The Book of Boba Fett- Disney+ show starting December 29

mdmost

I think this series proves they should never make another Star Wars movie. It’s obviously much better suited to the weekly serial (which is in large part what inspired Lucas in the first place)

There were good parts and bad parts. A few great parts a few terrible parts. But week to week sort of smoothes out the inconsistency because if you didn’t like this one. One week from now there will be another.

Take Solo for example. Pretty mediocre as a movie. Slow it down and chop it up….probably chance it could have been a lot better.

And you didn’t wait years, spend hours in line getting lambasted by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, fork over 100 bucks for tickets snd snacks/drinks only to be completely disappointed with no quick fix.

• Hook 'Em 7

I’m content.

Boba showed up last season in Mando and in doing so everything from that point forward regarding Mando and Grogu is what lead us to Asoka and Luke.

But since that initial appearance, we’ve been asking, “how?” How did he survive the Sarlac pit and why did he have Tusken gaffi stick?

This show, smack in the middle of the Mando series, gave us that answer.

....along with live action Fennec, BK, and Cad MFN Bane.

not to mention Boba riding a Rancor.

Yes, I too hated the mod squad but taken as a whole and everything else we were given, I was entertained.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think this series proves they should never make another Star Wars movie. It’s obviously much better suited to the weekly serial (which is in large part what inspired Lucas in the first place)

There were good parts and bad parts. A few great parts a few terrible parts. But week to week sort of smoothes out the inconsistency because if you didn’t like this one. One week from now there will be another.

Take Solo for example. Pretty mediocre as a movie. Slow it down and chop it up….probably chance it could have been a lot better.

And you didn’t wait years, spend hours in line getting lambasted by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, fork over 100 bucks for tickets snd snacks/drinks only to be completely disappointed with no quick fix.

Correct! 

Screencrush had a pretty good video on why this series might've fallen flat for some people. He thought the flashbacks shouldn't have been flashbacks but instead just a straight story where we catch up with Boba after the Sarlacc and it leads us back to when he shot Bib Fortuna off the throne. You build up what happened to him and then get him to the present timeline and the reason he wants to be the crime lord makes a bit more sense. There were some aspects that I think the series didn't land like why Boba wanted to be the crime lord. The people of Mos Espa were "his people" didn't make a lot of sense to me other than he was tired of people being tools of the bigger syndicates. The sandpeople were more his people than the people he wished to rule over. To me it seemed a bit like a story they couldn't pay off on. It felt a lot like how the turn for Anakin never paid off for me. I enjoyed the series and it had a lot of cool parts but it felt like Falcon and Winter Soldier next to Mando's Wandavision. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Not sure I agree with this.

Movies work just fine if you have (a) the right story and (b) the right people telling it. Look at Rogue One. It's exactly what a standalone Star Wars film should be - take part of the SW lore and flesh it out with (mostly) new and interesting characters 

Disagree about Solo to a certain extent. At the time, I thought it was a bad idea because I thought it would be impossible to properly capture the charisma of a young Harrison Ford.  While that was certainly the case, if you can get past that, I really do feel like that movie has aged well. I've re-watched it 2-3 times in the past several months and it's really a lot of fun. In particular, Woody is fantastic as Beckett and Donald Glover is super as young Lando. The Crimson Dawn stuff was great, too.

Whenever Filoni/Faverau decide to dip their toes into making a Star Wars feature film, I have no doubt it will kick ass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Screencrush had a pretty good video on why this series might've fallen flat for some people. He thought the flashbacks shouldn't have been flashbacks but instead just a straight story where we catch up with Boba after the Sarlacc and it leads us back to when he shot Bib Fortuna off the throne. You build up what happened to him and then get him to the present timeline and the reason he wants to be the crime lord makes a bit more sense. 

yep, pretty much exactly what i said.  it's all new story to the viewer, so why show it out of sequence?

when heavy flashbacks are incorporated (in this or anything) it tells me that the writers don't have enough new story to tell.  linear storytelling almost always works better.  and that especially includes starting a show/movie with a dramatic incident and then showing a card that says "3 months earlier".  the fuck out of here with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

The Pykes aren't really supposed to be a threat because of their fighting ability so much as their ruthlessness. If the Hutts are one of the big families in organized crime in America, the Pykes are the Zetas. They could have done a better job of showing that, but the final battle is not really a good measure of them.

Right. I think they could have gone deeper into their leader and his character more. They could have also teased the droidekas on steroids like the Mando series did with the dark troopers.    It would give the viewers something to worry about for the Boba side rather than just “numbers”. The whole impending battle with the Pykes didn’t have a great impact imo. What they did to the Tuskin Raiders village, which wouldn’t have been that hard given the technological imbalance, fell short of displaying the ruthlessness they are known for. 

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yep, pretty much exactly what i said.  it's all new story to the viewer, so why show it out of sequence?

when heavy flashbacks are incorporated (in this or anything) it tells me that the writers don't have enough new story to tell.  linear storytelling almost always works better.  and that especially includes starting a show/movie with a dramatic incident and then showing a card that says "3 months earlier".  the fuck out of here with that shit.

only murders in the building says hi

I just watched the finale.  It was cool to see Black Kyrsten kicking ass with a dropfoot.

