Holy shit, Mitt got abused by the cult tonight

Gil Bang

41 minutes ago, sidis said:

this is, of course, the rub in the situation. it is difficult and one's perspective on its place in polite society is clearly driven by partisan perspectives. many on this board applauded the public chastising that rand paul took on his way to his car because he is supremely unlikable and deserved it...and further mocked his recasting of the encounter as some sort of assault which was a laughable characterization.  he's a piece of shit and deserves to be mocked, he really does.  romney is what he is...a true believer corporatist conservative...a country club republican.  polished enough to avoid the clownshow bullshit of the last four years but still anything but driven by egalitarian principles.  i, of course, believe we need voices like that amongst statesmen to keep things from moving into a runaway situation in either extreme direction - but i certainly would not want his perspective to be the prevailing majority on most issues.  i will also say that even though i find mitt romney's ideals to be misguided and fairly out of touch, it did take at least some integrity on his part to commit political suicide like he has over the last two years. he could have chosen to be an opportunist like cruz/hawley and the rest of the merry band of dipshits.

that said, we scoff at this because we abhor the mob on this one because they are easy to dismiss and patronize.  because they are so pathetic and uninformed - driven by a bizarre religious-like dedication to a grifter who simply uses them to his own ends - we find their childish taunts and the ease with which their faux fervor can lead to them literally espousing quite possibly the most unamerican things imaginable like "support republicans over the constitution" to a sitting senator to be what they are...head-shakingly pitiful. 

so, ultimately, is a mob good or bad?  it is a question that has persisted since the beginning of social cooperation...that ultimately exposes the tension between democratic ideals and the reality of an uninformed, idiotic citizenry which leads to the embrace of technocratic perspectives.  we want our elected representatives to respect and show deference to the will of their constituents.  but...do we?  my preference is to not let the overwhelming majority perspective of the texas 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th, and 36th district citizenry have any fucking say over my life whatsoever.  on the other hand, senators like ted cruz have hidden behind high walls and mocked the populace for a while with no consequence...we would all be very satisfied watching his public humiliation and ruin...and to be held accountable by his constituents because he is genuinely a bad person.  mobs have lead to the overthrow of monarchies and aristocratic chokeholds on society.  hooray french and american revolutions.  mobs have led to the rise of fascism and attempted extermination of an entire group of human beings.

a conflict and tension that has and will exist forever in any type of western democracy of size and diversity.

Very nice and very thoughtful. Thanks for posting it.

Also, anytime someone mentions mobs I can't help but think of one of my fave scenes among many:

Booooo! Booooo! [The Princess Bride 1987 The Ancient Booer Margery Mason  boo angry mob mentality furious mad down vote pitchforks and torches witch  hunt hivemind rage hatred dislike unpopular opinion] : reddit.com

The weirdest thing about the past 10 years of Mitt Romney may be this:  I never saw any videos where Democrats confronted him in airports and said, "I believe in marriage equality, protecting the environment, and a woman's right to choose.  I also work just as hard as anyone else, pay taxes like everyone else, and love this country as much as anyone else.  So I just want to tell you 'fuck you' for calling me a taker, and for lying about why I'm not voting for you." 

Only when Mitt showed the tiniest amount of integrity by voting to impeach the corrupt president who was (once again) seeking foreign interference in American elections... only then did we start seeing *anyone* go after him in an airport.  

Weird world.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

The weirdest thing about the past 10 years of Mitt Romney may be this:  I never saw any videos where Democrats confronted him in airports and said, "I believe in marriage equality, protecting the environment, and a woman's right to choose.  I also work just as hard as anyone else, pay taxes like everyone else, and love this country as much as anyone else.  So I just want to tell you 'fuck you' for calling me a taker, and for lying about why I'm not voting for you." 

Only when Mitt showed the tiniest amount of integrity by voting to impeach the corrupt president who was (once again) seeking foreign interference in American elections... only then did we start seeing *anyone* go after him in an airport.  

Weird world.  

Mitt shows integrity and core values - gets harassed by Trumpers in an airport and called a traitor on a flight

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski vote to save the ACA in 2017 by showing integrity and values - received rounds of applause and hugs at local airports

On 1/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, sidis said:

this is, of course, the rub in the situation. it is difficult and one's perspective on its place in polite society is clearly driven by partisan perspectives. many on this board applauded the public chastising that rand paul took on his way to his car because he is supremely unlikable and deserved it...and further mocked his recasting of the encounter as some sort of assault which was a laughable characterization.  he's a piece of shit and deserves to be mocked, he really does.  romney is what he is...a true believer corporatist conservative...a country club republican.  polished enough to avoid the clownshow bullshit of the last four years but still anything but driven by egalitarian principles.  i, of course, believe we need voices like that amongst statesmen to keep things from moving into a runaway situation in either extreme direction - but i certainly would not want his perspective to be the prevailing majority on most issues.  i will also say that even though i find mitt romney's ideals to be misguided and fairly out of touch, it did take at least some integrity on his part to commit political suicide like he has over the last two years. he could have chosen to be an opportunist like cruz/hawley and the rest of the merry band of dipshits.

