A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

37 minutes ago, Tuco said:

So how long before the GOP goes the Reagan route with Trump? “Oh, he was the best president ever, but he is obviously suffering from some age related deterioration. Let’s keep his movement alive, but bury him as fucking deep as we possibly can.”

Nah his kids won’t allow that plus he will be talking crazy until he croaks, plus with social media, hard to do and he loves the attention 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Aww thanks fellas (and ladies)!

I’m having a absolute blast! I was a little nervous about traveling alone for the first time, but I am - as the kids say - living my best life.

I’m so glad I treated myself for my 50th birthday!

And I’ve got two more Harry shows and “Hamilton” and “SIX” this weekend!

12413ed0e0fdd49663e32f2f6c4f7706.jpg
ac7c542b99d72337c74709b7ea8a644c.jpg
85332708ddd03d97371c66ce162ead7d.jpg

emoji445.png”Passports in footwells.
Kiss her and don’t tell.
Wine glass, puff pass, tea with cyborgs.
Riot America.
Science and edibles.
Life hacks going viral in the bathroom.
Cocaine, side boob, choke her with a sea view.
Tooth ache, bad move, just act normal.
Mocha pot Monday, it’s all good, hey you.
Should we just keep driving. emoji445.png

Go get yours Bama.

Wait- there’s side boob?

Aww thanks fellas (and ladies)!

I’m having a absolute blast! I was a little nervous about traveling alone for the first time, but I am - as the kids say - living my best life.

I’m so glad I treated myself for my 50th birthday!

And I’ve got two more Harry shows and “Hamilton” and “SIX” this weekend!

12413ed0e0fdd49663e32f2f6c4f7706.jpg
ac7c542b99d72337c74709b7ea8a644c.jpg
85332708ddd03d97371c66ce162ead7d.jpg

”Passports in footwells.
Kiss her and don’t tell.
Wine glass, puff pass, tea with cyborgs.
Riot America.
Science and edibles.
Life hacks going viral in the bathroom.
Cocaine, side boob, choke her with a sea view.
Tooth ache, bad move, just act normal.
Mocha pot Monday, it’s all good, hey you.
Should we just keep driving.
Have fun in NYC. My favorite thing to do up there is rent a bike or even just grab a Citi Ebike and just cruise all around, especially around Central Park And over into the other Burroughs. For better or worse it's a super safe area now, and not like back in the day, so go explore and feel free.

5 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
9 minutes ago, mackavelli said:
Empty folders might be problematic... 

Congratulations! You've won this year's "Understatement of the Year" Award.

Probably just packed up some surplus envelopes and folders by mistake. That’s how moves go. See, no harm done except to his civil liberties by the fbi!

So, I have kind of digested what reporting there is of the hearing.
We should know by now that predicting the outcome of a hearing on what questions the judge(s) asks can be pretty hazardous.
It seems that the thinking that the judge is going to go along with the special master is based on her questions, three in particular:
What is the harm to the government if a special master is appointed?
Does allowing intelligence review of documents alleviate or mitigate that harm? and
Isn't it at least theoretically possible for a former President to successfully assert privilege over the waiver of the incumbent President?
Those are actually pretty reasonable questions and ones you would expect from any appellate panel.
Some of the reportage of the questions couches them in terms of "I'm inclined to do" this or that, but I don't trust that reporting, because legal reporting is uniformly shitty.
That she didn't rule from the bench and hasn't ruled today is probably a pretty good sign that she's contemplating the answers to those and other questions.  One of which is probably does granting this relief in any way increase public confidence in the justice system.  Something that was clearly on Reinhart's mind in unsealing the affidavit and other warrant materials, because neither Trump nor the public at large were entitled to any of that as a matter of law.
Even if she does grant the motion for special master, no less than Neal Katyal calls that a nothingburger:  https://www.npr.org/transcripts/1119862821

Pretty detailed play-by-play right here

https://www.lawfareblog.com/mar-lago-showdown-federal-court
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Pretty detailed play-by-play right here

https://www.lawfareblog.com/mar-lago-showdown-federal-court

Excellent.  Thanks.  I forgot to look there as a credible source.

That seems to debunk the notion that wifi was off, or was ordered to be off by the court.  SD Fl has a local rule that only text functions are permissible and reporters must register with the court in order to bring "devices" into the courtroom.

And, I didn't see anything in that reportage where the judge displayed further "inclination."  She may well be "inclined," but that's not what she said.

Also, I think just as a general matter, any judge is going to see simple "delay" as a not-very-convincing rationale for doing or not doing anything, unless the delay is substantial.  The national security review being an exception apparently acknowledged by the judge.

Also, it appears that much of Trump's argument was fairly disingenuous and I think the judge saw right through that.  The library book thing was risible.

