A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

10 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

After losing the White House and Congress, splitting off enough votes to make a D Florida’s governor has to hurt Rs nationally in ‘24. 

He didn’t lose the White House and Congress.  Like Fastbreak said, stolen election and he wasn’t on the ballot in 2018.

If he runs and doesn’t get the nomination, he will absolutely burn down the GOP.

But that’s if he runs and doesn’t get the nomination.

Not Happening No Way GIF

17 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Then somehow it was turned into the left's fault that the statement was made and yadda yadda. You could see the flip coming and I was just waiting for the segue. I can see how if that's all the info you swallowed all day long how you would have an answer for everything to turn reality on its ear.

You succinctly describe the formula. Now multiply by 42 years. It's how you create a hate engine.

In my old truck (god, I loved that Toyota 4x4), FM went out on my radio. I was poor, so I listened to AM for years. I'd listen to Rush Limbaugh do that everytime I listened. The first time I caught it, he went down this road.

Somebody spiked trees to break lumberjack chainsaw. It's very dangerous, terrorism in fact.* > They're environmental wackos > They represent all tree huggers > Dems (liberal conspiracy) support environmentalist terrorists who want to kill lumberjacks > Dems support terrorism as part of their plan to destoy individuality, Amercanism, and you, you good person! 

Over and over and over. I didn't realize he was creating a cult until I read about the Ditto Heads and started hearing Limbaugh come up regularly in conversations; always spoken about as though we surely all agree. 

*I agree it's akin to terrorism although the intent was not to harm lumberjacks, just stop them. I'm not sure how I would stand if the culprits had warned the logging companies ahead of time. Certainly still criminal.

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think they compartmentalize it.  THEIR grandchildren will surely be fine.  They don't care about the rest.  It's just another exercise of selfishness.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Amen to this.  I’ve asked boomers why they don’t seem to care about their children/grandchildren, and they act like things will be fine.

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

no one gave a big helping hand growing up !

I grew up dirt poor !

unions are horrible !

I think y'all are right with one criticism. It's not just boomers tooling around in big automobiles pretending everything is just fine. You'll also find boomers who have had a keen interest in the environment for decades. They (all environmentalists) have been ridiculed for decades and marginalized as silly.

The destruction of the carbon balance starts with the so-called Greatest Generation and the boom after WWII. Boomers led the charge to make rivers like the Hudson safe for fish again. Smog has been greatly diminished. Other good citizens joined and carried on that charge. People of all ages in the movement had a majority of whatever generation they were in standing around indifferent or scornful.

American materialism fueled by advertising is the culprit in general.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He didn’t lose the White House and Congress.  Like Fastbreak said, stolen election and he wasn’t on the ballot in 2018.

If he runs and doesn’t get the nomination, he will absolutely burn down the GOP.

But that’s if he runs and doesn’t get the nomination.

Not Happening No Way GIF

the fuck is that gif

50 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I think y'all are right with one criticism. It's not just boomers tooling around in big automobiles pretending everything is just fine. You'll also find boomers who have had a keen interest in the environment for decades. They (all environmentalists) have been ridiculed for decades and marginalized as silly.

The destruction of the carbon balance starts with the so-called Greatest Generation and the boom after WWII. Boomers led the charge to make rivers like the Hudson safe for fish again. Smog has been greatly diminished. Other good citizens joined and carried on that charge. People of all ages in the movement had a majority of whatever generation they were in standing around indifferent or scornful.

American materialism fueled by advertising is the culprit in general.

I get it, you're a Boomer and want to put an asterisk next to the footnote. We're lucky to have people like you as fellow Americans. But, overall, Boomers go down as the worst generation, and it's not even close. I know it must feel odd (as Boomers venerate the "Greatest Generation") for those that come after you to label you as putrid, selfish has-beens.

As a Gen X'er, it's been eye-opening to see Boomers pat themselves on the back and criticize millennials with zero self-awareness. And my generation has been way more prone to conspiracy theory and anti-democratic ideas than I'd like. Luckily, we're just a blip on the population scale.

Times change. Generations pass. But we need to raise the Estate Tax like yesterday and lower the unified credit to tax most of this wealth and spend it trying to un-fuck things.

Edited by Yuk
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Yuk said:

I get it, you're a Boomer and want to put an asterisk next to the footnote. We're lucky to have people like you as fellow Americans. But, overall, Boomers go down as the worst generation, and it's not even close. I know it must feel odd (as Boomers venerate the "Greatest Generation") for those that come after you to label you as putrid, selfish has-beens.

As a Gen X'er, it's been eye-opening to see Boomers pat themselves on the back and criticize millennials with zero self-awareness. And my generation has been way more prone to conspiracy theory and anti-democratic ideas than I'd like. Luckily, we're just a blip on the population scale.

Times change. Generations pass. But we need to raise the Estate Tax like yesterday and lower the unified credit to tax most of this wealth and spend it trying to un-fuck things.

Boomers didn’t live up to the legacy of their parents. They just need to move on in all respects. GenX has been totally screwed over by the boomers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Yuk said:

Fuck your condescending ass. I don't need an explanation of the world so narrow and unfounded.

I think generational generalizations are largely facile and embraced by the unsubtle. I don't have any identity tied up with the Baby Boomer generation. I actually don't know anyone who takes pride in their own generation; I just see people bent on condemning other ones or over-venerating some bygone days and people. 

