Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

Some mention on an "On Texas Football" podcast that there might be some talks between LR's people and aggy.  I'm wondering if usc is willing to reduce/waive the buyout and let LR leave ???

One gooner I know (not usually that reliable) says LRs wife and kids are not happy in California...  

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

49 minutes ago, NoName said:

he's not on the hot seat. his buyout is 60-90m and he is like 2 years into a 10 year $110m guaranteed contract.

USC isn't A&M or anyone else who is going to eat 60m+ to buyout a football coach.

you think they are going to fire him next year? christ are you a helobious sock?

It's as if these guaranteed high dollar contracts cause coaches to lose focus and not care as much

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Some mention on an "On Texas Football" podcast that there might be some talks between LR's people and aggy.  I'm wondering if usc is willing to reduce/waive the buyout and let LR leave ???

One gooner I know (not usually that reliable) says LRs wife and kids are not happy in California...  

Throwing big bucks at a big name coach who has burned down his current program and is on the hot seat there?  Who would do something that stupid?  Oh, right.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Throwing big bucks at a big name coach who has burned down his current program and is on the hot seat there?  Who would do something that stupid?  Oh, right.

In hindsight, we probably should have figured out a way to con aggy into "stealing" our NC winning coach away from us after they fired Sherman.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Yep, I was pissed when I showed up with my realtor and saw how far of a walk it would be. I said no deal.

Bet LR can barely see the ocean from the putting green.

Edited by TOR
too many ways to fall

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

OU -> USC -> Texum makes for a solid career trajectory.

I think Riley wants the Chargers job. Coaching Herbert and those WRs would be a good fit. 

Is the NFL Dumb enough to bring him in as a head coach. Didn't Arizona take one for the team to prove that is a bad idea? I hope he stays at USC and burns it to the ground. Anyone who didn't predict this failure wasn't paying attention. I didn't think it would be this soon but still funny. Dude got paid though.

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

He probably should have rented...

All coaches should rent. 

That’s one of the reasons I liked Rick Majerus, the former Ute and Marquette coach. The dude coached at Utah for 15 years and lived in a hotel the whole time.

That’s exactly what all revenue sport coaches should do. It’s a matter of time until they’re fired or take another job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/19/2023 at 12:45 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Next season's schedule.  I see a lot of losses:

Sept. 1

LSU

Las Vegas, Nev.

No. 13, 6-2

Sept. 7

Utah State

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum

3-5

Sept. 14

BYE

Sept. 21

Michigan

Ann Arbor, Mich.

No. 2, 8-0

Sept. 28

Wisconsin

5-3

Oct. 5

Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minn.

5-3

Oct. 12

Penn State

No. 9, 7-1

Oct. 19

Maryland

College Park, Md.

5-3

Oct. 26

Rutgers

6-2

Nov. 2

Washington

Seattle, Wash.

No. 5, 8-0

Nov. 9

BYE

Nov. 16

Nebraska

5-3

Nov. 23

UCLA

Pasadena, Calif.

No. 20, 6-2

Nov. 30

Notre Dame

No. 12, 7-2

It took more more time than I am comfortable admitting for the thought, "jeez--USC's nonconference schedule is really Big10 heavy next year" to pass through my head.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I am not a contract lawyer , but I'd imagine if USC and Lincoln Mutually want to change the contract to let him go to A&M they can do that.

I'm 100% sure aggy would agree to take over the remaining years on Riley's contract.  Those idiots would immediately make a t-shirt with Riley's record against Texas.

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t see how aggy could afford him. He’s reportedly making $11M/yr with a $80M+ buyout. 

You sly son of a bitch.  Aggy gonna read this, think you called them poor, and offer LR 12mm guaranteed just to show you they have more money than big brother.  

Well played.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Is this LR to atm a real rumor?  I see nothing on Trojan boards.  And they were all abuzz on Sunday with fire CLR after we whooped 'em up.

I mean Lincoln Riley is in the top 5 coaches I would love to see them hire (along with Dabo, Prime, Kiffin, etc) but I don't think the BMA are going to bite on something that would bring the lulz so we may be in a down cycle and just get standard aggy disappointment for the next coach until they fire him and then go full panic mode and reach to hire the next cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I don’t see how aggy could afford him. He’s reportedly making $11M/yr with a $80M+ buyout. 

Yeah. A legit rumor is still just a rumor. LR isn't gonna bail on USC after two years.

Probably just wishcasting from bmds.  I can see them wanting a Riley type to match wits with Sark, in the same way Riley was one of the reasons CDC wanted Sark.

5 hours ago, otisdog said:

Calling that house "ocean front" is quite the stretch....waters about a 1/2 mile away. It's a big estate in one of the denser developed areas of PV....still nice, though.

Palos Verdes Estates -the views from the north side of the peninsula to redondo beach are epic. 

But goddamn, that’s a rough commute to USC everyday as opposed to driving around norman.

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I mean Lincoln Riley is in the top 5 coaches I would love to see them hire (along with Dabo, Prime, Kiffin, etc) but I don't think the BMA are going to bite on something that would bring the lulz so we may be in a down cycle and just get standard aggy disappointment for the next coach until they fire him and then go full panic mode and reach to hire the next cycle.

You're forgetting one BIG point - Daddy will be home next year.  It would be unfortunate if aggy lost the last game against us in the Rig12, and the first against us in the SEC.  

I could see a t-shirt with this, but with maybe an AtM logo over the woman and a Longhorns logo over Gordon Ramsey.

gordon-ramsay-idiot-sandwich.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

But goddamn, that’s a rough commute to USC everyday as opposed to driving around norman.

PV is a rough commute to anywhere...it's amazing how remote it is from the rest of socal. But once you're home, the remoteness is quite appreciated, as is the climate. I know many people who have lived in socal their whole life and have never been there.

48 minutes ago, otisdog said:

PV is a rough commute to anywhere...it's amazing how remote it is from the rest of socal. But once you're home, the remoteness is quite appreciated, as is the climate. I know many people who have lived in socal their whole life and have never been there.

It’s like LR spending his entire head coaching career without ever being at a defensive team meeting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

It is oddly remote, and the south side of the peninsula is oddly sparsely populated.  Then you pop up in the port of LA. I’m in the logistics software biz and found the drive on the 47 over the port fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lincoln Riley is a thin-skinned douchebag, but he's not aggy stupid and he's not going to take a job in College-fucking-Station. 

If he's really going to leave USC after only two years, I'm guessing its for the Chargers or another NFL team, because the league has indeed shown itself to be aggy-stupid when it comes to head coaching hires.

Lincoln does seem like he'd fit better in the NFL than college tbh. Hates recruiting and having more mature/professional players may help alleviate his issues with team toughness/discipline. 

And yeah, Chargers with those weapons would be a good fit for him. Could easily open up this offseason too.