Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi

The Ace of Aces

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

honest question: how culturally relevant is MM to 18-21 year old black dudes? i feel like 80% of our athletes must feel like he's a really old celebrity that they don't actually know a lot about. 

What you don't think all 18-21 year old black dudes dream of driving Lincolns?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

honest question: how culturally relevant is MM to 18-21 year old black dudes? i feel like 80% of our athletes must feel like he's a really old celebrity that they don't actually know a lot about. 

I’m an old white dude and I feel like he’s a really old celebrity that I don’t actually know a lot about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

C’mon now Robert plant lived here for a while. And Janine lindenmulder.

Oh, I know Bobby Plant was here.  I only saw him a couple times.  Now Janine...that's somebody I would have loved to have seen a few times.  Yes, I realize a city of our size has more than its share of pseudo-celebs.  Just seemed like for a hot minute we had more than our fair share of saucy females from the film industry is all (both proper cinema and adult genre).  Now it's the psychotic game show hosts out in the hill country you gotta watch out for.  'Cause they'll get you...they'll get you!  

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Thats what I love about them 18-21 year old…wait what??

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

He's a famous charismatic celebrity, they might not know who he is when he shows up but they'll know when he leaves

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, harpercollins said:

Well that is an impressive level of bitchassedness to get sanctimonious vibes from my post about the girls going to high school in Abilene.

Merry Christmas, you giant babies. Now I am on a high horse.

Conveniently ignored the report below. “It wasn’t the 55% of undergraduates being sexually assaulted, it was the hypocrisy.” ~Norm Macdonald

https://thedailytexan.com/2017/03/24/fenves-releases-campus-sexual-assault-survey/

22 minutes ago, troph said:

wait a minute, Brian bozworth lives in Austin? Holy freight train mother of god that’s whacked out.  

I haven’t lived in Austin in 15 years and I know he lives in Austin.  Apparently everyone thinks he’s a righteous dude despite his college shenanigans, which is a big hurdle to overcome for a lot of Austinites.

45 minutes ago, troph said:

wait a minute, Brian bozworth lives in Austin? Holy freight train mother of god that’s whacked out.  

Yes it’s annoys people that he’s from OU but he is pretty much well liked by anyone he runs into down there.  There’s a lot of stories on here.  I’d never live in Austin unless the alternative was anything in OK (or anything else in Texas).  Smart guy.  

1 hour ago, troph said:

Yep. It fucking pisses me off too. Cocksucker talks all sorts of shit about Austin and the state of Texas, so of course he fucking lives here. Piece of fucking shit

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes it’s annoys people that he’s from OU but he is pretty much well liked by anyone he runs into down there.  There’s a lot of stories on here.  I’d never live in Austin unless the alternative was anything in OK (or anything else in Texas).  Smart guy.  

Please don't humanize that mother fucker. Thanks

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

you should be kicked in the nuts for this

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

you should be kicked in the nuts for this

Saw him on some British talk show about 10-15 years ago.  Guy asked him about Bonzo and asked why nobody else in the band had a nickname. And plant said something like “do I look like a Bobby to you?”  Stuck with me.  I mean James was Jimmy.  Jones always went my John Paul.  And plant has always been Robert.  And then he said “or Robert Plant, Order of the British Empire” to be formal. 

anyway, go horns tonight.  

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I’m guessing the rumors about them causing drunken scenes at Donn’s Depot are actually true then.  

Donn's is still there? Wow. I have a few blurry memories that involve Donn's, Touche's on 6th and Katz's or Cisco's.

I believe it was around the time I discovered that I actually needed some sleep if I wanted to function the next day.

What was the place on the corner to the west of Touche's? was it the Oasis?

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Google translate English to English. Free read

This worked.  I suspect this loophole will last another 2 weeks.  Anyway the article essentially said he should be fired based on the felony charge and speculated that he hasn’t yet because the BOR is afraid of a lawsuit, or at least afraid of not being prepared for one.  He doesn’t give a reason why, in his view, there shouldn’t be any further investigation. 

54 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Anyone have these articles?

The new year will bring with it renewed hopes and dreams of something greater than what we've witnessed over the past 12 months, but for the University of Texas, a decision must be made.

Expect it later rather than sooner.

Suspended men's basketball coach Chris Beard’s tenure hangs in the balance, but his cloudy sky could be clearing. His accuser in his felony domestic violence case has since softened her initial statements to police on Dec. 12, telling the American-Statesman and police over the weekend that the coach might have been acting in self-defense.

“I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way,” she said in a statement Friday. "It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone’s support and prayers during this difficult time.”

Her statement appears to weaken the case against Beard, but it can also be viewed as a brilliant job of lawyering by Perry Minton. Anyone who studies law could see this scenario coming: Accuser calls the police to report a physical altercation. Police arrive and arrest the person accused of an attack. Accuser later changes the story.

If you're viewing this through an objective lens, you knew a changing of the details was a possibility, given the enormous amount of money that could be lost — about $30 million in this case — had Beard been charged, convicted and/or terminated.