There's plenty to dislike about any group of people defined merely by the boundaries of the time they were born. It's like condemning a whole state or political wing. It's simplistic when boomers do it, and it's simplistic when you do.

I totally agree with your last paragraph. My dad would have as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Fuck your condescending ass. I don't need an explanation of the world so narrow and unfounded.
I think generational generalizations are largely facile and embraced by the unsubtle. I don't have any identity tied up with the Baby Boomer generation. I actually don't know anyone who takes pride in their own generation; I just see people bent on condemning other ones or over-venerating some bygone days and people. 
There's plenty to dislike about any group of people defined merely by the boundaries of the time they were born. It's like condemning a whole state or political wing. It's simplistic when boomers do it, and it's simplistic when you do.
Oh well, whatever, nevermind. -GenX

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Well, being early GenX, and being adopted by parents in their 40s, I was raised by Greatest Generation folks.  And, I find that to be somewhat overhyped, as well.

They certainly rose to the occasion, but past enlisting in droves to meet an existential threat, which I think might even happen today, their "heroism" was actually pretty standard stuff.  Which isn't to diminish the individual contributions of the Dick Winters of the world, but they are still all around us, teaching school in PA, and quietly practicing law and accounting and what have you.

And, the post-war boom was the product of the serendipity of being geographically isolated from the war and the "last man standing" and intact.  They can't really take credit for that.  And, as has been relentlessly pointed out, as nice as that boom was for white middle-class types, it wasn't so great for everyone, particularly of the brown persuasion.  I'm not condemning them for that, but had they been truly great, they would have made more progress along those lines.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Sure. I mean there are actually rationale aggies I have met (very few) but when talking about and dealing with large scale things that actually have effect on any significant scale you do tend to have to do a little grouping….whether you or anybody else likes it.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

You'd think this has to be a joke but then someone would have to think of something so inane but take the time to create the evidence, as well.

HOW THE FUCK ARE WE ON THE VERGE OF THE COLLAPSE OF DEMOCRACY BECAUSE OF THE DUMBEST PEOPLE IN EXISTENCE??!??  HOW????????

• Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I really don't like what has happened to this state where friendliness was once the standard.

Pretty soon, pulling to the shoulder to let someone pass will be considered beta-cuck behavior. And attempting to pass someone will warrant getting shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I and the beloved went to the hill country today, out to Fredericksburg and back. Saw the usual signage. Trump campaign sign. Trump Promises Kept painted on a rusty box truck. The Democrats are Destroying our country. 

Drove up with some friends to Hell or High Water Brewing in Liberty Hill (they've got an OK hefe and a pretty tasty hazy IPA, the rest is meh to WTF). Posted on the fence alongside a ranch gate a few miles from town was a huge Trump...He Won Ya'll (SIP) sign.

14 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Oh well, whatever, nevermind. -GenX

Actually, Okay boomer would have made me laugh my ass off.  That's usually applied rather aptly in the way that Surly Bevo above alludes to.

In a train station in New York, I was hurried at a coffee/pastry stand and put my credit card into the machine upside down. I stared for a moment in bewilderment. The nice young woman pointed out the problem. I flipped it, put it in, and looked at her to say, "Okay boomer." "I wasn't going to say it!" We laughed.

I'm not going hurl up a defense of people my age. I think Twice Horn nails it up above. After WWII, the US held half the world market and untold wealth flowed here. Humans have done what humans do. I

have more than once written on here that I will have lived in the best time in history for an average (white male) citizen to be alive. I'm too young to have been sent to Viet Nam or even drafted into the service. I've also written that people of mature age alive in the period from the mid 1970s up to the moment when the environmental bill comes due will be be hated by generations to come. And with good reason.

Greta Thunberg should piss on our collective graves. We got rich after WWII and insisted on living it up until the lights went out. Our culture encourages it. 

We have jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need.

spacer.png

Sorry if I butchered the quote. 

3 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Pretty soon, pulling to the shoulder to let someone pass will be considered beta-cuck behavior. And attempting to pass someone will warrant getting shot. 

Amen. Best example of my point. Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 2

I and the beloved went to the hill country today, out to Fredericksburg and back. Saw the usual signage. Trump campaign sign. Trump Promises Kept painted on a rusty box truck. The Democrats are Destroying our country. 
There was a pretty good outlaw country band playing at the Fredericksburg Market Days. One member had a Let's Go Brandon t-shirt. No tip from me. Leaving the little pavilion where the show was, I came face to face with an old guy (likely a more aged boomer than myself). We were in each other's way. I said excuse me while he just scowled as we moved shoulders and passed. Red MAGA hat.
I really don't like what has happened to this state where friendliness was once the standard. There was a great guy manning the burger booth. Old school smile and appreciation for the purchase. Some other nice people, too. It feels like that type is fading away. 
Trump has exposed what was built for decades by the hateful right. You now see individuals proudly displaying this awful legacy in the open. They're not just ditto head cultists on the radio. 
We've thought of retiring to the Hill Country. We still may, but I don't like the prospect of choosing between silence and confrontation with my neighbors over something so basic as what makes our republic a republic. 
None of this is new. It's just sickening to see disease spread.
I had a friend that moved to Harper, they moved back real quick
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement