Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Lanning is the one guy they can't money whip. He is a far better coach than Christobal, and I think Nike/Phil Knight would step up to keep him as they head into the B1G. Losing Lanning would look really bad. 

Elko is the most realistic good option and he would be a solid fit, but if a&m doesn't move quickly he could be gone. That could leave them in a desperate situation, which usually lends itself to some high comedy.

Does aggy do something stupid and break the bank for someone like Gundy? They sure as hell aren't pulling someone from a blue blood in the SEC or B1G. They could make a run at someone like DeBoer, but that is highly unlikely on a number of fronts. So then they work their way down to Traylor and others in that sphere, which may or may not work out taking that big of a jump. 

I think aggy is a better job than many of us care to recognize. Yes they’re cursed, but their facilities are top notch and they freely spend money on anything a HC could ever ask for.

I mean hell, LSU hired Kelly away from Notre Dame. I think the only coaches they couldn’t lure to aggyland are currently making $9 million+ at a blue blood program and Dabo. 

I think what could hang aggy is fit. It’s a really weird culture + the job requires quite a bit of glad handing with Clayton Williams and Rick Perry types. This should eliminate almost all yankees, and any coach from the West Coast. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

The more we talk about this the more it makes sense that their first “real” target should be Mike Gundy. They would be considered a step up in pay, conference, facilities, and quality of life over Oklahoma State.

According to A&M college station recruits itself so Gundy’s less than stellar recruiting record shouldn’t be a problem. Plus he has shown that he is a known “developer” of talent, which A&M needs. Plus he has had OK offenses over the years with solid OLs.

He would be a perfect fit and as a coach he is probably looking for a home for the tail end of his career and A&M is more than willing to pay above the going rate…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sure, but what's the winning value proposition? UW will match anything ATM puts out there. They just begged their way into the Big 10 and, in doing so, committed that they'd do what it takes in the new era to compete at the highest level. You're looking at this through a lens that has ATM higher in the national pecking order than UW and that's simply not even close. UW has been to the playoffs. They won a national title after WW2. They've got the entire west coast as fertile recruiting terrain. They're in Seattle. 

I'm only looking at it from lens that aggy would have to pay some way more than they are currently making. DeBorr is making less than half what a&m paying now. DeBoer gets a nice raise to stay at UW.

To your point though...I do think they will have to find another Jimbo - someone a school wants to unload or go after paying the next up and comer a crap ton of money.

They currently employ Jimbo, Petrino Addazio and Durkin. It's like the Island of Misfit Coaches.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

They can’t afford to fire Jimbo. Only move that makes sense is to made him AD and then bring in Briles to coach. And then they’ll keep the rest of the staff since Jimbo hand picked them. 

That would be an All-Star morality coaching lineup.

• Hook 'Em 1

Urban fits perfectly. He's a fucking asshole and his assholeishness would immediately make him a cult figure to them. And how expensive could he actually be at this point? The only other major school I could see them bidding against is if Florida decides to run it back

The issue he will probably run into and what will sink them is hiring assistants. He's been out of the game for awhile and burned a few bridges

Edited by cmontexas

I think aggy is a better job than many of us care to recognize. Yes they’re cursed, but their facilities are top notch and they freely spend money on anything a HC could ever ask for.
I mean hell, LSU hired Kelly away from Notre Dame. I think the only coaches they couldn’t lure to aggyland are currently making $9 million+ at a blue blood program and Dabo. 

I think what could hang aggy is fit. It’s a really weird culture + the job requires quite a bit of glad handing with Clayton Williams and Rick Perry types. This should eliminate almost all yankees, and any coach from the West Coast. 
Money can cure a lot of misgivings about culture fit. Of course willingness to embrace the cult and having it translate into a winning program are two different things.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Meh. It took a while for people to find out who he was.  Brian Kelly took care of that.  My read on him is that the dude is as football coach as football coach can get and will do it for the biggest check anywhere, NFL included.  He coached at something called Mechant Marine so he probably eats that Aggie shit up anyway.    The fact that he stayed for 4 full years is also some kind of badge of honor to those mucks. 

give credit to the right person, Dave Clawson. worked for the guy for 12 years at Fordman, Richmond, BG and Wake before spending exactly one season at ND.

image.png.a0ce994de8ef8dafbe94f5080339970d.png

16 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

They'll try to fire Jimbo for cause before considering paying that buyout.

I think this has been discussed before, but I believe Jimbo's entire contractual salary is fully guaranteed, with no "for cause" provision to escape the buyout.

Now, aggy might still conjure up a plausible termination for some sort of bad behavior, and use that as cover for hiding behind a sovereign immunity defense like Tech did with Mike Leach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I think this has been discussed before, but I believe Jimbo's entire contractual salary is fully guaranteed, with no "for cause" provision to escape the buyout.

