2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

I gotcha man.  Just everybody is so damn touchy with any thread getting slightly political.  We can't talk about Afghanistan, Delta Variant, school, the football stadium, anything without somebody declaring "AHHH Cloak Room!"  Mea culpa.  
You're right about the inevitable veering of the thread, but for now I want to see how we can help. Lots of Cajuns on this board.  Maybe they know something concrete we can do.  But then yes, right after that we can cloak room this shit up and bitch again!  
I've never liked August.  Now I know why.

It’s the fucking daily Texan thread about hurricanes.  I know you can’t help yourself but no it’s not the place to talk about any of that.

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Lake Charles done pissed off the hurricane gods, that's for sure.

Yeah. You just drive through the damn place and can tell without leaving the freeway it's basically just never going to recover. Abandoned homes and construction projects abound. Damn near looks like a post apocalyptic landscape. 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Ugh. Living in Houston there’s obviously some degree of wanting it to go somewhere else but Louisiana does not need a major hurricane.

My unpopular opinion: The Louisiana coast should not be rebuilt and/or populated going forward, if possible.  With a warmer planet and oceans, we're going to keep seeing bad things there annually.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

My unpopular opinion: The Louisiana coast should not be rebuilt and/or populated going forward, if possible.  With a warmer planet and oceans, we're going to keep seeing bad things there annually.

Take your unfounded, fake news shit to the Cloak Room.  

Not unpopular with me. It’s the economically and ecologically sound move.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Take your unfounded, fake news shit to the Cloak Room.  

Cloak Room is where someone blames someone else for the warmer temps, and then a debate ensues about how it is/isn't influenced by people.

The *fact* that land and ocean temps are higher than they have been in my lifetime is not fake news or unfounded.

not sure if that was supposed to be a /s or not.

Dude, you're just an astro-turfing troll sent by Big Thermometer 

We're all educated men of science on here.  The oceans, if anything, are getting cooler.  I grew up in Chicago.  When the sidewalk would ice over, parents sent me out to spread salt over it so we could walk on it without slipping.  And it worked.  The icebergs and polar ice caps are melting because of the salt in the ocean water, not because of rising temps.  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Dude, you're just an astro-turfing troll sent by Big Thermometer 

We're all educated men of science on here.  The oceans, if anything, are getting cooler.  I grew up in Chicago.  When the sidewalk would ice over, parents sent me out to spread salt over it so we could walk on it without slipping.  And it worked.  The icebergs and polar ice caps are melting because of the salt in the ocean water, not because of rising temps.  

So you are responsible for it...  Well, your parents are.... and Chicago....

• Hook 'Em 1

Not true.  Also---you ever stop to notice, smart guy, that the hurricanes in the Caribbean/Gulf always rotate the same way?  Is that more of your man-made fiction?  It's because of the rotation of the Earth!  You know who's responsible for that?  Not man, it's God!  So all of your observations are explained by salt and God.  Not man-made climate change.  

I think as this storm forms that will become the major story. It should be being discussed. 

FML. I’m in Denver drinking before heading into the woods. I guess my generator won’t walk out the garage and set itself up to the transfer switch to save my freezer.

OTOH, I won’t be driving down Canal Street in a month saying,

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Could be the outer bands hitting already?

No.

There are remnants of a low that was actually part of Henri in the Atlantic off Georgia the tailed off and swept across Florida and has come West through the Gulf. It's not tropical in nature at all.

We are way, way out of Ida's influence at this point and judging by the way it's going probably won't see a wiff of Ida in texas.

• Hook 'Em 2