Gone posters

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This would be one helluva last post for him. 

Spoiler

Disagree in part w/the feel of the car point, agree with most of the rest. Just got back from a week in UK, plus have driven numerous times in British-cultured countries (i.e. Caribbean). One thing apparently new, some cars now have blinkers on left side/wipers on right as we're used to (my car did), especially rental cars made in other countries.

It doesn't take long to get the basic feel of the car, but driving there has a variety of conditions and unusual stuff. Plus, no matter what, it takes most Americans a lot more focus to keep the car centered on the left side - being used to driving on the right, most of us are pretty much unconscious about that. But in Britain, you are constantly thinking about it, taking up brainpower that normally is used for 2nd-level functions in an American car.

The dreaded roundabouts are okay especially if you're used to any kind of traffic circles in the States (flowing clockwise though of course in UK), but there are some harrowing situations. One is that many of the "A" routes (usually 2 lane or 4 lane undivided) where you're going 65 suddenly end in a large roundabout, with medians between the lanes within the circle! This means you have to get into the exact lane you want or else just end up going the wrong way. The only way to overcome this is sheer familiarity - knowing the road exactly. 1-2 times over it will solve the problem usually. Also, most routes have the directions painted on the roadway, which gives little notice and often the writing is worn off. Yes they do have signs but often they're plied with a diagram of the roundabout, with as many as 3-4 routes marked and a list of destinations under each - it's like a page from War and Peace at times. Fortunately most roundabouts are smaller and less crowded with signage and traffic. The major routes (the "M"s), equal to interstates, are easy to drive but the flow is reversed - faster lanes towards the right, not left, and 90% of on/off ramps are on the left of the main highway.

You are correct about the roads being narrow - and in fact most of them are much narrower than here (again the "M"s are wide though). Many roads have to waft through Medieval towns and so the lanes are very narrow.  It does take a little practice to get used to the turns - right turn is across traffic while left is a direct turn. That's not too hard but yes there are some places you might not easily be able to see the lanes (British markings are a little rough sometimes).

Driving isn't too hard and can actually be fun there. But make no mistake - it takes a lot more energy and concentration than in the States, mostly because you can't afford to relax and go "brain dead" as you can do here, being so used to it. The main thing is start out on unbusy roads, get the feel, and then work up into traffic only after being VERY comfortable with the car's handling. But it can be done without much struggle. BTW they still rent out (and drive) far more sticks than automatics... they're getting more in the rental car stocks, but it might cost extra (I always drive a stick and it's a lot of fun, plus it keeps me focused more than an automatic).

Don't worry about driving in London - you pay a fee to be able to do so (congestion fee). Great idea. For most big cities, the speeds are slower so you have more time, but the worst enemy for an American driving in Britain - the dreaded one-way street - lurks. The #1 cause of accidents is thinking you're going the "British" way turning on a street but it's one way, or you come out of a one-way where traffic suddenly has 2 ways (and is often not well marked). But that's fairly rare, though worth mentioning.

All in all, driving in Britain can get fun but for Americans you really can never let up. It takes more out of you but as long as you stay focused, it's fine - and weirdly differently enjoyable. It's also sinful and evil, but that's another story.

Edit: The comments about wives/passengers going batshit cray with stress is spot on. It's VERY tough sitting in the passenger seat constantly watching the car get way too close to curbs and shit on their side (the left). My wife had a terrible time and frankly hated it even though she said I drove well (well except the one time I hit a low curb sticking out at night on an unfamiliar Oxford road!). Be sure each person smokes a peace pipe - driver says I won't yell at passenger for looking horrified, and passenger promises not to mother-in-law it to shout comments like "you're too far over!" or "watch it" and whatnot. Passengers unused to UK driving probably get much more stressed out than drivers, who are at least doing something and have some control over it!

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/27784-anybody-driven-in-england/?do=findComment&comment=4769556

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I guess MeerkatBong is no more.  Let's observe a moment of silence.  Or not. 

Actually, fuck that guy.  Poor man's Anastasis (that's not a compliment, BTW). 

image.thumb.png.7923050d1ff3d092fca538c01bd47ddb.png

He's hamsterhookah or some bullshit like that now. Chrispy is way too damaged to take a hint

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, immamac said:

I think his kid had some mental disability and people kept using the word retard so he left. 

I’m pretty sure he (Numbers’ son) is autistic or has Asperger’s. That is why he’d lose his mind in vax threads. It’s probably a good thing he left before Covid, seemingly. I don’t know him but know he’s a neighborhood guy. Nice guy; crazy about some things I’d never agree with him on, but I’ve never been in his shoes.

Edited by Porterhouse

19 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m pretty sure he (Numbers’ son) is autistic or has Asperger’s. That is why he’d lose his mind in vax threads. It’s probably a good thing he left before Covid, seemingly. I don’t know him but know he’s a neighborhood guy. Nice guy; crazy about some things I’d never agree with him on, but I’ve never been in his shoes.

At one point he lived in San Clemente CA, or am I remembering that wrong? 

rpongett appears to be alive and well, and still practicing law on Los Angeles.  I haven't seen a post from him in years.

hpslugga is still around.  I'm pretty sure he posted recently, but it may have been in another handle, but he identified himself.  He said that he's out of coaching these days. 

Edited by Gil Bang