Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90

Gil Bang

30 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

How can they do this?

I don't believe they can if she resigns and is out of the Senate.  What they can do is block a swap of membership on the judiciary committee if she is still in the Senate. Resign and the Dems could regain control; stay and it's basically deadlocked.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

someone remind me why her team is holding on here and doesn't want newsome to appoint her replacement ?

Clearly from the photos and video that we've all seen, Feinstein is not making any decisions herself.  Which means her staff has the power of a US Senator.  I would assume they don't want to give up that power.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I don't believe they can if she resigns and is out of the Senate.  What they can do is block a swap of membership on the judiciary committee if she is still in the Senate. Resign and the Dems could regain control; stay and it's basically deadlocked.

Like I said, I can't find a great article that explains it, but my basic understanding is that committee members are approved by unanimous consent of both parties more out of tradition and precedence than any actual rule. As we all know, the modern GOP wipes its ass with tradition and precedence. It will be Merrick Garland all over again. They will deadlock Judiciary for the rest of Biden's term and "let the voters decide in 2024".

9 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

This is my understanding as well. If she resigns, Schumer can name someone else to the committee.

I assume that some don’t want her to retire as that gives newsom tremendous power to name the temp replacement and maybe the next CA senator for the a quarter century, if not longer.  If you’re a CA politician who aspires to be senator, you don’t want newsom to place a 40-50 year old in that spot. If you are that politician, your dream is crushed. Schiff and Porter don’t want Newsom to choose someone.

newson could announce or privately state that he’s naming someone who promises to not run in 2024 but why would he do that. He names someone who wants to stay as senator and that person will owe him forever, and their supporters will also love Newsom. 

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm pretty sure Newsome has zero desire to name a replacement either. But I don't think anyone sees how she makes it another year and a half. 

They need to just pull the fucking bandaid off. 

I think he would relish being a kingmaker

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm pretty sure Newsome has zero desire to name a replacement either. But I don't think anyone sees how she makes it another year and a half. 

They need to just pull the fucking bandaid off. 

If he has to name a replacement, he would piss off some people who he doesn’t choose. Many political implications involved with naming a senate replacement.

I assume that most of the players involved in this just want her to stay healthy enough that she can be wheeled into the senate and told how to vote until next Dec. if she’s starting to fall, they will find someone to sit next to her 24 hours to ensure she doesn’t fall.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I think he would relish being a kingmaker

I don't think he relishes being kingmaker if doing so either a) comes with signifigant backlash if he doesn't go through with selecting an African American woman as he's promised or b) crushing the chances of very popular and capable candidates in Schiff and Porter. What's his upside there, having the power? If I were him, I'd absolutely be rolling with LetThemFIght.Godzilla.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If he has to name a replacement, he would piss off some people who he doesn’t choose. Many political implications involved with naming a senate replacement.

I assume that most of the players involved in this just want her to stay healthy enough that she can be wheeled into the senate and told how to vote until next Dec. if she’s starting to fall, they will find someone to sit next to her 24 hours to ensure she doesn’t fall.

Yup. Sadly. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Newsom does not want this power. He’d prefer the voters choose someone. 

He doesn't want this power because it could potentially hurt him politically in the future.

His political future would seem to be running for president at some point.

If he is too afraid of the political backlash and is willing to let the country suffer as a result, in my opinion he isn't fit for the office.

Although it doesn't really matter because the people controlling the body of the late senator Feinstein are unwilling to relinquish their roles and let her retire.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

He doesn't want this power because it could potentially hurt him politically in the future.

His political future would seem to be running for president at some point.

If he is too afraid of the political backlash and is willing to let the country suffer as a result, in my opinion he isn't fit for the office.

Although it doesn't really matter because the people controlling the body of the late senator Feinstein are unwilling to relinquish their roles and let her retire.

Well yeah.  He made his first bad move when he promised to pick a black woman.  He can't go against that if the decision comes across his desk. 

Primary for Senate is March 2024.  It is a good time for DiFi to step down, politically and personally for, Newsom. If it ends up D versus R, he could name the D nominee as an interim without hurting feelings.  Consider it "getting a head start" on being the next Dem senator from California.  The headache comes if it is a D versus D race.  He'd be putting his finger on the scale on the race by picking one. 

Edited by Js1

DiFi?  Seriously? Please tell me you either stole that from some Mother Jones blog or you're currently on peyote.  

