A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

Probably worth mentioning that there are four types of documents here:

• personal records-things like the passports, that rightfully belong to Trump
  • Presidential Records-these implicate the office and belong to the government, but are probably not the subject of criminal charges, but could be
  • Classified Materials/National Defense Information-obviously these belong to the government and are the subject of criminal charges
  • Attorney-client privileged documents

The first and last categories are subject to return to Trump, but he never asked for that.

The middle two are not subject to return, as they belong to the government.  They are subject to a claim of executive privilege, but the privilege doesn't work the way Trump wants it to.

The original motion was a muddle.  The response by the government took on about everything the original motion could be interpreted as asking for and imposed some order on the thing.

The reply by Trump is similarly disorganized, and it's only clear that it asks for a special master without really specifying what that special master would do, except "neutral review" whatever that means.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Probably worth mentioning that there are four types of documents here:

• personal records-things like the passports, that rightfully belong to Trump
  • Presidential Records-these implicate the office and belong to the government, but are probably not the subject of criminal charges, but could be
  • Classified Materials/National Defense Information-obviously these belong to the government and are the subject of criminal charges
  • Attorney-client privileged documents

The first and last categories are subject to return to Trump, but he never asked for that.

The middle two are not subject to return, as they belong to the government.  They are subject to a claim of executive privilege, but the privilege doesn't work the way Trump wants it to.

The original motion was a muddle.  The response by the government took on about everything the original motion could be interpreted as asking for and imposed some order on the thing.

The reply by Trump is similarly disorganized, and it's only clear that it asks for a special master without really specifying what that special master would do, except "neutral review" whatever that means.

Isn't the passport technically the property of the us government

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Isn't the passport technically the property of the us government

Yes. Passports can also be seized by the issuing government while the bearer is at home, to prevent flight out of the country while the bearer is under investigation for a crime or awaiting trial.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Yes. Passports can also be seized by the issuing government while the bearer is at home, to prevent flight out of the country while the bearer is under investigation for a crime or awaiting trial.

they're about to go from "hey sorry we took your passports" to "hey we took your passports" in under a month.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

This better fucking turn out like Bedlam last year where Caleb Williams ripped off a 40+ yard scramble late in the 4th, I was sure we were going to blow it once again against the dick eaters, only for a freshman Colin Oliver to scramble on all fucking fours to sack him and end the game.  Hell I didn’t even trust Sanders to take a knee properly…I was sure the snap would roll back 30 yards for a safety.  

It’s got damn comical at this point how much clear evidence is endlessly piling up that Trump overwhelmingly deserves to go to jail for a long time but I’ve been burned so many times before that I’m fully expecting nothing of substance to happen.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Did his new criminal defense lawyer write the response or the other yahoos?

The new guy didn’t sign this pleading. Just Corcoran and a couple yahoos. Bobb didn’t sign it bc she’s probably retaining her own attorney 

Edited by Pig Bellmont
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I honest to God cannot imagine what being his lawyer must be like. I also cannot imagine what it must be like working this case at the DOJ. It is not often I would think that someone implicates themself like this for everyone to see.

YOU GET TO DRINK FROM THE FIREHOSE!

firehose-fire.gif

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Wait, so when the FBI is releases those photos after drug raids…they staged/planted the shot?  Dealers of arms and narcotics don’t just keep their stuff stacked neatly on folding tables or lined up from highest to lowest caliber?  The FBI just arranges that stuff for evidence and crime scene photos?  I am shocked!  And now they’re doing it with ultra sensitive national security docs.  Next you’ll tell me that Treasury agents stack up cash for evidentiary purposes.  I’m outta order?!?!? 

• Haha 2

I do think that the parts of the GOP is trial ballooning through Rove and others if they can pry the base back.  That they failed to do this with the "stolen election" claims makes me thing it's too late.  But it appears they are trying.  Mitch McConnell's silence is deafening.  Once he sees this effort tip back towards or away from Trump will be when he speaks up.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I do think that the parts of the GOP is trial ballooning through Rove and others if they can pry the base back.  That they failed to do this with the "stolen election" claims makes me thing it's too late.  But it appears they are trying.  Mitch McConnell's silence is deafening.  Once he sees this effort tip back towards or away from Trump will be when he speaks up.  

he’s sharpening his knife ….

D667BACC-211A-4FBC-AD98-76AD88EE015D.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

"Tonight, Karl Rove will be playing the role of Brutus."

Yeah, but the cult won't hear it.  They'll assume Rove is being blackmailed, or he's been brainwashed, or maybe he was a librul plant the whole time?  They will not even entertain the idea that maybe they've been conned by a bad guy.  Marks can't even imagine such a thing.  That's why they're the marks.

And if Murdoch is preparing the cult for an indictment, he's probably got a call-to-arms coming in 3...  2...  1...

Edited by TexArcher

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Am I going crazy? What is the difference between heading II and heading III? Is there a meaningful difference between them?

lawyering is the art of repeating the same thing multiple times in order to run up billable hours be more persuasive

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's been a long time since I've written a brief, but typically, the whole point of what you're trying to establish is (i) this is what I want the court to do, because (II) this is what the statutes require/previous courts have held.