Now, aggy might still conjure up a plausible termination for some sort of bad behavior, and use that as cover for hiding behind a sovereign immunity defense like Tech did with Mike Leach.  

Everything is negotiable and some candidates will have more leverage than others, but I’d be surprised if many of these mega contracts have a “for cause” provision going forward after watching what’s happening with Michigan State.

On 10/9/2023 at 2:06 AM, Hank_Hill said:

I witnessed Bryce Foster snap the ball and then fall over backwards literally untouched like one of those fainting goats. Legit laughed out loud. Someone find it and gif it please. 

I lack the photoshop license to really do this justice and splice in real fainting goats, but feel free to improve it. 

image.gif.a3b20f6b770fe1fabfb8cc1499768dd8.gif

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

It's also typical of those fucks that they think they learn core values in college ROTC or from their honor code. Their formalized honor code is like the SEC patch on their football uniforms. See, this thing here proves we're honorable! See this patch? It means we're really good at football.

Dumbasses

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The mythical aggy core values...

I bet that dipshit wishes the team was all white.

Pleasepleaseplease.gif

they are struggling to keep players while paying them and not requiring them attend class.  But sure, force them into a faux military with tons of homoerotic turditions and see if that helps.  

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Pleasepleaseplease.gif

they are struggling to keep players while paying them and not requiring them attend class.  But sure, force them into a faux military with tons of homoerotic turditions and see if that helps.  

I’ve thought this for awhile and what happens if they really do somehow fire Bilbo? I doubt any coach they bring in will allow the inmates to get away with anywhere near the shit they are doing right now. If that is the case the offseason attrition would be worse than we have seen so far.

There is almost no way the can him because it would set up a 2 or 3 year rebuild just as we enter the SEC. Nothing would be worse perception-wise for them to have us win the first several games against them. And the likelihood of that happening would dramatically increase if they can Bilbo. 

So with the built in excuse of the Weigman injury plus knowing canning him will guarantee them sucking worse when we join the SEC, should make 7-5 or better enough for them to talk themselves into keeping him another year or two( well that and the astronomic cost it would be to actually follow through on replacing him and the entire staff with someone competent).

14 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I’ve thought this for awhile and what happens if they really do somehow fire Bilbo? I doubt any coach they bring in will allow the inmates to get away with anywhere near the shit they are doing right now. If that is the case the offseason attrition would be worse than we have seen so far.

There is almost no way the can him because it would set up a 2 or 3 year rebuild just as we enter the SEC. Nothing would be worse perception-wise for them to have us win the first several games against them. And the likelihood of that happening would dramatically increase if they can Bilbo. 

So with the built in excuse of the Weigman injury plus knowing canning him will guarantee them sucking worse when we join the SEC, should make 7-5 or better enough for them to talk themselves into keeping him another year or two( well that and the astronomic cost it would be to actually follow through on replacing him and the entire staff with someone competent).

They don’t have the coin to fire him and bring in another competent staff. Guess they technically do, but they won’t unass that much money.  My biggest concern is if they luck into a Blake/Stoops transition.  They have talent.  A good coach could do something with that talent with a few more pieces (OL and secondary). Here’s to hoping most of that ‘22 class bolts for the league next year. 

17 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

DeBorr is making less than half what a&m paying now. DeBoer gets a nice raise to stay at UW.

16 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Is DeBoor a shapeshifter?

16 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Luicci will be able to convince them how brilliant the plan is finding a diamond on the rough, how it was a secret plan being worked on for a long time, executed to perfection.

Just go ahead with a De Beers, and you really may have a diamond in the rough.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They don’t have the coin to fire him and bring in another competent staff. Guess they technically do, but they won’t unass that much money.  My biggest concern is if they luck into a Blake/Stoops transition.  They have talent.  A good coach could do something with that talent with a few more pieces (OL and secondary). Here’s to hoping most of that ‘22 class bolts for the league next year. 

*Un-ass

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I honestly can't see anyone worth a damn taking that job at any price due to the constant shenanigans going on there.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:01 PM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

They'll try to fire Jimbo for cause before considering paying that buyout.

If they're smart the next huge bag is going to a lower level staffer in the AD.  One that is equipped with whatever it is that gets Jimbo going. And then she starts hitting on him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

If they're smart the next huge bag is going to a lower level staffer in the AD.  One that is equipped with whatever it is that gets Jimbo going. And then she starts hitting on him. 

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Can they fire him if all he does is watch?

Well, Petrino has  the experience in such matters. Jimbo can watch him.

• Haha 1