Mr. Tuberville goads to Washington

Ricky's one-hitter

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

All politicians are the same the way that a mass shooter and a guy with a joint are “both criminals.”

Answer me this:

in Texas and many other states, if I go to a cop and say that guy over there has a gun and i think he’s about to shoot some people, AND I go to a cop and say that guy over there has a joint and I think he’s about to smoke it (or sell it), who is more likely to get arrested?  Who is more likely to have their item taken from them?

would the cops even approach the gunman if he’s not in a black trench coat and balaclava?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

slorch now rejects Trump (good job, buddy!) but votes for Ted Cruz, who has Trump's dick so far down his throat that he volunteered to be the lawyer arguing that stupid election lawsuit before the Supreme Court (understanding full well that there would be no oral arguments, but he knows his voters are fucking morons, so whatevs). Who is the example that Tubberville is following now. Who threw his kids under a bus to excuse his Cancun trip. Whose only principle is self-ambition.

All because Beto made a stupid comment about guns.

I've said this before, but Texas voters crack me up, and slorch is the quintessential example. For a Democrat to possibly win in Texas, he/she has to be a lifelong Texan, not come from money, be an outdoorsman/hunter, constantly remind people that they believe in the 2nd, and portray a perfect family life. 

For a Republican to win in Texas, a Canadian just has to throw on a cowboy hat and some boots, hold a fishing reel backwards, and say woke a lot.

Have we established slorch’s Beto hate is because of the guns comment?

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

slorch now rejects Trump (good job, buddy!) but votes for Ted Cruz, who has Trump's dick so far down his throat that he volunteered to be the lawyer arguing that stupid election lawsuit in Dec 2020 before the Supreme Court (understanding full well that there would be no oral arguments, but he knows his voters are fucking morons, so whatevs). Who is the example that Tubberville is following now. Who threw his kids under a bus to excuse his Cancun trip. Whose only principle is self-ambition.

All because Beto made a stupid comment about guns.

I've said this before, but Texas voters crack me up, and slorch is the quintessential example. For a Democrat to possibly win in Texas, he/she has to be a lifelong Texan, not come from money, be an outdoorsman/hunter, constantly remind people that they believe in the 2nd, never waffle even slightly on a single issue, and portray a perfect family life. 

For a Republican to win in Texas, a Canadian just has to throw on a cowboy hat and some boots, hold a fishing reel backwards, and say woke a lot.

You made that shit up all on your own eh?

I'll ask you this, and it's because I deviate from some of my alleged compatriots on some very serious issues, such as but not limited to public education and specific drug legalization; where do you deviate from the democratic platform?

You love you some fucking broad ass brush; but  how 'enlightened' are you?

It's rhetorical, so don't bother.  I get a kick out y'all and your jump to conclusions mat.

Oh yeah, Fuck Tommy Tuberville.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

You made that shit up all on your own eh?

I'll ask you this, and it's because I deviate from some of my alleged compatriots on some very serious issues, such as but not limited to public education and specific drug legalization; where do you deviate from the democratic platform?

You love you some fucking broad ass brush; but  how 'enlightened' are you?

It's rhetorical, so don't bother.  I get a kick out y'all and your jump to conclusions mat.

Oh yeah, Fuck Tommy Tuberville.

Yeah, man, I'm an Aggie who's been in a military family my entire life...what do you think the odds are that I was a practicing conservative in 2015? I've made most of your overly-simplistic, emotionally-based, naive, juvenile arguments at some point in my life to defend one GOP cause or another. Luckily, I grew up. I disagree with Democrats on a shit ton of policy issues. Just not the main ones that effect human life and call for a little decency. Any response to my earlier post about the issues that actually matter, or nah?

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Find me the principled conservative who openly rejects Trumpism, doesn't care about Hunter Biden or the Clinton family, isn't fighting for even less gun restrictions, doesn't want to ban books, thinks forcing women to carry unwanted pregnancies isn't sustainable, wants the LGTBQ community to have the same rights as you have, and acknowledges the very real threat of climate change. If they exist, they'd have my vote. But they've already been ostracized from the party because the GOP--and its voters--don't want principles right now. They want conspiracies and anger.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Three Armed Services Secretaries put out a little op-ed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/04/army-navy-air-force-secretaries-tuberville-military-hold/

Carlos Del Toro is secretary of the Navy. Frank Kendall is secretary of the Air Force. Christine Wormuth is secretary of the Army.

