Proof that we, as the leaders of Western civilization, are fucked

Horn Under a Bad Sign

I know everyone here is a Fields Medal winner, but you don't get to that 56% number without some dumbasses on both sides.

It's sometimes peculiar how the timing/ location/ or wording of those quizzes is done.  Gotcha moments are so fun.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

I know everyone here is a Fields Medal winner, but you don't get to that 56% number without some dumbasses on both sides.

It's sometimes peculiar how the timing/ location/ or wording of those quizzes is done.  Gotcha moments are so fun.

Well, ok then, what are some of the specific questions/wordings that make this a "gotcha" thing instead of an ignorance thing? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

True, but in this case, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts the great majority are right-leaning.  Anything w/ "arab" as a part of the word scares them worse than OU scares FUPM.

7 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Well, ok then, what are some of the specific questions/wordings that make this a "gotcha" thing instead of an ignorance thing? 

Ignorance of the correct nomenclature of the numbers we use every day?  It's like the old joke about putting sodium chloride on your food.  Oh, the horror!!!

The ignorance exists. No doubt.  The polls are done to capture that.  You're telling me if the poll just asked, "Should this style of numbers be taught in our schools?"  the results would have been the same?

I’m an American. I only believe in two numbers. 

and that’s all I need!!  

Keep them muslim-y numericals away from my kids! Ban the teaching of Critical Unified Number Theory in schools. No C.U.N.T. in schools!!!!

I’ve always said 4 numbers matter…

16 drive
21 drink
65 retire
69 party

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

Ignorance of the correct nomenclature of the numbers we use every day?  It's like the old joke about putting sodium chloride on your food.  Oh, the horror!!!

The ignorance exists. No doubt.  The polls are done to capture that.  You're telling me if the poll just asked, "Should this style of numbers be taught in our schools?"  the results would have been the same?

The bigger takeaway should be that if 72% are that pig-ignorant about a basic concept like Arabic numerals, what reason do we have to believe they’re not even profoundly more ignorant regarding issues of social policy?

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

It’s right there in the article. 

Seventy-two per cent of Republican-supporting respondents said Arabic numerals should not be on the curriculum, compared with 40 per cent of Democrats. This was despite there being no significant difference in education between the two groups.

“They answer differently even though they had equal knowledge of our numerical nomenclature,” Mr Dick said. “It means that the question is about knowledge or ignorance but [also] something else – prejudice.”

so 72 vs 40%. 

my question is why would anyone be against any numeral system being taught in schools?  You may not know what Arabic numerals are, but most people know that numerals mean numbers right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

and that’s all I need!!  

Keep them muslim-y numericals away from my kids! Ban the teaching of Critical Unified Number Theory in schools. No C.U.N.T. in schools!!!!

Be forewarned that I'm stealing this and giving you no credit.  

39 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s right there in the article. 

Seventy-two per cent of Republican-supporting respondents said Arabic numerals should not be on the curriculum, compared with 40 per cent of Democrats. This was despite there being no significant difference in education between the two groups.

“They answer differently even though they had equal knowledge of our numerical nomenclature,” Mr Dick said. “It means that the question is about knowledge or ignorance but [also] something else – prejudice.”

so 72 vs 40%. 

my question is why would anyone be against any numeral system being taught in schools?  You may not know what Arabic numerals are, but most people know that numerals mean numbers right?

The main takeaways from this is how ignorant we are as a nation, and how xenophobic. The latter is more important for a political discussion. It’s why Fox’s drumbeat about the border works. It’s why immigration issues always have great potential to trip up the center and the left at the polls.

As for our widespread  ignorance in basic areas of knowledge, I blame the complete breakdown of class structure as a system of control and shaming. We celebrate being common, we revel unruliness. That led to the empowerment of stupid people in the realm of knowledge and expertise. It’s cultural decline, and isn’t something easily addressed by government. 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

and that’s all I need!!  

image.jpeg.d136e179b4b8d681e92bc48d59fa8a5c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

That's kind of the point, man. It's not that people are ignorant of a commonly used system; it's that, when you put "Arabic" in front of something, there's a negative connotation, and the reflexive reaction is, "No, I don't want that. We're America." Without having a single fucking clue what it's referring to.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

True, but in this case, I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts the great majority are right-leaning.  Anything w/ "arab" as a part of the word scares them worse than OU scares FUPM.

Seventy-two per cent of Republican-supporting respondents said Arabic numerals should not be on the curriculum, compared with 40 per cent of Democrats.

19 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah they’ll probably go attack the capitol after hearing them. 

Lol.  I didn’t say the bias was in the same direction for each word. 

22 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

January 6 destroyed American legitimacy in the eyes of the world and rightly so. There’s no going back after that abject failure and embarrassment. Thanks to Trump and his insane followers nobody respects America anymore. 

That plus Trump being Putin's gimp, betraying the kurds, losing the war in afghanistan, having Trump suggest injecting bleach and inserting UV lights into various orifices, walking out on a bunch of international agreements, impeaching Trump twice while Mitch apologized for a criminal, an endless list of other things, and showing no signs at all that we've learned anything from any of this.

Our populace become even more belligerently stupid in response. Instead of punishing Trump for inciting sedition, we let him go to Mar-A-Lago and plot further attacks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

3 hours ago, slorch said:

big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

He said the goal of the research was to “tease out prejudice among those who didn’t understand the question”.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b7vww9phqzumjvodxedw

• Like 1

Reading the article:

1. This is a few years old.

2. To both sides this thing, they also did a Big Bang one, “Should schools in America teach the creation theory of Catholic priest George Lemaitre as part of their science curriculum?” Predictably, Democrats overwhelmingly opposed it while Republicans supported it. Most likely, neither side knew what they were supporting or opposing in large numbers. Opposing Arabic numerals is dumber than missing the Big Bang reference, but just by a little bit. I'd rather none of these morons have any say in my child's education.

3. The Roman numeral puns in response to that tweet are excellent and worth the read.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Immigration- What this country has been based on for hundreds of years and is a positive.  Needs to be reformed but immigrants aren’t evil in fact they are some of the best Americans we have ever had.

Trump-Piece of Shit

Environment-Should be something both sides want to protect yet the Republicans seem to be more on the side of oil/coal/factories/pollution as opposed to figuring out better ways so we all have clean air, clean water, renewable energy and the overall well being of our planet is sustainable for the next generations to come.

i’m sure Democrats are absolutely objective about these descriptors as well.

There, was I objective.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, slorch said:

100% of college kids in Lubbock have an STD.  

Prove me wrong.