The London Bridge Has Fallen - The Legacy of Queen Elizabeth II

956 Worldwide

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm no historian, but I think "thou shalt not steal" and "thou shalt not kill" are pretty old standards.

I think the killing people is bad thing may even be older than the bible.  But we can't be sure.  Not like anybody wrote anything down before that.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

He's Charles III until he decides otherwise.  He may still change the name at his coronation.

Choosing a regnal name is one of the first acts of a new monarch. Coronation will not happen for a while, possibly a year to 1.5 years based on past precedent. Choosing Charles is a bad way to start one’s reign. Horrible legacy and anything that harkens to the Stuart reign is bad in my opinion. In a perfect world, Charles would abdicate from the start. Prince William and his wife are everything you’d want in a monarch and queen consort. Regardless, God bless the new King.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

That picture of her alone kinda has a certain quality to it…like see y’all later. No doubt it looks different because of the context. But that was like two days ago and I figured it was her big goodbye. She was supposed to do some Zoom meeting last night but doctors said no…so I wonder if…I still think she passed away in her sleep and they found her this morning at whatever time the servant people help her get up and dressed. 

69BEC2D1-C44F-4ADB-A944-35DD1E731677.jpeg

E6E9FC74-8523-4501-8811-852BC9141479.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Ireland says "hi"

What the fuck did she ever do to the Irish?  I'm not talking about the Crown; I'm talking about the person who actually died.

If her uncle had not abdicated, she'd have been a nice old duchess about whom nobody would have an unkind word.  But here's the thing--she has exactly the same political power as that nice old duchess. Actually less--the duchess would have gotten to vote.

So why are people ostentatiously dunking on her death when they wouldn't dream of saying the same thing about some nice old duchess who never hurt anybody?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

you're overestimating the impact the name Charles is going to have.  first, no one really cares anymore.  if georges v and vi could deal with it, charles iii isn't going to be a problem unless he shoots himself in the foot.  second, he was widely expected to keep his name.  even after what he said about george vii most expected him to keep charles.  so as we say, the news is baked in.

• Hook 'Em 1

What the fuck did she ever do to the Irish?  I'm not talking about the Crown; I'm talking about the person who actually died.
If her uncle had not abdicated, she'd have been a nice old duchess about whom nobody would have an unkind word.  But here's the thing--she has exactly the same political power as that nice old duchess. Actually less--the duchess would have gotten to vote.
So why are people ostentatiously dunking on her death when they wouldn't dream of saying the same thing about some nice old duchess who never hurt anybody?

People like to make themselves look smart. “Don’t you recall that time 1000 years ago this tribal king led a war that wiped off another tribe that falls within current geographical borders…yeah, that’s why I hate that country”.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

How many people really are though? There's a few snarks here and there and there's some postcolonials that will hate anything to do with the crown whether she was at fault or not, but I'm not seeing anyone that matters saying anything negative.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

No shit. Her husband’s uncle was killed in a boat explosion by the IRA and it’s not like you ever heard her make a significant .issue of it. I suspect he’s confusing Thatcher with the Queen.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

i haven't actually seen any of this dunking you refer to so maybe people are being gross somewhere. i think there is a difference between being gross and nasty to a person passing away and someone being disgusted by the continued existence of a monarchy.

however, she was the sovereign.  and the u.k. and its monarchists go to great pains to conflate the person with the sovereign, the crown with the soul of a nation...and you can't have that in just one direction.  if she embodied the continuity, unification, and soul of a nation...then people are naturally going to impose that in both directions.  argentines who died in the falklands aren't going to care if she was a nice old lady given what she represents.  she was the sovereign, she was the head of state, and she had royal prerogative...she met regularly with the prime minister and was privy to the nation's secrets throughout her reign.  so if she is the sovereign and the embodiment of the nation...then when the nation undertakes awful things, there is a natural association.  particularly when the sovereign lives such an overwhelmingly charmed and rich life on the backs of taxpayers and national riches gained from such ugly affairs.

resentment, jealousy, anger, whatever it is...i would say that overwhelmingly, elizabeth was someone who intended to reconcile and be contrite in the nation's mistakes...but what did she ever give up other than a "sorry" speech in order to achieve it?  she still had corgis with servants that lived better than half of the working class of wales...and certainly far better than her colonial subjects.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Let me put it to you this way.

Would you hate Bob Stoops if he'd never coached at OU?

