the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

35 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I can be nominated, right? 

I get about 5011 texts a day from Conservative politicians across the country asking me for money. Clearly I can represent us all. 

Nominate me. They (whomever they are) can't say no, or it's racist. 

I had to change my phone number from that shit. My grandmom is like 1000 years old and put me on one of those lists. Literally 10+ texts a day with some version of:

NANCY PELOSI WILL EAT YOUR BABIES!

DONATE HERE

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I had to change my phone number from that shit. My grandmom is like 1000 years old and put me on one of those lists. Literally 10+ texts a day with some version of:

DONATE HERE

It’s the 2020’s version of cat facts, but worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

DONATE HERE

I am 99% sure they think I'm another guy with my same name. I know the guy. He's an aggy and he worked in campaigns for an aggy or two, so he's automatically connected to Team Grift. I should text his number to them. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is so hilarious to me.  How do you go behind the curtain and negotiate and somehow LOSE votes?  

This is like George negotiating with NBC for a lower price for the pilot.

ea4b4744-6bb8-4407-9f87-105f23538b8d_tex

Because he and his followers are raging assholes.

Seriously has anyone ever gone this far? Has he never heard of the saying "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Seriously has anyone ever gone this far? Has he never heard of the saying "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar?"

If you are MAGA, it's not a matter of if you will be a target for MAGA, it's a matter of when. 

• Hook 'Em 7

29 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I haven't had enough of him being humiliated yet, so I hope he goes for it again.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Please....keep it up, Gymbo.  You insist that the American people want your sorry MAGA ass.  So, keep presenting the question to the nation's elected representatives.  Fuck around, find out, you treasonous trench of putrid runny yak shit.

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

If you are MAGA, it's not a matter of if you will be a target for MAGA, it's a matter of when. 

And eventually, maybe, the GQP will learn the lesson.  You don't negotiate with terrorists.  You hit them with a JDAM.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Please....keep it up, Gymbo.  You insist that the American people want your sorry MAGA ass.  So, keep presenting the question to the nation's elected representatives.  Fuck around, find out, you treasonous trench of putrid runny yak shit.

And eventually, maybe, the GQP will learn the lesson.  You don't negotiate with terrorists.  You hit them with a JDAM.

You keep saying "there is no bottom" but Jordan, MTG, et al are saying "NO BRISKET YOU ARE WRONG WE WILL KEEP DIGGING UNTIL WE FIND IT!!!!!!"

• Haha 3

If the anti-Jordan side has grown, I'm disappointed that we won't see any humiliating result for Jordan today.

He's running out of committee chairs to give away without pissing off the people he's already promised.  "The assistant to the chair is an honorable position and in line to be speaker next. I promise."

You guys talking about committee chairs... um, is he going to be making those sorts of promises? I understand at the start of a session, but we're in the middle. Is he going to be axing chairs already seated and replacing them? Doesn't seem like a good idea.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You guys talking about committee chairs... um, is he going to be making those sorts of promises? I understand at the start of a session, but we're in the middle. Is he going to be axing chairs already seated and replacing them? Doesn't seem like a good idea.

I’m quite sure he’s telling people that or something like that to secure votes. Logistics be damned 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If the anti-Jordan side has grown, I'm disappointed that we won't see any humiliating result for Jordan today.

Team Jordan is telling Rs to vote against the McHenry motion and he’s willing to go 100 ballots if that’s what it takes 

Republicans might be team politics, but MAGA is in it for themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If I can think of anyone who deserves your prayers it's the man who ignored kids' complaints about a doctor doing weird things to them, and a guy who tried to overthrow government.image.thumb.png.3b9a242916307d008681ec78c8736b2a.png

"I expected we'd lose a few votes after our repeated threats to shove a broomstick up the ass of anyone who votes against Gymbo. But I expect they'll come around once they realize we're serious!"

• Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m quite sure he’s telling people that or something like that to secure votes. Logistics be damned 

Yep. We're in the "As 5th grade class president I will abolish homework and provide free ice cream at lunch every day" stage of negotiations.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

A question, no offense intended. Where did you get the silly idea they're interested in governance?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It’s a coordinated attack that began with Jordan sending GOP reps back to their districts for astroturfed “grass roots” pressure campaigns to bully representatives. This isn’t some random coincidence 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It looked pretty obvious to me yesterday that there were quite a few people near the front of the alphabet who were voting for him even though they didn't want to.  Then when there were 4 no votes, guaranteeing that he couldn't win, the no votes flowed a lot more freely.

WSJ ed board out for a speaker seapker pro-tempore with expanded powers.

image.thumb.png.c07132f7e36dd402991148dd6f503e8c.png

image.thumb.png.be570e8a56054c077693cc51ad80abbb.png

It seems unlikely you could get enough republicans on-board for that, so there'd have to be a power-sharing arrangement with Jeffries before they D's would release enough votes to put it over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s a coordinated attack that began with Jordan sending GOP reps back to their districts for astroturfed “grass roots” pressure campaigns to bully representatives. This isn’t some random coincidence 

I get that but it wasn't going to be successful. He needed a charm campaign - not a bullying campaign. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It seems unlikely you could get enough republicans on-board for that, so there'd have to be a power-sharing arrangement with Jeffries before they D's would release enough votes to put it over the top.

No doubt the Democrats will want something in return but it won't be "power sharing". This is simply a vote to expand the powers of an existing position in the short term and isn't quite the same as a consensus on a permanent speaker. 

NEW -- HOW HOUSE DEMS THINK ABOUT EMPOWERING SPEAKER PRO TEM -- The general sense from the House Democratic leadership is that they are FOR empowering a speaker pro tem -- in this case, PATRICK MCHENRY. The thinking is this -- FROM DEMS: Stopping a Speaker Jordan is a big win for Dems. It's also a win to open the House again and get approps/security supplemental done. And potentially work on rules change to tweak MTV, etc. If Rs shut down the govt, that's on them. But it's important to get the House open.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, The Dog said:

No doubt the Democrats will want something in return but it won't be "power sharing". This is simply a vote to expand the powers of an existing position in the short term and isn't quite the same as a consensus on a permanent speaker.

So what would you call it? It may sound like a simple concept but in no way is it a simple vote. A vote to expand the speaker pro-tempore's powers won't get enough votes on the R side (edit - for a majority based entirely on R votes), and the D's aren't going to help them out of it (with any of their votes) without gaining some power in return. Those details will be a difficult negotiation. The guy with the gavel is a McCarthy-ite. No way the gop bomb throwers just give in after all this.

Also as a reporter and prognosticator, Jake Sherman is someone who should be ignored. He's self-serving slime.

Edited by Chopper

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's time like these I wonder where @TahoeHornis. All those years denying that the Republican Party was heading down a stupid path and that it's just a coalition of special policy interests. 

I wonder now that they stand for nothing if he's ready to admit he was wrong. Or if instead he just willingly wears the clown shoes to go get the donuts and coffee for the party meeting in Bugtussle, Alabama he always liked to talk about. 

You know exactly what became of him, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 2