The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

29 minutes ago, HouTex said:

If you believe The King's Speech, Mrs. Simpson acquired certain skills from an establishment in Shanghai.  The look on Churchill's face after that line was perfect.  I took it to mean that she gave an incredible blow job.

I read it to mean that Edward VIII liked to be pegged.  It seems to run in the family.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Crass, but is any of it inaccurate?

I don't know. As a patriotic American, I've always considered it my sacred duty to not give a shit about the British monarchy.

QE2 seems like she was better than most (all?) monarchs and other lesser inbred royalty though.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Her final demise is interesting and a bit sad due to the seat she's held as history unfolds. I do hope though that her death is also the last gasp of the British monarchy. She had some excellent personal qualities but as a whole they're a despicable lot.

Yeah this seems as good a time as any to just wrap it up. Of course, they're not gonna do that.

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Her final demise is interesting and a bit sad due to the seat she's held as history unfolds. I do hope though that her death is also the last gasp of the British monarchy. She had some excellent personal qualities but as a whole they're a despicable lot.

Ok, I take back my tepid acceptance of her. She fucking ruled.

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't know. As a patriotic American, I've always considered it my sacred duty to not give a shit about the British monarchy.

QE2 seems like she was better than most (all?) monarchs and other lesser inbred royalty though.

I'm with you, but I'm also fascinated by all the hate.

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

a lot of vitriol from former colonies against the woman who has in the last 30 years or so, realized the mistakes of her country and worked to repair the pain, sufferinging and admitting fault and apologizing, and they want to dance on her grave.

In 1979 The IRA killed her favorite Cousin (as well as him being Phillip's Great-uncle and mentor),

Yet on her last trip to Ireland she made multiple symbolic concessions and apologized to the people of Ireland

she wasnt perfect and her historical family have a bad, bad reputation for empire building, and the chaos and destruction that goes with that... but she was legitimately trying to mend relations and yet folks want to celebrate her death.

I feel like the Irish get to keep holding a grudge for at least another couple of hundred years. 

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I felt the same way about British royalty in general until I was in my early 30's.  Now that I've read every biography on my avatar (who was 1/2 American) and many of the books he wrote, including the History of the English Speaking Peoples, and several other books about English and European history, I've become an Anglophile in most things.  I'm Swiss if the issue is whether to abolish the British monarchy as royal and sovereign, but at least from Queen Victoria on the Brits have mostly been a force for good in the world.  

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I felt the same way about British royalty in general until I was in my early 30's.  Now that I've read every biography on my avatar (who was 1/2 American) and many of the books he wrote, including the History of the English Speaking Peoples, and several other books about English and European history, I've become an Anglophile in most things.  I'm Swiss if the issue is whether to abolish the British monarchy as royal and sovereign, but at least from Queen Victoria on the Brits have mostly been a force for good in the world.  

I feel like the Irish, Indians, and Pakistanis may have something to say about that.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

The Anglo-Saxons certainly benefited from the Roman conquest in the long-term. Most empires leave a lasting legacy of modernization, innovation, science, and liberalism in their wake - it's a painful process to be sure. But whatever, it's a clash of cultures, people conquering people. Is what it is. 

• immamac changed the title to The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II