COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

26 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

image.thumb.png.32ed9d5676f0288148b75e06dc45fa09.png

Yet again, assholes in the name of "liberty and freedom!" violating one of the core principles of libertarianism -- your freedom to make your own choices ends at the point that your choices harm others.

Some anti-vax horse paste aficionado is taking up a hospital bed that Jack needs.  That's selfish, cruel, and evil.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Some anti-vax horse paste aficionado is taking up a hospital bed that Jack needs.  That's selfish, cruel, and evil.

That's because there is nobody with a set of balls that will stop treating non-vaccinated in the hospital.  Out patient all of them and just tell them to fight it at home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, JesusSweatDuck said:

Cross posting this, but a free antibody study ongoing through UT. They're studying vaccines and antibody levels. Testing locations all over.

I got the gimp J&J 5 moths ago but had a really strong reaction. I'll share my numbers when I get them

https://sph.uth.edu/projects/texascares/

I signed up over the weekend and had my first blood draw this morning- curious to see the numbers (allegedly in 2-3 days).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KaiserSoze said:

I signed up over the weekend and had my first blood draw this morning- curious to see the numbers (allegedly in 2-3 days).

I got mine this morning as well.  Had the 5G pfizer booster last Tuesday.  This will give me a good idea over the next two draws for how long the booster stage lasts.

Thanks KaiserSoze. I got the same gimp J&J so I signed up. My older sister and her husband were able to get their boosters, I think they took Pfizer shots. I haven't been told shit about when I can take one so at least I can get an antibody test. It didn't hurt at all nor did I have any side effects when I took it. That has xort of made me nervous.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yet again, assholes in the name of "liberty and freedom!" violating one of the core principles of libertarianism -- your freedom to make your own choices ends at the point that your choices harm others.

Just don’t admit them or kick em out when you can. A married couple I know who didn’t get the vaccine got kicked out of the hospital last week and sent home with a whole shitload of oxygen tanks and some written instructions on how to use them. They’ll probably be ok but I doubt that’s the optimal standard of care. 

Just keep reminding anti-vaccine people you know that if they are worried about "experimental" vaccines, they haven't seen anything if they get admitted to a hospital and start getting pumped full of experimental drugs to keep them alive - drugs that have seen far less testing than the vaccines.

Some of these people are acting like they are going to break the Warp 10 barrier  if they get vaccinated and evolve into another lifeforms.

My Voyager peeps know what I'm talking about.

threshold_lizards1.jpg

• Haha 1

Just so you know the idiots just don't reside in the U.S., a cousin from, and in, New Zealand just posted this shit...

sadly it’s proven the vaccinated people spread it to so there lies the problem
Vaccinated or not vaccinated it doesn’t matter as you all spread it
So it’s everyone’s right to chose whether they want a rushed drug in their system
Fuck that
Could be another agent orange or any of those drugs that they gave pregnant woman that caused birth defects
So many people now in so many countries are now asking questions
And so many no longer trust governments and politicians
Time will tell
No haters please from these comments
It’s mine and so many others choice
I’d rather deal with a virus that kills bugger all people percentage wise
Than a drug that’s been made in under a year

Edited by Deej

Dr. Fauci on All Things Considered for 11 minutes on meaning of Pfizer's full authorization, where moderna is, where kids are, etc.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030430529/dr-fauci-weighs-in-on-the-fdas-approval-of-the-pfizer-vaccine

Also, Germany's last beer brewing nun:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1026707774/a-pilgrimage-to-meet-germanys-last-beer-brewing-nun

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Dr. Fauci on All Things Considered for 11 minutes on meaning of Pfizer's full authorization, where moderna is, where kids are, etc.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030430529/dr-fauci-weighs-in-on-the-fdas-approval-of-the-pfizer-vaccine

Also, Germany's last beer brewing nun:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1026707774/a-pilgrimage-to-meet-germanys-last-beer-brewing-nun

Fauci says we are moving as quickly as possible with the pedi authorization, but this is simply not true. 

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Why do you say that?

They have delayed the trial with a "request" for additional sample size.  The sample size increase is not sufficient to definitively establish the risk profile for the events of concern. We won't have sufficient sample size to resolve the issue until there is broader roll out.  So we have delayed the read out of data to support an EUA for what is an inevitable outcome, authorization with real world data ultimately informing a definitive safety assessment. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just don’t admit them or kick em out when you can. A married couple I know who didn’t get the vaccine got kicked out of the hospital last week and sent home with a whole shitload of oxygen tanks and some written instructions on how to use them. They’ll probably be ok but I doubt that’s the optimal standard of care. 

Dunno about optimal, but sure seems overly generous. Why not let ‘em do the horse paste and prayer warrior route.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, JesusSweatDuck said:

My wife got moderna in April. She had 1290

On 8/21/2021 at 2:21 PM, fluff said:

End of March for Moderna for me and I was at 1154 on Thursday.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, Brisketexan said:

What’s a “good” number?

