Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

3 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I'm a little sick of people making fun of white kids that ran 5.1 in high school.  We're people too, dammit.

My white kid was an all-district sprinter in high school.  I . . . was not.  I learned my place when I challenged him to a race on the beach in Florida.  At the time, he was probably a 5th grader.  I'm pretty sure I blew out my hamstring on stride 4, but it wouldn't have mattered, I was toast.

I would aspire to a PR of 5.1 in my life (maybe 6.1 if I'm being honest).  Hey to Rich Eisen.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My white kid was an all-district sprinter in high school.  I . . . was not.  I learned my place when I challenged him to a race on the beach in Florida.  At the time, he was probably a 5th grader.  I'm pretty sure I blew out my hamstring on stride 4, but it wouldn't have mattered, I was toast.

I would aspire to a PR of 5.1 in my life (maybe 6.1 if I'm being honest).  Hey to Rich Eisen.

My son turned out to be a white kid that ran a 5.0 in high school.  So we just need to stay on that improvement trajectory and my great, great, great, great grandson will be kicking major ass at the slot position. 

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ultimately, if Ewers comes back, it's a helluva "problem" to have.  Two highly regarded recruits, one of whom has proven that he can develop (and who can hopefully develop further) vs another who is a virtual unknown at this point.

With a little luck, Quinn comes back and leads us back to the playoff and Arch plays most of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarters of most of our games, and is ready to keep the juggernaut rolling in 2025.

• Hook 'Em 5

I’ve convinced myself that approach was a specific part of the UW defensive game plan. They scouted the low trajectory of some of Ewer’s throws and it was part of Deboer’s wizardry in that game. 

I think is partly right. I’m not sure arm angle is a big deal. On short routes, you need passing lanes. I think that was a concerted effort to combat our RPO game. Might be a reason we had success running. Less aggression on attacking the run but stay home and get hands up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The one thing that I think Quinn really needs to work on it is using his arm. You can see the arm strength, when they run a deep stop or the deep out to the wide side. Outside of that, I rarely see Quinn unleash a frozen rope. He has an elite arm, I am not sure why he does not use all the arrows in his quiver

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

With a little luck, Quinn comes back and leads us back to the playoff and Arch plays most of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarters of most of our games, and is ready to keep the juggernaut rolling in 2025.

This is the way

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Appreciate Quinn at Texas.  Dude improved a ton this year.  But watching Penix and then watching Quinn, it's night and day.  1 dude was THE man and made plays for his team meanwhile Quinn more so manages the game and plays within in the offense.  He's just a bit more robotic, has poor pocket presence, poor footwork and is okay in his progressions.  Quinn has had crazy unrealistic expectations put on him due to his 1.0 ranking coming out of high school but he was also waaaaay over-rated coming out.  Dude probably should have been a high 4 star.  We're in a lucky spot if he comes back because he has shown we can make the CFP with him and be competitive with him.  With all that said, I think Arch has a better arm, better pocket feel, is more athletic, and will be much better with progressions with game reps.  I hope Sark starts the best guy after spring practice regardless of who it is. 

i’ll simply add that the ability to utilize RPO’s with Arch will give this offense a different dynamic that we don’t have with QE taking the snaps.

• Fuck You 2
  • Drool 1

50 minutes ago, elguapo said:

6th year college QB with NFL talent is a lot better than 3rd year college QB with NFL talent who should really be in his 2nd year, shocking!!!!!

in the span of three months the denizens of this thread have gone from exalting QE, claiming he’s a sure fire first round pick, and literally comparing him favorably with michael penix, bo nix, jaden daniels, etc, to now going, “well no shit michael penix is better than QE, i mean fucking duh!!!”. weird how often that happens around here.

• Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Quinn hasn’t had a full season healthy yet so odds are Manning will start a few games 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

in the span of three months the denizens of this thread have gone from exalting QE, claiming he’s a sure fire first round pick, and literally comparing him favorably with michael penix, bo nix, jaden daniels, etc, to now going, “well no shit michael penix is better than QE, i mean fucking duh!!!”. weird how often that happens around here.

Sure thing buddy, whatever you say

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Appreciate Quinn at Texas.  Dude improved a ton this year.  But watching Penix and then watching Quinn, it's night and day.  1 dude was THE man and made plays for his team meanwhile Quinn more so manages the game and plays within in the offense.  He's just a bit more robotic, has poor pocket presence, poor footwork and is okay in his progressions.  Quinn has had crazy unrealistic expectations put on him due to his 1.0 ranking coming out of high school but he was also waaaaay over-rated coming out.  Dude probably should have been a high 4 star.  We're in a lucky spot if he comes back because he has shown we can make the CFP with him and be competitive with him.  With all that said, I think Arch has a better arm, better pocket feel, is more athletic, and will be much better with progressions with game reps.  I hope Sark starts the best guy after spring practice regardless of who it is. 

The modern game is a bit tough on passers who are not also good to great athletes/runners.  We can win more with QE, but he has to grow as much this coming year as in the past year.

[mention=185]South Austin[/mention] summarized my thoughts exactly.  

But I am puzzled by the whole "coming back/NFL" talk.  Putting aside recruiting rankings and stats juiced by playing for Sark, QE is a wildly inconsistent, better-than-average college QB.  He certainly does not look like an NFL QB.  On that, I'm Tom Hanks in Big with the robot toy.   

Ewers would absolutely benefit from another year in college, especially in Sark’s offense. I don’t think anyone has seriously claimed otherwise. He’d get eaten alive on an NFL field right now.

