The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

22 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

a lot of vitriol from former colonies against the woman who has in the last 30 years or so, realized the mistakes of her country and worked to repair the pain, sufferinging and admitting fault and apologizing, and they want to dance on her grave.

In 1979 The IRA killed her favorite Cousin (as well as him being Phillip's Great-uncle and mentor),

Yet on her last trip to Ireland she made multiple symbolic concessions and apologized to the people of Ireland

she wasnt perfect and her historical family have a bad, bad reputation for empire building, and the chaos and destruction that goes with that... but she was legitimately trying to mend relations and yet folks want to celebrate her death.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Irish but they have a biological imperative to hold a grudge.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

In term of caring about monarchies, one area to think about is history. Royal leaders is often a way to referring to periods of time. This goes back Egyptian and Roman times, and a fair amount of European royalty.  Japan's emperors and eras share the same name.

I was perusing some of her former titles. In Hong Kong, her former title was Boss Lady but in Cantonese.  She just missed out in being the Empress of India, but she was the monarch of Pakistan for the first few years of her monarchy.

Just now, 'stache said:

So does the title pass automatically? Weird that there's a King now. Not so charming.

Yes, "The King and Queen Consort" is mentioned in the announcement.

Wow, that is weird to read. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Will there be a literal coronation where chuck puts on a crown?   That’s pretty bad ass. 

Yes but it won’t be for awhile.  He assumes the title immediately upon the Queen’s death, but the coronation will be some time from now after planning.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was perusing some of her former titles. In Hong Kong, her former title was Boss Lady but in Cantonese.  

it's funny, the three literal words are "business head old woman".  not the most glamourous title one's heard.  

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So is there anyone that assumes the duties of the monarch until charles’ coronation/ascension?

I'm pretty sure Charles is now the king.  The coronation is the ceremony.  Edward VIII was king until he abdicated and he was never coronated. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1283823/Royal-shock-King-Edward-VIII-coronation

"While many people believe someone cannot become King or Queen until their coronation, the process is actually automatic.

King Edward became Edward VIII when his father, King George V, died on January 20, 1936."

• Hook 'Em 1

damn. 

my dad was stationed in germany during the korean war. he got a furlough and went with a couple of army buds to london to get drunk and have themselves a time.

they get to london, and the city is packed. there's nowhere to stay. turns out they arrived the day before elizabeth's coronation. they stayed in a random family's attic and attended the event.

not so cool story bro, i guess.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

"Queen Consort" sounds like a prostitute. They seriously can't come up with a better title? 

They have to deal with the touchy subject that some Brits felt that only Diana should have received the Queen title from marrying Charles. I believe the Royal Family has previously indicated that Camilla would not be named Queen. 

Charles can decide that for himself now.

• immamac changed the title to The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II