2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

44 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Am I wrong to think we can do better than the Purdue WR in the portal?

While his numbers aren't phenomenal - he's a plus athlete who put up good numbers and had some highlight plays - he could easily step into the slot role.  Texas is likely going to get a WR1 out of the portal - Burks would be a top of the line WR2 or 3 depending on if one of the young kids steps up.  Burks made All Big10 second team despite playing for a shitty Purdue team.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Quinn/Arch

Baxter/Blue/Gipson

Juice/Burks/Cook/Moore/Wingo

Banks/Conner/Majors/Campbell/Williams

Helm/Davis/Portal TE? 

I can dig it. 

Yep, and while our run D will likely take a hit (can’t be #1 forever) our pass rush should take a step up and the safety play should improve. I don’t think we take as big a step back next year as I’d originally thought.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

While his numbers aren't phenomenal - he's a plus athlete who put up good numbers and had some highlight plays - he could easily step into the slot role.  Texas is likely going to get a WR1 out of the portal - Burks would be a top of the line WR2 or 3 depending on if one of the young kids steps up.  Burks made All Big10 second team despite playing for a shitty Purdue team.

When Washington, USC, and Oregon want a WR that should tell you something. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Quinn/Arch

Baxter/Blue/Gipson

Juice/Burks/Cook/Moore/Wingo

Banks/Conner/Majors/Campbell/Williams

Helm/Davis/Portal TE? 

I can dig it. 

Wisner and Clark ain't too Shabby neither. 

We need an experienced, assignment sound LB as much as anything IMO.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How much of this is just basic negotiation - threatening to walk if the sales manager doesn't knock off the clear coat and $1500 under invoice?   Also unlike at Texas, getting in the MF at that place probably doesn't close the door on going back either since they are so desperate.  

With the 48 hour period to stop them via negotiation, typically if they enter they are going to move on. 

47 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

There's (sic) excellent corners in the portal?

And even if there were, why would they go to your dumpster fire when they could go literally anywhere else?

BECUZ WERE RICH, AND A BLUE-BLOOD IN OUR OWN MINDS!

EVERBODY WANTS TO PLAY AT TEXAS A&M (except for a lot of our current players who were never any good and we let experience the wonders of Aggyland out of the goodness of our heart).

WOOP!!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How much of this is just basic negotiation - threatening to walk if the sales manager doesn't knock off the clear coat and $1500 under invoice?   Also unlike at Texas, getting in the MF at that place probably doesn't close the door on going back either since they are so desperate.  

acmkz5tnjyej1k6faodk_400x400.jpeg

30 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

*her

I was wondering.  I didn't think the righteous ones in gomersville would tolerate a trans mascot.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They had the issue last cycle. It was a mix of both, some were testing for more cash while others were clearly set on leaving.

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yep, and while our run D will likely take a hit (can’t be #1 forever) our pass rush should take a step up and the safety play should improve. I don’t think we take as big a step back next year as I’d originally thought.

I fully expect, if Ewers is back, that we will be a better team and more talented next year than this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Here comes the meltdown

Texas A&M defensive lineman Walter Nolen, the No. 1 overall player available in the Transfer Portal, is going to be one of the most sought after prospects in the 2024 portal cycle. After formally entering his name into the Transfer Portal on Wednesday afternoon, Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis made contact with the Memphis area native, Nolen’s father, Walter Sr., tells Horns247.

“Just announcing that Texas will be interested and they’d love to have him,” Walter Nolen Sr. relayed to Horns247 of what Davis told them.

Nolen, originally a five-star recruit in the class of 2022, wasn’t heavily recruited by the Longhorns out of high school. He’s never visited the Forty Acres.

“I don’t know,” Nolen Sr. said of whether they’ll get to Texas. “It’s going to come down to whatever little Walt wants to do, whatever schools are on his list. We haven’t had that conversation just yet.”

It’s been a busy day for the Nolen family.

“Quite a bit,” Nolen’s dad said of schools reaching out. “A bunch.”

But it shouldn’t be too long before there’s some finality to what the standout prospect will end up doing.

“If I had to guess I think he’s trying to be enrolled for spring, by like the middle of January,” Nolen Sr. said.

And despite a few weeks to decide on what he’ll end up doing, Nolen’s father isn’t ruling any program out at this point.

“Everybody’s got a chance right now,” he said.

Obviously his son was playing for the Aggies this season, so Nolen’s dad was preoccupied with Texas A&M games for the most part. But he did catch a little UT football.

“I watched some of that Texas and Bama game,” he said. “It was a good game. I watched a little bit of this championship game, but they kind of took off so quick.”

There are no visits set up to this point for Nolen.

For the season, Nolen racked up 37 tackles, including 8.5 tackles for a loss, and 4 sacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I realize it’s no surprise to this board, but Bobby threw cold water all over Nolan to Texas on the Andy Staples pod today. Basically said it’s a repeat of Bear Alexander for Texas.

Unmotivated large humans don’t interest me.    You can change that, but it takes time.  

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I realize it’s no surprise to this board, but Bobby threw cold water all over Nolan to Texas on the Andy Staples pod today. Basically said it’s a repeat of Bear Alexander for Texas.

That's fine, we're going to get some great screenshots out of it which is more than worth it

20 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Here comes the meltdown

Yeesh, I want no part of this guy. At least at the price it’s going to take to get him. 

His dad isn’t even committing to him making to a campus by spring ball. Caring about money is fine, but at some point you need to at least pretend to prioritize football. 

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.