the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

For once, most of the media seems to have it right

NYT: McCarthy’s Extraordinary Downfall Reflects an Ungovernable G.O.P.

WaPo: McCarthy ouster exposes the Republican Party’s destructive tendencies

Politico: The House G.O.P. is a Failed State

WSJ: Rebellion That Took Down McCarthy Was More Than a Decade in the Making (subheader: The willingness of a few House members to tear down their leaders raises the question: Can anyone lead the GOP in Congress?)

CNN: Matt Gaetz broke Kevin McCarthy for sport

LA Times: McCarthy flopped, but blame the chaos on the entire Republican Party

Also NYT: 

image.png.51ff33c7a9b752687690e0e58769c504.png

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A few GOPers have said they cannot vote for anyone unless they get a commitment that the MTV will be removed from the rules or the threshold changed. 

Except Ronnie Jackson, who think it is awesome and supports Trump for speaker.  

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

I think there's a strong possibility that McHenry ends up finishing the term unless there's a rule specifically preventing it. The rules are kind of muddy around this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Well, when they're made up on the spot, these things tend to happen.

Who even makes the decision if he can just be acting Speaker until January 2025? The House Parliamentarian, I guess? 

47 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

If there's a way to fill a bathtub with this I would get in and bathe in it. This interview and the bickering between Kilmeade and this magat is fucking GOLD. 

Also further proves the idiocy of people like @Fastbreak who think the Dems fucked up by allowing the American people to see how awful these clowns are.

Number of times this fuckstain brought up our national debt while Trump was in office:

Zero

• Hook 'Em 1

What a schmuck: https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/03/politics/pelosi-vacate-office-capitol-mchenry-interim-speaker/index.html

Kevin McCarthy was behind interim Speaker Patrick McHenry’s move to kick former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former Majority Leader Steny Hoyer out of their office spaces, two Republican sources told CNN.

GOP Rep. Garret Graves told reporters on Wednesday that McCarthy is getting the office that McHenry has ordered her to vacate.

“Look the deal is that the office that Pelosi is in right now is the office of the preceding speaker. Speaker Pelosi and other Democrats determined that they wanted a new … speaker, and it’s Kevin McCarthy. So, he’s getting the office,” he said.

Sources close to Pelosi and Hoyer say it was retaliation for Democrats siding against McCarthy in voting to vacate the speaker’s chair Tuesday. The unofficial offices are located near the House floor.

McCarthy and McHenry’s did not respond to requests for comment.

Graves then put the blame on Democrats for voting McCarthy out of office.

“I don’t know what they’re complaining about,” Graves said. “They created this situation.”

US Representative Patrick McHenry (R-NC) speaks to members of the media outside the office of US House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), at the US Capitol in Washington, DC, on October 3, 2023. McCarthy was fighting for his political life ahead of a vote expected Tuesday on whether to remove him as House speaker, forced by far-right critics angered by his work with Democrats. McCarthy sparked fury among the ultra-conservative wing of the party when he passed a bipartisan stopgap funding measure backed by the White House to avert a government shutdown on September 30, 2023. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP) (Photo by MANDEL NGAN/AFP via Getty Images)
Who is Patrick McHenry, the interim House speaker?
Pelosi on Tuesday said McHenry has ordered her to vacate her office in the Capitol building. She does maintain her regular office in the Longworth House office building. An email sent from McHenry’s office to Pelosi’s office just after 6 p.m. Tuesday evening that was viewed by CNN, stated, “Going to reassign h-132 for speaker office use. Please vacate the space tomorrow.”

Pelosi said in a statement that she was not in Washington, DC, to immediately move her belongings.

“With all of the important decisions that the new Republican Leadership must address, which we are all eagerly awaiting, one of the first actions taken by the new Speaker Pro Tempore was to order me to immediately vacate my office in the Capitol,” the California Democrat said. “Sadly, because I am in California to mourn the loss of and pay tribute to my dear friend Dianne Feinstein, I am unable to retrieve my belongings at this time.”

Feinstein, whose three decades in the Senate made her the longest-serving female US senator in history, died last week at age 90 following months of declining health. She will lie in state at San Francisco City Hall on Wednesday ahead of funeral services Thursday.

A look back on Sen. Dianne Feinstein's legacy
03:36 - Source: CNN
Pelosi added in her statement that the “eviction is a sharp departure from tradition,” saying: “As Speaker, I gave former Speaker Hastert a significantly larger suite of offices for as long as he wished.”

“Office space doesn’t matter to me, but it seems to be important to them,” she said. “Now that the new Republican Leadership has settled this important matter, let’s hope they get to work on what’s truly important for the American people.”

House Republican leadership also kicked Hoyer out of his Capitol hideaway office, his office confirmed to CNN on Wednesday.

A Republican aide for the House Administration Committee, which oversees office spaces, told CNN this was not a request made by the committee.

Analyst calls out GOP lawmaker's 'low-class move'
01:28 - Source: CNN
As speaker pro tempore, McHenry’s official title, the congressman will preside over the vote and selection of the House’s next speaker, with the ability to recess the chamber, adjourn it and recognize speaker nominations.

McCarthy as speaker was required to submit a confidential list to the clerk of people “in the order in which each shall act as Speaker pro tempore in the case of a vacancy,” according to House rules. McHenry, a strong ally of McCarthy, was the top name on that list.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Some top Dem strategists believe McCarthy wrongly assumed the Dem caucus would vote against the stopgap funding bill bc of the lack of Ukraine aid, so he could then blame the Dems for the shutdown. 

Then there’s the theory that Gaetz assumed the Dems would save McCarthy, so he felt there would be no consequences to his motion to vacate 

Television Love GIF by WE tv

• Haha 1

Several Republicans have confirmed that McCarthy did not offer the Democrats anything to save him. There is no way the Dems could have voted to keep him given that. It would have made zero sense. Amazing that McCarthy didn’t work out some sort of offer for the Democrats with the 210 republicans who supported him. So stupid. 

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Several Republicans have confirmed that McCarthy did not offer the Democrats anything to save him. There is no way the Dems could have voted to keep him given that. It would have made zero sense. Amazing that McCarthy didn’t work out some sort of offer for the Democrats with the 210 republicans who supported him. So stupid. 

There’s 5 Dems sitting in Trump districts. He didn’t even reach out to them. They were pretty prime targets. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

For once, most of the media seems to have it right

NYT: McCarthy’s Extraordinary Downfall Reflects an Ungovernable G.O.P.

WaPo: McCarthy ouster exposes the Republican Party’s destructive tendencies

Politico: The House G.O.P. is a Failed State

WSJ: Rebellion That Took Down McCarthy Was More Than a Decade in the Making (subheader: The willingness of a few House members to tear down their leaders raises the question: Can anyone lead the GOP in Congress?)

CNN: Matt Gaetz broke Kevin McCarthy for sport

LA Times: McCarthy flopped, but blame the chaos on the entire Republican Party

YARN | It only took six years. | The Shawshank Redemption (1994) | Video  clips by quotes | 538321ce | 紗

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gym Jordan said that Ukraine wasn't a top priority because that's not what Americans care about.  They care about the border and crime.  

Now, maybe I don't have the pulse of the nation, but I don't think that's accurate for the average American.  For fox news viewers, absolutely.

The latest Gallup poll indicates that the “Situation with Russia” is way, way down the list of concerns.

BTW, anyone who spends any considerable amounts of time on biased sources such as Fox and our own CR is not going to be able to speak for the ‘average’ American; neither source is representative.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Some top Dem strategists believe McCarthy wrongly assumed the Dem caucus would vote against the stopgap funding bill bc of the lack of Ukraine aid, so he could then blame the Dems for the shutdown. 

Then there’s the theory that Gaetz assumed the Dems would save McCarthy, so he felt there would be no consequences to his motion to vacate 

Television Love GIF by WE tv

They were both pretty clearly counting on the Dems acting like the same loser party that has always bailed them out of responsibility for their own behavior. 

Oops.

46 minutes ago, Cacti said:

The latest Gallup poll indicates that the “Situation with Russia” is way, way down the list of concerns.

BTW, anyone who spends any considerable amounts of time on biased sources such as Fox and our own CR is not going to be able to speak for the ‘average’ American; neither source is representative.  

I'm inclined to believe the general point is correct but that poll does nothing to prove it. Citing a poll of the single most important issue doesn't address how many people care about an issue. Unless you think only 1% of Americans care about abortion or national security. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The GOP has for serval cycles refused to negotiate except as hostage takers: give us something we want or else we shoot the hostage.  Dumbass McCarthy took himself hostage as a condition for his precious gavel and now people are upset that, unlike previous hostages (like “the American economy”), the Ds don’t give a shit if he got shot. 

It’s the guy who has been the person on the phone for the terrorists telling the cops “they’ll shoot me next” and the cops shrugging. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This is neither new nor unique. In the absence of a multiparty system, the two major parties are both coalitions of various groups.

Once in a while, those coalitions shift, and there's a bit of chaos for a while. We've just come out from under a major shift, where nearly all educated urban people have moved to the Democratic party, and blue collar workers have shifted to GOP (due to both Clintons and Trump).

Union households went 57-40 for Biden

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The GOP has for serval cycles refused to negotiate except as hostage takers: give us something we want or else we shoot the hostage.  Dumbass McCarthy took himself hostage as a condition for his precious gavel and now people are upset that, unlike previous hostages (like “the American economy”), the Ds don’t give a shit if he got shot. 

It’s the guy who has been the person on the phone for the terrorists telling the cops “they’ll shoot me next” and the cops shrugging. 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cacti said:

Man... I've been around here a long time. There was once a time when there were a lot more Conservatives around here (well, not right here, but over there). When Bush was President, the Shaggy population seemed to be majority Right.

What changed? 

Edited by Slacks
Punkshoeation
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Slacks said:

Man... I've been around here a long time. There was once a time when there were a lot more Conservatives around here (well, not right here, but over there) when Bush was President, the Shaggy population seemed to be majority Right.

What changed? 

You think that's remotely the same R as today?

• Hook 'Em 2