Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

I had some pretty decent Tex-Mex in Canton, Ohio one time. The entire hole in the wall restaurant and staff seemed like it was teleported out of the San Antonio Southside.

john travolta GIF

I’ve found a decent place here in Toledo in which everyone working there speaks Spanish and about 1/2 only speak it.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

I went to a “Tex Mex” place in Grand Rapids once. The waiter told us the best thing on the menu was the “wet burrito” and everyone in the building pronounced queso as qway-so.

I asked for a bowl of queso in California one time and they brought me a bowl of shredded cheese.

i asked for a bowl of queso in the mountains one time and they brought me a metric ton of rico’s nacho cheese.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I asked for a bowl of queso in California one time and they brought me a bowl of shredded cheese.

i asked for a bowl of queso in the mountains one time and they brought me a metric ton of rico’s nacho cheese.

Had same thing happen in California. Had to then say chili con queso. They still don’t know wtf.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But if I can eat Tex Mex I will always eat Tex Mex, when I go to a Tex Mex place. His answer made sense. He was going there (all the time) as a kid so probably not by choice. 

My wife's Dad was born & raised in San Antonio.  He often orders burgers at TexMex joints.  It's a thing.  I tried one once -- maybe at Karam's? can't remember -- it was legit.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a good rule. Worst ever is Tortilla Factory in Harrisburg. Disgusting. HomeState in LA is ok, but that’s an exception.
It seethes my soul when I see New Yorkers or Californians act like they know good BBQ or Tex-Mex.

My company is based in San Diego. I’ve lived out there. They are typical Cali assholes about Mexican food and disdainful about TexMex. “It’s SO authentic here.” Sorry a foot over the border and it’s now Americanized dickbrain. They think the only thing Mexicans eat are street tacos.

The great burger at many TexMex joints is a thing. A lot have a killer CFS too. And I never hardly get them because I’m eating cheese enchiladas, tamales, tacos.

I’ve lived in Denver, Portland San Francisco. There is now a Chuy’s in Westminster. In the Bay Area we drove two hours when a On the Border opened near San Jose. They had yankeefied the menu and californicated it. We usually went to Chevy’s in Bay Area and Portland. It was terrible but it was like an alcoholic drinking hand sanitizer to get a fix. Bad as it was. In Denver we usually sought out places selling New Mexican food which were abundant. Regular colo-Mex is very midwestern shit like you’d find in Nebraska.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, I was sent to Mumbai for a month to work on helping close an LNG deal.  Added bonus was that I hate Indian food besides naan.  So after two weeks of the same restaurant, sheepishly walked into the Tex-Mex restaurant at the Oberoi hotel (best hotel in country).  For a country that doesn't do beef well, imagine how they did beef fajitas.  Terrible terrible stuff.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Not if you drank 10 of them. 

Yeah, no.

Unless you drank 10 of them in under an hour, you just felt bloated and borderline diabetic. Did you really think those things had much alcohol in them?

I had friends that worked there, those $1 margaritas were 98% water and sweet/sour mix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Yeah, I was sent to Mumbai for a month to work on helping close an LNG deal.  Added bonus was that I hate Indian food besides naan.  So after two weeks of the same restaurant, sheepishly walked into the Tex-Mex restaurant at the Oberoi hotel (best hotel in country).  For a country that doesn't do beef well, imagine how they did beef fajitas.  Terrible terrible stuff.

demolition-man-rat-burger.gif

16 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Even "Faux News" is railing on aggy. lol...

.... and Neil Cavuto's show is pretty good programming imho (no CR please)... 

Guessing this has ole jizz jar in a tizzy.. 

JFC, when A&M has lost FoxNews...what a sad day for them.  It's like the Corps of Cadets losing their sponsorship from Oath Keepers & Hoffman-LaRoche Px

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

So he signed as a 4-star? I never knew he'd ever gotten to 5-star status because by the time I started paying attention to him, he was sucking balls in his senior year at L'view.

They're trying to rate thousands of kids across the country playing against competition that is extremely difficult to compare to other regions/classifications. You're going to miss on lot of evaluations. I would point to the studies that show teams that get the highest proportion of 4/5 stars tend to be the elite of the elite college football programs. That means something.

Aggy lobbied to convince people to move him way up in the rankings. They used their media honks to “make it so!”

We discussed it at the time. It was because Longview won a state championship with him distributing the ball to playmakers coupled with camp. He HAD to be a five star player. Of course no one could point to anything he did on the field to win that championship. Longview out-athleted their competition. They weren’t the same team his senior year. He did not impress. 

32 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Mumbai, the Houston of India.  If you don’t like Indian food that place is miserable. 

Why would you eat a cheeseburger at a place that has even moderate Tex Mex?  Does not compute. 

The best burger I’ve ever had was at a place called Browns Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio. My grandfather made us eat there every time we drove from Houston to Cotulla. Everyone else got the enchiladas with diced onions on top. The burger was better. It’s a great story, and I tell it so well.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

The best burger I’ve ever had was at a place called Browns Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio. My grandfather made us eat there every time we drove from Houston to Cotulla. Everyone else got the enchiladas with diced onions on top. The burger was better. It’s a great story, and I tell it so well.

Yeah, there was this Tex-Mex dive near where I grew up.  South Side of Chicago, called Nuevo Leon.  I only ate two things there, the chorizo tacos for breakfast after church.  Or for dinner on other nights, the cheeseburger.  And it was fucking phenomenal.  Even my mom like the cheeseburger and she hated every fucking cheeseburger in the tri-state area.  The place literally inspired her to open up her own tex-mex restaurant out in the suburbs after the Marty Robins' song...Rosa's Cantina.  About ten years ago, I was visiting family back in Chicago and in the course of a few hours, we drove by the house my parents brought me home to from the hospital...and it was demo'd and a mcmansion erected in its place.  I then drove us to the southside to eat at Nuevo Leon.  But it had recently been torched for insurance money.  But I'd like to think that cheeseburger grease played a small part in the mafia fraud.  One by one, how old friends are gone...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Re: Don Pedro's on SW Military in San Antonio...Best Mexican food you'll ever find,  and the best damned cheeseburgers and fries you'll ever find.

Holy shit, have not thought about that place in 25 years.  Have some rep.  My cousin from S.A. took me there a few times and it slammed.  Even friends and family in the area didn't know about it until he told us all about it.  Damn.  Is it still open?  I'm sure I'll be blamed for this thread derail despite having nothing to do with it but it'll be worth it if I can hit that place up next time I'm down that way.  Wow, takes me back.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Holy shit, have not thought about that place in 25 years.  Have some rep.  My cousin from S.A. took me there a few times and it slammed.  Even friends and family in the area didn't know about it until he told us all about it.  Damn.  Is it still open?  I'm sure I'll be blamed for this thread derail despite having nothing to do with it but it'll be worth it if I can hit that place up next time I'm down that way.  Wow, takes me back.  Thanks.

Fuck it, I'll take the blame.  Great Mexican food posts fit in everywhere, after all  this is Texas goldangit!

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

+whatever on the burgers at Tex-Mex places, almost always quite-good to excellent.  As to why?  I eat Tex-Mex all the time, I can get it any time I want.  Sometimes I just want a good burger.

Gringo breakfast at Tex-Mex places is similarly tasty.  Maybe something about a well-seasoned flattop? 

Rural South Texas.  The taqueria is often the Burger Joint and the pancake houses.  I had a pretty decent CFS at a taqueria in George West a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

texmex CFS.....

this will be heresy to anyone that's younger than 50.....

but back in the day in the 80s Trudy's made a Milanesa and cheese-stuffed mashed taters that was the fucking bomb

not Strawn level CFS but damn close

+++++

cheeseburgers.....

there is a reason the first version of this site labeled the food forum GM Steakhouse

i will go to my grave knowing i tasted The Work of God

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The great burger at many TexMex joints is a thing. A lot have a killer CFS too. And I never hardly get them because I’m eating cheese enchiladas, tamales, tacos.

The only TexMex my son really likes is fajitas (he’s adopted and probably a commie) so whenever we go to Juarez on Gessner he gets the CFS.  It looks pretty good and likes it.

If you eat TexMex outside of Texas you deserve what you get.  Although I did frequent the Lone Star Cafe in NYC when I lived in Manhattan in the mid ‘80s, but anyplace that you could hear Kinky and Asleep at the Wheel play in NYC is a pretty good place.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

texmex CFS.....

this will be heresy to anyone that's younger than 50.....

but back in the day in the 80s Trudy's made a Milanesa and cheese-stuffed mashed taters that was the fucking bomb

not Strawn level CFS but damn close

+++++

cheeseburgers.....

there is a reason the first version of this site labeled the food forum GM Steakhouse

i will go to my grave knowing i tasted The Work of God

I hate that I can’t eat G/M again and that many posters here never even had the opportunity to eat there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, I knew some guys who were taken to a Tex-Mex restaurant in Rochester, MN on a business trip. They said anyone who says they've ever had truly bad Tex-Mex in Austin should shut up and try doing that just once. 

Went to a highly recommended 'Mexican' place in SoCal back in the 80s with my parents. we asked for some chips and queso and they looked at us like we were aliens. They came back a few minutes later with a bowl of Doritos and some melted cheddar. I kid you not. It was surreal.

Back in the late 1980s I was driving up to NYC for something and we stopped for lunch at a Chi-Chi's off one of the far south exits in New Jersey. I ordered nachos for the appetizer as all good Texans are wont to do. However, it was just melted cheese and chips. I asked, "Where the peppers at?" They looked at me oddly and took it back to the kitchen. When it came back to the table they had sprinkled diced bell peppers on top. I almost pulled what today would be called a "Karen." My girlfriend was not happy with the way I acted, but hell, what Mexican place doesn't have a single jalapeno? No wonder they went under in 2004. 

Anyway, aggy is weird and I revel in everything bad that happens to them, especially when it is of their own making. 

59 minutes ago, wood said:

Went to a highly recommended 'Mexican' place in SoCal back in the 80s with my parents. we asked for some chips and queso and they looked at us like we were aliens. They came back a few minutes later with a bowl of Doritos and some melted cheddar. I kid you not. It was surreal.

Had a similar thing happen with a co-worker in San Luis Potisi.  Her first time in Mexico.  She wanted queso.  I tried telling her that’s an American thing. Tex-Mex but not real Mexican, but she wasn’t hearing it.  They brought her  plate of grated cheese.  She insisted they melt it so they put that same plate in the microwave and brought it back to her.  It was embarrassing to be at the same table.  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Can someone please talk about the Mexican food in college station in the hopes that we might be able to get this thread back on track?

Let's throw it waaaay off track.  Back in the early 80s a coworker of mine from Connecticut had his brother in law visit him in Houston.  He totally fell in love with Tex-Mex, Mexican food. Upon returning to Yankeeville he starred a Tex-Mex restaurant that served a bazillion pounds of frozen burritos shipped to him by my coworker. Yankeeville couldn't get enough and  he wound up a very rich man.  .20c burritos and sold them for around 3.00-3.50 if I remember correctly,  and could not keep up with the demand.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 3