As the civilian leaders of the Navy, Air Force, Space Force and Army, we are proud to work alongside exceptional military leaders who are skilled, motivated and empowered to protect our national security.

These officers and the millions of service members they lead are the foundation of America’s enduring military advantage. Yet this foundation is being actively eroded by the actions of a single U.S. senator, Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), who is blocking the confirmation of our most senior military officers.

The senator asserts that this blanket and unprecedented “hold,” which he has maintained for more than six months, is about opposition to Defense Department policies that ensure service members and their families have access to reproductive health no matter where they are stationed.

After the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, this policy is critical and necessary to meet our obligations to the force. It is also fully within the law, as confirmed by the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel.

Senators have many legislative and oversight tools to show their opposition to a specific policy. They are free to introduce legislation, gather support for that legislation and pass it. But placing a blanket hold on all general and flag officer nominees, who as apolitical officials have traditionally been exempt from the hold process, is unfair to these military leaders and their families.

And it is putting our national security at risk.

Thus far, the hold has prevented the Defense Department from placing almost 300 of our most experienced and battle-tested leaders into critical posts around the world.

Three of our five military branches — the Army, Navy and Marine Corps — have no Senate-confirmed service chief in place. Instead, these jobs — and dozens of others across the force — are being performed by acting officials without the full range of legal authorities necessary to make the decisions that will sustain the United States’ military edge.

Across the services, many generals and admirals are being forced to perform two roles simultaneously. The strain of this double duty places a real and unfair burden on these officers, the organizations they lead and their families.

The blanket hold is also exacting a personal toll on those who least deserve it.

Each of us has seen the stress this hold is inflicting up and down the chain of command, whether in the halls of the Pentagon or at bases and outposts around the world.

We know officers who have incurred significant unforeseen expenses and are facing genuine financial stress because they have had to relocate their families or unexpectedly maintain two residences.

Military spouses who have worked to build careers of their own are unable to look for jobs because they don’t know when or if they will move. Children haven’t known where they will go to school, which is particularly hard given how frequently military children change schools already.

These military leaders are being forced to endure costly separations from their families — a painful experience they have come to know from nearly 20 years of deployments to places such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

All because of the actions of a single senator.

Any claim that holding up the promotions of top officers does not directly damage the military is wrong — plain and simple.

The leaders whose lives and careers are on hold include scores of combat veterans who have led our troops into deadly combat with valor and distinction in the decades since 9/11. These men and women each have decades of experience and are exactly who we want — and need — to be leading our military at such a critical period of time.

The impact of this hold does not stop at these officers or their family members.

With the promotions of our most senior leaders on hold, there is a domino effect upending the lives of our more junior officers, too.

Looking over the horizon, the prolonged uncertainty and political battles over these military nominations will have a corrosive effect on the force.

The generals and admirals who will be leading our forces a decade from now are colonels and captains today. They are watching this spectacle and might conclude that their service at the highest ranks of our military is no longer valued by members of Congress or, by extension, the American public.

Rather than continue making sacrifices to serve our nation, some might leave uniformed service for other opportunities, robbing the Defense Department of talent cultivated over decades that we now need most to maintain our superiority over our rivals and adversaries.

Throughout our careers in national security, we have deeply valued the bipartisan support shown for our service members and their families. But rather than seeking a resolution to this impasse in that spirit, Tuberville has suggested he is going to further escalate this confrontation by launching baseless political attacks against these men and women.

We believe that the vast majority of senators and of Americans across the political spectrum recognize the stakes of this moment and the dangers of politicizing our military leaders. It is time to lift this dangerous hold and confirm our senior military leaders.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Three Armed Services Secretaries put out a little op-ed.

...[Eleventy Billion Words]...

All that is nice and I guess they feel better now, but what would really fix this is for some Private Eyes to uncover some Joe Paterno style shit at one of Tommy's coaching jobs.

• Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Time to announce that the military is looking to close their Alabama bases.

Didn't they already lose the Space Defense HQ?   They decided to keep it in CO, right?

But by the time they figured out how to pull all the bases out, Tuberville would be dead.  Not that they can't begin to reduce staffing and projects there, I guess.

