The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

58 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The Queen is dead. Long live the king. God bless Queen Elizabeth. I wonder what regnal name Charles will choose. I’d choose George VII to honor the history of that great name. I look forward to seeing Charles’ coronation. The coronation of the British monarch is one of the most beautiful ceremonies in the world with deep meaning if you’re a Christian, especially Anglican. Fuck the monarchy haters on this board. The British love the institution. It is one of the few institutions remaining imbued with history, faith, beauty and mystery. The people’s love their monarch as the embodiment of their nation is beautiful and something that people who live in republics miss out on. 

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The new PM is anti-monarchy so not sure how you can claim they love it.  

The republicans can never get above 30% in any poll that has been done. The Brits aren’t stupid like the long list of countries that have gotten rid of their monarch. This British monarchy is special and is unmatched when it comes to countries with monarchies.

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Our country would have been much better off if it had never rebelled against the crown. Slavery would not have existed as long as it did, would have still been joined to Canada and had a monarch to look up to. Republics are ugly and brutish in comparison.

• Fuck You 10

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The republicans can never get above 30% in any poll that has been done. The Brits aren’t stupid like the long list of countries that have gotten rid of their monarch. This British monarchy is special and is unmatched when it comes to countries with monarchies.

i thought your favorite monarch was the shah.  hmm, interesting.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Our country would have been much better off if it had never rebelled against the crown. Slavery would not have existed as long as it did, would have still been joined to Canada and had a monarch to look up to. Republics are ugly and brutish in comparison.

Ok, you just lost me there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

So leave, you weirdo. We had a revolution to not have a Monarch

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Brits should put her head on a spike along with all the surviving royals and declare a republic.

Charles is reportedly a Muslim convert so he’ll declare a caliphate. Or Wilhelm will ascend and reassert their Germanic heritage. He’s reportedly the antiChrist by many. He is the confluence of a bunch of Merovingian bloodlines.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

If he had changed his name to George that would have been stupid as fuck

Not sure it's really changing his name.  Just because he goes by Charles doesn't mean his name as king must stay Charles.  Edward VIII was known as David, but decided on Edward VIII.  George VI's name was Albert but it was considered too Germanic in 1936 England. 

10 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Republics are ugly and brutish in comparison.

Yeah, little known fact, but monarchies have never had issues with brutality.

I have to give Macklemore and his dick sucking drug addict self a hand for such a wonderful take.....wait you do take Congolese hands right?

10 Million Congolese Africans Suffered at the Hands of King Leopold II of  Belgium | Black Then

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I understand when people what to delight in the deaths of people who did them distinct harm.  I get why a lot of old union members in the Midland were happy when Margaret Thatcher died.  I'll be over the fucking moon when Donald Trump dies.

But Elizabeth II never did anything to any of the innumerable people who take her passing as an opportunity to show their ugliness.  Ok, great--you hate the institution of the monarchy; it still exists.  You think British colonialism was bad; she didn't do it.

Meanwhile, there's an entire country for whom she was the human embodiment of their country under their Constitution.  And a lot of them are really sad.  But nevermind--someone on Twitter needs to dunk on someone for . . . reasons.

Some of the reactions out there are just really weird.

yeah, i'm more saddened and what not than i expected, and I like the royal institution in general.  but i (and a bunch of others) find dark humor on the internet to be amusing

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah, little known fact, but monarchies have never had issues with brutality.

I have to give Macklemore and his dick sucking drug addict self a hand for such a wonderful take.....wait you do take Congolese hands right?

10 Million Congolese Africans Suffered at the Hands of King Leopold II of  Belgium | Black Then

For the record, and so that there's no misunderstanding, it was the Belgians in Congo.  But what's your point?  Are you saying that monarchies have a monopoly on criminal behavior?  Because, ummmmm--the American Indians may somewhat disagree with that take.

As might the Filipinos. 

The Blacks of South Africa would definitely disagree.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I understand when people what to delight in the deaths of people who did them distinct harm.  I get why a lot of old union members in the Midland were happy when Margaret Thatcher died.  I'll be over the fucking moon when Donald Trump dies.

But Elizabeth II never did anything to any of the innumerable people who take her passing as an opportunity to show their ugliness.  Ok, great--you hate the institution of the monarchy; it still exists.  You think British colonialism was bad; she didn't do it.

Meanwhile, there's an entire country for whom she was the human embodiment of their country under their Constitution.  And a lot of them are really sad.  But nevermind--someone on Twitter needs to dunk on someone for . . . reasons.

This surprises you somehow? Everyone has access to the interwebs these days, most of them suck. I don't have any personal animosity towards her, I think the institution is dumb, but she always seemed charming and kind. I do laugh at some of the dark humor being passed around, but that would be true of pretty much any famous death. As an issue of world politics, I will be interested to see if and how Charles is accepted as King. The dynamic is just completely different. 