that said, we scoff at this because we abhor the mob on this one because they are easy to dismiss and patronize.  because they are so pathetic and uninformed - driven by a bizarre religious-like dedication to a grifter who simply uses them to his own ends - we find their childish taunts and the ease with which their faux fervor can lead to them literally espousing quite possibly the most unamerican things imaginable like "support republicans over the constitution" to a sitting senator to be what they are...head-shakingly pitiful. 

so, ultimately, is a mob good or bad?  it is a question that has persisted since the beginning of social cooperation...that ultimately exposes the tension between democratic ideals and the reality of an uninformed, idiotic citizenry which leads to the embrace of technocratic perspectives.  we want our elected representatives to respect and show deference to the will of their constituents.  but...do we?  my preference is to not let the overwhelming majority perspective of the texas 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th, and 36th district citizenry have any fucking say over my life whatsoever.  on the other hand, senators like ted cruz have hidden behind high walls and mocked the populace for a while with no consequence...we would all be very satisfied watching his public humiliation and ruin...and to be held accountable by his constituents because he is genuinely a bad person.  mobs have lead to the overthrow of monarchies and aristocratic chokeholds on society.  hooray french and american revolutions.  mobs have led to the rise of fascism and attempted extermination of an entire group of human beings.

a conflict and tension that has and will exist forever in any type of western democracy of size and diversity.

Oh man, what a post to have made on the morning of January 6th. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, sidis said:

Well said.

And, the founders were aware of the danger of mobocracy in democracy.

I still find it exceedingly ironic that the very devices they emplaced (Senate, electoral college) contributed to, if not outright caused, the closest thing to a dangerous mobocracy the American Experience has yet to endure.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's the fucking point, you fucking moron. Mitt, in a vacuum, isn't great for the country. He's the 1% come to life in almost-human form. And, 10 years ago, that seemed like a pretty bad thing. But the GOP said, "Hold my beer," and now we're infested with Trump boot-licking infants. I'll take the adult that I generally disagree with, but who still believes in debate and compromise.

Lol

that’s cute.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 12

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Y'all need to read this piece by Mitt in The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/07/mitt-romney-republican-denial-biden-election/661468/

President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it. Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.

Wow it’s trash. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Wake me up when he stands up to Manchin's obstructionism

You could make the argument that he's also a moderate that deserves some support for voting for what he believes in, although most believe he's just on the take from the Republicans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Big deal.... he wrote an opinion piece, without even saying anything. Kinzinger runs laps around Romney in standing up against the GQP, and realized that in doing so there was no place in the republican party for him. But he did it anyway. Mitt is smart enough to know exactly why Trump is so bad for this country, but too much of a fucking pussy to risk his precious senate seat. I don't need some rich f'n congressman to tell me things are fucked up in this country. I need our elected officials to do something about it. 

Here are the things in life Mitt prioritizes: 1.) Mitt Romney, 2.) Mitt Romney, 3.) Mitt Romney........................................................................97.) other shit. Sure, he's more deserving of praise than the MTGs, Boeberts, Gaetzs of DC, but that's a pretty low bar. He blasted Trump in 2016, but once Trump won he dropped to his knees like the spineless bitch that he is. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-romney/romney-potential-u-s-secretary-of-state-hails-trump-after-dinner-idUSKBN13P0A7

He's not dumb. He never drank the koolaid like a lot of the true maga fucktards in congress. There's plenty more he could and should be saying, because he knows where this is all going. 

Seriously, this.  Mitt's been around for all of it.  He's done fuck all.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Big deal.... he wrote an opinion piece, without even saying anything. Kinzinger runs laps around Romney in standing up against the GQP, and realized that in doing so there was no place in the republican party for him. But he did it anyway. Mitt is smart enough to know exactly why Trump is so bad for this country, but too much of a fucking pussy to risk his precious senate seat. I don't need some rich f'n congressman to tell me things are fucked up in this country. I need our elected officials to do something about it. 

Here are the things in life Mitt prioritizes: 1.) Mitt Romney, 2.) Mitt Romney, 3.) Mitt Romney........................................................................97.) other shit. Sure, he's more deserving of praise than the MTGs, Boeberts, Gaetzs of DC, but that's a pretty low bar. He blasted Trump in 2016, but once Trump won he dropped to his knees like the spineless bitch that he is. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-romney/romney-potential-u-s-secretary-of-state-hails-trump-after-dinner-idUSKBN13P0A7

He's not dumb. He never drank the koolaid like a lot of the true maga fucktards in congress. There's plenty more he could and should be saying, because he knows where this is all going. 

These posts are perfect examples of what I just described. He may not have done enough (which i agree he hasn't), but to flat out say he's done nothing of substance is just wrong and demonstrates the overly partisan attitude of most people today. From Wikipedia:

He was one of three Republican Senators, the others being Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine, who refused to co-sponsor a resolution opposing the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.[17][18][19] He was one of two Republicans voting with Democrats to allow witnesses during the impeachment trial, being disinvited from CPAC as a result.[20][21] In February 2020, he became the sole Republican to vote in favor of convicting President Trump under the first article of impeachment.[22][23]

Some of these actions were very significant given he went against almost every other Republican Senator. And if you're looking for a politician who's not out for himself or herself, you will be looking until the end of time. Most people aren't going to throw away their seat. That's a naive viewpoint. Change comes from having a seat at the table.

• Hook 'Em 2

the point about mitt's impeachment and certification voting record - bravo. any other votes of his with republicans and others who vote or don't vote with the rest of these shitbags are complicit unless they vote AGAINST.

Edited by troph

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

These posts are perfect examples of what I just described. He may not have done enough (which i agree he hasn't), but to flat out say he's done nothing of substance is just wrong and demonstrates the overly partisan attitude of most people today. From Wikipedia:

He was one of three Republican Senators, the others being Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine, who refused to co-sponsor a resolution opposing the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.[17][18][19] He was one of two Republicans voting with Democrats to allow witnesses during the impeachment trial, being disinvited from CPAC as a result.[20][21] In February 2020, he became the sole Republican to vote in favor of convicting President Trump under the first article of impeachment.[22][23]

Some of these actions were very significant given he went against almost every other Republican Senator. And if you're looking for a politician who's not out for himself or herself, you will be looking until the end of time. Most people aren't going to throw away their seat. That's a naive viewpoint. Change comes from having a seat at the table.

blah blah blah. When you observe the defacto leader of your political party trying to eradicate democracy in the United States, I expect a hell of a lot more out of all republicans. I'm not surprised we're not seeing it, its not  naiveté, because I know Congress is full of self absorbed greedy shitbags. But that doesn't mean I'm going to praise Mitt for doing about 5% of what I would expect. Like Neonmoon quoted in the post above...."you’re supposed to you dumb motherfucker."

If you want me to choose between Mitt Romney and MTG, sure I'll take Mitt. But if you ask me to choose between Mitt Romney and a steaming pile of dogshit, its not so clear cut. There's a lot more he and the rest of the power brokers in what we used to know as the GOP could have done in the past to oppose Trump, and more they could be doing now. If he gives one fuck about this country, it should be his complete and total focus.  I know it, you know it, and even he knows it. Again, fuck Mitt Romney. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

You could make the argument that he's also a moderate that deserves some support for voting for what he believes in, although most believe he's just on the take from the Republicans. 

I don't know if you realize this, but 47% of all Americans will vote for whoever gives them a handout.  

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

On second thought, just get the fuck out of here with your moralizing.  I know who's traitorous, who sits on their ass, and who is trying to govern.  You don't.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mitt Romney had his chance to stand up to all this GQP bullshit and he decided to kiss the ring because he’s a little bitch who doesn’t care about anything but getting his, just like the rest of them. Fuck Trump, but it was hilarious that he made Romney grovel and then passed him over for Secretary of State. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I know there is deep hatred for the Republican Party, deservingly so given what they’ve done. 

However, if those on the left continue to just bad mouth moderates who are trying to stand up to their own party, you become complicit in the continuance of the extreme right politics that are killing this country. You may not like him, but he’s doing more to stand up to his own party than anyone else except for Cheney.  

Absolutely. The comments above yours turn me off as I’ve totally turned from GOP. Your post is spot on. 

Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.

If a Senator does not do EVERYTHING in his power to end Trump and the rise of fascism in America, he is NOT a good man, he is a piece of shit only interested in his own short-term self-preservation. I emphasize short term, because don't think for a second that the evangelicals won't turn on Mormons as soon as they don't need them anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I know there is deep hatred for the Republican Party, deservingly so given what they’ve done. 

However, if those on the left continue to just bad mouth moderates who are trying to stand up to their own party, you become complicit in the continuance of the extreme right politics that are killing this country. You may not like him, but he’s doing more to stand up to his own party than anyone else except for Cheney.  

Fuck Mitt Romney, fuck Liz Cheney, and most of all, fuck Dick Cheney. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah, why don't you just shut the fuck up?

Kidding.

I finally read the op-ed:

1. It’s generally not all that well written. Nothing is outright bad or poorly written; it’s just not compelling or engaging at all, a little like Mitt.

2. His description of MAGA is absolutely correct. Maybe this will bring out one more centrist voter to vote against MAGA.

3. He’s trying to find a middle way, but ends up coming across as mealy-mouthed. Even if you grant his premises about immigration and inflation, the central thesis — MAGA’s imminent danger — is lost in the noise.

4. I’m not sure who his audience is — “sane” republicans and centrist democrats? Perhaps facile analysis and writing like a doped up 4th grade social studies teacher is the best way to extinguish the MAGA flame. Who knows?

5. I half expected him to announce his candidacy for president at the end, but maybe he should understands that he’s too old. Is this a move to get behind Liz?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...