36 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Time to announce that the military is looking to close their Alabama bases.

they won’t and can’t do that. Fucking Bama has a shit ton of HQs such as missile defense, contracting, NASA, FBI, research etc in Redstone Arsenal. They also have all of the contractors who supper the army there as well. They aren’t going to build the infrastructure elsewhere to move it. Plus the contractors would prevent the move etc.

hell they build nasa there to hide all of the German scientists we snatched up in ww2, I am sure it brought the IQ of the state by 30 points.  It wasn’t the bama ppl who got us to the moon, that was the Germans…

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

they won’t and can’t do that. Fucking Bama has a shit ton of HQs such as missile defense, contracting, NASA, FBI, research etc in Redstone Arsenal. They also have all of the contractors who supper the army there as well. They aren’t going to build the infrastructure elsewhere to move it. Plus the contractors would prevent the move etc.

hell they build nasa there to hide all of the German scientists we snatched up in ww2, I am sure it brought the IQ of the state by 30 points.  It wasn’t the bama ppl who got us to the moon, that was the Germans…

contractors would move tomorrow to follow the work, that’s what they do 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

The senate needs to get over the time commitment and do these things one by one and circumvent Tuberville, or whatever the procedure is to go around his bullshit. I know it’s time convincing but they need to fucking get it done. 

WWLBJD?

Edited by Satchel
  • Hook 'Em 2

This is why Senate rules/traditions are all wrong for the 2010s:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/06/politics/tuberville-holds-what-matters/index.html

There’s nothing in the Constitution, US law or the Senate rulebook that spells out affirmatively why and how individual senator should have the power to gum things up.

The holds courtesy evolved in the 1950s, according to this informative 11-page reportfrom the Congressional Research Service, an offshoot of Senate rules, which allow individuals to insist on relatively large amounts of floor time to be used for anything, including relatively routine nominations. Normally, these noncontroversial nominations are dispensed with “unanimous consent,” meaning without the use of floor time.

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

They need to invite Tubs out to an aircraft carrier to a bunch of pomp and circumstance and then just push him over the side.

packaging-and-hardware-prototyping-tools

Followed by an immediate 21 gun salute directly into the part of the ocean where he splashed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Satchel said:

This is why Senate rules/traditions are all wrong for the 2010s:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/06/politics/tuberville-holds-what-matters/index.html

There’s nothing in the Constitution, US law or the Senate rulebook that spells out affirmatively why and how individual senator should have the power to gum things up.

The holds courtesy evolved in the 1950s, according to this informative 11-page reportfrom the Congressional Research Service, an offshoot of Senate rules, which allow individuals to insist on relatively large amounts of floor time to be used for anything, including relatively routine nominations. Normally, these noncontroversial nominations are dispensed with “unanimous consent,” meaning without the use of floor time.

This is what I was referencing. This is all happening to avoid. Suck it up and eat the floor time and nominate these fuckers. 

Some woke motherfuckers back in WWI and WWII

WWI:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/11/11/legendary-general-patton-hated-peace-so-much-he-wrote-poem-about-it.html

"I stood in the flag decked cheering crowd

Where all but I were gay

And gazing on their ecstasy

My heart shrank in dismay."

"Looking forward I could see

Life like a festering sewer

Full of the fecal Pacifists

Which peace makes us endure"

WWII

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/04/12/what-pattons-poems-tell-us-about-today/

Through the travail of ages,
Midst the pomp and toils of war,
Have I fought and strove and perished
Countless times upon a star.

As if through a glass, and darkly
The age-old strife I see—
Where I fought in many guises, many names—
but always me.

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some woke motherfuckers back in WWI and WWII

WWI:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/11/11/legendary-general-patton-hated-peace-so-much-he-wrote-poem-about-it.html

"I stood in the flag decked cheering crowd

Where all but I were gay

And gazing on their ecstasy

My heart shrank in dismay."

"Looking forward I could see

Life like a festering sewer

Full of the fecal Pacifists

Which peace makes us endure"

WWII

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/04/12/what-pattons-poems-tell-us-about-today/

Through the travail of ages,
Midst the pomp and toils of war,
Have I fought and strove and perished
Countless times upon a star.

As if through a glass, and darkly
The age-old strife I see—
Where I fought in many guises, many names—
but always me.

Also not to be forgotten:

In Flanders Fields
    In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow
         Between the crosses, row on row,
       That mark our place; and in the sky
       The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
       Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
                              In Flanders fields

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
       The torch; be yours to hold it high.
       If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
                                In Flanders fields.

~Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah. In Flanders Fields has been celebrated as some of the most poignant wartime literature in history for the better part of 100 years.

Not that I'd expect an ex-football coach who crawled out of the bathroom window of a Lubbock Chili's to know that.

Edited by Stilicho
  • Hook 'Em 1