2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

Woke up about an hour and a half ago. Still have power, went outside everything seems fine. Sun comes up in about 25 minutes so will go out and survey the area again.

Rain and wind coming and going. It seems where I am has gone through the worst of it.

To all others in Florida, hope all is good with you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For those of y'all staying put in Florida, buckle up, and here's wishing you the best.

ALSO, a hint my family learned during Ike: take tupperware containers, fill them with water, and put them in your freezer.  Those will give you blocks of ice to keep drinks and such cold for several days (and will keep your freezer from thawing out, if you can get power back in 2-3 days).  It's gonna be the "hot and humid weather, with no AC" that wears on you the most, presuming that your property survives major damage.  Cold drinks and ice blocks help buy you a few days.

Make sure all your backup batteries for phones and such are fully charged, too.  That also buys you several days of communications without having to charge them out at your running car.

Good luck, guys.  And F hurricanes.

My god, that was absolutely the worst part post-Ike.

We were lucky and just had some minor damage to our wood floors and even got a new roof out of the deal, so yes, perspective. But damn that humidity with no AC was terrible.

For those of y'all staying put in Florida, buckle up, and here's wishing you the best.
ALSO, a hint my family learned during Ike: take tupperware containers, fill them with water, and put them in your freezer.  Those will give you blocks of ice to keep drinks and such cold for several days (and will keep your freezer from thawing out, if you can get power back in 2-3 days).  It's gonna be the "hot and humid weather, with no AC" that wears on you the most, presuming that your property survives major damage.  Cold drinks and ice blocks help buy you a few days.
Make sure all your backup batteries for phones and such are fully charged, too.  That also buys you several days of communications without having to charge them out at your running car.
Good luck, guys.  And F hurricanes.

Whose wife leaves enough room in the freezer for Tupperware containers full of water?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

Hell we bought a bunch of water bottles and ice bags for our deep freeze over the summer when we were worried about the grid. 50% of our deep freeze is frozen water bottles. The other 50% is bacon, eggos and ice cream.

Come what may.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Mine is in the basement. And also full. Along with the three refrigerator freezers.

Do you just like cooking and hate eating?

who else here predicts Buzz going to the store and purchasing a frozen water freezer in the near future? 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

The last natural disaster thread was the big Texas freeze, and it got real dirty, the "wrap vs drip" fight.  What will be the big argument in this one?  Being Florida, you know it will involve crystal meth.

1. Whether to leave or ride it out
  2. Whether to live on the east side or west side.

When I went to bed I was hopeful this thing would remain Cat 3 and spare some of the SW coast of Florida.

Woke up and it's damn near a Cat 5.  This is horrible.  With the projected track up towards Georgia it's starting to feel like an Andrew-level event.

Edited by jimmyjazz

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

When I went to bed I was hopeful this thing would remain Cat 3 and spare some of the SW coast of Florida.

Woke up and it's damn near a Cat 5.  This is horrible.  With the projected track up towards Georgia it's starting to feel like an Andrew-level event.

My aunt and uncle live in Venice and decided to stay, expecting it to be a Cat 3 at worst. I get it, they've evacuated from storms that ended up turning before and evacuating sucks, but with how quickly these fuckers intensify these days I just can't imagine staying if there's any chance it's going to be more than a Cat 1-2.

• Hook 'Em 1

My aunt and uncle live in Venice and decided to stay, expecting it to be a Cat 3 at worst. I get it, they've evacuated from storms that ended up turning before and evacuating sucks, but with how quickly these fuckers intensify these days I just can't imagine staying if there's any chance it's going to be more than a Cat 1-2.

Those people weren’t paying attention. There has always been an expectation this storm would intensify once it got into the GOM. The water is still warm and has a lot of energy stored as there hasn’t been any other storms to use up that energy. Anybody caught “off guard” by this storm is either an idiot and just flat out didn’t pay any attention to it at all.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Are you sure about that the hurricane hasn’t even made landfall yet?  I wouldn’t let your guard down already.  

Yes the worst went through here a bit ago. We are now in the bands. If you look at a map i am close to where I75 turns east and becomes alligator alley. 

no storm surge threat and the winds are slowing down

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

The last natural disaster thread was the big Texas freeze, and it got real dirty, the "wrap vs drip" fight.  What will be the big argument in this one?  Being Florida, you know it will involve crystal meth.

They should build hurricane basements in Florida to divert the water.  And the gators.  And the Burmese pythons.  

18 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I rode out Andrew in Miami (with our oldest, who was 7 months old at the time).  It was not...fun.

Didn't get our electricity back until first week of October (storm hit August 24).

I also rode out Andrew and the sounds of the winds during that storm were quite frightening when you are boarded up in a house with no way of looking outside.  My brother lives on Sand Key (Clearwater Beach) and decided to stay.  Hope he was right.

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I know like 4 people that live in Venice which is noteworthy considering it’s a smallish town and I live in Arky.

23 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I rode out Andrew in Miami (with our oldest, who was 7 months old at the time).  It was not...fun.

Didn't get our electricity back until first week of October (storm hit August 24).

I used to know a guy who claims his uncle owned a store in Homestead and that they rode out the storm together under a countertop in the store that night. The building was was made of cinder blocks and didn't collapse, but they had glass and other debris blowing on them all night.

The aftermath pictures are just terrible. Ike was bad and Harvey was just more of a flood, but neither was like this. 

image.jpeg.6d16b225194afbf5cd30f29af8e55324.jpeg

Hell yea few strip clubs right by as well. From my experience in the navy the best part of hurricanes are the hurricane party with the locals and strip club hanging out after. Lipstick in Pensacola was go to spot 

Ha, I partied in a Biloxi strip club during a tropical storms In 01 or 02. Locals were cool as shit. Good times.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I watch YouTube through my TV, and the ads at the top are...well, ads.

Anyways, the one currently running, and it was published on September 25th, is "Build your Dream Beach House in Texas with Seahorse Homes in Seahorse Estates near Galveston Island"

Whoever does their marketing, great timing on that ad buy.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1