Holy shit, Mitt got abused by the cult tonight

Gil Bang

god we suck.

maybe he should become a democrat.  fuck this 50-50 shit.

quick sidenote - i was putting a tour together about a year ago, and was working with a woman who ran a mall about 10 miles outside of slc and we needed her lot.  we probably had 7-8 phone calls in a 2 day stretch of finalizing details (i never met her in person).  also this was the same ~time period of mitt's impeachment vote.  she somehow kinda injected politics into the conversation - something i never would've done.  and caught by surprise, i was like, "hey, mitt romney, stood tall today" or whatever.  and she paused.  and then told me how proud she was and how everyone around there was, and i swear she was close to tears when she explained it.  it was...awkward, but kinda cool.  romney -> trump isn't what you would call a smooth transition for some republicans.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

They also came at him in the airport -

these morons tape their conversations because they can't wait to share them with their fellow idiots online.

never a thought in their lizard brains that someone will repost that same video unedited to show how terrible they are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

these morons tape their conversations because they can't wait to share them with their fellow idiots online.

never a thought in their lizard brains that someone will repost that same video unedited to show how terrible they are.

Or that someone would tape their idiot hero commiting crimes trying to extort a government official to commit election fraud

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The Republican Party he thinks he belongs to no longer exists. He should flip tomorrow.

Oddly enough, I think he'd still get re-elected in Utah if he did. Mormon conservatives are odd birds and I think their loyalty would be to him rather than his party. Plus lots of progressives are moving to SLC, not to say he'd start voting progressive even if he changed parties. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Orale said:

Oddly enough, I think he'd still get re-elected in Utah if he did. Mormon conservatives are odd birds and I think their loyalty would be to him rather than his party. Plus lots of progressives are moving to SLC, not to say he'd start voting progressive even if he changed parties. 

I agree with this. I see Utah sort of being like Montana in this regards. SLC is actually a pretty fun city (for families, not singles) outside of the stupid state liquor laws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Orale said:

If by odd you mean a helluva lot less hypocritical in their morality then yeah odd.  I’m not Mormon but I’d much rather play ball with them than trump evangelicals.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I agree with this. I see Utah sort of being like Montana in this regards. SLC is actually a pretty fun city (for families, not singles) outside of the stupid state liquor laws. 

Yep. I have family in SLC and go there regularly. Beautiful place. Surprisingly good micro-breweries, but kind of sucks you can't get draft beer beyond 5% alc.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Yeah, but the state owned liquor stores are pretty amazing actually. If you can dream it, they have it. And you can verify their stock online. 

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Lots of back-row poor people stuff going on there. That, coupled with the tinny, low-testosterone chanting, is so cringe.

As an ex-Bainie, I have nothing but mucho mucho respect and love for ole Mitty. What he did in business was legendary and heroic.

It is (cringe, that is) and it's also embarrassingly rude. I have no issues with Americans telling a politician what they think in person, but have a little two way respect here. AFAIK, he has never been unreasonable face to face with people and this is a harassment level that is not okay. This was also done to Senator Warren, also in an airport and like @Nice Guy Eddiesays, it drives pols deeper into a security and privacy bubble that does no good for anyone. Politicians need to experience some of the discomforts of the real world that Americans live, and air travel for business and pleasure is one of them. They should be able to do that and interact with other travelers w/o suffering any more harassment than the rest of us. Speak your mind like an adult not a toddler, and move on.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I do not have a strong opinion about Senator Romney one way or the other. I like to believe he is a decent and well-intentioned human being by how he conducts himself in public. I would say that it’s a good thing for him that he is a peaceful person. I will probably not watch the video. I do not want to see that kind of negativity and disrespect given to someone because they will not bow to the whims of a cult. 

We have so much work to do in relating to one another in this country. Trump damaged the psyche of millions of our fellow citizens and we cannot change that overnight.

I feel like Romney, despite his Mormonism (which dictates or can dictate a number of social conservative positions) would have been a fairly reasonable conservative politician if he had some party other than the early 21st century GOP death cult with which to align himself.  His record as Massachusetts governor indicates that that might be the case.

Also, agree with the observations about Mormons.  Outwardly, they seem to live a pretty exemplary life without ever seeming to get in anyone's face about the things they internally disapprove of.  I have worked with a number of them over the years and have found them to be delightful people.  What goes on back at the stake or in the tabernacle may be hair raising, but they're great people on a neighbor/coworker level.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yeah, but the state owned liquor stores are pretty amazing actually. If you can dream it, they have it. And you can verify their stock online. 