22 hours ago, YChang said:

Also enjoyed the final takedown of the bosses from Fennec

Watch it with the subtitles on.  When she hangs the hammerhead looking one, we get a [choking] and then a [bones cracking].

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

is this a memento joke or are you actually holding nolan up as an example?  if it's the latter, i don't think you're making the point you think you are.

I wouldn't call Memento, Tenet, Inception or even Interstellar very linear. So I am not sure that word means what you think it does.

5 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

I wouldn't call Memento, Tenet, Inception or even Interstellar very linear. So I am not sure that word means what you think it does.

memento was backwards, inception and interstellar were mostly linear, and tenet was steaming dogshit.

flashbacks work when you're unable to tell the story properly without them.  if you're building your story around flashbacks, they should either be part of the structure (like lost) or used as a device (like pulp fiction).  when all of the story is new, like book of boba fett, and 80% of the first two episodes features flashbacks, then it was a poor decision.  you don't have to be a columnist for screencrush to recognize it.

The only two good things about that episode were the rancor and Cad Bane.

Rodriguez has lost his mojo and can’t direct action for shit. So many shots were just a group of extras standing there randomly shooting at the green screen. Just terrible.

The fucking pigs deserved better. Why turn them into pussies that are being attacked softer and with less enthusiasm than what the Golden Girls would do? Just absolutely pathetic fight coordination if you can call it that.

29 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

memento was backwards, inception and interstellar were mostly linear, and tenet was steaming dogshit.

flashbacks work when you're unable to tell the story properly without them.  if you're building your story around flashbacks, they should either be part of the structure (like lost) or used as a device (like pulp fiction).  when all of the story is new, like book of boba fett, and 80% of the first two episodes features flashbacks, then it was a poor decision.  you don't have to be a columnist for screencrush to recognize it.

Columnist?  Try video store clerkish role guy.

Ryan Arey is my homeboy

35 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Dunkirk is a good example of non-linear. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The only two good things about that episode were the rancor and Cad Bane.

Rodriguez has lost his mojo and can’t direct action for shit. So many shots were just a group of extras standing there randomly shooting at the green screen. Just terrible.

The fucking pigs deserved better. Why turn them into pussies that are being attacked softer and with less enthusiasm than what the Golden Girls would do? Just absolutely pathetic fight coordination if you can call it that.

He was working off of Favreau's script, so the bodyguards are completely on Favreau.

Watched it again tonight with my 11, 12, & 14 yr olds girls - they absolutely loved it.

With the 2nd viewing, scooter gang still really sucks but I think if the scenes were set at night instead of daytime the whole feel and look would improve - even the mods.

All Bane did was walk past the Jawas and it was badass - but because it was at night, it just had a completely different feel to it. 

CGI just looks better in night scenes IMO.

I‘ve heard and read some criticisms about BK, the mods, and the guards just standing around in the wide open instead taking cover - those weren’t their battle positions. They were supposed to be lookouts to warn of the Pykes’ arrival but as we know, the initial attack did not come from the Pykes. So yeah, they were all easy targets.

Thought Boba and Mando should have used their jet packs longer in their initial salvo. But that scene with the 2 of them fighting side by side was worth the price of admission.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think we can all agree that scooter gang fucking sucks. Most everything else (less the first few episodes of BoBF) are awesome.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to ride one of those scooters but yeah they kind of sucked. Episodes 5, 6, and 7 saved the series, but mostly 5 and 6.

• Hook 'Em 1

This series exceeded my expectations. Was it A+? No. But a solid A.

It’s a western. In space. With a crew of great characters. Hero’s and villains. The cameos were great and I’ll take more whenever they want to put it together.

Again, Was it perfect? No. I’m ok with it.

And I hope they keep Timothy Olyphant coming back.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:37 PM, Nivek said:

My kids and i were cheering it on to eat pikes. It only munched one.

It seems Raylan Vanth died. Kind of wish Grogu stayed with Luke. Seems kind of a dick move to send him away to an unknown situation. Especially when Luke fucking did worse and Yoda didnt tell him to fuck off.

This allows them to let grogu not get killed by kylo ren. Also Luke is a terrible fucking teacher

Watched the finale without knowing it was the finale going into it…fuk. Hit me halfway through. I figured there would be at least 8 eps. 

Glad Boba finally did something.  Wish the Cad Bane fight was longer. 

Casual viewer here, it was fine and what I expected from a star wars show.  

Some of yall are never satisfied lol, expecting some deep military action scenes like Saving Private Ryan. Yo, it’s star. wars. They always shoot unlimited lasers at each other. Sometimes it hurts when it hits you and sometimes it doesn’t.  There was room for better strategy but always is. They still won. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Only thing that bothers me is that Boba is essentially a crime boss, right? Mob movie anti-hero’s always still have that bad stuff mobs do, you like them but it’s complicated. Boba seems like just a straight up good guy, doesn’t really fit the position he supposedly holds. Not a big deal I guess, just an observation. 

