The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

32 minutes ago, Hate said:

Unless the beans are refried, they should never ever appear on a breakfast plate.

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yup. I'm sure Brisket's breakfast is largely edible, but I'll stick with some migas thanks. 

There’s something also so unseemly about beans on toast. I had a roommate who would wake up, eat beans on toast and watch soccer at like 7am on the weekends. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean….this was my kickass breakfast this morning:

4409e40da48a215c187000c35e1f1e59.jpg

Haggis is the tits.  Rich as fuck, tho.  The trick with beans for breakfast is you need Vegemite, or barring that, it's limp dick cousin, Marmite, on cheap buttered toast to bind everything together and provide a pop of umami.  The biggest problem with English Breakfast is not the beans, it's their abortion of bacon.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Tell me you didn’t study history without telling me you didn’t study history 

I can't say I know the history in detail, but yeah I know enough to know why they hate the UK. My question was whether there was something specific to Queen Elizabeth II or if its just her status as Queen.

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I can't say I know the history in detail, but yeah I know enough to know why they hate the UK. My question was whether there was something specific to Queen Elizabeth II or if its just her status as Queen.

I mean, the English more or less recolonized Northern Ireland in the 1970s and stood by or quietly assisted the murder of hundreds of Catholics (and reverse Protestant killings).  She was queen and never apologized, or every even commented on the English role in the Troubles. 

Flip side is the IRA took Mountbatten from her, so I imagine the feelings were mutual.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No “Bloody Mary” as a sign of support for the new Protestant King? I mean, to wash down the charcoal briquette on the left there…

Double black pudding FTW.

I once made a Full Texan Breakfast.

Ribeye steak, smoked sausage, migas, skillet potatoes, refried beans, grilled jalapeños, a tortilla, and a slice of Texas toast.

It was pretty glorious but I may need to add a CFS to that platter.

That, my friend, is genius.

34 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I mean, the English more or less recolonized Northern Ireland in the 1970s and stood by or quietly assisted the murder of hundreds of Catholics (and reverse Protestant killings).  She was queen and never apologized, or every even commented on the English role in the Troubles. 

Flip side is the IRA took Mountbatten from her, so I imagine the feelings were mutual.

Is that cunt from Carnegie Mellon Irish?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the Queen's relationship with former colonies is much more complex and should be balanced with the enormous amount of charity fundraising and awareness of humanitarian causes and crises the Royal Family has championed over the years.

But if you're a Catholic Northern Irish, I'm not sure I'd expect much grace, and honestly, I don't think anyone in the Royal family would extend it back.

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I think the Queen's relationship with former colonies is much more complex and should be balanced with the enormous amount of charity fundraising and awareness of humanitarian causes and crises the Royal Family has championed over the years.

But if you're a Catholic Northern Irish, I'm not sure I'd expect much grace, and honestly, I don't think anyone in the Royal family would extend it back.

"We acquired vast wealth by stealing it from you, please love us when we give a little back a century later in the name of charity."

I agree the professor's approach is super crass and not how I would handle it, but there are very legitimate reasons for places formerly pillaged by the Brits to despise the institution of the monarchy and its individual members. So much of the monarchy's wealth was literally stolen for the benefit of a few and that generational wealth is what funded the castles, etc. I don't fault anyone who holds a major grudge. 

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

damn. just after elevating william and kate to prince and princess of wales, charles wishes "harry and meghan well building their new life overseas"

harsh, but fair, i reckon

Harry was a second class member of his own family the day he was born.  I don’t blame him one bit for getting the fuck out.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

damn. just after elevating william and kate to prince and princess of wales, charles wishes "harry and meghan well building their new life overseas"

harsh, but fair, i reckon

This was all agreed to a couple of years ago. Harry has left the Royal Family.  Hes' still a son and a brother, but his time in The Firm is over.  He gave up a vast fortune for his freedom, and I don't get the feeling that it bothers him, at all.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

"We acquired vast wealth by stealing it from you, please love us when we give a little back a century later in the name of charity."

I agree the professor's approach is super crass and not how I would handle it, but there are very legitimate reasons for places formerly pillaged by the Brits to despise the institution of the monarchy and its individual members. So much of the monarchy's wealth was literally stolen for the benefit of a few and that generational wealth is what funded the castles, etc. I don't fault anyone who holds a major grudge. 

