Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Burden effect isn't a factor in Wingo recruitment? You have to be kidding. It's a huge factor. Burden NIL in Missouri is everywhere. His family can walk into any store in the state and get Luther Burden merchandise. He is the face of the program and doing very well on the field and certainly doing well with NIL.  They are selling Wingo on being the next face of the program and having his face plastered everywhere. It's like being Mr Football in a small town but now it's the entire state. It's a huge factor in his recruitment and the one thing no other school can offer.

You just made the point. Whether Burden plays like/acts like the face of the program is irrelevant to the NIL program around him, which is what they're pitching to Wingo. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Burden effect isn't a factor in Wingo recruitment? You have to be kidding. It's a huge factor. Burden NIL in Missouri is everywhere. His family can walk into any store in the state and get Luther Burden merchandise. He is the face of the program and doing very well on the field and certainly doing well with NIL.  They are selling Wingo on being the next face of the program and having his face plastered everywhere. It's like being Mr Football in a small town but now it's the entire state. It's a huge factor in his recruitment and the one thing no other school can offer.

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

You just made the point. Whether Burden plays like/acts like the face of the program is irrelevant to the NIL program around him, which is what they're pitching to Wingo. 

Yeah, MonkeyDoughnut, what in the fuck are you doing? That was my point. It's NIL, not performance, that is a driver on the Missouri side. Same for Texas. This is an NIL recruitment first and foremost.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, MonkeyDoughnut, what in the fuck are you doing? That was my point. It's NIL, not performance, that is a driver on the Missouri side. Same for Texas. This is an NIL recruitment first and foremost.

I heard on a livecast recently that there is a close circle member who is a Mizzou alum and is in their ear constantly, which is why Gerry is leaning Mizzou. 

I think that I would rather drive a Lambo in Austin and be a hero with a great career at UT than Missouri. And in Sark's offense, with proper development, he would probably be a higher draft pick than at Mizzou. I could be wrong, but I have to believe that if Evan was in Sark's offense rather than Jimbo's, he could be a higher draft pick with far more income than his NIL he received at aggy. 

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I get NIL is the primary driver, but I'm thinking it's a lot easier for Mizzou to convince him to stay home when the guy they're telling him to watch to see what it would be like has 100+ yds in 6 of 7 games this year.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I get NIL is the primary driver, but I'm thinking it's a lot easier for Mizzou to convince him to stay home when the guy they're telling him to watch to see what it would be like has 100+ yds in 6 of 7 games this year.

Yeah, I mentioned proximity too. From a performance perspective, Missouri can point out Burden, but Texas can and has pointed out both the reality that Burden wasn't featured last year and that the guy who was transferred out anyway, because ... Missouri. They also have a fun offense and depth chart so the on-field side of this recruitment is irrelevant between Missouri and Texas. It's part of what separated those 2 schools from the others in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Notes from South, UT 247 guys think Texas still in a good spot for Wingo:

Spoiler

— We reported what we were hearing on five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo late last week as Missouri was picking up steam in his recruitment. Wide receivers coach Chris Jackson was in Kansas City on Friday night to see him. Checking in with several sources coming out of the weekend and the feeling is generally the same. The contact with Texas remains consistent and there’s enough there to still feel like Texas has the edge, at least depending on who you ask. I will add, each source believes Missouri is a real threat here and nobody is discounting people projecting the Tigers as the ultimate pick. With that being said, Texas’ surge since the summer for the five-star wideout has real legs to it and it’s not something that’s simply going to be brushed off. It’s a recruitment still worth closely monitoring from the Texas end.

— Sticking on the theme of wide receiver, Texas extended a new offer at the position on Sunday to four-star pass catcher and Florida commit Izaiah Williams. Wide receivers coach Chris Jackson gave the Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day product the news on Sunday morning. Williams and his father have both been in contact with the Longhorns staff since. The immediate assumption is that Texas is missing on the aforementioned Wingo and Williams is now the backup plan. We’re told that’s not the case, but Texas does want to make sure they’re not left out in the cold come Early Signing Day if Wingo does ultimately pick Mizzou. The Longhorns could lose some serious production at wide receiver this offseason to the NFL Draft, making it a position of need this cycle. Texas has plenty to sell when it comes to the position as well. Sark’s offense, a talented QB slinging the ball around, the chance to play early, NIL opportunities in Austin, etc. Williams is a recruitment one source says “to keep an eye on.” We’ll see if he sets up an official visit to Austin. But he’s now a new name to watch pre-Transfer Portal window, whereas it was really just Wingo and some contact with Texas Tech commit Micah Hudson before.

— How about another wide receiver note? Texas still remains after 2025 five-star wideout and Alabama commit Ryan Williams. I’ll preface this by saying I don’t think he’s going to flip from the Crimson Tide at this point, but crazier things have happened in recruiting. One source tells Horns247 that Williams and Texas are still in consistent contact. The Saraland standout and favorite target of Texas commit KJ Lacey told us earlier this year that he plans to visit Austin at least once, if not more, before his recruitment is over. Williams has also been to Auburn and Georgia this season, as well as several trips to Tuscaloosa. It would be a massive feat to flip a player of his caliber as some consider him the best wide receiver in the country regardless of class.