Anyways, Newsom doesn't need my advice but this is a no-win.  Her situation is hurting the federal judiciary and the Senate.  It's not doing much to damage his state at least, so there's that.  If I'm him, let her family and staff run her legacy into the fucking ground which they've about 80% done already with no help from the GOP.  Stay out of it so as not to burn any bridges when he seeks higher office in 2028.  He's 55, but an energetic 55 (albeit eskimo bros with DJTJ).  I think the Democratic Party can gets its shit together for 2024, but beyond that---they'll reboot their ability to fuck up recipes like PB&J or Coffee with Cream & Sugar.  So Newsom doesn't need any baggage from old-school West Coast libs with 'DiFi' grudges.  How she still has this many fans/supporters is fucking beyond me.  I'd respect, donate, and vote for him in 2028 if he does the right move here.  But I'm not who he needs to convince/convert.  Good news?  He's got time.  Bad news?  Diane doesn't.  She's got less borrowed time than a used swatch watch I left in her rusted out vagina in the 80's.  

Yeah, i meant it jokingly after all these years of making fun of a number of other politicians we all share a mutual disdain for.  Didn't mean to get JS1 all pissy about it.  

Plus, "DiAlready" or "DiFinally" or "DiFinished my pudding, nurse."  I mean, they're all just right there!  But she's old and a Democrat so no more jokes.  I get it.  It's not my daily crusade to make a small wisecrack.  My daily crusade is the UT pride parade at the Capitol later this month.  We're gonna entrap a few dozen far-right folks to come out to protest.  And I'm gonna have them expelled.  For the very simple reason, because I can.  

For decades, I've read arguments one way or the other about term limits.  And it's relatively bi-partisan.  And it comes down to "Well, the framers didn't anticipate people living to be 90 years old."  Then we got wise and did some actuarial research that if you made it to their benchmark dates of 30 or 35, you had a pretty damn good chance of living to 80 or 85.  Then after that, we also implanted some wisdom and realized, but yeah---if you made it 90 in those days...you were sturdy as fuck and were of sound mind and body otherwise you wouldn't be such a fantastical outlier.  So we got people like Feinstein and McConnell, who only made it because they're propped up, not by hearty DNA and robust brains...but they're just propped up by enabling staffers, tons and tons of meds, and all the 4:30p Jell-O they can swallow before bedtime.  

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

In my limited experience, being hospitalized after a "fall" isn't a great harbinger for things to come. 

Yep.  Wife's 95 year old grandma (also with dementia) fell and broke her hip.  She was gone within a month, and it was not a pretty month.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  Wife's 95 year old grandma (also with dementia) fell and broke her hip.  She was gone within a month, and it was not a pretty month.

My wife's grandmother is on this track.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I think her overall body of work will speak for itself.  It'll take some time to unpack given her last couple of years, her family/staff's performative sinister bullshit and this shutdown, etc. will overshadow it for awhile.  But yes, her legacy is in tact and will be analyzed and lifted in due course.  Longest serving female senator in U.S. history who certainly did quite a bit of good while in office.  She'll shine on for decades to come...

• Gil Bang changed the title to Sen. Feinstein dies at age 90
2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Gavin needs to say some kind words and immediately appoint her successor.   We don't have time to fuck around.; 

Has to make an appointment that is caretaker and doesn’t want to run in the already loaded primary. Maybe Shirley Weber (75) would like to cap off her career with 15 months as a US Senator

Just now, Macanudo said:

Katie Porter!  Katie Porter!  Katie Porter!

He isn’t going to put his thumb on the scale of the primary by doing that.  Better to appoint someone who isn’t going to run in 2024

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Gavin needs to say some kind words and immediately appoint her successor.   We don't have time to fuck around.; 

Este. Those running footsteps you hear is Manchin inserting himself into shutdown negotiations even as I type.

This is gonna fuck up judiciary committee work for sure.

I was negotiating with her office on something earlier this week. Furk.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Newsome hopefully does better with this pick than with Harris’ replacement.  Regardless of Feinsteins decline, and it was precipitous, she was a pretty powerful voice for California.  Going from two leading senators to two lightweights would not be ideal.

What was wrong with Padilla? 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

If Gavin has not had her replacement selected for the last several months then he is incredibly incompetent, and for all of his faults, I don't think that is one. Maybe replacement isn't announced today out of respect but I would be really surprised if not announced by Monday. This event isn't exactly a shocker.

• Hook 'Em 3