January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I grew up in the midwest, and "smear the queer" for us (mid-70s) was basically "give one guy the ball and a 5 second head start", and then we'd try to run him down and pummel him.

Probably about like what you played.

Later on when neighborhood girls got involved, it became cop a feel. 

14 hours ago, Nothing To Add said:

So after these hearings what happens next?  I've given up on ever seeing him in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs.  Is justice ever served in any way?

Given that he was arguing in favor of his enemies being killed, not really.

14 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

That brings up a good point—how are the evangelicals projecting their contribution to this? If I recall, several claimed Trump’s election was God’s will? Was the capital riot also gods will since it was certainly Trump’s? 

Trump has the Divine Right of Kings?  Must have some of that Charlemagne blood somewhere from Germany.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

FWIW (not even tree fiddy), Merrick Garland says he's watching the hearings. 

I'm not super concerned about that comment.  Either he already knows everything they're going to air or he just threw out an offhand comment the way someone on our staff said our players were going to order pizza during the Maryland overtime lightning delay (or whatever that was).

I'll tell myself that, but don't summer child me.  There are too many eyeballs on this for Garland to be derelict in his duty.  I don't think he's the male version of Susan Collins.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kind of funny since there’s more talk about me yesterday than there was about Thursday nights prime time flop.

Negged for being a stupid piece of lying shit. It's amazing how more people haven't reported your trolling to give you an auto-timeout. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Given that he was arguing in favor of his enemies being killed, not really.

Curious where they go with the Pence stuff. If they can prove he sent the mob there with the intention of "removing" Pence, and then sat there doing nothing for hours while the mob tried to find him....

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Curious where they go with the Pence stuff. If they can prove he sent the mob there with the intention of "removing" Pence, and then sat there doing nothing for hours while the mob tried to find him....

Good point.  

I was talking about this:

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/07/donald-trump-edward-snowden-nsa-leak-093606

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Told my dad (retired USAF) years ago that moving every 3 years + especially living in Turkey off base was one of the very best things about my youth.  Exposure to different cultures and learning the world isn’t full of people like your corner of the US was foundational to me being a curious, tolerant person. 

My last two years of HS were in Burkburnett TX and I remember being stunned at the sheer backwoods viewpoints most of my classmates had.  Their parents had often graduated together at that HS, gotten married and had kids that repeated the cycle.  I get small town pride, but you only have yourself to blame in the Internet age for not being aware of the world around you.  

No one is saying you have to be a bleeding heart liberal, but you need to realize ‘your ways’ shouldn’t be forced on everyone else.  

If my sibling wasn't a filthy Sooner, I might think that you and I are related based on how creepily accurate that is to my life.

Edited by trauma babe
Ew, embarrassing grammatical mistake that I will think about for days
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, C-Man said:

I’m in SA for the HS state skeet tournament with my kiddo and sitting on the back porch drinking beers with my parents and one of my best HS buddies. Dad, who says he’s “liberal/moderate”, has a real problem calling 1/6 an “insurrection.” My buddy said it was a bunch of hillbillies. Pops said it was on Pelosi to secure the Capital and she didn’t do it, apparently on purpose. It’s really sad that I’ve come to dread being around my parents because of this. (I didn’t start the political discussion tonight but held my tongue all the way thru dinner at Los Barrios before finally speaking up back at home.)

Boomers fucking suck.

Love Los Barrios. Heard they started charging for chips and salsa though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I'm not super concerned about that comment.  Either he already knows everything they're going to air or he just threw out an offhand comment the way someone on our staff said our players were going to order pizza during the Maryland overtime lightning delay (or whatever that was).

I'll tell myself that, but don't summer child me.  There are too many eyeballs on this for Garland to be derelict in his duty.  I don't think he's the male version of Susan Collins.

Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to believe that he's derelict, unconcerned, or lazy.  It's just people doing their Veruca Salt imitation because he's not foaming at the mouth about it every other week on TV or something.  I think that latter is clearly not his style.

I'm sure there are going to be some pretty high-level debates about whether to charge Trump, and it's probably going to include some considerations we haven't even thought of, yet.  But I think most of the negative assumptions about Garland are as baseless as stop the steal.

Guys like Garland are low-key, quiet assassins, in my estimation.  People used to think Giuliani was a badass because he "took down the mob" and cleaned up NYC (and also told you all about it).  Look what an incompetent assclown he actually is.  See, also, Michael Avenatti.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Holy shit, they have!!!!! I was floored when my dad said you had to "order" the chips. I honestly don't know how much or if they charge but you definitely have to ask.

I will still always love that place, though. Diana knows my parents well from all the times we've been in there over the years and she stopped by the table last night. She's awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the hearings themselves are the end of the line for Congress.  There is nothing more they can do after airing their findings.

Then it will be up to the federal DOJ and various affected states to bring criminal charges.

Not exactly.  They could move to eject one or more congress members that were involved.  It would take a 2/3 vote which would never happen, but they could make the attempt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Not exactly.  They could move to eject one or more congress members that were involved.  It would take a 2/3 vote which would never happen, but they could make the attempt. 

If the facts are there, they should, even knowing the GQP will block it. Let the public see the GQP show their ass again and again until it starts to sink in. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The public hearings being held this month by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, the first of which took place during prime-time Thursday evening, are expected to be the focus of this week’s Sunday show circuit.

The committee launched its series of hearings by laying out the framework of its public case against former President Trump, who the committee argues was at the center of an illicit plan to retain power that directly led to the violent insurrection.

Thursday’s hearing included raw footage of the Capitol riot, snippets of recorded interviews from former Trump officials and in-person testimony from a documentarian and one of the over 150 police officers who was injured during the attack.

“It was something like I’d seen out of the movies. I couldn’t believe my eyes,” Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards said in her testimony. “There were officers on the ground. They were bleeding. They were throwing up. They had, I mean, I saw friends with blood all over their faces. I was slipping in people’s blood. I was catching people as they fell. It was carnage. It was chaos. I can’t, I can’t even describe what I saw. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that as a police officer, as a law enforcement officer, I would find myself in the middle of a battle.”

Filmmaker Nick Quested told the committee about what he’d witnessed following members of the extremist group the Proud Boys on Jan. 6. Video he captured that day of the riot and the meeting between the Proud Boys and another far-right group, the Oath Keepers, was also shared during the hearing.

Quested will appear on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday alongside Jan. 6 committee member Rep. Elain Luria (D-Va.). Reps. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), also members of the panel, are set to appear on ABC’s “This Week” and CNN’s “State of the Union,” respectively.

The Jan. 6 committee shared comments from members of Trump’s inner circle who said they had pushed back against the former president’s repeated false claims that election fraud had cost him a second presidential victory in 2020, most notably Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump, who served as his senior adviser.

Former Attorney General Bill Barr, for instance, claimed to the committee that he had told Trump there was “absolutely zero basis for the allegations” that the election was stolen, insisting that Trump’s ongoing campaign was “doing great, great disservice to the country.”

Those snippets of recorded testimony from those close to Trump were included in a lengthy opening statement from the committee’s vice chair Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.).

“All Americans should keep this fact in mind: On the morning of Jan. 6, President Trump’s intention was to remain President of the United States despite the lawful outcome of the 2020 election and in violation of his Constitutional obligation to relinquish power,” Cheney said.

She took a moment to admonish her fellow Republican lawmakers, who have continued to support Trump following the Capitol attack.

“Tonight, I say this to my Republican colleagues who are defending the indefensible: There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain,” said Cheney.

Cheney is one of two Republican members of the nine-person Jan. 6 committee. The other, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), will also make appearance on the Sunday shows circuit this week, on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

Below is the full list of guests scheduled to appear on this week’s Sunday talk shows: 

ABC’s “This Week” — Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.); Gov. Ned Lamont (D-Conn.); Mark Oliva, director of public affairs for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

NBC’s “Meet the Press” — Rep. Elaine Luria (D-Va.); filmmaker Nick Quested.

CBS’s “Face the Nation” — Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.); Jill Peterson and James Densley, co-founders of The Violence Project; Mohamed El-Erian, chief economic adviser at Allianz.

31 members of white nationalist group arrested near Idaho Pride event DNC cuts multiple states from consideration for early primaries: reports

CNN’s “State of the Union” — Reps. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) and Chris Jacobs (R-N.Y.); former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz.); former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers.

“Fox News Sunday” — Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.); Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R-Ark.)

Fox News Channel’s “Sunday Morning Features” — Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio); Rep. Jason Smith (R-Mo.); Lt. Col. Oliver North, Author, “Tragic Consequences”; Adam Laxalt, Nevada Senate Candidate

Tags Adam Kinzinger Adam Schiff Bill Barr Ivanka Trump Liz Cheney Sunday shows preview

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

charging trump makes him more popular with his base of morons and clowns.  change my mind.

That's the really frightening thing.  He could be charged and convicted and on appeal and he'd still probably get as many votes as 2020.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

If you’re wondering why the usual posters keep posting the same lie about no guns. I can’t believe this alternative reality is allowed to be broadcast in America. 

I’ve no doubt he actually believes what he just said.

The problem is:

”insurrection” comes from the old French “insurgere,” which means “rise up.”

In modern lingo, the word is very frequently associated with the concept of “armed rebellion.” 

Here’s the thing: one needn’t possess a gun in order to be “armed.” When you have anything that can be constituted as a weapon, by definition, you are armed. You’re armed if you have a knife; armed if you have a crowbar; armed if you have a mace; armed if you have a sword; armed if you have nunchucks; etc. This whole deal about “armed means guns” is an exclusive American perversion, and the US does not have exclusive rights over the word “insurrection.”

And yeah there’s the extra layer of “yeah, there were guns too.”

So not only is Tucker absolutely wrong, he cannot be right. This level of wrongness is right up there with the assertion of Noah’s Flood as actual history: we know it isn’t right, and we know it cannot be right. He’s not going to get out of that by playing semantics about as well as Todd Marinovich played QB in the NFL.

The US legal code isn’t gonna help him, either.

”Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.” 

It says absolutely nothing about guns, so he’s gonna have to give this one up.

But such is the mind of the right wing: lazy, suggestible, inarticulate, uneducated, undisciplined, unmotivated to do anything except be a dick for dick’s sake. They have as much business being offended when they’re called “degenerates” as a fire truck has when it’s described as being “red.” 

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How are we defining "worse"?

One side will define worse in deaths, money lost, infrastructure, and national security of a democracy 

One side will define worse in ability to exist as a democracy 

If you can’t tell pick the correct answer, it’s very telling in terms of one’s ability to form rational thoughts 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Please explain how 9/11 was worse than 1/6

I’m genuinely curious to see how stupid your answer is going to be

I would argue that it is worse because of the ensuing damage to our own democracy and the rest of the world that ensued (namely the Middle East).

I think time will ultimately tell which did worse damage to America.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I would argue that it is worse because of the ensuing damage to our own democracy and the rest of the world that ensued (namely the Middle East).

I think time will ultimately tell which did worse damage to America.

How did 9/11 damage our Democracy? 

34 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

How did 9/11 damage our Democracy? 

I would argue that the sheer magnitude of the consequences of the Patriot Act alone have been more damaging to our country than 1/6 has been (so far). Not to mention the extreme reactionary attitude adopted by large swaths of our population as a result of that day. One could argue the Trump administration (and 1/6) are a culmination of the fucked up way our overall political attitude has shifted in the wake of 9/11.

However, like I said, we're still in the beginning of the beginning with regard to the long term consequences of 1/6, so time will ultimately tell.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I would argue that the sheer magnitude of the consequences of the Patriot Act alone have been more damaging to our country than 1/6 has been (so far). Not to mention the extreme reactionary attitude adopted by large swaths of our population as a result of that day. One could argue the Trump administration (and 1/6) are a culmination of the fucked up way our overall political attitude has shifted in the wake of 9/11.

However, like I said, we're still in the beginning of the beginning with regard to the long term consequences of 1/6, so time will ultimately tell.

There is merit ro your post. The Patriot Act was definitely harmful to one’s rights within in a democracy. I think 1/6 is far more serious because of what it could of done to the existence of a Democracy. If 1/6 was successful, especially as part of a Trump’s overall coup attempt, Democracy in this country would cease to exist. That is far more serious than terrorists knocking down buildings, the lives of 3,000 Americans, or violating one’s 4th Amendment rights. We can build more buildings, make more Americans, and restore 4th amendment protections. After Democracy is overthrown by a coup, the country ceases to exist, and it would take decades if not longer to reform. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'd also argue that the Bush administrations actions regarding the expanding scope of military response, especially lies to justify, fed into general distrust of government (deep state and military complex). A major underlying theme to the alt-right is their justification for "burning it all down" to start over again. They think they are patriots fighting against a tyrannical government. All bad things can now be veiwed done by the boogeyman government (rightly or wrongly). See: https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3295595

Government reactions to 9 11 could be argued directly fed into the insurrection by amplifying distrust of government...... Along with the decades long marketing campaign by the GOP that government is bad. 

Just as I have gotten some really wacko answers when I've asked Trump supporters directly whether they believe in the the Golden Rule, if by this late stage I haven't seen you condemn a pathological liar's demonstrably false Stolen Election lie that he continues to repeat, and that provides his  supporters, ostensibly in their minds, justification for overthrowing the government and the rule of law, then you don't get the benefit of the doubt that we share the same value system which would make the relevant question "worse for whom"?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Just as I have gotten some really wacko answers when I've asked Trump supporters directly whether they believe in the the Golden Rule, if by this late stage I haven't seen you condemn a pathological liar's demonstrably false Stolen Election lie that he continues to repeat, and that provides his  supporters, ostensibly in their minds, justification for overthrowing the government and the rule of law, then you don't get the benefit of the doubt that we share the same value system which would make the relevant question "worse for whom"?

post this three or ten more times so I can rep it more

On 6/10/2022 at 11:59 AM, Dutchrudder said:

My thought is that the decision to let them inside the building was to hope for some armed conflict. If the body count rises enough, then it could be used as grounds for declaring Martial Law and postponing the vote certification and transfer of power. 

One take I hadn't considered until now, and it makes sense. Thank you.. maybe

• Rage+1 1

So, legal hack Jonathan Turley (who I used to like for some of his criminal justice and other more apolitical takes), calls the Committee illegitimate because it's not investigating the shortcomings of the Capitol Police.

Maybe, Jonny, because there's an Inspector General for that, who issued a 104 page report on it and testified to Congress in April a year ago.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I haven't been to the Los Barrios location in about twenty years.  It was a family favorite when I was growing up. La Hacienda became the replacement when they opened up about 16/17 years ago. They have a third restaurant out near Sea World but I haven't tried it yet.

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, legal hack Jonathan Turley (who I used to like for some of his criminal justice and other more apolitical takes), calls the Committee illegitimate because it's not investigating the shortcomings of the Capitol Police.

Maybe, Jonny, because there's an Inspector General for that, who issued a 104 page report on it and testified to Congress in April a year ago.

Turley has done a truly extraordinary job at annihilating what was once a pretty good reputation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

How are we defining "worse"?

If you define it strictly by the number of American lives lost then, thanks to the incompetence of Trump/Pence/Kushner, we had a 9/11 every day during the height of the pandemic.

Funny how none of the people protesting about mask or vaccination mandates ever protested about having to take off their shoes while going through airport security.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you define it strictly by the number of American lives lost then, thanks to the incompetence of Trump/Pence/Kushner, we had a 9/11 every day during the height of the pandemic.

Funny how none of the people protesting about mask or vaccination mandates ever protested about having to take off their shoes while going through airport security.

It's because they are stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

My very brilliant friend would pose this question when we were in college:

Would you rather have your nuts smashed or sliced?

I wasn't chained to a table when he asked. It was purely speculative. He made a solid argument for smashed.

I couldn't manage to care.