— Last but not least, we saw head coach Steve Sarkisian and offensive line coach Kyle Flood in California on Friday night to see five-star Texas offensive tackle commit Brandon Baker and top offensive line target and Auburn pledge DeAndre Carter, among others. The Longhorns got Carter on campus late last month for an official visit. After returning home Carter said he was going to talk with his parents and weigh out all of his options, but that he was still committed to Auburn at this point. Talking to sources a couple weeks later, the buzz is growing in favor of Texas flipping Carter from the Tigers. There’s still work to do but things appear to be trending in the right direction. Auburn, of course, wants to hang on to the four-star lineman and was his original pick for a reason, but Texas is giving him a lot to think about. Carter could be the last piece to Kyle Flood’s 2024 offensive line class, at least from the prep ranks, with plans to take at least four prospects.

• Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I mentioned proximity too. From a performance perspective, Missouri can point out Burden, but Texas can and has pointed out both the reality that Burden wasn't featured last year and that the guy who was transferred out anyway, because ... Missouri. They also have a fun offense and depth chart so the on-field side of this recruitment is irrelevant between Missouri and Texas. It's part of what separated those 2 schools from the others in the first place.

dude, no kidding. his stats for the regular season last year were 38 catches for 329 yards and 6 TDs. the last 5 games (inc bowl game) he had 6, 3, 3, 2, 7 catches. so not like they brought him on and then he exploded at the end of the year.

he topped 5 catches once all regular season and his season high in yards was 66. he had more than 50 yards (2x) as often has he had 5 or fewer yards (2)

Burden had 45 catches last year and a 5th year senior named Barrett Banisher had 44. our old friend Mookie Cooper had 26 all year last year and already has 22 this year.

if they were such a prolific offense wouldn't they have been able to keep their leading WR who is from East St Louis and played at Mizzou for 2 years? who portal'd to Georgia lol

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Recruiting notes from IT today

Hide contents

The recruitment of Solomon Williams continues to trend toward Texas A&M, but the mounting losses on the field are providing some reason for pause. Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski was at the Carrollwood Day game Friday, and the Longhorns are making a strong final push. An official visit to Oregon this weekend is scheduled and LSU is trying to make a little late run here too. A visit to Alabama for the LSU game is possible, but in question. A decision prior to the end of October is not out of the question.

That kind of writing really begs the question. 

1 minute ago, BurgleBro said:

If we finish with 10 wins we have so much recruiting momentum against aggies.   We need to try flipping some positions we need.   Any rumors of us trying to do that? 

No because anyone who is willing to back out of a commitment is by definition a bad person and will be a bust.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

If we finish with 10 wins we have so much recruiting momentum against aggies.   We need to try flipping some positions we need.   Any rumors of us trying to do that? 

Myles Davis is visiting in November, but he's behind the Florida safety on the board. Florida being 5-2 is less than ideal, they are likely making a bowl unless they shit the bed against Arkansas.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Myles Davis is visiting in November, but he's behind the Florida safety on the board. Florida being 5-2 is less than ideal, they are likely making a bowl unless they shit the bed against Arkansas.

Yeah, “a bowl.” Who gives a fuck? They’ll be 7-5. There are 4 more likely losses on their schedule and you think them going to the Erectile Dysfunction Bowl in Tupelo, Mississippi is going to be the narrative that can’t be overcome? 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The product on the field is absolutely awful. At least with Sarks first year there were glimmers of what could be. Auburn has yet to look like it has the capacity to field a modern football team. 

per CTJ they have been telling recruits all year they were going to be really bad this year

1 hour ago, NoName said:

per CTJ they have been telling recruits all year they were going to be really bad this year

Someone can you they are terminally sick. That does not mean you are prepared to watch it happen. Some kids will stay, because it is all about playing time next year. Some will watch that disaster and say they dont want to be a part of that dumpster fire. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

That's a recruiting strategy, I guess. What are they telling recruits about the following season?

We're going to suck bad this year. But recruits, keep in mind that it is only going to get worse throughout my tenure.

Edited by Bevo

52 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That's a recruiting strategy, I guess. What are they telling recruits about the following season?

We're going to suck bad this year. But recruits, keep in mind that it is only going to get worse throughout my tenure.

They could always deploy the Charlie Weiss at KU recruiting pitch 🤷🏼‍♂️

https://secure-www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/weis-pitch-to-recruits-have-you-seen-that-pile-of-crap-out-there/

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

It’s pretty straightforward. The guy knew they were hopeless in the spring. He’s blamed it fully on Harsin. 

Beyond that, the pitch is “we need guys like you to lead the turnaround, you’re going to play early and often, here’s an oversized bag of money versus what damned near anyone is offering up front, don’t worry about long term NIL as most schools are full of shit on that and you can get just as much at Auburn as you can anywhere else probably”. 

Auburn is a lot like ATM except they have put things together a time or two in the last 84 years. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hey, hey, look who got some BOMC.  Only three composite 3*'s in the class currently:  Kern (Punter), Hills, and Washington.

Screenshot_20231017_182541_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231017_182554_Chrome.jpg

Gerry mentioned this morning on YouTube that he has heard good things about Kibble so far this season.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

All jokes aside, me being from SETX its no reason we should not be recruiting Miller. If we need WRs and Wingo not being a shoe in, why not go after an in state top WR??? 

I seen him against Cureo and WOS, kid can go! 
 Sark knows what he’s looking for but this is a head scratcher 

Edited by D3zii
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry mentioned this morning on YouTube that he has heard good things about Kibble so far this season.

From having talked to recruits parents that have played against the OL in that district, they said he wasn’t quite a kelvin banks, but definitely in that class of HS OL. Super technical, really strong and a really smart player. He’s gonna be great and my favorite lineman of our class. 

• Hook 'Em 4