Edited by TwiceHorn

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dumb question but just making sure- these empty folders/envelopes with markings also have some unique identifier so we should be able to know what is supposed to be inside each folder, right?  

Usually no. The cover sheets are generic by design. We had a stack of them next to our secret stamp in our SCIF so if you printed something you had a cover sheet ready to go. 

One thing I would caution, this inventory doesn’t seem to differentiate between classified cover sheets/folders and documents with classified markings anywhere beyond the empty folders. It’s possible that some of the classified documents from those folders were uncovered.  Im sure the IC did a count on number of cover sheets/folders and number of individual artifacts presented to figure out if something is unaccounted for. 

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I have kind of digested what reporting there is of the hearing.

We should know by now that predicting the outcome of a hearing on what questions the judge(s) asks can be pretty hazardous.

It seems that the thinking that the judge is going to go along with the special master is based on her questions, three in particular:

What is the harm to the government if a special master is appointed?

Does allowing intelligence review of documents alleviate or mitigate that harm? and

Isn't it at least theoretically possible for a former President to successfully assert privilege over the waiver of the incumbent President?

Those are actually pretty reasonable questions and ones you would expect from any appellate panel.

Some of the reportage of the questions couches them in terms of "I'm inclined to do" this or that, but I don't trust that reporting, because legal reporting is uniformly shitty.

That she didn't rule from the bench and hasn't ruled today is probably a pretty good sign that she's contemplating the answers to those and other questions.  One of which is probably does granting this relief in any way increase public confidence in the justice system.  Something that was clearly on Reinhart's mind in unsealing the affidavit and other warrant materials, because neither Trump nor the public at large were entitled to any of that as a matter of law.

Even if she does grant the motion for special master, no less than Neal Katyal calls that a nothingburger:  https://www.npr.org/transcripts/1119862821

I'm not following the details too closely, but is this the Florida judge who received a filing that wasn't a complaint but something completely random looking? It looked pretty obvious at the time that the judge didn't have jurisdiction or could easily get rid of it by ordering that the matter be submitted to the court that issued the warrant. Or is this something else? A special master review isn't all that concerning to me unless it's some maga fuck who you know will just lie about the review.

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I'm not following the details too closely, but is this the Florida judge who received a filing that wasn't a complaint but something completely random looking? It looked pretty obvious at the time that the judge didn't have jurisdiction or that  easy ruling was to file in the court that issued the warrant. Or is this something else? A special master review isn't all that concerning to me unless it's some maga fuck who you know will just lie about the review.

So not a Republican...

4 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

One thing I would caution, this inventory doesn’t seem to differentiate between classified cover sheets/folders and documents with classified markings anywhere beyond the empty folders. It’s possible that some of the classified documents from those folders were uncovered.  Im sure the IC did a count on number of cover sheets/folders and number of individual artifacts presented to figure out if something is unaccounted for. 

Apparently this has already been covered somewhat. 

It will be difficult to nail down how many of those folders were tied to uncovered docs found elsewhere on site or if shit is just completely in the wind. Good thing we have a cooperative ex president that is more concerned about protecting the country’s secrets than his own personal gain…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I'm not following the details too closely, but is this the Florida judge who received a filing that wasn't a complaint but something completely random looking? It looked pretty obvious at the time that the judge didn't have jurisdiction or that  easy ruling was to file in the court that issued the warrant. Or is this something else? A special master review isn't all that concerning to me unless it's some maga fuck who you know will just lie about the review.

Yeah it was a fucking mess.  And I think by trying to read between the lines, the judge interpreted it as a special master/injunction request along the lines of attorney-client privilege, which should be fairly routine in the context of attorney-client privilege.  But it turns out executive privilege is a lot more nuanced than attorney client.

But, and I could be wrong, this is clearly in the nature of a civil action that does not belong on a search warrant docket.  It virtually has to be a different "cause number."  The nature of the search warrant proceeding is: Magistrate Miscellaneous Matter: Warrants/Applications/Orders

Second, I think part and parcel of granting the special master relief is enjoining the government from some further action pending the special master review.  And, magistrate judges cannot do that, even by delegation with review by the district judge.  Now, I suppose there might be a district judge "annexed" to a search warrant docket, and that could go there, but I kind of doubt it.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes....and no.  I actually find myself in a position of thinking "not....yet...." about his death.  See, once he dies, all criminal proceedings are moot, and will end.

Nope.  We need him to live long enough to be publicly destroyed, eviscerated, ruined, convicted, imprisoned, shamed, beaten down, and have what's left of him pissed on by an ornery cellmate.  The MAGAs need to be ground to dust, and you do that by destroying their God.

Ruin him first.  And then have him die of rage and despair.  And on that day, I will spend more money on booze and fireworks than any human rightfully should.

