January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

22 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This thread was so easy to high jack. Any bombshell from this BS distraction should be a number one talker to this thread. Not a couple of rubes calling out your alligator tears.

Any bombshells?

@immamac

Dude reported himself trolling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Same. I thought that part was very powerful. The problem is that only 20 million people watched last night. A Congressional committe hearing about the most historically consequential transfer of power and only 20 million Americans could be bothered to watch. It only further reinforces that politics is a team sport and nothing matters except the letter next to the candidate's name.

I don't wholly disagree but I feel like something is off about those numbers. Is that only traditional tv ratings? Or do they track online streaming now? I didn't watch, per se, but I followed along on twitter and watched clips. Did they count me? Probably not. Hell, I was at pool league last night and people were talking about. It's not a forgotten subject. And I suspect more people will tune in for the next one after what the first one revealed. We'll see what, if anything, comes out of all of this. I'm not hopeful, but I haven't given up.... yet.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There were NO guns

Just pipe bombs, shields used as weapons, and flagsticks used to beat officers. The guns were only in a hotel room of the Proud Boys ready to be called at a moment's notice!

Don’t forget bear mace and other toxic irritants.

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Don’t forget bear mace and other toxic irritants.

Don’t those fat asses (aka the majority of the participants) qualify as “toxic irritants” just in and of themselves?

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't wholly disagree but I feel like something is off about those numbers. Is that only traditional tv ratings? Or do they track online streaming now? I didn't watch, per se, but I followed along on twitter and watched clips. Did they count me? Probably not. Hell, I was at pool league last night and people were talking about. It's not a forgotten subject. And I suspect more people will tune in for the next one after what the first one revealed. We'll see what, if anything, comes out of all of this. I'm not hopeful, but I haven't given up.... yet.

https://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/media/3519284-nearly-20m-watched-jan-6-hearing-nielsen/

"Friday’s preliminary figures are likely to grow and do not include viewers who watched the hearing via streaming service online through YouTubeTV or other platforms. "

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Incredulity, this is the post you neg?  The one about flour tortillas v. corn tortillas?  You're not a Techie who throws these at kickoff are you?

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's not funny, but I guess you have to laugh. might only watch though Colbert's lens. It's pretty tough to take otherwise.

As prepared intros to Colbert’s show go, that was pretty good. I watched it “live.” I’m still not sure what the point was of having a live broadcast with an hour gap between the hearing and the show. And I really don’t care much for those prepared intros before the monologue. But that one was decent. 

4 hours ago, Mole said:

I didn’t watch last night because it was father-son time and I don’t want to subject him to that kind of conservative degeneracy yet. How much footage of Trump speaking is there? I’ve actively avoided hearing that demonically possessed evangelical whisperer since that day and life is better for it. Maybe vid-angel has a trump filter.

That brings up a good point—how are the evangelicals projecting their contribution to this? If I recall, several claimed Trump’s election was God’s will? Was the capital riot also gods will since it was certainly Trump’s? 

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

these fucking people

A few years ago I was staying at some limited service business hotel in North Carolina.  There was an old woman in the lobby who was an employee of some kind who was chatting with another hotel guest.  Somewhere in my eavesdropping I heard her say "The way he's been treated is so shameful."  This was in December of 2018.  It was Trump she was talking about.

This tweet ^^^ was written for people like her.  People who don't watch or pay attention but have other people explain and interpret things for them.  

Edited by Bullneck

23 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thank you.  My black daughter in law thanks you and my bi-racial granddaughter may thank you once she learns some more words.

Isn't there a way to disagree without being disagreeable and hostile? 

These sorts of comments always make me laugh. As if David Duke didn't love his black nanny or Strom Thurmond didn't love his daughter. Human beings are complicated creatures who are adept at employing the right amount of cognitive dissonance to suit their needs whenever necessary. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It’s funny because an insurrection happened while a resurrection never has.

I’m in SA for the HS state skeet tournament with my kiddo and sitting on the back porch drinking beers with my parents and one of my best HS buddies. Dad, who says he’s “liberal/moderate”, has a real problem calling 1/6 an “insurrection.” My buddy said it was a bunch of hillbillies. Pops said it was on Pelosi to secure the Capital and she didn’t do it, apparently on purpose. It’s really sad that I’ve come to dread being around my parents because of this. (I didn’t start the political discussion tonight but held my tongue all the way thru dinner at Los Barrios before finally speaking up back at home.)

Boomers fucking suck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Committee chairman gave an interview this evening on whats to come

They're going to name names and show the receipts on communications between oathkeepers/proudboys and people affiliated with trump. Interestingly, he said they "have not been able to find" anything from trump

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Nothing To Add said:

So after these hearings what happens next?  I've given up on ever seeing him in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs.  Is justice ever served in any way?

Well, the hearings themselves are the end of the line for Congress.  There is nothing more they can do after airing their findings.

Then it will be up to the federal DOJ and various affected states to bring criminal charges.

Not much, but they were showing some of the footage of the violence while at the same time overlaying his voice talking about how peaceful and full of love the crowd was.  Thought that was pretty fucking effective, and was a rare exception where I can stomach hearing that guy talk.

The most effective clips were the ones from actual insurrectionists stating one after the other that their motivation for participating was Trump’s pleas for them to show up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

The most effective clips were the ones from actual insurrectionists stating one after the other that their motivation for participating was Trump’s pleas for them to show up.

Agree. It was also pretty effective showing Bill Barr throw Trump and the whole bullshit Big Lie under the bus. If anyone thought they could count on him to have their back, they are a fucking moron. 

Note- The last sentence applies to both Barr and Trump.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I grew up in the midwest, and "smear the queer" for us (mid-70s) was basically "give one guy the ball and a 5 second head start", and then we'd try to run him down and pummel him.

Probably about like what you played.

90s kid in Austin and we did this too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Committee chairman gave an interview this evening on whats to come
They're going to name names and show the receipts on communications between oathkeepers/proudboys and people affiliated with trump. Interestingly, he said they "have not been able to find" anything from trump

He’s very good at being a mob boss. Just like Cohen testified, he will never say, “Go do this illegal thing.” He speaks in code where everyone knows what he wants done but he doesn’t specify. It’s the implication.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

He’s very good at being a mob boss. Just like Cohen testified, he will never say, “Go do this illegal thing.” He speaks in code where everyone knows what he wants done but he doesn’t specify. It’s the implication.

Yep, he lets you know what he wants without giving a direct order. Like a mob boss saying, “Take care of the problem,” instead of directly ordering you to kill someone.

25 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

In Temple, see, we were far more advanced. We called that game "kill or be killed," eventually shortened to just killerbeekill.

At UT (mid-late 80s), we changed the name to "tackle the person with the alternative lifestyle ".  Somehow it never really caught on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Because of the Implication" | Know Your Meme

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Remember, he hasn't used email, text messages or a computer for work since 2010. He's like Paulie Sorvino from Goodfellas with people running around all day delivering in person messages for him.

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, the hearings themselves are the end of the line for Congress.  There is nothing more they can do after airing their findings.

Then it will be up to the federal DOJ and various affected states to bring criminal charges.

FWIW (not even tree fiddy), Merrick Garland says he's watching the hearings. 

7 hours ago, Pods said:

Agree. It was also pretty effective showing Bill Barr throw Trump and the whole bullshit Big Lie under the bus. If anyone thought they could count on him to have their back, they are a fucking moron. 

Note- The last sentence applies to both Barr and Trump.

Pretty sure Barr found Trump to be a useful idiot for implementing the "Imperial Presidency" agenda.  But even those fuckers seem to assume that the imperial President will be duly elected.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

90’s kid in Dallas. That was the slogan we had for the week we played against JJ Pearce HS

80s kid in Dallas.  Pretty sure back then, we would not have said that out loud that way.

Shit, Coach Nobles (not sure he survived into the 90s) called bombardment/dodge ball "smear the queer" and we found that cringey in 7th/8th grade, except maybe a few overgrown sadists that liked blasting people in the face with those red balls.

I'm afraid adolescent male homophobia is probably a thing that sticks around forever.  The whole "figuring out sexuality" thing is just too fraught for it not to.

Edited by TwiceHorn

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

80s kid in Dallas.  Pretty sure back then, we would not have said that out loud that way.

Shit, Coach Nobles (not sure he survived into the 90s) called bombardment/dodge ball "smear the queer" and we found that cringey in 7th/8th grade, except maybe a few overgrown sadists that liked blasting people in the face with those red balls.

I'm afraid adolescent male homophobia is probably a thing that sticks around forever.  The whole "figuring out sexuality" thing is just too fraught for it not to.

Oh it is. We don’t condone it in our household, and yet when I play my 14-year old nephew in Madden and when I’m beating his ass, he is guaranteed to say the phrase “LITERALLY GAY!” like 5-6 times. He doesn’t get that from me, his dad, his mom, his aunt (my wife) or anyone else. That’s obviously a school (i.e. peer) thing.

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're portrayed laughing. 

There are those who are worth considering, there are those not worth considering, there are those who are so laughably stupid that it almost requires us to mock them, and there are those who give rise to the idea that if brains were fuel, they wouldn't have enough to power a flea's motorcycle around a drop of rain.