For whatever reason, the narrative has changed. Only Beard and his accuser know what happened in that house because they were the principals involved. The prosecution can still move forward with the case if it sees fit, depending on photos that might illustrate what happened. 

So Beard could return to the court. The state could drop the charges, clearing the way for the university to lift his suspension and get him back to coaching. That is, if the school is still interested in having him back.

Outside of acknowledging that the school had read and was reviewing the accuser's latest statement, UT athletic director Chris Del Conte hasn’t spoken publicly about the case, which is understandable given that this will be one of the biggest decisions of his tenure here, right up there with the firing of Tom Herman in 2020 and the hiring of Steve Sarkisian in 2021.

The basketball team, under Rodney Terry's watch, is 3-0 since Beard's suspension and will host Texas A&M-Commerce on Tuesday before opening Big 12 play at Oklahoma on Saturday. At 10-1, the Horns are having one of their best seasons in recent memory, but basketball is far down the priority list at this point. There are lives involved here.

As for Del Conte, expect him to play the long game. He’s a slow-burn type who's in no hurry to make this decision. He will continue to gather intel from the parties involved. I don’t see this decision being made before Thursday’s Alamo Bowl against Washington, but I also don’t see the Horns going through an entire season with the capable Terry at the helm.

With that said, it doesn’t take away the fact that the cops were called because Beard's accuser presumably feared for her safety. It doesn’t change the fact that she reported bite marks and bruises on her body, allegedly caused by Beard.

Either way, the optics remain horrible. 

If he walks, Beard will still retain some of the stigma that goes with being accused of domestic abuse. The hope is he didn’t attack a woman, because that would make him a coward. The bigger hope is that his accuser is being truthful and that she was with a man who honored and protected her and did not put his hands on her.

• Hook 'Em 3

This is playing out just like I knew it would and said as much from page 1 of this thread. We love what he's building here and the AD/Admin want it to continue. The dominos need to fall in place in order for that to happen and the first one did with her recanting and taking some of the blame. Next domino is DA tossing the case because he's not stupid enough to prosecute a high publicity case that will be in all the media with a victim/witness that has publicly said she was full of shit. If a DA comes out of that one looking stupid good chance he loses the next election. Not going to take that risk. 

The AD and Beard/his lawyer need to make sure this story is spun in his favor and hits the media as such. He gets another chance, because in sports people who lead to winning always get another chance, and he's reinstated back in proper time to make an impact on the next signing day. 

Behind the scenes CDC and possibly even Hartzell meet with Beard and make sure he understands they love what he's building here so that needs to continue but this is the 1 screw up he was able to survive here. Needs to make sure to structure his personal life in a manner where this can't happen again. 

Right or wrong it is how humans and human society works. Money is the loudest talker and ego/winning is right behind it. Chris Beard, for now, has both on his side. Having 1 domestic violence incident that wasn't filmed just isn't enough to overcome this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Anyone have these articles?

Spoiler

O’Neil: It’s time for Texas to act and remove Chris Beard as its coach

By Dana O'Neil

3h ago

Here are the facts:

In April 2021, when Texas signed Chris Beard to a seven-year, $5 million annual deal, it included — per the Austin-American Statesman, which released a copy of the contract — a standard conduct clause written into every Longhorns coaching contract. It allows the university to terminate or suspend Beard with cause if, “Any conduct (a) that the University administration reasonably determines is clearly unbecoming to a Head Coach and reflects poorly on the University, the Program, or The University of Texas System; or (b) resulting in a criminal charge being brought against Head Coach involving a felony, or any crime involving theft, dishonesty, or moral turpitude.”

On Dec. 12, police responded to a 911 call from the 1900 block of Vista Lane in Austin, Beard’s home. According to police report, officers found a woman who said “she had been assaulted and strangled by Christopher Michael Beard.’’ In the police affidavit, officers said his fiancée, Randi Trew, told them Beard “choked me, bit me, bruises all over my leg, throwing me around, and going nuts.’’ Officers noted a bite mark on her arm and abrasions on her face and leg.

They charged Beard with assault by strangulation/suffocation on a family member, a third-degree felony, and took him to Travis County jail.

Hours later, Beard stood before a magistrate, wearing a gray and black striped prison jumpsuit, his hands cuffed before him as the judge explained that he could no longer go within 200 yards of his home or Trew. Texas suspended Beard without pay.

On Friday, 11 days after Beard’s arrest, Trew issued a statement through her lawyer, saying that Beard had not attempted to strangle her and she never wanted him to be charged. “Chris did not strangle me, and I told that to law enforcement that evening. Chris has stated that he was acting in self-defense, and I do not refute that. I do not believe Chris was trying to intentionally harm me in any way. It was never my intent to have him arrested or prosecuted. We appreciate everyone’s support and prayers during this difficult time.”

The statement was issued a little after 6 p.m. local time, after the Austin police department public information office, which handles media calls, had closed. The district attorney’s office also had wrapped up business for the extended holiday weekend.

The university responded with its own statement: “We are reviewing the statement from Randi Trew. This matter is the subject of an internal investigation and the university does not comment on pending investigations.”

As of today, the case against Beard still exists. He is, per his case record, scheduled for a hearing on Jan. 18. By Texas law, the district attorney can choose to pursue a case with or without Trew’s cooperation.

None of that is disputable. It happened.

The gray area — what actually happened between Beard and Trew, and where your opinion might lie on women recanting statements of alleged assault — is what some might say makes this messy or complicated.

Except it doesn’t. Texas gave itself an out clause. And it needs to use it.

Texas has the right to terminate an employee of its state university for conduct unbecoming and for being charged — not found guilty, but just being charged — with a felony. Beard, cuffed and head bowed, standing before a magistrate on the afternoon that the Longhorns played Rice would, in the eyes of most, satisfy the conduct unbecoming portion of the clause.

Yet even if you want to look past that somehow, the second part is not up for discussion. Charged with a felony. Period. Goodbye.

So what gives? Why is mighty Texas, the institution so big that it has its own TV network, the university so appealing it’s been gobbled up by the Southeastern Conference, and the state that prides itself on being bigger, badder and better than any other, being held hostage by a basketball coach?

It’s impossible to answer that, of course, since no one aside from acting head coach Rodney Terry, has said a word. The silence is deafening and subject to all sorts of speculation. So into the void, then, let’s invite the most likely of speculative assumptions: money. Firing people is tricky at any level. Firing high-profile people embroiled in complex legal cases is not easy, and when the lawyers get involved, simple decisions can become far more complicated. No doubt Beard’s side is arguing for reinstatement at best and, at worst, some sort of buyout. Lawsuits make people nervous.

So call the bluff, Texas. Invite the discovery.

Besides, this goes beyond the scope of athletic director Chris del Conte, or even Texas president Jay Hartzell. This lands directly at the feet of the Board of Regents, appointed by Gov. Greg Abbott and charged with overseeing the University of Texas system.

Their resumes, no surprise, read like a who’s who of the state’s elite and powerful, each not only successful in their own right but sitting on numerous boards across Texas. Board chairman Kevin Eltife is a former state senator and mayor of Tyler, Texas, and owner of a commercial real estate company. Vice-chair Janiece Longoria is an attorney and one of the founding members of the university’s Center for Women in Law. Vice-chair James “Rad” Weaver is chairman of an investment firm and is a director on the San Antonio branch of the Federal Reserve Bank. The university’s school of social work bears the name of regent Steven Hicks, thanks to his donation to the project. Nolan Perez is a physician and Kelcy Warren a CEO of an energy company. Jodie Lee Jiles is in commercial real estate, and Stuart Stedman is in investments.

These are people who make important, complex and expensive decisions every day. Who understand the consequences of both actions and inaction.

And who, above all else, can read a contract. They had to approve Beard’s contract in order for him to get the job. Presumably, they read it.

There is no good endgame here, no end around. There is no way that Chris Beard casually puts on the burnt orange again and walks the sideline like nothing happened, and everyone just gets along with the business of basketball.

And frankly, there doesn’t need to be.

Texas, mighty mighty Texas, gave itself an out clause.

It just needs to use it.

https://theathletic.com/4038260/2022/12/27/college-basketball-texas-chris-beard-coach/

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

And that's the point. The fact people can realistically believe this, regardless of whether or not it's true, is the wiggle room they can use. Ray Rice was stupid enough to do it in front of a camera. 

Watch what happens when objectively verifiable evidence from third parties is made known. 

People can realistically believe it because there’s more to the story than what’s mentioned in the probable cause affidavit. 

Feels like a lot of people are going to embarrassed one way or another - CB doesn’t get fired and the early “fire him and move on” crowd look dumb (I’m part of this group) or the “wait and see, no way we fire him” crowd is shocked when CDC and Hartzell/BoR do it anyways 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Watch what happens when objectively verifiable evidence from third parties is made known. 

People can realistically believe it because there’s more to the story than what’s mentioned in the probable cause affidavit. 

Some of you really know how to kill my afternoon buzz. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Feels like a lot of people are going to embarrassed one way or another - CB doesn’t get fired and the early “fire him and move on” crowd look dumb (I’m part of this group) or the “wait and see, no way we fire him” crowd is shocked when CDC and Hartzell/BoR do it anyways 

What about the “firing him based on an arrest or PC affidavit is insane” group that also thinks he easily could have been fired if the evidence showed he escalated the situation even without anything close to a conviction?

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My first post on this thread (#14):  "Uh, if he choked someone, he's fired."

I stand by that assessment.  Barring some extreme self defense circumstance -- a knife to the throat or a gun to the temple -- if he actually choked her, then in my mind that's it.  Too much size/strength differential to resort to potential lethal "defense" moves.

We don't know if that happened, and it seems less likely that it did given her statement, but even so it's difficult to parse the language in arrest reports, statements to the media, etc.  At this point the whole situation is sufficiently blurry, no doubt intentionally so, that Texas fans are just going to have to abide the school's decisions absent some kind of legal process, which seems highly unlikely.  Here we are.  Yay.

• immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi
  • immamac changed the title to Huge Piece of Shit and alleged Woman Abuser Chris Beard has been hired at Mississippi