Thing is, that ruination probably equates to martyrdom and sainthood for a bit less than half the population.

I'll take death.  It's the only way to be sure.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah it was a fucking mess.  And I think by trying to read between the lines, the judge interpreted it as a special master/injunction request along the lines of attorney-client privilege, which should be fairly routine in the context of attorney-client privilege.  But it turns out executive privilege is a lot more nuanced than attorney client.

But, and I could be wrong, this is clearly in the nature of a civil action that does not belong on a search warrant docket.  It virtually has to be a different "cause number."  The nature of the search warrant proceeding is: Magistrate Miscellaneous Matter: Warrants/Applications/Orders

Second, I think part and parcel of granting the special master relief is enjoining the government from some further action pending the special master review.  And, magistrate judges cannot do that, even by delegation with review by the district judge.  Now, I suppose there might be a district judge "annexed" to a search warrant docket, and that could go there, but I kind of doubt it.

Haha, I just noticed on the docket of this case:

Clerks Notice of Judge Assignment to Judge Aileen M. Cannon. Pursuant to 28 USC 636(c), the parties are hereby notified that the U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart is available to handle any or all proceedings in this case. If agreed, parties should complete and file the Consent form found on our website. It is not necessary to file a document indicating lack of consent. Pro se (NON-PRISONER) litigants may receive Notices of Electronic Filings (NEFS) via email after filing a Consent by Pro Se Litigant (NON-PRISONER) to Receive Notices of Electronic Filing. The consent form is available under the forms section of our website. (jas) (Entered: 08/22/2022)

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Thing is, that ruination probably equates to martyrdom and sainthood for a bit less than half the population.

I'll take death.  It's the only way to be sure

Death or ruination for TFG would be swell, sure, but at a bare minimum it would be nice if he isn’t elected President again, again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Haha, I just noticed on the docket of this case:

Clerks Notice of Judge Assignment to Judge Aileen M. Cannon. Pursuant to 28 USC 636(c), the parties are hereby notified that the U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart is available to handle any or all proceedings in this case. If agreed, parties should complete and file the Consent form found on our website. It is not necessary to file a document indicating lack of consent. Pro se (NON-PRISONER) litigants may receive Notices of Electronic Filings (NEFS) via email after filing a Consent by Pro Se Litigant (NON-PRISONER) to Receive Notices of Electronic Filing. The consent form is available under the forms section of our website. (jas) (Entered: 08/22/2022)

Yeah, I am able to follow some of the lawyer lingo, but I'll need a translation on this.  Is it an implication that if you want to deal with any warrant shit, you should probably deal with the guy who signed the warrant?  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes....and no.  I actually find myself in a position of thinking "not....yet...." about his death.  See, once he dies, all criminal proceedings are moot, and will end.

Nope.  We need him to live long enough to be publicly destroyed, eviscerated, ruined, convicted, imprisoned, shamed, beaten down, and have what's left of him pissed on by an ornery cellmate.  The MAGAs need to be ground to dust, and you do that by destroying their God.

Ruin him first.  And then have him die of rage and despair.  And on that day, I will spend more money on booze and fireworks than any human rightfully should.

We won't fly our American flags at half mast.  We will get new masts -- double the size -- and fly our American flags at the top!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yeah, I am able to follow some of the lawyer lingo, but I'll need a translation on this.  Is it an implication that if you want to deal with any warrant shit, you should probably deal with the guy who signed the warrant?  

No, basically, the magistrate that issued the warrant has no jurisdiction over anything except things very specifically related to the warrant.  The case is not one of general civil or criminal jurisdiction.

Trump's clown team needed to file a separate lawsuit, which they did.  I'm sure part of their motivation was to try to get away from Reinhart, as a magistrate.  And, in that regard, they failed.

Every civil and criminal case in federal court has a magistrate assigned to it.  The parties can consent to trial of everything before the magistrate, or the judge can refer specific matters to the magistrate, usually with the ability to "appeal" any magistrate ruling to the district judge.  One exception to that is anything in the nature of injunctive relief, which means anything where a party is ordered to or forbidden to do something.  This involves injunctive relief, because any order appointing a special master is going to require a concurrent injunction against the government using the seized materials in an investigative capacity until the master rules on whatever s/he is commissioned to rule upon.  As such, the grant or denial of the motion would seem to be immediately appealable by either side.

Another fun fact, raised in the DOJ response, but apparently not strenuously argued by either side is that this case in part attempts to contest the actions of the Archivist in rejecting the executive privilege claims, at least as to the first 15 boxes.  Jurisdiction for that is supposed to lie in the DC District Court.  I guess you can argue that this motion and proceeding apply only to the documents seized in the search warrant, so the Archivist has yet to weigh in on that.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement