Trevor Noah’s reign of terror comes to an end.

BehoId, The Underminer!

i don't know, he kept the job for 7 years. i think he did well with the younger demographic. He must have, because i tried and i tried, but after a half a year i gave up on watching.

and social clips that would make the rounds thru the years didnt impress me enough to come back. I couldn't even tell you what channel comedy central is on any more. It used to be much-watch TV for my wife and I back during Stewart's tenure - every night at 10pm we would tune in.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes, but they had John Oliver right there. He had filled in as host for that summer when John Stewart was making his movie and the show didn’t miss a beat.

I know that he started his HBO show before Stewart retired (or maybe it had been announced?) but Comedy Central should have done whatever they could do to keep him. I get that HBO may very well have out-bid them, and maybe Oliver wanted to do his own thing, but he was the natural successor and would have kept the show great.

I agree, Oliver is much more enjoyable and funny.

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes, but they had John Oliver right there. He had filled in as host for that summer when John Stewart was making his movie and the show didn’t miss a beat.

I know that he started his HBO show before Stewart retired (or maybe it had been announced?) but Comedy Central should have done whatever they could do to keep him. I get that HBO may very well have out-bid them, and maybe Oliver wanted to do his own thing, but he was the natural successor and would have kept the show great.

Oliver's current gig has got to be infinitely better for him than the daily grind on basic cable would be.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

Bro, it's only up from here.

That may be right. I have admittedly watched an infinitesimally low amount of Trevor Noah the past few years. 

I always thought there was something off about a South African being an authority for making fun of US politics. Just felt like too much disconnect. (And like he tried too hard to twist the knife rather than be funny - always felt like the balance was off)

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

It's all been downhill since Craig Kilborn.

I actually really liked Craig Kilborn in the OG Daily Show, which was nothing like what Jon Stewart developed when he took over.  It was more of a light-hearted news satire, sort of like HBO's Not Necessarily The News from the mid 1980s.  It never got too much into politics as far as I can remember.  Stewart's version was so much better -- hence the huge bump in viewers and influence.  But it was a completely different show. 

Trevor Noah was never as funny as either of them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I actually really liked Craig Kilborn in the OG Daily Show, which was nothing like what Jon Stewart developed when he took over. 

I did too.  I was completely serious in my post.  I never liked Stewart and never watched Noah.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

I did too.  I was completely serious in my post.  I never liked Stewart and never watched Noah.

I didn't like Stewart at first because I thought they had a good thing with Kilborn.  But I quickly warmed up to Jon.  I never watched Noah either, but would watch a couple random clips that may have been posted on social media, and never thought they were funny.

34 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Oliver was never happening. You don’t go from HBO back down to Comedy Central. They should’ve gone with Wyatt Cenac. 

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

i don't know, he kept the job for 7 years. i think he did well with the younger demographic. He must have, because i tried and i tried, but after a half a year i gave up on watching.

and social clips that would make the rounds thru the years didnt impress me enough to come back. I couldn't even tell you what channel comedy central is on any more. It used to be much-watch TV for my wife and I back during Stewart's tenure - every night at 10pm we would tune in.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's on comedy central.

It’s actually interesting, right now is when I’m realizing that we have moved past numbers associated with “channels” or that is happening rapidly. When I was a kid, Disney was 22 and Nick was 31.  Even before I cut the cord and have off and on used streaming TV I don’t think I’ve used memorized numbers to pull up a channel in forever.

What is on Comedy Central now? Broad City is over, right? South Park?

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I'm gonna run counter to popular opinion on Surly but I enjoyed his run and found him funny. I actually think he's a really good interviewer and enjoyed seeing him bring on conservative or GOP types and trying/having an earnest discussion with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I actually really liked Craig Kilborn in the OG Daily Show, which was nothing like what Jon Stewart developed when he took over.  It was more of a light-hearted news satire, sort of like HBO's Not Necessarily The News from the mid 1980s.  It never got too much into politics as far as I can remember.  Stewart's version was so much better -- hence the huge bump in viewers and influence.  But it was a completely different show. 

Trevor Noah was never as funny as either of them. 

this is really what i think.  i mock Kilborn now, but at the time i found it enjoyable.  it's just that he left after doing it for such a short time and transitioned to a career nosedive that it is funny to wax nostalgic about him now.

I watched it when Kilborn was the host too and I enjoyed it. But when Stewart took over it was like graduating from high school and going to college. The show got so much smarter and more relevant. And it was great for Stewart because before that he was basically a B-list comedian with what was at best a mediocre acting career. But Jon really found his groove on TDS. Now he appears before Congress fighting for legislation to help war veterans and 9/11 first responders and the folks that got sick from cleaning up the mess. He transformed that show and that show transformed him.

And he recruited much better comedic talent than SNL did during the same timeframe.

Pam mentioned Jay Leno above so I’ll add this. Jay Leno sucks. They should’ve given that job to Letterman or Shandling. But Shandling went on to make a fake late night talk show on HBO as Larry Sanders. There was an episode (or two) where the network was trying to push Larry out and bring in someone new. They were going with guest host Jon Stewart. But Jon blew his chance when he booked the Wu-Tang Clan as the musical guest.

”Damnit, I shouldn’t have gone with my instincts.”

There’s a classic scene where Hank meets the band. Hell, I’ll look for it...

Found it! And the clip includes some Scott Thompson who you might remember from Kids in the Hall (God, this was such a great show):

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Lhorn said:

The clips they showed on commercials for the show were cringy bad.  

I’d occasionally see clips of Trevor delivering a joke at the beginning of the CBS Morning News (now CBS Mornings and it’s gone downhill but apparently they just won an Emmy so less news and more audience appeal is a win), and they were never funny. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I watched it when Kilborn was the host too and I enjoyed it. But when Stewart took over it was like graduating from high school and going to college. The show got so much smarter and more relevant. And it was great for Stewart because before that he was basically a B-list comedian with what was at best a mediocre acting career. But Jon really found his groove on TDS. Now he appears before Congress fighting for legislation to help war veterans and 9/11 first responders and the folks that got sick from cleaning up the mess. He transformed that show and that show transformed him.

And he recruited much better comedic talent than SNL did during the same timeframe.

Pam mentioned Jay Leno above so I’ll add this. Jay Leno sucks. They should’ve given that job to Letterman or Shandling. But Shandling went on to make a fake late night talk show on HBO as Larry Sanders. There was an episode (or two) where the network was trying to push Larry out and bring in someone new. They were going with guest host Jon Stewart. But Jon blew his chance when he booked the Wu-Tang Clan as the musical guest.

”Damnit, I shouldn’t have gone with my instincts.”

There’s a classic scene where Hank meets the band. Hell, I’ll look for it...

Found it! And the clip includes some Scott Thompson who you might remember from Kids in the Hall (God, this was such a great show):

I discovered the Larry Sanders show earlier this year. I love it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I discovered the Larry Sanders show earlier this year. I love it.

It’s brilliant from start to finish. I’d put it up there with The Wire as one of the best tv shows of all time. But it’s a comedy and they don’t generally get the same consideration when talking about all-time bests as dramas do. I can rank the seasons of The Wire (2, 1, 3, 4, 5) but I’m not sure I can rank the seasons of Larry Sanders. I can say that while the final season of The Wire is definitely the least of the series, the final season of Sanders has to be one of the best final seasons of any show ever. It helps that since it was modeled after the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, they had a formula they could follow. But that final episode was epic.

The whole concept of the series was genius. Great cast, great writing, great improv, great guest stars. Everybody should see it. I’ve been slowly working my way through the DVDs again. I’m just ready to start season 4.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oliver was never happening. You don’t go from HBO back down to Comedy Central. They should’ve gone with Wyatt Cenac. 

I know. I wasn’t meaning they could get him back from HBO. I’m saying that they should have tried to secure him as Stewart’s successor before he left. 

That was perfectly clear that summer that he filled in for Stewart. I don’t recall the exact timing from when Oliver left to do his show and Stewart retired, but i don’t recall it being very long.

Of course, not knowing what went on behind the scenes they may have tried and he may not have been interested for any number of reasons, from not wanting to follow Stewart on the Daily Show to already talking with HBO about his own show.

But yeah agreed that Wyatt Cenac would have been a great choice.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Some of Stewarts correspondents:

John Oliver

Stephen Colbert

Steve Carrell

Ed Helms

Rob Riggle

Also appearing

Sam Bee

Jordan Klepper at the end

Josh Gad briefly who is pretty funny

Michael Che who went to SNL

Rob Corddry

Wyatt Cenac

Jason Jones

Somewhere between three and five people that are legitimate stars in there plus a lot of good comedians that aren't that far from the upper tier.  It's really impressive.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

He wasn't my bag, but I know my Gen Z son is a big fan.  I will say, his off script moments with the crowd between bits/resets were always pretty entertaining.

I didn't watch him save for when if there was a guest that I wanted to see. I bolded your comment because IMO that was really the only bit that made me chuckle sometimes. When Anna Kendrick popped out unscripted for Between the Scenes it was one of the better ones and that was more due to her funny takes than his.