He didn't do anything to us, either. He just coached a football team that just happens to be our biggest rival and out-coached ol' butterteeth.

She's the head of state for the UK. Do the Irish need another reason?

• Like 1

I see how this thread is going. Will just pass on a few words. 

Barbara Tuchman- 

The muffled tongue of Big Ben tolled night by the clock as the cortege left the Palace, but on Dynasty's clock it was sunset, and the sun of the old world was setting in a dying blaze of splendor never to be seen again. 

And this was sent to my by a good friend who was part of Her Majesty's security detail. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Now that the Queen has passed, I think we can all agree that strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just cause some watery tart threw a sword at them. The Britons were living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy, exploiting the workers and hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic social differences in their society. There is violence inherent in the system! People are being repressed!

Now, Britons can move on to an autonomous collective, an anarcho-syndicalist commune, taking turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major issues.

They would be lost without their figurehead, although Chuck doesn't seem to have much persona nor gravitas 

“Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Now that the Queen has passed, I think we can all agree that strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just cause some watery tart threw a sword at them. The Britons were living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy, exploiting the workers and hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic social differences in their society. There is violence inherent in the system! People are being repressed!

Now, Britons can move on to an autonomous collective, an anarcho-syndicalist commune, taking turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week, but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major issues.

tumblr_ok5mfbiLmC1rourwbo1_540.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, sidis said:

i haven't actually seen any of this dunking you refer to so maybe people are being gross somewhere. i think there is a difference between being gross and nasty to a person passing away and someone being disgusted by the continued existence of a monarchy.

however, she was the sovereign.  and the u.k. and its monarchists go to great pains to conflate the person with the sovereign, the crown with the soul of a nation...and you can't have that in just one direction.  if she embodied the continuity, unification, and soul of a nation...then people are naturally going to impose that in both directions.  argentines who died in the falklands aren't going to care if she was a nice old lady given what she represents.  she was the sovereign, she was the head of state, and she had royal prerogative...she met regularly with the prime minister and was privy to the nation's secrets throughout her reign.  so if she is the sovereign and the embodiment of the nation...then when the nation undertakes awful things, there is a natural association.  particularly when the sovereign lives such an overwhelmingly charmed and rich life on the backs of taxpayers and national riches gained from such ugly affairs.

resentment, jealousy, anger, whatever it is...i would say that overwhelmingly, elizabeth was someone who intended to reconcile and be contrite in the nation's mistakes...but what did she ever give up other than a "sorry" speech in order to achieve it?  she still had corgis with servants that lived better than half of the working class of wales...and certainly far better than her colonial subjects.

You obviously don't spend enough time on Twitter.

And as far as reconciliation, a "sorry" speech is really all she can do.  She doesn't have any political authority to do that.  And even that speech has to be approved by the government.

18 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

He didn't do anything to us, either. He just coached a football team that just happens to be our biggest rival and out-coached ol' butterteeth.

Bob Stoops called the plays.  Elizabeth couldn't constitutionally call the plays; she couldn't even vote for the play-caller.

17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Monarchies are absurd, and inherited wealth is a plague upon humanity.

At least the elite in this country come by their status honestly, through the swindling of consumers and the exploitation of the working class.

I agree.  Inheritance is really the only honest way of obtaining wealth.

• Hook 'Em 1

Monarchies are absurd, and inherited wealth is a plague upon humanity.
At least the elite in this country come by their status honestly, through the swindling of consumers and the exploitation of the working class.

See, that’s what I’m SAYIN’.

Seriously, I find it odd that some take offense to the take of “having an entire nation ruled by a single family because of some battle they won over a rival family 500 years ago, and they perpetuated their hold on power by sick inbreeding, maybe isn’t something to admire.” WTF? I thought we were Americans around here? “Fuck hereditary kings” is part of our core DNA.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See, that’s what I’m SAYIN’.

Seriously, I find it odd that some take offense to the take of “having an entire nation ruled by a single family because of some battle they won over a rival family 500 years ago, and they perpetuated their hold on power by sick inbreeding, maybe isn’t something to admire.” WTF? I thought we were Americans around here? “Fuck hereditary kings” is part of our core DNA.

What have elections ever gotten us

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Bob Stoops called the plays.  Elizabeth couldn't constitutionally call the plays; she couldn't even vote for the play-caller.

Liz was basically the horses pulling the sooner schooner.  a figurehead, with no agency in the thing, and no effect in the on-field action.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You say this as if the Irish aren't detestable people in their own right