I don't disagree with any of that, but it's not like she conquered Kenya.  I do agree that the Royal Family should be much more aggressive in divesting it self of it's private ownings to benefit charity and humanitarian causes, but I believe that of virtually every super wealthy person.  Everyone should aspire to be more like McKenzie Scott.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Harry was a second class member of his own family the day he was born.  I don’t blame him one bit for getting the fuck out.

that's if you think it was up to him.

and yes, he needs to grow up and be a man and steer his own ship, but i think we've all seen friends destroy important relationships because of a significant other who was toxic.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

and yes, he needs to grow up and be a man and steer his own ship, but i think we've all seen friends destroy important relationships because of a significant other who was toxic.

I think whatever toxicity that is there is fueled by his second class status within his own family.

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

It always struck me as "who was first to be shitty" type question. From everything we know about the monarchy, including relatively recent history, I think it's very likely that they never liked or accepted Meagan and probably treated her poorly from the outset. I hold no judgment on their decision to gtfo. Even if it was the other way around, I still think it's more than reasonable to want out of that life. 

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It always struck me as "who was first to be shitty" type question. From everything we know about the monarchy, including relatively recent history, I think it's very likely that they never liked or accepted Meagan and probably treated her poorly from the outset. I hold no judgment on their decision to gtfo. Even if it was the other way around, I still think it's more than reasonable to want out of that life. 

This.  There are plenty of "spare" royals who are allowed to fade into the background of the Royal white noise and fall out of the tabloid press. The Firm has covered up Andrew's pedophilia for decades and only cast him into the darkness once it became untenable.  Princess Anne fucked half of English Royal Society in the 80s and is doing just fine.   For whatever reason, they wouldn't let Harry fade away.  So he quit.

3 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

looks dry AF

An English fry-up is just like all the breakfast foods you know and love, and then overcooked, under seasoned and thrown randomly on a plate with some baked beans and the worst tomato you have ever had in your life.

It makes marmite on wheatabix look edible.  

• Haha 2

An English fry-up is just like all the breakfast foods you know and love, and then overcooked, under seasoned and thrown randomly on a plate with some baked beans and the worst tomato you have ever had in your life.
It makes marmite on wheatabix look edible.  

Square sausage. Link sausage. Black pudding. Slice of ham. Fried egg. Sautéed mushrooms. Potato scone. All were delicious. Didn’t eat the beans or toast. What’s not to like? The people know their breakfast meats (except the bacon, which I skipped).
Busy watching the BBC coverage. All presenters wearing all black. Now, a retrospective on her life. Love the Boris Johnson commentary - what a clown. I kinda wanna party with him.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean….this was my kickass breakfast this morning:

I'm more than half jealous. We haven't returned since COVID and it will be some time before we can return. Don't forget to have a bowl of porridge once in awhile so the travelers on your return flight are not too miserable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I'd eat that for sure. The local Irish pub makes a version of this and it's great. Why it's considered breakfast is beyond me, but tasty is tasty no matter the time of day.

Without heading to google to verify, I believe it’s what English soldiers were served for breakfast during WWI or II and when they came home that’s what they wanted for breakfast. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Square sausage. Link sausage. Black pudding. Slice of ham. Fried egg. Sautéed mushrooms. Potato scone. All were delicious. Didn’t eat the beans or toast. What’s not to like? The people know their breakfast meats (except the bacon, which I skipped).
Busy watching the BBC coverage. All presenters wearing all black. Now, a retrospective on her life. Love the Boris Johnson commentary - what a clown. I kinda wanna party with him.

Square/Lorne sausage is fucking great. Have a friend here that brings it down every time he goes up to Elgin, along with some Scottish pies. 

On 9/8/2022 at 2:47 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Pro tip.

If you get on your roof, and start firing off a small signal cannon, even if you are using blanks, and you are shouting through a bullhorn “THE QUEEN IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE ANARCHY” you should expect to have a long conversation with APD (or whoever your relevant local LEOs are), and get the cannon confiscated and a bunch of paperwork and fines.

We went to war for a 3% tax, now we have a 30% tax on our wages. Not much anarchy going on anymore.