden will have more than a 2k lead before provisionals and absentees. My guess is closer to 5-6k. Provisionals will blunt much of any shift from the military absentees, which I wouldn’t expect a large number of anyway. 

To expand on this, according to this article. There were 9k absentee ballots not counted, but Fulton county has close to 4K provisionals, and Dekalb has 1600. Even if the military absentees break 75% for trump the provisionals will probably offset them. 

https://www.ajc.com/politics/more-ballots-arriving-in-georgia-from-overseas-and-provisional-voters/2IKU3WM5XZD7FDQE5DAOKYXTMY/

Just now, heso said:

I’m part Irish, but my english, German, and French ancestors were here before the revolutionary war, so I think I’m good. 

My Irish ancestors were in the French & Indian War*, so I'm getting a bit buzzed.

*By "in the war", I mean "sat around in a camp near Albany NY until peace broke out."

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s been winning 59% which is the minimum he needs to pull even. If that margin drops at all, hes donezo

It's actually dropped with each dump. The last Maricopa batch put him below his need rate.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

! ' Friend of mine who was on the speech team at UT with me works at a news station in Georgia. What they are hearing:

If that post-it note is accurate and the remaining county mail-in percentages match the already counted mail-in percentages for each county, then Biden will will Georgia by 4400 votes.