• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

12 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The aggies are in a unfamiliar situation this week because this may be the first time they have ever been in a true must win game with all the pressure on them. They've never been embarrassed like that and been the talk of the national media all week. When they've wok big games at home they're usually underdogs with zero pressure and occasionally knock off a big team. If they want to be a national brand and all that comes with it then they have to win or they'll get laughed at all week again and fade back into irrelevance. Last year against Bama they had nothing to lose and played loose. My money is on the aggies living up their history and falling short when it matters the most. 

what do you mean "fade back?"

Connelly on the game

Spoiler

No. 13 Miami at No. 24 Texas A&M (9 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN App)

Texas A&M's loss to Appalachian State was one of the stories of Week 2, and justifiably so. The Mountaineers forced A&M's Haynes King to beat them, knowing he probably couldn't, and they seemingly won every big play in the game (while seemingly losing just about every first and second down). It wasn't an incredibly sustainable recipe, but it did the job.

For a while, it looked like A&M's opponent this week, Miami, was going to suffer the same fate against a different Sun Belt visitor. Southern Miss led Mario Cristobal's Hurricanes 7-3 heading into the final minute of the first half. Quarterback Tyler Van Dyke began the game just 7-for-14 for 70 yards and an interception, and second-quarter sacks and a fourth-down interception stalled drives.

Miami assuaged fears by scoring five times in six possessions and ended up cruising 30-7. Van Dyke completed 13 of his last 15 passes, and Henry Parrish Jr. rushed for 102 yards, but the drought created some doubt. Southern Miss' defense might turn out to be quite improved in 2022, but it's safe to say that Texas A&M's defense is better. Much better. "Second in defensive SP+ at the moment" better. App State converted just enough third downs to control the ball against A&M, but after the Mountaineers put up 61 points at 8.0 yards per play against North Carolina, the Aggies held them to just 17 and 3.8, respectively. Van Dyke will have to take on this defense without his most reliable receiver, too: Xavier Restrepo is out for a while with a foot injury. The return of blue-chip sophomore Jacolby George from suspension could turn out to be important.

Saturday night's big contest, which will be played at an almost certainly semi-frantic Kyle Field, will likely come down to chunk plays and easy points. You can say that about a lot of big games, obviously, but while A&M's attack has been bereft of consistency thus far, a lack of big plays has held Miami back as well. FBS teams averaged 4.8 gains of 20-plus yards in Week 2; Miami had only four such plays, and A&M had two. And again, both were playing against Group of 5 defenses. Miami's offense is infinitely more efficient than A&M's (the Canes rank second in overall success rate to A&M's 89th), but it's really hard to drive the length of the field on the Aggies.

From a pure narrative standpoint, this game is enormous. An A&M win would get Jimbo Fisher's Aggies back on track and unleash the latest round of the ever-popular "See? I told you Miami is always overrated!" narrative. But a Miami win would be even more significant, likely pushing the Hurricanes back into (or near) the AP top 10 while introducing the prospect of a 1-5 start for A&M. (The Aggies' next three games after Miami: vs. Arkansas at Jerry World, at Mississippi State, at Alabama. Yikes.)

Current line: A&M -5.5 (down from -6.5 on Sunday) | SP+ projection: A&M by 6.2 | FPI projection: Miami by 1.2

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

No ag tag so you have to think so. And not just a horn trolling, all the sec hates them too. 

The whole ag tag thing cracks me up.

Their inability to smell bullshit and identify trolls has required that they have to prove their bona fides to each other up front. On a fan board.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I mean, so did Sark last year [ducks].

Yeah he did.  And we went 5-7.  Thompson was (and is) better than Card so it was the right move.

If Thompson could have the right attitude, I would kill to have him as Ewers' backup right about now.  I am deeply, deeply concerned about Card's pocket presence and holding the ball too long when live bullets are firing. QBs with that issue can quickly keep overmatched opponents in games.

Which is why I want to see what Wright can do tomorrow.

Thompson has a career passer rating of 158, at 8.5 per attempt, and a 3:1 TD to INT ratio.  I don't believe Card will ever sniff those type of numbers. Would love to be wrong/

(AND I AM NOT SAYING I AM SAD CASEY T LEFT -- he apparently was poison).  But on the field, as a backup QB to Ewers, I would love to have Casey Thompson production.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Max Johnson is QB1 now. So Haynes King will transfer. Max will do better than King but lose a game he shouldn’t. 

I feel like I’ve seen this movie before 

Someone needs to copy Liucci tweets about Ewers being named QB1 due to booster interference, change the name to A&M and King/Johnson, and tag him on twitter.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Max Johnson is QB1 now. So Haynes King will transfer. Max will do better than King but lose a game he shouldn’t. 

I feel like I’ve seen this movie before 

I guess I don't understand.  I was told that all of their losses last season were because of the injury to Haynes King?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Connelly on the game

Hide contents

Texas A&M's loss to Appalachian State was one of the stories of Week 2, and justifiably so. The Mountaineers forced A&M's Haynes King to beat them, knowing he probably couldn't, and they seemingly won every big play in the game (while seemingly losing just about every first and second down). It wasn't an incredibly sustainable recipe, but it did the job.

App St ran 82 plays (to 38 for aggy) and had a 41:29 to 18:17 advantage in time of possession. Their game plan seemed pretty sustainable to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

App St ran 82 plays (to 38 for aggy) and had a 41:29 to 18:17 advantage in time of possession. Their game plan seemed pretty sustainable to me.

That is a ridiculous disparity!  That's the kind of shit Army tries to do to people with the wishbone.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I’ve wondered how they confirm that.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they have to send the mods a pic or something of themselves with their diploma. I dunno. I tried to sign up years ago when they still played us (OK State) and they just ignored me. I just wanted to tell them how nice their fans were that helped my find my way into the stadium and how proud I'd be if my kids would attend atm. 😆

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah he did.  And we went 5-7.  Thompson was (and is) better than Card so it was the right move.

If Thompson could have the right attitude, I would kill to have him as Ewers' backup right about now.  I am deeply, deeply concerned about Card's pocket presence and holding the ball too long when live bullets are firing. QBs with that issue can quickly keep overmatched opponents in games.

Which is why I want to see what Wright can do tomorrow.

Thompson has a career passer rating of 158, at 8.5 per attempt, and a 3:1 TD to INT ratio.  I don't believe Card will ever sniff those type of numbers. Would love to be wrong/

(AND I AM NOT SAYING I AM SAD CASEY T LEFT -- he apparently was poison).  But on the field, as a backup QB to Ewers, I would love to have Casey Thompson production.

No, no, no. I'd rather ride with Wright as the backup than the Thompson experience Part 2. He's a fucking horrible QB. 4-7 at Texas and 1-2 at Nebraska. Your stats lack the context that the overall team results show.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, JMFP said:

I think I remember reading somewhere that they have to send the mods a pic or something of themselves with their diploma. I dunno. I tried to sign up years ago when they still played us (OK State) and they just ignored me. I just wanted to tell them how nice their fans were that helped my find my way into the stadium and how proud I'd be if my kids would attend atm. 😆

If so, I must have gotten in prior to that requirement. I haven't used the account in years and it has probably been deactivated. Dammit.