Ewers however has been financially motivated his whole career (that’s not a value judgment) and the allure of an NFL contract, even a second or third round deal, is hard to pass up even if the extra year potentially vaults him into the first round. Also, it only takes one team to fall in love and the NFL has always loved a white boy that can spin it against air.

Further, there’s the angle that it’s not entirely up to Ewers in the sense that the staff would put a thumb on the scale if they felt like Ewers returning would cost them Arch Manning. That does not seem to be the case based on anything I’ve seen but it’s out there in the speculation.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

it was like 6-7 weeks ago that people here were unanimously disagreeing with me when i was saying that QE was not on the level of Penix, Nix, Daniels, and Williams.

Cool man, I haven't followed the thread closely so I really wouldn't know.

Quinn is a guy who can lead us to a national championship. I am EXTREMELY excited by the prospect of him leading our team for at least one more year.

Texas QB Starters:
2024 - RS Jr Ewers
2025 - RS Sr Ewers
2026 - RS Jr Manning
2027 - RS Sr Manning

Going to find a magic lamp to rub to see if I can make that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I see we are at the "poor me" point of Derka's defense....

Aren't we always at that point?

The only reason he even posts is so he can be a martyr when people disagree with him. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

6th year college QB with NFL talent is a lot better than 3rd year college QB with NFL talent who should really be in his 2nd year, shocking!!!!!

Exactly. This 6th/7th year covid QB shit is dumb as fuck. Congrats to Penix on his season I guess. It's like an 11 year old playing two extra years of dad's pitch and flexing on all the second graders for hitting the most home runs.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

He doesn't have to a top five draft pick to be more than "appreciated." He's the baddest ass QB we've had here in ages and you want the back up.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Quinn is a guy who can lead us to a national championship. I am EXTREMELY excited by the prospect of him leading our team for at least one more year.

Texas QB Starters:
2024 - RS Jr Ewers
2025 - RS Sr Ewers
2026 - RS Jr Manning
2027 - RS Sr Manning

Going to find a magic lamp to rub to see if I can make that happen.

There is no chance Ewers is back in 2025. Manning will start in 2025.

Two takes here.    

Penix will not be the next Joe Montana or Tom Brady.   Solid NFL player and may start a few years but he won’t be lighting up the NFL the way he torched the horns.  We are just an absolute horrible matchup vs Washington.  We can stop the run and they don’t give a shit about running.   They feel no stress  is they can’t run and are plenty comfortable having 500+ yards passing with little to no running game.   We play ten times and the same shit would happen nine or ten times.   

And Quinn’s last ball sailed on him.  Normally I would point to poor footwork but not on that pass.   He just missed the read to throw to the pylon.    And Mitchell’s route was lazy … looked like he expected Quinn to go elsewhere.   

16 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Let's just all tell him he's right and maybe he'll leave the thread already

No, just ignore such and don't respond in any way.

But... If nothing will do but replying, at least, don't fucking quote, so at least the rest of us won't have to wade through waist-deep bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

And Quinn’s last ball sailed on him.  Normally I would point to poor footwork but not on that pass.   He just missed the read to throw to the pylon.    And Mitchell’s route was lazy … looked like he expected Quinn to go elsewhere.   

Yeah to an open J Witt who has a ready blocker on the only DB on that giant open side of the field. J Witt finishes as a legend rewarded for all his hard work. Life is good...
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Yeah to an open J Witt who has a ready blocker on the only DB on that giant open side of the field. J Witt finishes as a legend rewarded for all his hard work. Life is good...

I saw him and laughed. It’s 4th and goal and they motion him to stand on the 20 yard line. Not sure what the point of that was 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

No, just ignore such and don't respond in any way.

But... If nothing will do but replying, at least, don't fucking quote, so at least the rest of us won't have to wade through waist-deep bullshit.

giphy (1) (29).gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Anyone who isn’t ecstatic at the thought of Quinn returning is a rube. As a freshman, he looked flawless in the RRS. As a sophomore, he lit up Alabama in Tuscaloosa, won a Big 12 title, and was a snap away from playing for a National Title…

As an upperclassman, he’ll easily be a top 5 player in CFB. With a mature O-line, a replenished arsenal at WR, and another year in Sark’s system — he has the potential to go full Penix/Burrow mode.

he’s going to return and he’s going to be better than he was this season. the only question is will he be a very good QB (top 10 nationally) or an elite, heisman candidate QB. i have stated that i think that Arch will be better faster than QE, but as you’ve said, only a fool wouldn’t be extremely happy with the prospect of QE returning for another season as the starter.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s going to return and he’s going to be better than he was this season. the only question is will he be a very good QB (top 10 nationally) or an elite, heisman candidate QB. i have stated that i think that Arch will be better faster than QE, but as you’ve said, only a fool wouldn’t be extremely happy with the prospect of QE returning for another season as the starter.

Yeah this is a great problem to have, do you start the number one QB prospect or the number 2?   Who knows which is which but at least we aren’t trotting out Jason Smith. 

Reading some replies made me think of old times.

Some of us olds can recall when applewhite was the man, and then out of the blue Texas flips Simms from Tennessee.

The next few years the message boards were split. Simms would either drop dimes 30 yards downfield or miss a screen pass. Major was just a baller.

What’s interesting today is nobody really called for manning this season. I don’t know, maybe it’s not similar but to me it is.

• Like 1