Yep. Never had a problem getting booze on a SLC layover. SLC unlike DEN is an actual mountain town.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I feel like Romney, despite his Mormonism (which dictates or can dictate a number of social conservative positions) would have been a fairly reasonable conservative politician if he had some party other than the early 21st century GOP death cult with which to align himself.  His record as Massachusetts governor indicates that that might be the case.

Definitely. In hindsight, America has learned that Mitt and McCain were not the worst case scenario. By far.

• Hook 'Em 2

McCain was just a little too into forever war.  Other pols, you got the feeling that they didn’t like it but thought it was necessary. With McCain, it seemed like he really relished it.

Mitt is fine. Just fine. A healthy democracy needs a competition of reasonable ideas and even if you are a diehard progressive, you need to have the humility to realize you aren’t always right and more importantly, that not everyone agrees with you and they have a say, too. A R party led by people like Mitt would be just fine in opposition and occasionally in power as a way to keep the left honest and refining their policies and communication.

At one time I’d have said his silver spoon aura is a killer, but we now know you can be a silver spoon predatory billionaire as long you are also a complete asshole.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Definitely. In hindsight, America has learned that Mitt and McCain were not the worst case scenario. By far.

McCain's problem was Sarah.  The thought of having a complete bimbo one 72 year old away from the POTUS was the main reason I didn't vote for McCain.  Of course, we got the dumber, meaner, racist-er, oranger version of her 8 years later.  sigh

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As I get older (& America turns more into a WWE event), I don't find Shooter McGavin as completely evil as I did when Happy Gilmore movie came out. Still an arrogant jerk but relatable.

I've felt that way for awhile; I've related on here before that my folks grew up impoverished and felt the sting of people looking down on them as low class trash but parents realized that manners were only an affectation if their use was insincere and raised us in that way. It was less of a 'what will the neighbors think' and more of a 'people shouldn't treat people that way.' It's what makes some politicians so ick: they have the same callous disregard for others as the people yelling at Romney, but they've put some cologne and a tie on.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit--Clarifying here: Mitt does not necessarily have any more concern for humanity, and I'm inclined to lump him in with those whose manners cover up insouciance, but he does at least behave like a human and should be treated as one.

Well, since some of us are opining, I don't think Romney is perfect, but if he was the norm for what the opposition to Dems were in this country, I'd be pretty fucking thrilled.  He's goddamn relatively awesome is what he is.

We motherfuckers allowed Ted Cruz to be our senator, we don't deserve to say one negative fucking thing about Romney.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Well, since some of us are opining, I don't think Romney is perfect, but if he was the norm for what the opposition to Dems were in this country, I'd be pretty fucking thrilled.  He's goddamn relatively awesome is what he is.

We motherfuckers allowed Ted Cruz to be our senator, we don't deserve to say one negative fucking thing about Romney.

Al Franken was on CNN earlier this morning.  He said "I like Ted Cruz more than any other of my former colleagues and I hate Ted Cruz."  The fact that this unlikeable cunt keeps getting elected in Texas is a stain on our state.  JFC he sucks

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, agree with the observations about Mormons.  Outwardly, they seem to live a pretty exemplary life without ever seeming to get in anyone's face about the things they internally disapprove of.  I have worked with a number of them over the years and have found them to be delightful people.  What goes on back at the stake or in the tabernacle may be hair raising, but they're great people on a neighbor/coworker level.

One thing about Mormonism is that they have a built-in mechanism to tweak and adjust their moral and practical theology but maintain consistency. To a lesser extent, this is also true of Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy and other churches with apostolic succession (although the latitude the Pope has is greatly overstated by loony Protestants and secular people alike).

Evangelicals and Protestants don’t have a way to do that gracefully without provoking a crisis of logic and faith.

Also, Mormons can baptize you when you’re dead and there ain’t a damn thing you can do about it so no need to get aggressive with saving your soul now.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

How does he lack the awareness that he's fat, ugly, and disliked? Are those good traits for being elected president?

Worked for Trump. They just need Hillary to run again. 

2 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

LOL, the existence of relatively more evil people doesn't negate the existence of relatively less evil, but still evil, people.

And this thread is full of people calling Mitt evil?

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

LOL, the existence of relatively more evil people doesn't negate the existence of relatively less evil, but still evil, people.

Racism is baked into Mormonism. It’s written down in their magic books, to be read with their magic seer stones. talking joseph smith GIF by South Park

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1