26 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Star Trek Lincoln GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

1FRp.gif.cba1842df8c911639ff6293501b379e8.gif

Edited by Saint Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

For the record, and so that there's no misunderstanding, it was the Belgians in Congo.  But what's your point?  Are you saying that monarchies have a monopoly on criminal behavior?  Because, ummmmm--the American Indians may somewhat disagree with that take.

As might the Filipinos. 

So would the Africans sold into slavery by other Africans, and so on and so on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Star Trek Bones GIF

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Is this a bit? I'm very much against "American Exceptionalism" and think there's some legitimate historical criticisms of our rebellion (my interpretation has always been that things weren't as bad as we portrayed but it made sense either way that we should govern ourselves being an ocean away). Things might have been better, maybe worse, but it's all history now. We get along. Not sure how anyone could say something so definitive about where we'd be today.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Ok, you just lost me there.

Just now, Trey3216 said:

giphy.gif

lol, you bizarre monarchist bootlickers didn't realize you were putting in with fucking iconoclast did you?

as for the rest of this revisionist shit about how dutiful, graceful in contrition, bla fucking bla bla bla this woman was from her countless castles and countless servants while being the head of the state that colonized the world and visited horrific atrocities upon countless people in south africa, kenya, senegal, ireland india, palestine, coups in iran, and on and on and on while taking flights there and waving her hand, i choose not to do it on this thread recognizing the magnitude of her passing and her inbred looking son inheriting a pointless position beyond the unconscionable economic waste and archaic mindset of deference and adulation to people who have achieved absolutely nothing on merit but instead were just bred as weirdly as possible.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/04/the-british-empire-was-much-worse-than-you-realize-caroline-elkinss-legacy-of-violence

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

uh, is this really your take?  

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

It's so much fun to judge history and historical figures by modern standards.

Crazy to think she's been queen since your avatar was PM.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

As might the Filipinos. 

no one should whitewash any of that or pretend to cry over any of their passing either.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

But what's your point?  Are you saying that monarchies have a monopoly on criminal behavior? 

I'm not championing the virtues of any form of government, but rather commenting on the following tailored jersey quote:

Republics are ugly and brutish in comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Queen is dead. Long live the king. God bless Queen Elizabeth. I wonder what regnal name Charles will choose. I’d choose George VII to honor the history of that great name. I look forward to seeing Charles’ coronation. The coronation of the British monarch is one of the most beautiful ceremonies in the world with deep meaning if you’re a Christian, especially Anglican. Fuck the monarchy haters on this board. The British love the institution. It is one of the few institutions remaining imbued with history, faith, beauty and mystery. The people’s love their monarch as the embodiment of their nation is beautiful and something that people who live in republics miss out on. 

That’s some fucked up bullshit. Royal oppressors of the Empire, fucking German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha interlopers. The Brits need to wake up and be a republic, spiking all these inbred Nazi sympathizers.

3 minutes ago, HouTex said:

It's so much fun to judge history and historical figures by modern standards.

If we did that at least  90% of people alive right now deserve to burn in hell. Definitely most people on this board. I often find the people who are the cruelest (or certainly take pleasure in the death of people like QE2) about it usually are just pissed they will never even remotely come close to having a life like that. They’d be a king or a queen in a heartbeat though if it were possible. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

oh snap.  meghan's not going to scotland.  harry's going by hisself.

Look, she’s awful, as is Harry.  But she honestly would get crucified for either decision. Show up and she’s making it all about her and trying to garner more attention. Not show up and she’s snubbing the Queen and family. She was screwed either way. But she brought it upon herself.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I assume they are going to follow this entire ten plus day plan…

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/what-happens-queen-dies-detailed-27942694

Day 10 (spoiler alert) Funeral…

Not going to say it was planned for today, but having a 10 day plan start on a Thursday and end with the funeral landing on a Saturday is the best timeline they could ask for.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II
5 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Look, she’s awful, as is Harry.  But she honestly would get crucified for either decision. Show up and she’s making it all about her and trying to garner more attention. Not show up and she’s snubbing the Queen and family. She was screwed either way. But she brought it upon herself.

They both overplayed their hand and played it too early. But they got in on getting the money while they were still somewhat popular and youngish. They knew they’d be supporting themselves as soon as the Queen passed away. I’m guessing Andrew and Fergs and their kiddos are sweating bullets right now. Charles is kind of rumored to be a miser that way on paying for other royals. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Covri said:

Not going to say it was planned for today, but having a 10 day plan start on a Thursday and end with the funeral landing on a Saturday is the best timeline they could ask for.

Pretty sure they put their last king down in time to run the story in the next day's paper, so I wouldn't put it past them.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It’s just a simple lack of understanding (or interest) in how the British monarchy works. 

• Hook 'Em 3