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I enjoyed it thoroughly. Only thing that bothers me is that Boba is essentially a crime boss, right? Mob movie anti-hero’s always still have that bad stuff mobs do, you like them but it’s complicated. Boba seems like just a straight up good guy, doesn’t really fit the position he supposedly holds. Not a big deal I guess, just an observation. 

He's a Daimyo

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Presumably, Kylo isn't even born yet. Or at best a baby. Episode 1 Anakin was too old to begin training as a Jedi. If Kylo was conceived immediately after the Battle of Endor, he should be old enough to be a part of Luke's school.

Kylo was born in 5 ABY and apparently the Boba series takes place around 9 ABY. Luke didn’t start training Kylo till he was 10 years old. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

Watched the finale without knowing it was the finale going into it…fuk. Hit me halfway through. I figured there would be at least 8 eps. 

Glad Boba finally did something.  Wish the Cad Bane fight was longer. 

Casual viewer here, it was fine and what I expected from a star wars show.  

Some of yall are never satisfied lol, expecting some deep military action scenes like Saving Private Ryan. Yo, it’s star. wars. They always shoot unlimited lasers at each other. Sometimes it hurts when it hits you and sometimes it doesn’t.  There was room for better strategy but always is. They still won. 

The issue I think we have (speaking for the collective) is that the plan sucked.  But that is OK, he was caught off-guard by a better force.  His fighters sucked, that's OK too, they are not warriors or ex-military, they are a space scooter gang.    The issues are more in-line with the leather beskar jacket that Finn had with his fight with Kylo Ren.  

The fight scenes were slow, lethargic, and seemed to be poorly executed.  They were less exciting than 1980s A-team fights where no one ever got hurt from a bullet, but from a B.A. punch.   The Rancor flipping out was a good add.  The Rancor fighting the massive droiders was fine.   The droids shooting through this wall, but not that wall is a bit harder to take.  The droiders not shooting down all of the fleeing fighters in the back with its massive guns was silly.   The pikes appearing and disappearing in the battle seemed like convenient fodder.    Cad Bane vs. Fett was great in a set-up.  Not so great in execution.   It just looked wrong.  Pigmen getting herded over the cliff was fine as well, but the execution looked lazy.  It seemed to have as much enthusiasm as my kids play-acting for a home movie we made for fun.   Actually less.  

Robert Rodriguez seems to have an 80s horror esque element to action.  It almost seems that he is zeroing in on some element in the shot and missing other details which help to sell the scene.   

The overall show is good.  It is not great.  I think Ewan as Kenobi will be great.   I think we all really enjoyed 2 episodes the most, and then a few more here and there.  I don't mind the flashbacks.  I kind of wished they delved more into the tuskans.   I kind of wish Boba was recast.   Is he the last of the Fett's?    

I think the casting off Fett is one of the main issues. He’s just a bad actor. They also wrote his whole story weirdly. This version of Fett has none of the presence or mystery of what we imagine of three original character. Plus he’s generally inept.

Basically Fennec Shand tells him what to do at every point and he just grimaces at her and then agrees. In my head, Fett was ruthlessly competent. He should have been battling demons of his past as he tries to go more legit but it feels like the character is just bouncing around without a plan and then waiting for Shand or Mando to tell him the plan. His character didn’t really develop or change at all once he left there Tuskens. 

Edited by Xminus6

5 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

I think the casting off Fett is one of the main issues. He’s just a bad actor. They also wrote his whole story weirdly. This version of Fett has none of the presence or mystery of what we imagine of three original character. Plus he’s generally inept.

Basically Fennec Shand tells him what to do at every point and he just grimaces at her and then agrees. In my head, Fett was ruthlessly competent. He should have been battling demons of his past as he tries to go more legit but it feels like the character is just bouncing around without a plan and then waiting for Shand or Mando to tell him the plan. His character didn’t really develop or change at all once he left there Tuskens. 

He was a monster in the episode of season 2 where he returned and destroyed the Stormtroopers and blew up the ship with his missile. That was the Fett we were all hoping to see. The problem is that Fett was not the Book of Boba version. I mentioned that to a buddy. It was a lot like JJ putting things in TFA and then letting the next person have at it or try to explain the why. Show Boba's motivations didn't make much sense to me given what we saw in the Mandalorian. I get they wanted to give Boba a show but it didn't feel like a fully fleshed out idea. Making him the crime lord with heart of gold just felt weird.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Kylo was born in 5 ABY and apparently the Boba series takes place around 9 ABY. Luke didn’t start training Kylo till he was 10 years old. 

So part of the trouble with Anakin was they started training him at too old of an age, so Luke doubles down and trains Kylo at an even older age? I'm guessing JJ came up with that idea?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So part of the trouble with Anakin was they started training him at too old of an age, so Luke doubles down and trains Kylo at an even older age? I'm guessing JJ came up with that idea?

I dunno who it was that decided to make Kylo start training at an older age. But I mean Luke is probably looking at it like he was a late teen when he trained with Yoda so it shouldn’t have been that big of a deal for him to start Kylo later.