Fight breaks out at 2A Texas basketball game- player and fans

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

I did not know that you at so adept at diagnosing a person’s psychological make up, financial and social status along with their world view by watching a 45 second YouTube video. 

Color me impressed.  

Did your dad make bail?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am impressed. Just the other day I was reminiscing that in my teens, first out in the world, I'd meet mean-ass, I mean like alligator-snappin-turtle mean-ass old white guys old enough to be retirees who were ready to throw down and kick ass when some smart ass like me would roll into their smoke-stack mill town talking any punk-rock sass.

I didn't like them at the time, but was sad that they seemed to have gone extinct. They were assholes but they occupied an ecological niche.

And now I see live coelacanths in Petrolia. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You try watching a six year old's sporting event without alcohol. Not sorry.

"Hey kid, nice game!  Listen, what is the craft cocktail situation here between games?  Tell your Mom, she can come sit by me if she wants.  Also, your team sucks." 

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The first year my younger sister played basketball I had the pleasure of attending a 5OT 2-0 nail biter.  Alcohol would have improved that experience.

Was this game coached by Rick Barnes and Chris Beard?? 2 points ??

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

My mother would be so obnoxious at my ymca boys basketball games, I'd travel on purpose to get pulled off the court.

8th grade bball team had a mother who was loud and obnoxious, yelling at other players, the ref, other teams parents. 

opponent player was dribbling and stepped out of bounds. she was in the first row of seats. it happened right in front her. ref misses the call and continues dribbling. she yells at the ref, "Ref, he was OUT OF BOUNDS. REF, he was so for out of bounds, he was BEHIND THE BLEACHERS!!!!!" everyone busts out laughing, even the refs. coach even starts laughing. 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:21 PM, Superhero said:

All things considered, pretty spry for a 67 year-old white guy living in North Texas / South Oklahoma.

I don't think the dude that sucker punches the kid is the 67yo, I believe its a student from the other team.  The 67yo is probably the guy in black with the hat that comes at the player in the first couple of seconds.  A comment from the video said the old guys wife was trash talking the bench the whole game and when the player said something the old guy came at him.

2 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Nothing compares to the look on a kid’s face when his mom is in tears begging and screaming at him to “Just throw a strike.”

Bitch- you think I’m trying to skip these balls off the plate and throw behind the batter’s head?

Oooh those are bad memories.  They start kid pitch a year or two early in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, davidg said:

I don't think the dude that sucker punches the kid is the 67yo, I believe its a student from the other team.  The 67yo is probably the guy in black with the hat that comes at the player in the first couple of seconds.  A comment from the video said the old guys wife was trash talking the bench the whole game and when the player said something the old guy came at him.

People suck uh-lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Sounds about right.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

8th grade bball team had a mother who was loud and obnoxious, yelling at other players, the ref, other teams parents. 

opponent player was dribbling and stepped out of bounds. she was in the first row of seats. it happened right in front her. ref misses the call and continues dribbling. she yells at the ref, "Ref, he was OUT OF BOUNDS. REF, he was so for out of bounds, he was BEHIND THE BLEACHERS!!!!!" everyone busts out laughing, even the refs. coach even starts laughing. 

I wish my mother had that much bball awareness. All she did was scream like a lunatic the entire time I was on the court. 

No love like a mothers I suppose.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I wish my mother had that much bball awareness. All she did was scream like a lunatic the entire time I was on the court. 

No love like a mothers I suppose.

My wife, as it is for soccer with basketball.  Has a very limited but passionate sports vocabulary

SHOOT!

SHOOT!

SHOOT!

Quite the experience being with her each game.

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The 3 worst, scariest words in the English language ..... (1st season) kid pitch baseball.

<Get off My Yard Warning>

When did they start letting kids steal year one? I swear it was painful ... walk ... steal, steal, steal / score. Repeat until the five-run rule.

<Trigger Warning>

Spoiler

Baseball moms are the worst. Ratio of yelling to knowledge is terrible.

I've umped a ton of little league games over the years, as well as coached my son's teams.   I started that process as a well adjusted, productive member of society with a positive outlook on life and my fellow man.  I now hate everything about existence and hope all parents of young athletes die painfully in a fire so their children can be free of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, RPM said:

I umpired LL and Pony League one year to give back to my community. You know, for the kids.

200.gif

<CSB Warning>

Spoiler

Played a tournament in rural Oklahoma a couple of summers ago. Ump looked like Kacey and no shit was wearing jeans, boots, and a buckle. Poor kid had no idea what he was doing ... I think he might have been the BF of the "real ump."

I've umped a ton of little league games over the years, as well as coached my son's teams.   I started that process as a well adjusted, productive member of society with a positive outlook on life and my fellow man.  I now hate everything about existence and hope all parents of young athletes die painfully in a fire so their children can be free of them.

