True Detective: Night Country (Season 4)

mdmost

I made it 30 minutes and tapped out.

Blair Witch Project  meets Mystery, Alaska without the hockey...

I did watch S2.  Never watched S3.  Loved S1, just like most everyone on here.

Edited by slorch

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

I made it 30 minutes and tapped out.

Blair Witch Project  meets Mystery, Alaska without the hockey...

I did watch S2.  Never watched S4.  Loved S1, just like most everyone on here.

Slorch’d!

(jk) sorry you didn’t care for it. I’m intrigued and looking forward to next week. 

Also, this is season 4….

Edited by DDD Dad

57 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Slorch’d!

(jk) sorry you didn’t care for it. I’m intrigued and looking forward to next week. 

Also, this is season 4….

To be fair I had to start Mad Men 3 times before I got into it, and it became one of my alltime favorites.  Hated it at first.

Edited by slorch

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

To be fair I had to start Med Men 3 times before I got into it, and it became one of my alltime favorites.  Hated it at first.

If you liked that one there’s this show called Mad Men you should check out as well 

• Haha 3

As someone who has done quite a bit of work in Alaska, I really wonder if the creator has ever spent time in Alaska at all. Everything from the layout of the city (this is trying to replicate Nome or Utqiagvik but it is way too big) to the vibes of the stores is just so off. 

57 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

As someone who has done quite a bit of work in Alaska, I really wonder if the creator has ever spent time in Alaska at all. Everything from the layout of the city (this is trying to replicate Nome or Utqiagvik but it is way too big) to the vibes of the stores is just so off. 

I think the creator is from Mexico and all her prior stuff does not have the best of reviews. She said she was approached by HBO due to a movie she made with super natural elements. I like others taped out about caring who done it after the first episode but will watch till the end because of Jodie Foster.

p.s. I have never been to Alaska and I kept thinking what kind of town that far north in Alaska has more than two cops and is that big.

Edited by DanTheHorn

All those talking about this having "The Thing" vibes.

Spoiler

López started to concoct a stew that combined her love of Holmes with some other pop culture fascinations, including the detective team in David Fincher’s “Seven,” the Arctic terror of John Carpenter‘s “The Thing” and a general interest in the real-life “unsolved mysteries of humankind.” She let it boil, and then put it aside. Then HBO called, asking her what she would do if she were handed the reins to the “True Detective” franchise.

10 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Kinda weird that nobody once mentioned the screaming corpse in tonight’s episode.

Because it happened before the opening song.  They mention the dude is in the hospital in an induced coma.  Then it gets pushed out the way by all the other clues / info that comes up in the ep.  The trailer looks like it shows Jodie questioning him about the night.

I like the show.  Getting cult-y / voodoo-y like season 1.  

It's still hard to figure out the timeline because of the always dark shit.  Like this ep 2 took place in one day I think...but seems like 2. I would assume wearing a watch would be a requirement up there.

Edited by utxmike05
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm digging it so far. Liking the callbacks to season 1. Interested to see how Rust Cohle's ghost dad plays into this. The Tuttle connection could be interesting. I'm not hating any of the characters too much. Jodi Foster has been great. I'm excited. It's been much better than the first few episodes of the last two seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I'm digging it so far. Liking the callbacks to season 1. Interested to see how Rust Cohle's ghost dad plays into this. The Tuttle connection could be interesting. I'm not hating any of the characters too much. Jodi Foster has been great. I'm excited. It's been much better than the first few episodes of the last two seasons. 

This.

I watched all of them with Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell..this is more intriguing based on the first 2 episodes.

The frozen dude gave me "sloth" from Se7en vibes.  

fa22bf5eb6eb68664ef68ecc77128fe8516d8db4

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Because it happened before the opening song.  They mention the dude is in the hospital in an induced coma.  Then it gets pushed out the way by all the other clues / info that comes up in the ep.  The trailer looks like it shows Jodie questioning him about the night.

I like the show.  Getting cult-y / voodoo-y like season 1.  

It's still hard to figure out the timeline because of the always dark shit.  Like this ep 2 took place in one day I think...but seems like 2. I would assume wearing a watch would be a requirement up there.

I am liking it, too.  I imagine if the Cohle thing is anything more than an Easter Egg, it's his brother, not his father given timelines.  But who knows?  My guess is that none of the easter eggs really pay off and it's all fan/Reddit service.  My prediction is that the one dude not in the ice went nutso and walked everyone out there, and Jodie Foster more or less told us exactly what happened in her lesson to the young cop in the hockey rink (hypothermia induced psychosis, etc.).  The only thing weird is that the TikTok cooks phone went haywire right after the guy said "She's awake".   Anyway, Season 3 was the same way, and it basically told us so in the episodes leading to the finale - but we wanted something much more sinister.  All that said, I am enjoiyng it and looking forward to the internet losing its shit when nothing extraordinary happens vis a vis all the random theories.  

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Gonna have to rally to get to where season 1 was.  Still in but it’s struggling a bit…

This shit is worse than season 3. It’s like Foster is cosplaying Harrelson from S1. I’m out on this one - it’s a steaming pile of shit and has worse writing and acting than a network mini series. 

There is a bit more creepy for the sake of creepy to this season than i would prefer.  it's hard to describe how they did it so perfectly in season one but they just did and they've been chasing it ever since.  

i am still in and i am interested in where it is going but it would be nice if there was just an occasional sense of normal life and not everyone being a stoic, unredeemable asshole with a totally fucked up life and horrible interpersonal relationships incapable of making a decent decision.

the older detective prior allowing himself to be catfished feels unrealistic, the amount of shit the younger prior takes off jodie seems unrealistic, the stereotypical everyone talks to ghosts because there are indigenous people around, the jodie just being a bulldozing bitch to literally everyone.  

the interpersonal stuff between jodie and the trooper is fucking tired.  knock that shit out in ep 1 and let them start working together.  again, they nailed that with matthew and woody...that they annoyed each other (even fucked the other's wife)...but there was at least some helpful dialogue and professional working relationship and respect between them.  it wasn't just this constantly miserable "fuck you, fuck you" trope.

so far, the teacher that jodie went to consult, her daughter's underaged girlfriend, and the bartender that trooper keeps bootycalling are the only people i don't hate.

It's trying to be a darker twin peaks but without any of the enjoyable parts.  hopefully now that our two main characters are going to start collaborating, it will become a bit more enjoyable.

• Hook 'Em 6

23 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This shit is worse than season 3. It’s like Foster is cosplaying Harrelson from S1. I’m out on this one - it’s a steaming pile of shit and has worse writing and acting than a network mini series. 

It’s pretty bad.  The laughing and taking selfies with the frozen crew was so insane.  And how realistic for a hs girl to see those bodies in defrost mode and just act like no big deal.  I’ll keep watching, but it sucks.  
Also hard to give a fuck about any of the characters.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I liked episode 1. episode 2 was rough. Like anyone off the street can just waltz in to the arena and check on the status of the thaw?

I assume the corpse scream was intended to just be gas escaping from a thawing body. But will probably lead to something later on.

still interested to see what the polar bear angle is all about.

and what spooked the elk in the opening scene of the series (or was that supposed to have timed up with when the dude inside Tsalal said “She’s awake”)

and how will the cross necklace Navarro threw in the middle of the road come back later?  (She’s sucks by the way. I think her acting is awful)

Am I asking the right questions, Jodie?

Edited by UTexasFight

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I assume the corpse scream was intended to just be gas escaping from a thawing body. But will probably lead to something later on.

No the dude was still alive. Craziest fucking thing anyone has ever seen and it went unmentioned the rest of the episode (aside from the brief "he's in a coma" scene). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm enjoying it. I'm not looking for it to match season 1. That's never going to happen again. I just want a good story, some creepiness, and the usual cop/deeply flawed hero construct this series is all about. 

I also thought the screaming was gas expelling from the uncovered bodies. I'm curious how they're going to make that work when all the rest of the people went crazy and clawed themselves to death. How did this one guy survive?

• Like 1

Nic Pizzolatto isnt involved in this.  The opening says based on True Dectective, so it's kind of its own animal riding the coat tails.

That said, I've enjoyed it.  Something about the 30 days of night is a spooky and interesting setting, even if not totally accurate.

Also, apparently a similar event happend in the 50s where a bunch of russians went running naked in the snow which was an inspiration for this show.

https://screenrant.com/true-detective-night-country-true-story-inspirations-explained/

• Hook 'Em 1

I need a roster now as I can’t keep up with Danvers relationships, dead husbands, exes, fuck buddies, kids, step kids, whatever.

Hockey League and figure skate class will have to deal with the huge blood and body fluid stain on the ice.

• Hook 'Em 1