45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

it's a safe assumption to state that this particular judge doesn't have the chops to run her courtroom the way it should be run for an event like this.  there are judges that do have said bona fides and could easily reign in the circus, but she ain't one of 'em.

Soooooooo……Lance Ito with tits?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chooky said:

So the GOP officially has 20 adults in the House? I hope they continue to improve on that. Oh yeah, and fuck Nebraska. 

Also apparently don’t yet have anywhere close to the votes to impeach Mayorkas. A few GOP have actually said there’s no high crime or misdemeanors and bad politics isn’t a reason to impeach a cabinet secretary 

8 hours ago, Foosters said:

This site has a group of posters who love making fun of the gullible idiots on the right, while they feverishly post uncorroborated rumors, wild speculation, and straight up fake news bc it supports their viewpoint.

Get it together people.

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I feel like you're targeting me.  It's real to me, damn it. 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Marty is wrong.  It's not any decision and it's not to a "supervising judge."  

It's decisions pertaining to the handling of classified documents in court proceedings (and out).

Many of those issues arise in deciding how to handle the classified documents before the jury, so late in the case.

However, the government could move for a protective order early in the case and if she fucks that up, theres a highly expedited appeal to the 11th Circuit and the possibility that they remand it to a different judge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Marty is wrong.  It's not any decision and it's not to a "supervising judge."  

It's decisions pertaining to the handling of classified documents in court proceedings (and out).

Many of those issues arise in deciding how to handle the classified documents before the jury, so late in the case.

However, the government could move for a protective order early in the case and if she fucks that up, theres a highly expedited appeal to the 11th Circuit and the possibility that they remand it to a different judge.

thank god they’re not in the 5th

• Hook 'Em 1

Can you fucks speak in english?

The 5th circuit is a trumpy court. Thank god any Florida isn’t in that district, because any matter appealed to them may well result in an order to the lower court to “dismiss all charges against our lawful president, and order the Biden DOJ to apologize to his majesty.”
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

"The United States of America vs. Donald J Trump" (doesn't that sound wonderful?) under CIPA or Classified Information Procedures Act. That means that any ruling by Judge Cannon can be immediately appealed to a supervising Judge.

No, it does not mean that any ruling can be immediately appealed.  Rulings dealing with the secret docs, sure. 

She can fuck up a wide range of pre-trial stuff that has nothing to do with the docs and their classified status.  

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The 5th circuit is a trumpy court. Thank god any Florida isn’t in that district, because any matter appealed to them may well result in an order to the lower court to “dismiss all charges against our lawful president, and order the Biden DOJ to apologize to his majesty.”

You wanna know how stupid I am? I’m so fucking stupid I had a civil rights practice in a state where the Fifth Circuit hears federal district court appeals.  Bwahahaha!!

184B718C-91B1-46E0-BDE3-EDFE083F7069.gif.af7cf79058c3f8bf98efc5fa43a92c27.gif

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

thank god they’re not in the 5th

Fun fact.  Until 1981, there was no 11th Circuit, it was part of the 5th.

The 5th Circuit has only been a steaming heap of shit for about 15 years, about the time Edith Jones became Chief Judge in 2006.

And, for a while there, they were probably running neck and neck for most absurdly conservative court of appeals.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Just a thought and opinion, but the narrative continues to be that the Republican Party is now the Q party and run by Trump, but I don't think that's true.  Yes, in order to win, Trump did need the Q's and the crazies to win in 2016, and yes they did become more engaged and loud because of it, but ultimately that's not the bulk of the party.  Mind you I'm not excusing their behavior, nor am I excusing those that enabled them to meet their own political ends in the short term.  But to me, the truth is that the Republican Party is primarily now the baby boomer generation, combined with Christian fundamentalists, and the Q's.  

For the record, I know some here would identify with being in the baby boomer generation and perhaps take offense to that.  I'm painting in a broad stroke here, and of course these aren't universally true judgments.  

This is where there is good news.  The fact of the matter is, with each passing day there are less of the baby boomer generation alive, and that is only going to accelerate.  You only need to look at an actuary table and overlay it with the general population to see this, and it will continue to accelerate over the next 10 years.  In regards to the religious right, the fact of the matter is that Americans in general quite frankly are shunning organized religion, and educated people at an accelerated level.  As a lifelong atheist, I am very encouraged by this, particularly as the amount of Americans with at least some college continues to grow.  Lastly, the Q group are the types that get arrested and convicted of felonies, and their leadership is being ravaged by indictments.  

All this being said, the Republican Party currently has no real plan to attract new voters, they just rehash the same old bullshit to target these three groups.  Well, if these 3 groups are shrinking, that bodes well for the future.  

Rightly or wrongly, to me, the Trump era will always represent to me the last gasp of political power by the baby boomer generation.  A fitting end to the greediest generation in human history.  Quite frankly I look forward to a future without this group having much political clout.  I'm sure not everything will be perfect, and we will make bad choices as well, but I'm looking forward to that opportunity.  

So for all the people worried about the Q people, they have a point, but we now have an opportunity to win elections by just showing up and being involved.  These people will sulk back to their fucking shanties when do over and over again.  

It seems to me that when it comes to future new votes, they're largely dependent on their offspring (MAGAts) who are not yet of voting age. I have to think there will be a good number who reject what they've been indoctrinated to believe when they come of age. I could be wrong about that but regardless, there's no future for their species in the US politically. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Considering that he's admitted to intentionally taking the documents and there's no legal defense for his conduct, I'd give anything to know what his current team of ass clown lawyers is telling him about their strategy and his chances of beating this. As far as I can tell, jury nullification or Cannon dismissing the indictment just because are their only possible paths to victory. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Considering that he's admitted to intentionally taking the documents and there's no legal defense for his conduct, I'd give anything to know what his current team of ass clown lawyers is telling him about their strategy and his chances of beating this. As far as I can tell, jury nullification or Cannon dismissing the indictment just because are their only possible paths to victory. 

One strategy: Delay  through election, win with substitute electors chosen by compliant state legislatures in Wisconsin, Georgia, and others if need be, and after inaugurated either pardon himself or temporarily cede power via the 25th to Vice President Ward/Noem, who in turn pardons him. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Trumps strategy is two fold 

Delay until election- hope he’s elected and then quash. Or get pardoned by Republican president 

Jury nullification - he only needs one cult member on jury for an acquittal. If he can’t put one on there, he will bribe one. 

Even though there audio of him saying he did it. The chances of Trump getting convicted are low because America 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm guessing his dad's Walter and his mom's Christine. One tried and true indicator that you're a moron is naming your kid a portmanteau of the parents' names. 

Had to look that one up.  Still a bit confused though.

noun

a large trunk or suitcase, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Given the historic nature, I think this should be televised.  I also think a judge worth their salt would keep Dotard on a short leash.  But I’m not a lawyer, so I defer to those who have experience with this.

Agree. On the MSNBC coverage Tuesday, they discussed it and there was consensus that this is of such national importance that it should be completely transparent. If no cameras then at least audio. 

If Trump tries to put on a show in court, the people should see it. He'd likely end up in conflict with the judge whom he appointed if he disrupts order. 

He very may well try to rouse the rabble, but he does that almost daily over twitter, in appearances, and through his toadies on FOX and in Congress.

There should be allowance made for access to this in all workplaces. What will be will be. 

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Had to look that one up.  Still a bit confused though.

noun

a large trunk or suitcase, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.

I repped him for usage. The two equal parts is the key to expression. Two words are joined together just as a portmanteau (Think of Titanic and those big trunks that are set on end for hanging gowns and suits on one side and drawers for silk underwear on the other.) when it closes. 

I looked it up a few years ago. Useful word that I haven't yet used.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Delay until election- hope he’s elected and then quash. Or get pardoned by Republican president 

Jury nullification - he only needs one cult member on jury for an acquittal. If he can’t put one on there, he will bribe one. 

Even though there audio of him saying he did it. The chances of Trump getting convicted are low because America 

That's not jury nullification.  Nor is it an acquittal.  It's a hung jury mistrial.

He can be retried.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

He has little or no defense on the facts -- the merits -- unless somehow some of the witnesses are extremely not credible.  Unlikely.

There are a number of procedural stunts that might get him off, but they're longshots.

I saw an article that pointed out that all of the documents on which he is accused were part of the original 15 boxes or in response to the subpoena.  Looks like Smith might be trying to sidestep any issues with the search warrant.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He has little or no defense on the facts -- the merits -- unless somehow some of the witnesses are extremely not credible.  Unlikely.

There are a number of procedural stunts that might get him off, but they're longshots.

I saw an article that pointed out that all of the documents on which he is accused were part of the original 15 boxes or in response to the subpoena.  Looks like Smith might be trying to sidestep any issues with the search warrant.

What would you say are the chances of a superseding indictment?

More evidence that teh Donald is a dumb, arrogant cunt.  And that Chris Kise is the only decent lawyer* he's got.

https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=https%3A//www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/14/trump-indictment-classified-documents-settlement/#main-content

*half the business of any decent lawyer is telling his client he's a damn fool and should just stop.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

What would you say are the chances of a superseding indictment?

I'm going to guess, and it's just a guess, not very likely. 

I think Smith beat the bushes for what he's got and the likelihood of something else popping up is slim.  

Note that it would be very difficult for Smith to subpoena foreign "dignitaries" to a US grand jury and also difficult to secure testimony for trial.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't often worry about perceived bias in trial judges in criminal matters because even the pro-prosecution types I've seen over the years, despite their efforts, don't tend to muck things up too badly.  Nonetheless, this judge has shown her stripes and willingness to go to bat for Don-Don, and her ability to assist him with the delay strategy is unquestionable.  

As for true-believers making it onto the panel and hanging the jury, thus leading to a mistrial, I'm usually not too worried about this.  Those people exist in NY and DC as well, yet we still have a verdict for EJC over Trump (civil) and several jury convictions of January 6 types.  Jurors, by and large, try to do a good job as far as we can tell from the outside, and one with heavy bias probably is easier for the Govt to sniff out than we think.  But what's concerning to me in this Federal criminal case not only is the trial judge's ability not only to rule one-sidedly on strikes in voir dire, but also the fact that she, as opposed to counsel,  conducts voir dire.  To the extent I'm worried about an unbiased jury's being seated, that worry stems from the trial judge's ability to sniff them out actively and to be able to overrule valid challenges for cause on the Govt's part.  Of course, this is appealable.  But see delay tactics above.

All that said, I'm an optimist.  I think he's going down.  I know why some of you feel differently, and I understand.  But I just have a feeling about this one.  I hope I'm right.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

His team isn’t telling him anything about their strategy. He’s telling them what it is. He wouldn’t have it any other way.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

These people will NEVER change their minds if they didn’t after 2017-2020. No point in listening to them 

It doesn't help that Trump continually lies, and FOX News just parrots those lies.  Take the Presidential Records Act -- I've seen a half dozen interviews and analyses by archives lawyers who are quite clear that, come January 20, 2021 all government records immediately transfered ownership to the National Archives.  Full stop.  Trump continues to push the false narrative that he had the right to take and "declassify" what he wanted, and the base believes him.  FOX probably doesn't even seek out the truth.  It's maddening.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated