2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

Neighbor lost 20ft tree... I had some 4' rose bushes all but pulled out, now just lying almost flat. Can't see bottom of pool for all the leaves... but otherwise good.

We lost power around 1am... somehow I got it back at 6:30am  (that never happens.. we typically are one of the last places to see power restored). 

I knew power went out by all the homes that decided to add whole home generators after snowpocalypse.  

I mean, ABC 13 is struggling to stay on the air, showing us just random shit.  Where I’m at, the streets are starting to dry, and it’s just the wind blowing.

I’m fulling expecting my gym to reopen later today—well I’m praying they do because I’m bored since we cancelled class.  I might go clean out my car?

The storm is now projected to stall over W. Louisiana (good, NOLA could really use the rain, they've had a drought lately), then come back west, hopefully into CenTex.  Would enjoy seeing that for the rain, since this is yet another case of "too far east" to do anything in Austin.  Of course yeah, right.  But I hope anyway.

Chance of brief rain band coming through today but don't count on much if anything.

I'll keep an eye on it and hope it comes back this way - will be nothing more than a buncha clouds by then - 95% of its potency will be gone.

49 minutes ago, Xian said:

Shockingly didn’t lose power for more than 15 mins in Galveston. 

Large 80 year old privacy hedge is down. Much sucks, besides that no damage 

House in Houston was just loud as fuck for 3-4 hours from wind throwing small amounts of rain at the windows. Damage confined generally to keeping me up all night. 

Bay house looks fucked a bit more than expected from neighbor’s FaceTime this morning, though.  Looks worse than anything since Ike - although nothing like that magnitude.   Borderline insurance claim level. 

48 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

The storm is now projected to stall over W. Louisiana (good, NOLA could really use the rain, they've had a drought lately), then come back west, hopefully into CenTex.  Would enjoy seeing that for the rain, since this is yet another case of "too far east" to do anything in Austin.  Of course yeah, right.  But I hope anyway.

if that happens would it be a weekend event or before?

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

House in Houston was just loud as fuck for 3-4 hours from wind throwing small amounts of rain at the windows. Damage confined generally to keeping me up all night. 

Bay house looks fucked a bit more than expected from neighbor’s FaceTime this morning, though.  Looks worse than anything since Ike - although nothing like that magnitude.   Borderline insurance claim level. 

parks and rec humblebrag GIF

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

if that happens would it be a weekend event or before?

It's going to move west very slowly once it moves again, plus we have a high that has to get out of the way, so if you're wondering about the UT game, this all shouldn't happen until late Sunday into early next week. Shouldn't be a weather problem for the last-second squeaking out of a win over Rice.

40 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

It's going to move west very slowly once it moves again, plus we have a high that has to get out of the way, so if you're wondering about the UT game, this all shouldn't happen until late Sunday into early next week. Shouldn't be a weather problem for the last-second squeaking out of a win over Rice.

wondering if we can use it as an excuse in defeat

It turned out to be not much of a storm here.  I have some hibiscus plants in the backyard that are leaning over this morning from the wind, but that's about it. We got about 2.5 inches of rain which we kind of needed anyway.  SE Texas on the whole dodged a pretty big bullet with Nicholas.  If there hadn't been so much wind shear and dry air in the Western GOM, Nicholas could easily have blown up into a strong Cat 3.  It's fairly amazing it made it to a Cat 1 given the conditions it faced from what I have read on some weather forums I follow. 

One downed tree limb. Bunch of leaves. Bent pole on trampoline netting. No power since 8 last night (basically the whole town is without power). But it’s been pleasant outside hanging out with the kids all day. House hasn’t gotten warmer than we usually keep it during the day anyway. Gonna put some meat on the pit in a little while. No generator, but hasn’t been bad given that power has been out for the last 18 hours. I also have been going around turning on lights out of habit and feeling dumb when I do go inside. 

I was more worried about flooding rather than wind and power outage, but storm moved just enough late to keep a lot of the rain away, but bring more wind. 

Edited by Marcusshelton
Clarification

Remember the woman who said her husband was "attacked" by an alligator in the floodwaters, they found an alligator with human remains
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/us/alligator-attack-louisiana-satterlee/index.html

She better hope that none of those remains show signs of a bullet entry. Way to screw up the perfect murder.

Not all smiles over here. We’re going  into hour 8 without power. I’m listening to the Stros on a hand cranked radio and reading by lantern light. 

Two downed poles within a few blocks of my house. Decent chance we don’t have power restored until morning. 

The silver lining : I whipped an old Boy Scout recipe on the outdoor stove. It slammed pretty hard. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I’m into hour 12 without power in Westbury. Never lost power during the storm, but around 9:30 this morning it cut out for some reason. Whole neighborhood got shut off long after the storm had moved through. This is some bullshit. 

Some friends that live over there came to hang out at our house this afternoon because they had the exact same story. Very weird for it to cut off at 9:30, shit was pretty much fine by then.

Went 12-13 hours without power today, got it back around 5:30pm. Wasn’t hot outside so not the end of the world. Did have to throw some food out, we weren’t prepared to be with power that long. The forecast made it seem like a rain event was the bigger threat. So it goes.

Similar to other descriptions, some downed tree branches/limbs and at least one fence blown over in Oak Forest, nothing too bad though.

Glad this was not a serious threat to life or property for most, hope it continues that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I’m into hour 12 without power in Westbury. Never lost power during the storm, but around 9:30 this morning it cut out for some reason. Whole neighborhood got shut off long after the storm had moved through. This is some bullshit. 

Same. I worked through the morning and lunch, then a power line pole gave way down the street and knocked out power for the entire neighborhood. 

Pretty fing frustrating. It was a beautiful afternoon. The sun was shining. 

I can ask to go into the office tomorrow, but it has to go all the way up the flag pole. Its probably not worth the trouble. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Holy shit that thing fucked my world up....I live on the San Bernard River down by Sweeny and the town of Brazoria....it was as bad or worse than Ike. Big ass oak limb fell on my house and it sounded like the final fucking thunder. Wave on wave of howling winds...We were trapped on our FM road in the morning 'til the locals busted out the chainsaws and cleared out two or three big trees. Power went out before midnight night before last and might still be out; I adjourned to a crappy motel in West Columbia where the WiFi and cable were out until around noon today, but at least there was AC and lights and I could charge my phone. Scariest storm I've been through. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2