On 8/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, Homercles said:

Studies I read said anything over 350

Mine came back at 978. My 2nd shot (Moderna) was late January. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

“I’ve got to be honest, I don’t see the approval for kids 5 to 11 coming much before the end of 2021,” NIH Director Francis Collins said. The vaccine remains available to children 12 to 15 under an emergency use authorization, or EUA. The reason, Collins said, is a matter of data. “I know a lot of people are really anxious to see this move forward,” he said, especially as children return to classrooms for the new school year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/24/covid-delta-variant-live-updates/#link-CFOWGQO7HJCP3CM4SOLOEUTT2Q

This sucks.  They really need to speed up the process to get the younger school-age kids vaxed.  Anyone out there got a hook up with a doc that is willing to give my 11 and 7 year olds doses off-label?

• Hook 'Em 1

My two kids got their second shots over the weekend with virtually no issues (couple weeks late on the second because of their schedules.) The school they go to is over 60% in grades 7-12 with at least the first shot which is way higher than anyone expected. We are running at virtually no one out while the other local schools are averaging 15% of the population out a day with several districts shutting back down again. The numbers locally have been stupid high, but kids getting vaccinated and the school keeping most of the policies in place from last year have made a huge difference at least in our school.

For all the hand wringing on here about this being an "American problem" here's a little data on European doses per 100 people

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

Europe is 2 points older than us (percentage 65+) of which we have almost everyone in that age group vaccinated (I saw something like 91% for 65-75), and 2 points less kids (who can't be vaccinated) so that gives them an advantage on both ends of the age curve.  Even with that advantage for them you can see we (America) are at 110 doses per 100 people.  That puts us right in a tier with Sweden, Finland, Germany, Norway and Austria. I would argue that if we had their age demographics we would have almost the exact same dosage rates as those countries while being somewhat behind Italy, France, Netherlands, UK, Spain etc. 

Texas lags the national average.  We also have 26% of our population that's kids, only 1/4 of which are eligible to get vaxed- and that only under emergency authorization.  

So- this "selfishness" doesn't seem to me to be an American problem but rather one of a human nature.  

How that works into a scheme to convince more people to vax I don't know.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/24/covid-delta-variant-live-updates/#link-CFOWGQO7HJCP3CM4SOLOEUTT2Q

This sucks.  They really need to speed up the process to get the younger school-age kids vaxed.  Anyone out there got a hook up with a doc that is willing to give my 11 and 7 year olds doses off-label?

Your 11 year old is 12 if want them to be. Many have already done this. Just don’t go to a store or vax site that has their info on file. 

41 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

Moderna trail was bringing in kids this week and next for first jab/placebo.  No idea if there are slots still open.

Vaccine Last Shot  
Fluff Moderna March  1154
TexEx15 Moderna February 994
KaiserSoze Moderna January 978
JesusSweatDuck Wife Moderna April 1290
Babysdaddy Pfizer March 714
Liquor and Poker Pfizer February 587

Thought I would see if there are any trends here...Let me know if I missed anyone and I will add them.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

Am I the only one that thinks 95 days is a stupid long number for turnaround? Seems like they should be able to make the changes and start production within 30 days. 

Only one?  Probably not.  But I was amazed that they were saying 95 days. I have no idea what goes into that stuff but it seems incredible to me how well they've done with it to date, and 3 months from outbreak to booster seems pretty incredible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fluff said:
  Vaccine Last Shot  

Thought I would see if there are any trends here...Let me know if I missed anyone and I will add them.

Just to fuck up your chart.  My wife was 587, and I just got my results and I am 1393.  Both got Pfizer second shot early Feb. 

7 minutes ago, fluff said:
  Vaccine Last Shot  

Sorry, what trends are you trying to track?  FWIW, I was Moderna and 2nd shot 3/25.

43 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

When confirmed, they believe the turnaround on a new booster would be 95 days. 

Which re-raises my question.  There is an annual "variant" of the flu every year.  That is, the flu vaccine is different from one year to the next in terms of the exact virus it targets, but there's not a whole FDA approval process for each year's version.  So....how does that work, and could the COVID vaccine follow a similar path -- that is, it can be adjusted for new variants without having to do the whole long-term new approval process?

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Just to fuck up your chart.  My wife was 587, and I just got my results and I am 1393.  Both got Pfizer second shot early Feb. 

I wonder if a higher than average antibody count would hint at a successfully fought off exposure/infection that triggered the war machine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which re-raises my question.  There is an annual "variant" of the flu every year.  That is, the flu vaccine is different from one year to the next in terms of the exact virus it targets, but there's not a whole FDA approval process for each year's version.  So....how does that work, and could the COVID vaccine follow a similar path -- that is, it can be adjusted for new variants without having to do the whole long-term new approval process?

I believe that is the case.

32 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Am I the only one that thinks 95 days is a stupid long number for turnaround? Seems like they should be able to make the changes and start production within 30 days. 

what the fuck GIF

Most companies can't pay an invoice within thirty days. A 95 day timeline is incredible. 

Edited by StruggleBus
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, fluff said:
  Vaccine Last Shot  

From that chart, it could be inferred that Moderna is to Pfizer what OG Kush is to Ditch Weed.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sorry, what trends are you trying to track?  FWIW, I was Moderna and 2nd shot 3/25.

I have no idea.  Some of it might be self serving as I have a severe immunoglobulin deficiency, so I am sort of interested to see how my response to the vaccine has been compared to others that might not have an immunoglobulin deficiency...