I mules a lot for my younger brothers. I had a coach and a grandparent want to fight me over calling a kid out. Ridiculous.
  • Hook 'Em 1

i coach a low key 8th grade rec league team.  I got a new player this season who is pretty good, but his dad yells 'encouragement' the whole game.  Kid is just stone faced out there.  no smile after a good play or grimace after a turnover.  I seriously just want him to smile 1 time.  This is just a league to get more reps for the kids and idgaf if we win or lose but only that they execute what i ask them to do and work to get better.  So after the latest game where we lost, i get an email from the kid talking about how 'he' feels he could have done better blah, blah blah.  I could just picture his dad holding him at gun point writing that email.  

This was the first time i really had to hear his dad in the stands as it was the first loss of the season, but we'll see how asking him to tone it down goes.  I just imagine bad how his baseball team and school basketball games are.

9 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Nothing compares to the look on a kid’s face when his mom is in tears begging and screaming at him to “Just throw a strike.”

Bitch- you think I’m trying to skip these balls off the plate and throw behind the batter’s head?

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I smoked a lot of weed before those games.  I took deep, deep breaths, just sat back, and felt bad for the coaches.

You just summed up my entire little league experience...

One of my friends I grew up with  umpired LL games during summer break while in college. 

He spoke of the usual crazy parents complaining, abusing him and offering the infrequent and toothless threat.   My friend was a big old boy that could easily defend himself and hurt people if he wanted.

His most unique ejection was a particularly drunken fan that was out of his mind one evening.  The guy was really loud, profane and inconsolable over the strike zone.  

He threw the guy out, then drunk got even more incensed and went off the ledge.  The cops were called and they cuffed a fellow named Lecil Travis Martin and took him off to dry out before seeing the judge.  

Lecil’s stage name was Boxcar Willie and he did, in fact, do his freight train whistle as he headed out to the jail house.

(and now you know the rest of the story)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2022 at 8:00 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

52 years in Texas and and still learning town names.

This is a fun one to see in the news. An old coach was the principal at the high school there after he got out of coaching. I think his wife still works for Seymour ISD. Not sure what he does now as I have not seen him since I used to run across him in Austin at the state tournament every March. That’s been many years ago.

I learned the name of darn near every Texas town in high school because a football coach put up a list on the wall in his history class of every school that was in the state of Texas at the time. I used to look at it every single day in class and the town names just stuck. You would be surprised how many times I have had people tell me they are from Texas and that it’s some town I would have never heard of. 

Worked with a guy from Progreso on Long Island. Surprised him by telling him his mascot was a Red Ant. Had a job interview in Times Square and was offered the job on the spot because I told the guy that I would indeed know the town in Texas he was from if he told me because at first he was vague and said he was from near Lubbock. He said Abernathy and I said “Oh the Antelopes. They’re pretty good at basketball.” Had someone hand me a debit card for the bank from Happy. I said “Oh a Cowboy, huh?” Saw them get shelled one year at the state basketball tournament.” So many random towns I have been through and around Texas that there are none that I have not at least heard the name of at some point. I have a friend that calls me from Dallas and he’ll say a random town and ask me for a story about the town. I am pretty good with useless information so I almost always have something to tell him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, slorch said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I never worked in Times Square.  Peep show or otherwise...

I have a story for that. I worked with two guys here three years or so ago. One was an upstater from a pretty small town. He had quite the life in his younger days traveling Europe, Russia in particular. His story about Russians putting pet bears in wagons had me laughing quite a bit as did his train trip through Russia where he accidentally became friends with Russian mobsters while drinking on the train with them. I believe he wound up being friends with some that lived in Brighton Beach. This guy is probably the most intelligent human being I have ever met. His life revolves around his love of diving. Shockingly he is a diver for the New York Aquarium.

Anyhow this guy and the other from a small town in Oklahoma told a story about a guy they worked with who came back from lunch one day bragging that he got a BJ at one of these places in Times Square. He was telling everyone that he went to one of those spots and paid 5 for it. I guess he was kind of a manly man so the guy from Oklahoma, who is gay, told him in front of everyone “The person on the other side of the wall was a guy.” He didn’t feel so proud of his accomplishment after that. 

On 2/13/2022 at 7:47 AM, Underdog said:

image.gif.2c13c8bc7552d324ad72ae1cf1729924.gif

will never watch this without dying.  the bookending of the black dude on the right and santa clause in the bottom left grinning their asses off while the rage consumes everyone between them is so great...the redheaded chick off to the left focusing on something center court while this is going on, as well as those stoned dude in the top right middle with the aww, fuck it look. two girls on the right freaking out over the thrown sign...with the nutbag chick right behind them in the orange shirt going apeshit.  the the ultimate coup de grace, the guy who probably died later that night sitting courtside who appears oblivious to everything going on in the bottom right at the end.

greatness.