Trump's reply brief is basically what you'd expect from an incarcerated pro se defendant that spent his time locked up reading law school textbooks. It "cites" precedent merely by referencing cases in italics without any explanation of how the case is relevant or applies to the situation at hand. And the cases "cited" are mostly concerned with suppression of evidence obtained in violation of the 4th amendment, which is not the matter before the court. It attempts to dispense with multiple pages of the DOJ's comprehensive brief via perfunctory footnotes that boil down to "as we'll establish eventually, those guys are wrong!"

More than anything, it's entirely unclear what this was intended to accomplish. They're basically treating this motion to appoint a special master as an overarching motion to dismiss/motion to suppress in a future criminal trial. They seem to be operating under the belief that a special master will somehow be able comprehensively rule that DOJ obtained the warrant under false pretenses, the warrant was facially invalid, Trump is immune from prosecution under PRA, Trump had authority to declassify, and DOJ are just a bunch of Democrat meanies out to get him....etc. It's a grab bag of nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

It's been a long time since I've written a brief, but typically, the whole point of what you're trying to establish is (i) this is what I want the court to do, because (II) this is what the statutes require/previous courts have held.

Trump's reply brief is basically what you'd expect from an incarcerated pro se defendant that spent his time locked up reading law school textbooks. It "cites" precedent merely by referencing cases in italics without any explanation of how the case is relevant or applies to the situation at hand. And the cases "cited" are mostly concerned with suppression of evidence obtained in violation of the 4th amendment, which is not the matter before the court. It attempts to dispense with multiple pages of the DOJ's comprehensive brief via perfunctory footnotes that boil down to "as we'll establish eventually, those guys are wrong!"

More than anything, it's entirely unclear what this was intended to accomplish. They're basically treating this motion to appoint a special master as an overarching motion to dismiss/motion to suppress in a future criminal trial. They seem to be operating under the belief that a special master will somehow be able comprehensively rule that DOJ obtained the warrant under false pretenses, the warrant was facially invalid, Trump is immune from prosecution under PRA, Trump had authority to declassify, and DOJ are just a bunch of Democrat meanies out to get him....etc. It's a grab bag of nonsense.

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

You think it's a coincidence that we're hearing the word "documents" over and over again and Rob "Making Copies" Schneider comes outta obscurity to talk about supporting Trump?  It's Big Paper, man.  They're making themselves relevant again.  

Welcome back dude I missed these types of posts.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Wait, so when the FBI is releases those photos after drug raids…they staged/planted the shot?  Dealers of arms and narcotics don’t just keep their stuff stacked neatly on folding tables or lined up from highest to lowest caliber?  The FBI just arranges that stuff for evidence and crime scene photos?  I am shocked!  And now they’re doing it with ultra sensitive national security docs.  Next you’ll tell me that Treasury agents stack up cash for evidentiary purposes.  I’m outta order?!?!? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What are they saying during prime time?

Here we go...the Feds are staging the shot of classified documents on the floor to make the public think that’s how they found them. Trump’s attorney (in the NY case) admits that they were in Trump’s office, that she’s been there, and he has frequent visitors to his office where he keeps our nation’s most classified secrets in his desk drawer.

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Here we go...the Feds are staging the shot of classified documents on the floor to make the public think that’s how they found them. Trump’s attorney (in the NY case) admits that they were in Trump’s office, that she’s been there, and he has frequent visitors to his office where he keeps our nation’s most classified secrets in his desk drawer.

Now see, that's how them lies get out.  I didn't say his dick had a wart on it, I said it

FELT like it had one on it.(Not sure who to quote for that one,  maybe Rudy Ray Moore)

Edited by AnTiM
add last sentence

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Tell me, Alina, that you've never dealt with a search warrant or a criminal case, without telling me that you never dealt with a search warrant or criminal case.

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Tell me, Alina, that you've never dealt with a search warrant or a criminal case, without telling me that you never dealt with a search warrant or criminal case.

It’s all so dumb anyways. “the “2A” placard that is in the photo was placed there by the FBI!! yes I know that coincidentally corresponds to a subset of materials listed on the receipt of items taken in this search. Yes I know I have a copy.”

Its a bad straw man. No one believes the FBI or the DOJ is trying to convince anyone that the picture reflects how the items were found/stored. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

can we talk about lead counsel using a regular old @gmail.com address? 

That awkward moment when your lawyer hands you their card, says "Contact me day or night, you're my number one client", and the domain is a fucking gmail.com address. 

I bet dollars to donuts the told Trump, "You know, we're just so big and busy at my firm that gmail is just easier than dealing with a buncha IT nerds trying to setup a website and email accounts and all that..."  And Trump looks at this assistant, "I like this guy...no bullshit with him.  Just focuses on me, not on the details and email accounts.:"  

They just gotta keep talking though, even if they accidentally let slip that he frequently entertains guests in his office for some bizarre reason.  They gotta make sure they keep his base fuming and turning out to vote in a 8 weeks time.  Meanwhile, hopefully a few undecideds or folks who don't vote mid-terms will take note and think, "I fucking hate politics but this does seem to be a bit over the top even for Trump."  

I think his advisers and lawyers instead of reading books, keep watching "Clear and Present Danger" on a loop for advice on how to get out of a crisis.  Particularly that scene where Cutter plays up his friendship with the bad guy on the boat.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Just the dumbest people in the world. 

Interdasting.  I went to see the rest of that thread and then the replies.  He gets absolutely pantsed.  Nary a magat in sight to defend him.

They really got nothin here.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 3

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement