A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They do see him for who he is.

They do care.

PROBLEM:  THEY LIKE IT.

When you realize that American "conservatives" don't look past Trump's fascist authoritarian dreams, but rather they SHARE them.....then you'll understand why we're so utterly fucked.

This is scary true. In one short year, it seems cons have gone from ignoring the sedition that occurred on 1/6/, to downplaying the attendant violence, to finally embracing and promoting it.

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

to finally embracing and promoting it.

This is always where it was going.  There was never any alternative destination.

It was a violent act of treasonous sedition.  And they like it and want to do it again.

The ultimate referendum on Trumpism won't have anything to do with a ballot box.  It will have everything to do with blood, because that's how they've decided the referendum will be held.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is always where it was going.  There was never any alternative destination.

It was a violent act of treasonous sedition.  And they like it and want to do it again.

The ultimate referendum on Trumpism won't have anything to do with a ballot box.  It will have everything to do with blood, because that's how they've decided the referendum will be held.

Prior to Trump’s election, most here would have interpreted your take to be wildly hyperbolic. Sadly, it is not.

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And when 1/6 didn’t work they started to suez into oblivion to try and sway public opinion their way. 

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

100% they need to remake this movie

The cast would probably suck shit though.

You'd have Jake Paul, Ariana Grande, Melissa McCarthy, and a bunch of others.

Sure, you'd probably get Bradley Cooper, teamed up with Patton Oswalt or Kevin Hart, but the rest of the cast/pairings would suck shit.

the beauty of Cannonball Run is the secondary characters.  It was a brilliant ensemble cast that played wonderfully off one another for such limited scenes together.  

Plus, it would insist upon itself with an electric car winning the race despite having to charge for long periods of time.  Maybe Musk rigs one of his own cars with super-secret technology that just allows it to go 120mph for a full day with no recharge.  No women using their chests to get out of speeding tickets, no insensitive Sheik or Asian stereotypes, etc.  They'd suck all the fun out of it.  

Damn what a fun movie that was.  And inspired legions of real racers to complete the run.  Sub-26 hour team just did it during Covid.

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

the beauty of Cannonball Run is the secondary characters.  It was a brilliant ensemble cast that played wonderfully off one another for such limited scenes together.  

Plus, it would insist upon itself with an electric car winning the race despite having to charge for long periods of time.  Maybe Musk rigs one of his own cars with super-secret technology that just allows it to go 120mph for a full day with no recharge.  No women using their chests to get out of speeding tickets, no insensitive Sheik or Asian stereotypes, etc.  They'd suck all the fun out of it.  

Damn what a fun movie that was.  And inspired legions of real racers to complete the run.  Sub-26 hour team just did it during Covid.

The cast was a who's who of 70s pop culture.  I haven't seen it in a couple of decades...need to remedy that. 

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

that's right, I had forgotten Jamie Farr was the Sheik guy. Didn't he drive a Rolls Ghost, or whatever it was called?

Remember Montalbahn as his father?  And the two broads in the skin tight racing suits.  One of my first "I think I like lady's fannies" moments as a boy.  

Our generation likes to say, "Ah man, you couldn't make that movie these days with all the political correctness."  On the face of it, that movie seems easy to remake.  "Fast and the Furious meets Judd Apatow."  Nope, the movie is just straight stereotype after stereotype down to the Karate Asians that drive shitty as a decoy.  The original stands the test of time, IMO. Though, if I'm honest...I wouldn't mind entertaining the idea of a reboot but it would have tread so fucking lightly.  But I think there's a funny needle somewhere there that could be threaded properly. 

16 hours ago, Lobo said:

The movie was actually inspired by the race. The J.J. character was named after the little brother of one of my best friends. Their family was close to Brock Yates who started the race in 1971. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I used to know that but now I'm old and my cinematic trivia is waning.  That's cool you know some of them.  I bet there's some fantastic stories from back in the day.  

Some friends and I got hooked on road trip "endurance" trips in the 90's.  Not about speed (we were traveling in some rather humble vehicles)...but just about how much ground we could cover in a given period (and still stop to see some cool shit).  In high school, we found some National Geographic article about the most dangerous highway in America---between Phoenix and Vegas)...so we set out from Chicago on Spring Break to cover every mile of it.  Ended up seeing a great portion of the Rockies/Western U.S. parks, etc and underage drinking in Nevada.  Some time later, with another friend while living in Florida...we drove every mile of IH-10 from Jacksonville to Santa Monica.  And on my own, over a few days, I covered every single mile of IH-35 from Laredo to Duluth seeing friends and family along the way.   We set out to cover other interstates in their entirety as an excuse to see more of the country.  We tried to find time to do the granddaddy of them all, IH-80 from Elliot Bay in Seattle to the Atlantic terminus in Boston, going through just a few miles from where all grew up near Chicago.  But we got old and got jobs.  But these speed/endurance stories always intrigue me, especially when Dean Martin is involved.  

then a few years ago, my high school friend sends me this "trip log" that apparently we kept 25+ years ago on a road trip out West.  And with it some links to these guys that are still Cannonball racing today.  And I've been following their stories online for a few years.  The Coast-to-Coast race where you just gotta get from one ocean to the other as fast as possible (basically just screaming down IH-10 with a few exceptions, because that's where the nation is the narrowest).  And then the myriad Cannonball teams that still race annually (though they do is separately on different days).  And the guys that went sub-26 hours during Covid.  

The speed is fascinating, how they prep the cars, etc.  But the logistics of it all are such a fun rabbit hole from the route, to weather, to avoiding police, to organizing/routing spotters, to time of day to run, etc.  And then the endurance part.  Basically nobody on the team really sleeps for 30 hours which isn't that hard to do normally, but it's gotta be hard as shit when you're blazing at 130mph with your heart in your throat.  How they account for fuel and pissing and everything, it's really a fascinating subculture.  Dangerous, but in a weird way...incredibly well thought-out.  Again, much more fun if Dean Martin and Farah Fawcett are involved.  

When I retire, I'm going to organize the Rochelle, Rochelle 2000.  A 2,000km race from Milan to Minsk.  Eroticism?  Optional.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

When I retire, I'm going to organize the Rochelle, Rochelle 2000.  A 2,000km race from Milan to Minsk.  Eroticism?  Optional.  

I will get derailed at the first pit stop, heavy on the eroticism.  And I will be fine with my "did not finish" score....because that will just be my score in the race.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Didn't see this mentioned, but the dotard is having a motherfucking press conference in two days, the anniversary of 1/6.  I'm sure he won't say anything like what he said a year ago.  Surely not.

He will praise the attackers as heroes and martyrs, and issue a new call to action.

Because....and this is very, very important for all of you to understand.....he is LITERALLY a terrorist.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Didn't see this mentioned, but the dotard is having a motherfucking press conference in two days, the anniversary of 1/6.  I'm sure he won't say anything like what he said a year ago.  Surely not.

This is a speech I might actually want to see.

I will get derailed at the first pit stop, heavy on the eroticism.  And I will be fine with my "did not finish" score....because that will just be my score in the race.

I had a friend who trained for a marathon in New Orleans. He spent months getting himself together physically. The day of the race he went into a bat for a pre race Bloody Mary - and spent all day there just drinking and eating oysters, charming the locals, etc.

Wait a minute….Greg?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement