• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I mean, as impressive as it is having twenty or thirty 5* defensive linemen on one roster, it does render the rest of the roster a little... uneven...

Last season they were also 4th ranked as the "overall most talented" in the 247 composite and as everyone knows finished the season unranked in the AP. The 247 metric seems a little suspicious or lacking. Also aggy may be a victim of their own star-fucking and not bother with their own evals. https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Last season they were also 4th ranked as the "overall most talented" in the 247 composite and as everyone knows finished the season unranked in the AP. The 247 metric seems a little suspicious or lacking. Also aggy may be a victim of their own star-fucking and not bother with their own evals. https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

it literally could not be more straight forward about what it includes.

image.png.b63fa5ea24c35213a4a91336bb1129b4.png 

this is long but i will spoiler it - they give the actual formula they use and explain it.

Team Ranking Explanation

• Spoiler
    • The Formula
    • Team Ranking Explanation
    • where c is a specific team's total number of commits and Rn is the 247Sports Composite Rating of the nth-best commit times 100.
    • Explanation
    • In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.
    • Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a Gaussian distribution formula (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.
    • Readers familiar with the Gaussian distribution formula will note that we use a varying value for σ based on the standard deviation for the total number of commits between schools for the given sport. This standard deviation creates a bell curve with an inflection point near the average number of players recruited per team.
    • Below is a graphical representation of how our formula works. You can see that the area under the curve gets smaller both as the rating for a commit decreases and as the number of total commits for a school increases. The y-axis in this graph represents the percentage weight of the score that gets applied to an overall team ranking.
    • team_rankings.gif

Edited by NoName

10 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

So is a thorough drubbing of ULM enough to get the rollercoaster climbing again? The early season setback came earlier than usual this year.

Some believe so...........https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3401741/2    It might of been done as a troll but some of the faithful believe. 

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yes but using it to say aTm has one of the most talented cfb rosters is a lazy, garbage take. And there are multiple reasons why that's the case.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by Formula 1

guy, it literally is what it is. they have been doing it for years and they have the stats back a long time.

based on star ranking, using the 247 composite, A&M has the 4th highest team talent composite score in the country. that's all it is and that's all it's trying to say. it isn't saying it's the 4th best team in the country, just that they are 4th in the team talent composite.

image.png

55 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

So is a thorough drubbing of ULM enough to get the rollercoaster climbing again? The early season setback came earlier than usual this year.

It was a simple scheduling mistake by Scott Woodward years ago. Jimbo told him to schedule an AAC team, but Scott thought he said ACC.   

Oh and this is gold:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3402205

Can the Bama of the past 2 weeks beat ANYONE in the SEC ??

Ole Miss… Not likely
MSU… Maybe
A&M… Not likely
Arky…. Not Likely
UT… Not likely
LSU… Not likely
UK…. Not likely
Auburn… Not likely…

• Haha 1

@Brisketexan You must not have watched the Joel Klatt clip in on this page where he goes off about the metric and amplifies its importance. What I'm saying is commentators/ap poll voters, and not just Joel Klatt, think it's meaningful. However, there's no reason to think it's a meaningful metric, especially when used without any context.

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

@Brisketexan You must not have watched the Joel Klatt clip in on this page where he goes off about the metric and amplifies its importance. What I'm saying is commentators/ap poll voters, and not just Joel Klatt, think it's meaningful. However, there's no reason to think it's a meaningful metric, especially when used without any context.

????

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

You must not have watched the Joel Klatt clip in on this page where he goes off about the metric and amplifies its importance. What I'm saying is commentators/ap poll voters, and not just Joel Klatt, think it's meaningful. However, there's no reason to think it's a meaningful metric, especially when used without any context.

you must have meant to tag me.

the metric could not be more clear about what it is and isn't man. it has a ton of value and honestly is the ONLY way to compare two teams "recruiting talent" side by side. is it perfect? no. but is it shit and does it have no value? absolutely not. come on!

the metric exists to show what is on campus and compare, at a pretty low level, the "talent" one school has vs another schools.

it does nothing to show who develops well and who doesn't.

it does nothing to say what teams are going to win and who will not (A&M/Clemson/Texas are 4/5/6 in that composite, Oregon is in the top 10)

the ONLY thing it is trying to do is shown is on the sub headline of the page

Recruiting Talent in College powered by 247Sports Composite

image.thumb.png.1e77052b81adb494cefe8d970c4901ca.png

247 or whoever publishes that list can't control how it's used. I see your point about it having value if used with critical thinking. What does a high talent level according to these ratings mean for a team that's losing? Is the rating wrong, is the coaching shit, is the talent imbalanced as at A&M.

A&M chooses to repeat over and over again that they have the talent to win it all. Their source is this rating which they hold as absolute because they think it makes them look good. The usual dull-minded sports guys have done likewise to a degree, but I think I mainly hear this talent rating system used to describe the great talent at A&M. 

Any other team talking about the ranking of their team in this rating system? I had no idea we were top ten. It's a good marker for how we're recruiting, but we all know it's peformance that counts.

• Hook 'Em 2

jimbo is starting to seem like a cult leader who fools everyone from the big donors to the people who sign over their disability checks into giving him tens of millions of dollars so he can accomplish very little and just whine about not being given a fair shake by the media and pollsters and officials and the other "team" and his own back-stabbing staff, and his administrators and rule-breakers and pundits and losers.  

Edited by YGIFS

51 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

jimbo is starting to seem like a cult leader who fools everyone from the big donors to the people who sign over their disability checks into giving him tens of millions of dollars so he can accomplish very little and just whine about not being given a fair shake by the media and pollsters and officials.  

I always figured most cult leaders got into the gig simply to get laid a lot, so they craft a narrative to further that goal. Jimbo somehow misread the memo and now its his wife that gets plowed on the regular. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I always figured most cult leaders got into the gig simply to get laid a lot, so they craft a narrative to further that goal. Jimbo somehow misread the memo and now its his wife that gets plowed on the regular. 

Is that like a SEC known thing or just our own surly banter?  If true, that's another curious thing that cult leaders seem to have in common.  While they do go out and use their charm and money and power to persuade to pull extra trim...their wives are frequently garbling massive amounts of cock on the side as well.  Man, I know we make jokes about Aggie being a cult but the further they go down this rabbit hole with Jimbo, the more parallels I see to other modern-day cultish idolatry in other walks of life in Texans.  

Signs and Wonders as Cormac would say.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/18/2023 at 6:04 PM, YGIFS said:

jimbo is starting to seem like a cult leader who fools everyone from the big donors to the people who sign over their disability checks into giving him tens of millions of dollars so he can accomplish very little and just whine about not being given a fair shake by the media and pollsters and officials and the other "team" and his own back-stabbing staff, and his administrators and rule-breakers and pundits and losers.  

Just wait till he charters the planes to take them to spring camp down in south america and serves them his special maroon koolaid... 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, General Specific said:

IDK.

When does aggy ever shut the fuck up?
a) a win against them,
b) a loss against them,
c) any other SEC team wins,
d) any Texas win,
e) any Texas loss,
f) any aggy loss,
g) any aggy win,
h) never!,
i ) whoop,
j) all the above.

Advantage aggy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, General Specific said:

IDK.

When does aggy ever shut the fuck up?
a) a win against them,
b) a loss against them,
c) any other SEC team wins,
d) any Texas win,
e) any Texas loss,
f) any aggy loss,
g) any aggy win,
h) never!,
i ) whoop,
j) all the above.

Football Jumping GIF by CBeebies HQ

16 hours ago, Scholz said:

They're starting to get scared of Bama, switching from "Bama sucks, teeyewe beat them..." to "they'll be really good in 3 weeks when we play them..." 

Such gaping pussies.  🤣

Lulz at the aggy saying that they will continue to struggle with BOB as the OC and when called on it says nonetheless his points stand

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ousux said:
4 minutes ago, Hozz said:
Holy shit that Auburn Football tweet.  Hilarious.

It's a shame Auburn sucks many types of ass in the game of American football. Cam Newton and his dad aren't walking through that door any time soon.

They sucked last year too, but still managed to beat the ags.  This game will be a tremendous pillow fight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1