Why won't Nikki Haley be the first female POTUS?

tantric superman

48 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Maybe the first thing we do is figure out how many politically ambitious politicians change their religion about the time they were entering politics. The second thing we do is figure out how many of those politicians have a history of major flip-flops on seemingly non-flip-flopable issues to pander to voters.   Once we establish that number, then we can move on to your question. 

As opposed to your proffered interrogation method, maybe use the more likely than not, look at the whole situation thing.  Of course we cannot know her true thoughts.  But your cavalier rejection of even the possibility that an ambitious politician who panders for votes on a side that has issues with the browns or non-‘murica, fuck yeah sounding names and HATES non-Jesus-y religions is puzzling.  Or not. 

I continue to find it fascinating that your both sides act always includes you falling off the fence on only one side. Hmmmm…..

I find it fascinating that you pretend to really care about the intersection between political and religious sincerity this much. And that you think that this is politically damaging stuff. I bet that she would fucking love to face political attacks on her faith. She married a methodist in 1996, and she converted in 1997. You are really going out of your way to make an argument when a fairly straight forward answer, one that plays out all the fucking time in mixed marriages, is right in front of your face (whether those marriages are mixed christian traditions or across different faith traditions altogether). But keep fighting the good fight to ensure religious sincerity is broadly and consistently interrogated as part of the American political process. I am all for it. I'll bring the matches and Fudge will bring the stake. 

Edited by Anastasis

21 hours ago, Anastasis said:

If she rubbed one out every once in a while she could probably get some release all that pent up militaristic imperialism. There’s a good number of you neoliberals that would benefit from same. 

Is this a Surly first, the suggestion that the problem with CR posters is that they just don't masturbate enough?

image.jpeg.cb0df34d17b74a1f7acadfaecd38bb10.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I find it fascinating that you pretend to really care about the intersection between political and religious sincerity this much. And that you think that this is politically damaging stuff. I bet that she would fucking love to face political attacks on her faith. She married a methodist in 1996, and she converted in 1997. You are really going out of your way to make an argument when a fairly straight forward answer, one that plays out all the fucking time in mixed marriages, is right in front of your face (whether those marriages are mixed christian traditions or across different faith traditions altogether). But keep fighting the good fight to ensure religious sincerity is broadly and consistently interrogated as part of the American political process. I am all for it. I'll bring the matches and Fudge will bring the stake. 

She was married first in the Sikh ceremony, and secondly in a Methodist ceremony. Which is cool, Nothing wrong with that at all. I just find it bizarre that you refuse to acknowledge that the GQP has an issue with non-Christians. 

I’m sure it is just a statistical anomaly that none of the 10 Jewish Senators are Republicans.   Or that 25 of 27 Jewish representatives are Democrats.  Nah man, no reason to start politics as a GOP non-Christian. 

I don’t give a shit but I’m sick, bored and enjoy arguing. You never responded to the Hillary Clinton as her Muse thing.  Can we agree that is bad? ‘Cause that is bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I don’t give a shit but I’m sick, bored and enjoy arguing. You never responded to the Hillary Clinton as her Muse thing.  Can we agree that is bad? ‘Cause that is bad. 

Haley is a horrible person on her own unique merits. But this is certainly not something that helps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Don Lemon-Squeezy Easy-Peasy has squared off on the age issue with known-Methodist candidate Haley. According to Don, Haley, born 6 years after he was, is past her prime. He said to Google it.

He should be fired - or at least suspended for that stupid misogynistic nonsense.  Doubly stupid because he had so much else to work with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

CA56B226-B8F3-41A8-9431-6899C860BFD5.thumb.jpeg.6d72562143013d028f9059034309202c.jpeg

I have not gone to her site.  Where does Darling Nikki stand on support for NATO?   Somebody needs to give her direct quotes from Trump, where he says we need to shut it down and it’s not useful and they’re leeches, and get her to comment on that.     If she does not agree with Trump, she loses primary votes. If she agrees with his traitorous concepts, she loses support from far more people who realize he will just be Putin’s puppet.

Come on world let’s get some microphones in her face. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh yay, so Don Lemon says something wrong and is held accountable, while they get to ignore their racism, sexism, ageism, etc. It’s Al Franken all over again. Her comments, like everything out of the gqp, is ageism against Biden. Lemon gets suspended, while she gets to raise millions. I just can’t anymore with this hypocrisy.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/18/2023 at 6:15 PM, naija said:

morally and intellectually repugnant.

To recap, the Civil War was merely a disagreement of tradition versus change.  And, "tradition" is also the reason she gave for defending the flag and agreeing with Confederate Memorial Month.  

And, for what it's worth, I think the interviewer asked the question in a way that would illicit an answer offensive to his group.  He didn't ask a question obscured by academia like, "what were the primary causes of the civil war?"  Something like that would give her leeway to lean into the states' rights nonsense that still passes for legitimate in some circles.  He asked "Why was the Civil War wrong?"  Straight-up, down the middle of the plate.  And she fucking dodged the obvious answer.  Because she is a fucking cowardly slimeball.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

George Washington was the President of the Constitutional Convention so this is not an incorrect statement.  He generally stayed out of the wrangling but he ran the meetings, if you will, so he did technically oversee the creation of the Constitution.

32 minutes ago, Felix said:

George Washington was the President of the Constitutional Convention so this is not an incorrect statement.  He generally stayed out of the wrangling but he ran the meetings, if you will, so he did technically oversee the creation of the Constitution.

Somehow, I don't think she knew that.

Yeah, again---first state to ratify is in December 1787.  Operational Control of Constitution goes "live" in March 1789.  Last state to ratify is May 1790.  Within those gaps, Washington is inaugurated as first POTUS.  It's as murky as a MAGA acolyte's understanding of a Sikh and a Muslim.  

As I recall from a bio about Washington (who is very interesting to me), the Constitutional Convention was illegally held under the rules of the Confederation. Washington's presence and prestige as chair of the convention likely made the creation of the Constitution possible. 

I truly believe that there is no United States without Washington. HIs greatness is diminished by his "possession" of people sold as slaves. I think he's the only slave-holding founder to provide (it wasn't just a matter of declaring an enslaved person free) for the eventual freedom of all people enslaved by his estate. Martha was the rich one. Freedom was provided for when she eventually died. 

Outside of that terrible tyranny at his farm, I think Washington is among the greatest men the western world has ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 3

As I recall from a bio about Washington (who is very interesting to me), the Constitutional Convention was illegally held under the rules of the Confederation. Washington's presence and prestige as chair of the convention likely made the creation of the Constitution possible. 
I truly believe that there is no United States without Washington. HIs greatness is diminished by his "possession" of people sold as slaves. I think he's the only slave-holding founder to provide (it wasn't just a matter of declaring an enslaved person free) for the eventual freedom of all people enslaved by his estate. Martha was the rich one. Freedom was provided for when she eventually died. 
Outside of that terrible tyranny at his farm, I think Washington is among the greatest men the western world has ever seen.
Nah, he was as much a piece of shit as the rest of them when it came to slavery.

https://www.history.com/news/george-washington-and-the-slave-who-got-away#:~:text=When%20One%20of%20George%20Washington's,of%20freedom%20in%20New%20Hampshire.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, Anastasis said:

Haley is a horrible person on her own unique merits. But this is certainly not something that helps. 

Why is this thread still going, Ana nails it. (Clinical evidence joke insert here:    😀)

Haley is talking about eliminating some (all?) social security and Medicare benefits for wealthy folks, and raising the retirement age. Shes proposing future changes. People closer to retirement age would still have the same system and benefit.

While Haley’s plan may sound reasonable at a shallow level, don’t let it fool anyone. Her plan is effectively eliminating Medicare and social security except for the very old. Think welfare for old people.

For the sake of rescuing SS, she wants to get rid of it. If you’re wealthy, it’s no big deal. Middle class, belt tightening but there will be fewer and fewer middle class people only.  Poor people? Prepare to work until 75 and the SS is counting on your dying before getting benefits.

• Hook 'Em 1

I deal with 75 year olds regularly in my job and imagining these people with jobs in 2023 is hilarious. No way 70% of them are employable in any way.

This isn't to say that they're stupid, but rather the pace of change in the workplace and their lack of technological know how as a generation makes them virtually unemployable by most businesses. Maybe future generations will stay tech savvy as they age and make the point moot.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I deal with 75 year olds regularly in my job and imagining these people with jobs in 2023 is hilarious. No way 70% of them are employable in any way.

This isn't to say that they're stupid, but rather the pace of change in the workplace and their lack of technological know how as a generation makes them virtually unemployable by most businesses. Maybe future generations will stay tech savvy as they age and make the point moot.

There is an old professor emeritus who pokes around in the lab I work in a few hours a week. If he wants to continue poking around, he has to watch all the bullshit safety training videos every few years. That time has come around again, and I have to show him to click the link on the email, navigate to the videos, sign in, and play the videos. I'm like, damn, this old guy probably can't even turn on his television. 

19 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

There is an old professor emeritus who pokes around in the lab I work in a few hours a week. If he wants to continue poking around, he has to watch all the bullshit safety training videos every few years. That time has come around again, and I have to show him to click the link on the email, navigate to the videos, sign in, and play the videos. I'm like, damn, this old guy probably can't even turn on his television. 

7C1FABE8-5750-4663-AF00-DC3BD3CEA386.jpeg.e9722d060d6caab26c589087b0e0251d.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

So I have been out of the news loop lately, but heard she has surpassed Meatball.  I know you need to be careful what you wish for, but I'd love to see her give Trump a bit of gastritis.

Lulz, Trump gives zero fucks about Haley or any of the ragtag bunch of losers/idiots "competing" in the GQP primary process. At best its just a dick-sucking contest for the VP slot or a place in his cabinet. The primary is a waste of time and money, but I assume they go through with the charade so they can point to Trump's lopsided victory as evidence of his greatness. 

idiocracy cabinet – STOP THESE THINGS

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Trump doesn’t hire people based on normal political metrics. He chooses people based on blind fealty or a person referred by one of his sycophants. 

Actually, it is all transactional with him.  How can he get what he wants and can they help is the only thought going through his mind.  If someone has no value, it doesn't matter if they offer their first born, he will set them up (which is of value)

edit: somebody forwarded me one of her emails.  Sounds like she's probably worried that Trump or DeSantis is going to start bringing up her background.

Ever since I launched my campaign for President, I have read and heard my life described in every way imaginable. Today, I want you to hear my story in MY words.

I am the daughter of legal immigrants from a small, rural town in South Carolina. We were the only Indian family in our town. My father wore a turban as he still does to this day, and my mother wore a sari. No one knew who we were, what we were, or why we were there. But with each passing day, the community began to look beyond our skin color. They began to see my family for who we are: hard working people who held the same values they cherished. Gradually, those initial stares transformed into smiles and we shifted from being excluded to embraced. Not every day was perfect. But every day was better than the one before it.

After graduating from Clemson and working in the corporate world, I decided to take a job working for my family's business that my mother started in our living room when I was a child. I was frustrated when I saw how hard it was to make a dollar and how easy it was for government to take it away. When I voiced these frustrations to my mom, she gave me some wise advice which was: "Don't complain. Do something about it." 

So, that's exactly what I did and I decided to run for state legislature. But it wasn't easy. I ran against the longest-serving legislator in the state and hardly anyone thought I had a chance. I was polling at 15 percent a week before the primary. But the people of South Carolina took a chance on me, and we won. 

It was an honor to serve the people as a state legislator. I fought against the status quo and stood up for the people of my district. When I fought for government transparency by pushing to make sure important votes were on the record, my colleagues retaliated. They stripped me of my committees. So I decided to run for governor. 

When I campaigned for governor, people didn't know who I was. I was polling in fourth place, with limited time until Election Day. I was the least funded and least known GOP candidate. But together, we defied expectations and won. Then, we made a difference in South Carolina by cutting taxes, creating thousands of jobs, and revitalizing our economy.

When I was nominated as Ambassador to the United Nations, people said I didn't have the experience. I proved them wrong. When I got to the UN, I took the "kick me" sign off our back. I told the world that America would have the backs of our allies, and for those who did not have our backs, we were taking names! The dictators, murderers, and thieves at the UN didn't know what hit them.

Now, I'm running for President because our country is heading down a path of doubt, division, and self-destruction. We need a leader who will rise to the occasion, offer solutions, and prioritize serving the people over the political class.

Laughing at the idea that only she could restore America's image, and also laughing that she was telling people we'd have our allies' backs while her boss Trump was trying to do the opposite, and he was literally saluting the people she's bitching about.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1